Put in the big hole and gouge on it (truck driver check in)

drifter379

• 3 weeks later...

The new (reman) motor I put in ole Sparkle Cake spun the main bearings climbing the Cumberland Gap in Maryland last Friday. The motor was installed 7/16/24 have exactly 11535 miles on it. As you can imagine I’m not very happy about it. Waiting on warranty to decide what they are going to do about it. 
Fortunately my new company is letting me lease a truck from them while it gets sorted. Unfortunately it’s a Freightliner Cascadia. 
IMG_0726.thumb.jpeg.c8444955e002d1e4a5a43e9545dff2c1.jpegIMG_0729.thumb.jpeg.db959d44bc2ee2cd72864659c8671d2c.jpeg

• Rage+1 3

On 9/10/2024 at 12:20 AM, drifter379 said:

This might be the best job ever. They actually seem to respect and appreciate what we do as drivers. 
IMG_0681.thumb.jpeg.984aeece9d0009e9e658d87c0ef60a08.jpegIMG_0687.thumb.jpeg.0db7aa07a02a18b51f28316e532fc6de.jpegIMG_0688.thumb.jpeg.67ff7118b7b6e1b8709a6dc9c1864479.jpeg

very interesting job!   what happens after you get to the venue?  do you have all access pass, backstage, etc?

8 hours ago, MontereyMX said:

very interesting job!   what happens after you get to the venue?  do you have all access pass, backstage, etc?

Yes I have a full access laminate. I can go anywhere in the venue I want and even  watch the show. But unless we are there multiple days I sleep until it’s time to load out because we drive all night to the next venue. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yes I have a full access laminate. I can go anywhere in the venue I want and even  watch the show. But unless we are there multiple days I sleep until it’s time to load out because we drive all night to the next venue. 

Gotta go bang some groupies.

8 hours ago, MontereyMX said:

thread title checks out

Yep. 

On 9/30/2024 at 10:57 AM, luke duke said:

Gotta go bang some groupies.

K-pop was 12 year olds. So no. 
I’ve heard the maiden fans are 60-80. But they are surgically enhanced, so we’ll see how it plays out.  I mean it’s common knowledge that they will offer a bj to get backstage. And if their teeth come out it’s gonna be hard to turn down. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

On 10/5/2024 at 2:16 AM, RPM said:

I feel this. lol. You know that driver had been sitting there all day and finally said fuck it I’m going to sleep. And just as he’s about out they get called to a door. And they’re like fuck everything you shit bag fucking fucks. 

It is hard to tell the truth on the internet, but some searching suggests that the Piggly Wiggly driver was having a stroke when that happened. So I guess the driver's brain was still working enough that he was trying to back in, but not working enough to where he did it ok, or that he realized that he was not right. On watching the video, it seemed deliberate, but maybe not.

Ok I have to admit I’m not a smart guy when it comes to dealing with warranty issues or legal matters. I’m coming up on 20 business days since I filed my warranty claim and there has been zero action of any kind towards getting this resolved. 

Should I lawyer up? Is that an option? If so any recommendations? 

When you say you filed a warranty claim, who did you file it with?  The manufacturer of the engine or the dealership that replaced the engine?  Sorry if this is something that you have already covered.  

8 hours ago, 3shot said:

When you say you filed a warranty claim, who did you file it with?  The manufacturer of the engine or the dealership that replaced the engine?  Sorry if this is something that you have already covered.  

I bought a reman motor from capital reman.

https://www.capitalremanexchange.com

I had my local shop install the motor. Once the motor was installed I registered it with cap reman and the warranty is through them.

They want an oil sample and info from the ecm. They received the info from the ecm and it shows nothing. (Codes, alerts)

Was told they should have the oil sample this week. (Looking for fuel, coolant, oddities with the oil) once they don’t find anything there then they decide if they will cover the motor. After that they will then have a motor rebuilt. If they have the parts the estimate is a week before it’s ready to ship. If they don’t have parts that time could be extended significantly. 

