Shit's Borked

RPM

2 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

If anyone’s a victim it’s me. Shopify is taking forever to publish my Trump shirt. How am I supposed to post the link everywhere and make money?

Are we doing like a Trump earmuffs or headphones thing, being seasonably dependent?  I mean, we could easily raise enough money for a Surly suite in during the next few weeks.  

What about like a MAGA red skullcap with the little red dangly ears thing they have on the Nordic ski caps?  Or like a Mike Tyson eating ears thing?  I dunno, there's a buncha ways we can monetize this.  

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, immamac said:

I'm actually juggling 2 children under 5 am not at home and logged in after getting texts to a complete shit show disaster so I called Black lab and told him to shut shit down and lay down the law. 

Some of us have fucking lives that aren't this god damned community. It's fucking bullshit that I can't trust you mother fuckers to not sit here and celebrate an assassination attempt on a political candidate in the United States. 

image.png.a574698668958d4214028849beede44e.png

Spoiler

(jokes)

6 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Holy shit, who'd be celebrating this?  This is the absolute worst thing that could happen.  And I hate Trump as much as anybody.

I see you don't know your Valkyrie.  The handmaids of the Gods.  Left behind as insurance policy to direct humanity back on course.  They are dancing in Valhalla.  

I'm just now getting out from putting my children to bed. My 4 1/2 year old who is asking why people are trying to kill Trump. Who is wondering what is happening and if someone is going to kill Biden. 

When a fucking 4 year old has more of a grip on reality than some of the posters here it makes me sad. This is absolutely insane and I came to the board trying to see what was happening and I see people actively celebrating and making light of things. I deleted that thread and I didn't have time to go look at the trump thread but I called Blacklab and told him I wasn't able to look and broke the news to him. I told him to lock shit down and remove anything remotely celebrating or inviting this. 

I'm now reading through things, but saying this is anything even close to remotely normal or approaching January 6th is actually fucking stupid. January 6th was terrible and this an actual assassination of a political candidate for President of the United States of America is fucking way worse. Stop treating this like a fun event like sports. Grow up. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, immamac said:

My 4 1/2 year old who is asking why people are trying to kill Trump. Who is wondering what is happening and if someone is going to kill Biden. 

Honest question. When did your 4 1/2 learn those names? I’ve got an older kid than that who is pretty hip to shit, and we haven’t even touched on that yet. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Da Fino said:

Honest question. When did your 4 1/2 learn those names? I’ve got an older kid than that who is pretty hip to shit, and we haven’t even touched on that yet. 

And why does your 4 1/2 year old even know about this yet? Maybe I’m just naive because I haven’t had WiFi, cable, or normal power for a few days. 

7 hours ago, immamac said:

I'm now reading through things, but saying this is anything even close to remotely normal or approaching January 6th is actually fucking stupid. January 6th was terrible and this an actual assassination of a political candidate for President of the United States of America is fucking way worse. Stop treating this like a fun event like sports. Grow

Well I guess this is why. This is no worse than January 6th to me. Several people died in that in case you forgot. In fact it's a shitload more common. In the 20th century alone it happened 7 or 8 times. January 6th was a much more rare event. Feel free to call me stupid though.

• Hook 'Em 6

3 hours ago, G650 said:

Well I guess this is why. This is no worse than January 6th to me. Several people died in that in case you forgot. In fact it's a shitload more common. In the 20th century alone it happened 7 or 8 times. January 6th was a much more rare event. Feel free to call me stupid though.

Yeah, put me in the boat that thinks a sitting President inviting thousands of the looniest of loons to Washington, riling them up with blatant lies about stolen elections, telling them to march on the Capitol, and then acting surprised when they violently do so on national television is worse than the Secret Service fucking up enough to let a single loon within reasonable rifle distance. 

Neither should be celebrated, but it's not even close as to which event is more embarrassing for our country.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

Yeah, put me in the boat that thinks a sitting President inviting thousands of the looniest of loons to Washington, riling them up with blatant lies about stolen elections, telling them to march on the Capitol, and then acting surprised when they violently do so on national television is worse than the Secret Service fucking up enough to let a single loon within reasonable rifle distance. 

Neither should be celebrated, but it's not even close as to which event is more embarrassing for our country.

Right right so because he missed it's a nothing burger. Totally makes sense. 

Just now, aggie08 said:

Not at all what I said, but cool.

No what you said is ridiculous because you would never say that if the Republican parties nominee was assassinated yesterday and you know it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, immamac said:

No what you said is ridiculous because you would never say that if the Republican parties nominee was assassinated yesterday and you know it. 

...but he wasn't. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, aggie08 said:

...but he wasn't. 

That's the weird thing about assassination attempts. It doesn't matter about the outcome. The outcome is a separate event. The fact is that there was an assassination attempt. If that is normalized or thought of as not a big deal because they didn't succeed that opens up the door to normalization of language around assassination attempts, it lets people think it's okay to root for additional attempts and it makes the rhetoric around the entire country leading to such a heinous act to be turned up instead of turned down. 

Be better than that. You can talk about it however you want with your friends and in private it won't be on here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

No what you said is ridiculous because you would never say that if the the rioters were able to reach the politicians that they were actively looking for in the Capitol and mob mentality resulted in their deaths and you know it.

See, I can play that game too.

Just now, aggie08 said:

No what you said is ridiculous because you would never say that if the the rioters were able to reach the politicians that they were actively looking for in the Capitol and mob mentality resulted in their deaths and you know it.

See, I can play that game too.

