Shit's Borked

RPM

10 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Just a heads up - the posting thing is back to that thing where they take forever.

Right when the soccer board is about to light up

Yep, same issue here.

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Google password doesn't mean shit. You need 2fa.

I don’t know about yous guys, but I’ve got it up to my ears in 2fa in real life that you might as well be the power company telling me to set my thermostat at 78 degrees. I ain’t gonna do it, I’d rather inchworm have my throwaway email address and phone number for spam; everyone else already does anyways. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

"What's a CTJ?"  "What are they obsessed with cheese?"  "Why is everything so 'regarded'?"

Who is South Austin and why is his mom so fucking popular?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, farmersnotfighting said:

is writing a password on paper perfect or great? no. is it less likely to be stolen than a file on your computer? yes... or probably. as long as you have a safe place for it that your wife/kids/dog can't get to it or damage it. 

My wife and I both work in the living room, so she could look at my passwords or simply look at me typing them in, but the bitch tends to put her teapot on the notepad I have my passwords written on so they get all smeared and shit and you can’t read them anyways, leaving me to use “p@ssw0rd1234” as my default password.

Here we are on a typical day, her on her Epson couchtop, I on my Epson tablestation.

working.thumb.jpg.4459d835f46c3fb723f5efaf305b7cf8.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, farmersnotfighting said:

you would be horrified to see how shitty some networks are only held up by gum and rubber bands, including major companies. the real world isn't a security+/cissp textbook.

I remember when Code Red and then Nimda hit and forced us to take our networks offline temporarily, and all of us still on OS/2 or who had moved to Linux were looking at the Windows users like

Soft GIF

14 hours ago, Rimbo said:

please do not use lastpass

1password and bitwarden

Real talk, because of past security issues?

Ive tried all 3, currently paying for bitwarden, and i find lastpass usability the best. 

starting to migrate over apples built-in icloud keychain manager thing tho

12 hours ago, farmersnotfighting said:

lol. neither did fireeye/mandiant when they got hacked. neither did RSA. neither did solarwinds. neither did FUCKING MICROSOFT. i'm not saying they're good. i'm saying they're not dog shit like you're suggesting. 
and again, at every org, security is understaffed, always screaming for changes and being ignored by management. every single company. that's not unique to lastpass. 
i do this for a living. i have seen a lot of organizations. fortune 10 and small orgs. including other security companies. i can count on one hand the number of orgs i've done engagements for where i never said "what the fuck are you doing here" and none of them were the security companies. you would be horrified to see how shitty some networks are only held up by gum and rubber bands, including major companies. the real world isn't a security+/cissp textbook.

image.jpeg.2975bff1ce4e6b98ee7b6f6481d38dea.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

17 hours ago, immamac said:

Taking a nap. I'm exhausted so if your PII request is delayed that's why. 

The security of the internets foremost texas longhorns website all depends on the sleeping schedule of 1 guy. 

Sounds like the perfect presidential candidate. 

5 hours ago, 52-80 said:
20 hours ago, Rimbo said:

please do not use lastpass

1password and bitwarden

Ive tried all 3, currently paying for bitwarden, and i find lastpass usability the best. 

It really comes down to this - when you are in the security business, it's kind of a 1 strike and you're out type business. Lastpass being hacked pretty much would be the threshold for me. Their handling since then has made it much MUCH worse. Frankly their metric isn't about usability but security and they have fallen well short of it.

If you care to read more here are two things, this guys site has a lot of details on the hack, but he is not very kind on it:

Their PR statement on the primary hack was torn apart here: https://palant.info/2022/12/26/whats-in-a-pr-statement-lastpass-breach-explained/

A follow-up a year later by the same guy was kind of scathing too: https://palant.info/2023/09/05/a-year-after-the-disastrous-breach-lastpass-has-not-improved/

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

It really comes down to this - when you are in the security business, it's kind of a 1 strike and you're out type business. Lastpass being hacked pretty much would be the threshold for me. Their handling since then has made it much MUCH worse. Frankly their metric isn't about usability but security and they have fallen well short of it.

If you care to read more here are two things, this guys site has a lot of details on the hack, but he is not very kind on it:

Their PR statement on the primary hack was torn apart here: https://palant.info/2022/12/26/whats-in-a-pr-statement-lastpass-breach-explained/

A follow-up a year later by the same guy was kind of scathing too: https://palant.info/2023/09/05/a-year-after-the-disastrous-breach-lastpass-has-not-improved/

Pulling PII is one thing, but when the hackers OPENLY ADMIT they have source code for LP, I'm out.  Delete / purge account, and on to the next best-in-class competitor.  