A big concern for me is that they are only going to cover the long block. When I put their motor in I replaced the fuel pump (oil flows through it, rebuilt the turbo, and replaced the oil cooler) if they don’t cover those parts that now surly have had metal run them then I’m out approx $8k. 

The warranty also only covers $75 an hour for labor. There ain’t a fucking shade tree mechanic in the whole country that works for that. The shop I’m at now quoted me at $16k just for labor at $215 an hour. 

Edited by drifter379
  • Hook 'Em 1

@drifter379, man, I feel for you.  Tough situation for sure.  At this time, I don't think that hiring an attorney will speed the warranty process up, especially if you are looking at a few more weeks (hopefully no longer than 2).  I would definitely be checking in with the manufacturer on a regular basis to inquire on status. As pissed as I know you are, try to be as nice as you can be to whoever you are talking to...try to make them feel like a partner of yours rather than an enemy.  I'm not familiar with Capital Reman, but it appears to be a fairly small company and if so, they are going to know who you are. If they deny the claim, that is when you may need to hire an attorney. 

I think your concerns regarding the fuel pump are valid. The engine manufacturer's warranty doesn't cover parts manufactured by other suppliers. Hopefully the fuel pump will be covered by the part manufacturer's warranty, but if it's not, you could certainly try to get Capital Reman to supply one for you at cost (assuming they manufacture them). You could also lean on them to just do the right thing...it might be worth it to them to compensate you for the fuel pump rather than to deal with a pissed off customer writing bad reviews all over the internet.  I briefly checked their google reviews and it appears that the owner is pretty sensitive to bad reviews, as he should be. You might try to get in touch with him directly. He should understand that if you write reviews detailing what it actually cost you out of pocket to clean up their mess after their engine failed, it will keep some potential customers from buying his engines. I'm guessing that a significant portion of his customers are owner/operators, and they all understand down time and getting screwed by a shitty warranty.    

I don't know exactly where you are located, but in general, $215 an hour isn't a crazy high door rate in Texas.  But it really sucks to have to pay the difference above $75.  Make sure your repair shop is documenting whatever they can to support your warranty claim.  It's SOP, but make sure. 

Please note, this is not legal advice. I have some experience in the general industry, and these are just my thoughts based on my experience. I really hope things work out for you. This type of shit really pisses me off.  

• Like 2

I’m pretty level headed when dealing with situations like this. You’re right about a small company, there is only one guy in the warranty dept. He knows I’m not happy with the speed this is being handled. And I’ve already voiced my concerns about the other new parts I installed that will have to be replaced within three months of installing their motor. 

unfortunately I believe best case scenario I’ll be $10k or more out of pocket for this    

20 hours ago, drifter379 said:

I’m pretty level headed when dealing with situations like this. You’re right about a small company, there is only one guy in the warranty dept. He knows I’m not happy with the speed this is being handled. And I’ve already voiced my concerns about the other new parts I installed that will have to be replaced within three months of installing their motor. 

unfortunately I believe best case scenario I’ll be $10k or more out of pocket for this    

Good thing Surly maintains an 8 figure wreath fund. @hitbyatrain cut this man a check for $10K. 

10 hours ago, luke duke said:

Good thing Surly maintains an 8 figure wreath fund. @hitbyatrain cut this man a check for $10K. 

Funny you should say that. Now the warranty company said since the ECM report didn’t show any anomalies and the oil sample was inconclusive. No they want to have the motor tore down to the long block and shipped to them so they can tear into it to find the cause. Of course they want that done at my expense which I was quoted at $9k

• Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, drifter379 said:

Funny you should say that. Now the warranty company said since the ECM report didn’t show any anomalies and the oil sample was inconclusive. No they want to have the motor tore down to the long block and shipped to them so they can tear into it to find the cause. Of course they want that done at my expense which I was quoted at $9k

Pisses me off when companies don’t stand behind their work.

my only advice is this: 

While lawyering up with someone who knows a whole hell of a lot about this particular type of warranty work and contract and laws of the state that will apply (you need to figure out what law applies to your claim as they’re probably is something in the contract that says what state law governs- and you might be surprised to find out that applicable law and venue is someplace in New York or buck South Dakota- who knows?) is not something anyone looks forward to, it might be something you need to start thinking about.