That's wrong because there is a thread here showing that and there's a thread specifically for finding and putting those people on blast. 

They are both big deals. They are both likely related. The point is the temperature needs to be turned down not up or left the same. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

That's the weird thing about assassination attempts. It doesn't matter about the outcome. The outcome is a separate event. The fact is that there was an assassination attempt. If that is normalized or thought of as not a big deal because they didn't succeed that opens up the door to normalization of language around assassination attempts, it lets people think it's okay to root for additional attempts and it makes the rhetoric around the entire country leading to such a heinous act to be turned up instead of turned down. 

Be better than that. You can talk about it however you want with your friends and in private it won't be on here. 

I'm not normalizing it, brushing it off, or minimizing what it means in any way, shape, or form. It sucks, and it's only going to make things measurably worse. 

Just remarking how crazy it is that January 6th has essentially been normalized already.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Whatever. You guys don't want cloak room anymore? How about that?

I mean, I'm not some noted CR poster, but that pretty much is a slap to a shitload of people because one or two dudes said something stupid.

All I am saying is Jan 6th is the most consequential event of my lifetime, only thing close is 9/11. This to me isn't superseding that. Feel free to disagree but I'm not the one calling you stupid for your take.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, G650 said:

I mean, I'm not some noted CR poster, but that pretty much is a slap to a shitload of people because one or two dudes said something stupid.

All I am saying is Jan 6th is the most consequential event of my lifetime, only thing close is 9/11. This to me isn't superseding that. Feel free to disagree but I'm not the one calling you stupid for your take.

And I'm saying I don't think this community can handle this event. Have you seen some of the unhinged stuff I've had to delete and ban people for? 

I do not recall there being support for people on the Capitol to kill people or actually interfere with the election. Everyone thought that was the wrong way to do things and that what was happening got way the fuck out of hand. 

It's actually crazy that people are on this board or really anywhere saying the shit they are saying encouraging this assassination attempt. 

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

That's wrong because there is a thread here showing that and there's a thread specifically for finding and putting those people on blast. 

They are both big deals. They are both likely related. The point is the temperature needs to be turned down not up or left the same. 

I'd argue that focusing on the rioters and putting them on blast--when they truly believed (the useful idiots they are) that they were patriots fighting back because the Presidency had been fraudulently usurped--has entirely missed the point of that day and distracted from the actions and rhetoric of their thought leaders in the weeks leading up to it, but that's for another forum. And completely not the point you were getting at. Derail over.

37 minutes ago, immamac said:

Have you seen some of the unhinged stuff I've had to delete and ban people for

Obviously not, which is why I asked the question in the first place

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, G650 said:

Obviously not, which is why I asked the question in the first place

Yeah it's not the normal tame stuff that's not why I'm agitated. It's completely insane people calling for additional attempts, creating fanfic fantasies about it succeeding etc etc. It's disgusting. 

8 minutes ago, immamac said:

Yeah it's not the normal tame stuff that's not why I'm agitated. It's completely insane people calling for additional attempts, creating fanfic fantasies about it succeeding etc etc. It's disgusting. 

Whos posting that sort of thing? Name em and shame em if they're regulars

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

Deletions and bans work just fine. 

Not if you want the community to police itself. A paper trail of their bad behavior makes it easier for the community to recognize and ignore shitheels, rather than the constant revolving door of troll socks.

Definitely still delete and ban the posts, no need to host that kind of shit content, but don't let them get away quietly. It leaves the door open for them to come back later when things have calmed

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

My shit appears to be borked. There’s CR going on in the thread made for forum issues. It’s my fault for sitting here reading it but I intentionally stay out of CR. Nut cases on both sides make it a miserable place.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Maybe I should blame Chrome or Crowd strike or something else, but the site seems to be acting differently today. The page is reloading randomly, and when I leave the page and then return, it often reloads. This also deletes anything that was saved when editing a post and sometimes the content written into a draft post. Seems to be mostly happening on the Ukraine thread (haven't been able to replicate it elsewhere). 

Edited by KYHorn

I visited surly for the first time in a long time while not logged in. Holy cow, the site looks completely infected. No one who visits the site realizes that if you get an account and log in that those ads go away. It keeps the site from growing. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I visited surly for the first time in a long time while not logged in. Holy cow, the site looks completely infected. No one who visits the site realizes that if you get an account and log in that those ads go away. It keeps the site from growing. 

pm derka

1 hour ago, KYHorn said:

Maybe I should blame Chrome or Crowd strike or something else, but the site seems to be acting differently today. The page is reloading randomly, and when I leave the page and then return, it often reloads. This also deletes anything that was saved when editing a post and sometimes the content written into a draft post. Seems to be mostly happening on the Ukraine thread (haven't been able to replicate it elsewhere). 

Glad it’s not just me. This has been happening to me for several days. I only browse from mobile iOS and pages randomly reload and it doesn’t reliably go to last unread.

• Hook 'Em 2

Not broken but a minor nitpick, when you are doing multi-quote and you decide that you want to NOT quote the posts, the X to quote them is behind the TOP OF PAGE button. On a computer with a clear pointer tip of the mouse all isn't too bad, but on a phone this appears a little below and sometimes you can hit the TOP OF PAGE instead of the X and it's a pain. 

This is in Chrome on Window (the screen shot), Chrome Mac acts the same and iPhone Chrome as well:

image.png.14155659a007607b1b15fcb060ff5107.png

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Well if you're going to move the $9.95 board after the football/Olympics, you should do it for the links up top too! 

It's gonna go away after the Olympics and then I'll do it.