It used to be if a company had an issue, they would be the place to go because it would be so over-corrective of a fix they weren’t letting whatever happen again. 

Now though? You have this, and worse than before, or something like Boeing, and their constant stepping on their own balls. 

You’d think after the Max fiasco they would be johnny on the spot, but nope. And here we are. Whatever makes the stock go up. 

• Hook 'Em 2

CP enjoys a monopoly.  They are not concerned about customers, the customers have no choice.  

CP may or may not have benefited from favorable county and state shenanigans.

CP doesn't give 2 shi1ts if you don't have power.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Quiestion for the masses:

When we do have an inchworm situation, is there a place where comms are happening? Surly's twitter handle last activity was like 2021 I think, at least from my googling.

56 minutes ago, TOR said:

CP enjoys a monopoly.  They are not concerned about customers, the customers have no choice.  

CP may or may not have benefited from favorable county and state shenanigans.

CP doesn't give 2 shi1ts if you don't have power.   

Austin Energy says HI.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vegas64 said:

When we do have an inchworm situation, is there a place where comms are happening? Surly's twitter handle last activity was like 2021 I think, at least from my googling.

The site was down, Inchworm out front should have told ya. 

John Candy Tribute: Big Laughs on the Big Screen — SteelStacks

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Vegas64 said:

There were a few of us on discord, but that place is littered with old game threads which need trimmed.

Edited by elfenix

Is there a 2FA option that doesn't require us to open the app on our phone then type in a code? Other accounts I have with 2FA will let me approve from the app itself, rather than entering a code. Even better ones will have a popup notification on my phone immediately after I attempt to login and I just have to swipe approval, and the best ones have trusted locations (like, if I'm sitting at my desk at home, it usually automatically approves my login (if it doesn't detect my location, I just have to swipe), but if I'm in another part of the house it doesn't...so they've got the location thing narrowed down pretty damn tight).

13 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Is there a 2FA option that doesn't require us to open the app on our phone then type in a code? Other accounts I have with 2FA will let me approve from the app itself, rather than entering a code. Even better ones will have a popup notification on my phone immediately after I attempt to login and I just have to swipe approval, and the best ones have trusted locations (like, if I'm sitting at my desk at home, it usually automatically approves my login (if it doesn't detect my location, I just have to swipe), but if I'm in another part of the house it doesn't...so they've got the location thing narrowed down pretty damn tight).

I'm working on something more seamless. 

Security questions are a good 2FA as well for now. 

I changed my password, not to password, and then I saw that my e-mail address used is way out of date and a Yahoo one I never use, and have not for many years.

I tried to change the e-mail address to the only one I use and it said that e-mail address is currently being used by another person but, it is mine and I am the only one who uses that one.

How can I go about changing the e-mail address?

we have discord and twitter, I was more concerned with actioning than communication. I am gonna make some static status pages for next time.

I used to love when my managers would stand behind me at the data center racks while I was trying to fix something. “Was that light blinking before? I don’t think it was blinking before. Why is it red?”

Hey man, I can either fix the problem or stand here taking to you. Which would you prefer?

39 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I changed my password, not to password, and then I saw that my e-mail address used is way out of date and a Yahoo one I never use, and have not for many years.

I tried to change the e-mail address to the only one I use and it said that e-mail address is currently being used by another person but, it is mine and I am the only one who uses that one.

How can I go about changing the e-mail address?

send me an email rick@surlyhorns.com we will deal with it there.

13 hours ago, 52-80 said:

To paraphrase Mitch Hedberg, they used to have them, but they still do, too. They are to password managers what OceanGate was to submarines.

There's some basic protections you need to have in place, and they didn't have them. Then they were hacked. Then they were hacked again. And both times, their response was to defend their known bad practices, rather than to do everything possible to fix them. The people running the company then are the people running the company now.

I like their UI, too. But I wouldn't store anything in their system that I wouldn't want made public. So passwords are out. :) 

5 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

To paraphrase Mitch Hedberg, they used to have them, but they still do, too. They are to password managers what OceanGate was to submarines.

There's some basic protections you need to have in place, and they didn't have them. Then they were hacked. Then they were hacked again. And both times, their response was to defend their known bad practices, rather than to do everything possible to fix them. The people running the company then are the people running the company now.

I like their UI, too. But I wouldn't store anything in their system that I wouldn't want made public. So passwords are out. :) 

MY pw was 'hotbrandywithtats001' and so far so good.