My simple statement is that while hiring a lawyer may not solve your problem to your liking, NOT having legal counsel to interpret your warranty contract and the rights of the applicable state (per venue clause - or God forbid arbitration clause ) could result in you taking action - or not taking action -  or doing something that fucks this up so that when you finally hire a lawyer - you’ve lost before you started.

And I’m not saying, “run out and hire any lawyer to sue them”. Most lawyers don’t know shit about anything but the narrow part of the law that they practice in.  But if you can ask around and find some good word-of-mouth on an attorney who knows about the type of contract and warranty work in your field, now is probably not a bad time to at least inquire who you can chat with to ask some basic guidance on how to proceed.

• Hook 'Em 3

Years back a dad on my kids soccer team was a long-haul trucker.  He'd book a trip to Disney in CA every year, load the family up in the cab, Griswold it out to CA, then rent a car.  The haul usually paid for the trip/park-passes/etc.  Sounded like a blast.

I know the owners of InstiCo Logistics in Plano.  They have some pretty wild stories of the shit their drivers deal with.  One I remember, they were driving on a two-lane road and a guy passed one of the trucks on an open stretch.  As the car was passing one of the driver side truck tires exploded.  Just detonated.  Sent this poor guy off the road, down an embankment, and through a barbed wire fence that wrapped itself nice and tight around the axle.  Everyone stopped.  Guy was ok as the embankment was just grass.....but had it been trees, a creek.....

How long is the break in process with a new engine?

Before your engine leaves our facility it is put through a rigorous quality control process. There are 20 steps between first payment and the ship date. Each department has it’s own quality control measures and there is a final quality control process of tolerance calibration, rockwell hardness, line-boring and magnafluxing. The engine will ship to you with instructions on a line card.

We recommend the first oil change take place at roughly 5,000 miles. Do not use synthetic oil for the first oil change but rather standard motor oil. It is important to get more than enough oil to the engine while it is settling to its final structural limits. During the first year the engine will heat and cool multiple times which will expand and contract the block and internal components. This is normal and why tolerances are set with in an acceptable range. We also recommend that you do not let the engine sit idle for long periods during the first 5,000 miles or push the engine at full load outside of the normal working conditions. Hard shifting or extreme acceleration is not recommended during the break-in period.

Just an FYI, that some of this info may come in to play when they assess what the problem is.   

Finally, if there’s a hint of a possibility of future litigation, your last post should really be your last post. Please don’t respond factually to that quote I posted, and it would probably be best if this was your last post regarding the issue until it’s resolved. if there is litigation, everything you posted will be fair game for their lawyers to see and you will be required to produce it.   You should not be emailing or texting any of your buddies about the situation from now on. 

Good luck. 

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Just an FYI, that some of this info may come in to play when they assess what the problem is.   

Finally, if there’s a hint of a possibility of future litigation, your last post should really be your last post. Please don’t respond factually to that quote I posted, and it would probably be best if this was your last post regarding the issue until it’s resolved. if there is litigation, everything you posted will be fair game for their lawyers to see and you will be required to produce it.   You should not be emailing or texting any of your buddies about the situation from now on. 

Good luck. 

I understand “shut the fuck up”. 

On 10/17/2024 at 8:46 AM, luke duke said:

Unfortunately, the Wreath Fund is now a wholly-owned subsidiary of Eskimo Hut Operating Company LLC. Each time you mention it, Bob has to pay Kevin thirty cents. 

Moose out front shoulda told ya.

• Like 1