Cord Cutters Thread

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Seems like a high entry point for them given they have clearly signaled they plan on raising the price soon. Until either they reduce the number of blacked out games and/or include NBC/CBS sports into this you'll still need two services for NFL or NBA. (yeah locals work, but DVR kinda hard not to have out of the box and don't want to go back to having to roll my own locally).

Going to be a wait and see for me for sure. I welcome the competition at least.

What games are they going to black out? I agree the price is high, but if it means I can get rid of YTTV, then it might be worth it. But if there is any fuckery with raising prices or blacking out games, I'm not switching. And let's face it, there will probably be fuckery.

This is interesting. I’m guessing games on rsn’s aren’t part of this, and only broadcasts that would be on network? Kinda fucks mlb/nba/nhl games, if so.

That Thursday night nfl game on Prime?

I’m trying to see what I’m missing with YTTV, but it’s not very clear. 

9 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

What games are they going to black out? I agree the price is high, but if it means I can get rid of YTTV, then it might be worth it. But if there is any fuckery with raising prices or blacking out games, I'm not switching. And let's face it, there will probably be fuckery.

yeah, what @thunderlounge said... appears RSNs not part of it. 

I'm interested in Venu but I generally avoid being a Day 1 customer of streaming services as I find they're often buggy especially with popular content. I've had problems with the ESPN app buffering live content and falling further behind the real time action. 

I also didn't see any mention about Venu having any DVR tech. I don't normally schedule and save live sports content but I may want to fast forward a game or pause/rewind at times. 

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I also didn't see any mention about Venu having any DVR tech. I don't normally schedule and save live sports content but I may want to fast forward a game or pause/rewind at times. 

I don’t think they would have to. You can just stream a replay, like with espn+, as well as ff/rewind/pause.

I’d be quite happy to ditch yttv, but that one isn’t going to fly around here, even though all of it is on other services we already have. 🙄

On 8/1/2024 at 12:31 PM, HornOnTheBayou said:

We’ll see what the fine print looks like when it gets closer but for now for Venu: 

“A seven-day free trial promotion will be available, and users who sign up at $42.99 a month will have access to that entry pricing for 12 months.”

The platform will feature offerings from 14 linear networks — ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SEC Network, ACC Network, ESPNEWS, ABC, FOX, FS1, FS2, Big Ten Network, TNT, TBS, truTV — as well as ESPN+.

I’m probably in for Sep to Dec. well, I guess January for the CFP (all on TNT/ABC/ESPN).
Doesn’t sound like it will be, but hopefully it’s available by September 1…I guess technically August 31 for first weekend of college football… so not sure what I’m going to do there. I guess a YTTV free trial if I just need to cover week 1, or bite the bullet for a month until Venu is live. Well and then I guess pick Venu back up in March for March Madness. Dammit.

Cowboys have 3 games on NBC and 1 on CBS which I’ll get OTA, leaving 1 other game on Prime not included in Venu

For the rest of the year, NBA I don’t care about. MLB I have covered with MLB.TV and $2/month Unlocator subscription. For college baseball, ESPN+ had everything this past year, including CWS. Hopefully they don’t go no lube and remove the ESPN+ for the CWS games that were on ESPN/ESPN2 (narrator: they’re going to go no lube)

$258 Venu Sep-Jan, Mar

$125 MLB.tv

$11 ESPN+ late May-June for college baseball

I can swing $400 annually, $33/mo, for all of my sports needs.

Edited by UTexasFight

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2024 at 12:27 PM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Seems like a high entry point for them given they have clearly signaled they plan on raising the price soon. Until either they reduce the number of blacked out games and/or include NBC/CBS sports into this you'll still need two services for NFL or NBA. (yeah locals work, but DVR kinda hard not to have out of the box and don't want to go back to having to roll my own locally).

Going to be a wait and see for me for sure. I welcome the competition at least.

Nice Venu summary!!!   I also think there will be some early "Bug" problems with Venu rollout just like ESPN App.

Below article agrees with your analysis, and provides even more detail on Venu Sports.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/im-passing-on-venu-sports-heres-why-the-streaming-service-isnt-for-me/ar-AA1oi07f?ocid=BingNewsSerp

Edited by LTtxfan

5 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/08/16/judge-temporarily-blocks-sports-streaming-service-venu-ruling-in-favor-of-fubo-tv-on-antitrust-concerns.html

“A U.S. judge on Friday temporarily blocked sports streaming service Venu from launch ahead of the NFL season.”

Stumbling block or more?

Fuck Fubu and fuck Margaret.

I get their argument, but fuck. Why is it so hard/impossible to only pay for the channels I want to watch ?

as to your question, who knows, but even if it’s a stumbling block, it’ll take until at least 2025 to move it out of the way.

its goes to the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit next (covers NY, VT, CT), which is comprised of 6 Biden appointees, 5 Trump, 1 each from Obama and Bush. But which 3 of those 13 will hear the appeal, I don’t know.

By granting Fubo’s motion, Garnett has dispatched Venu Sports to the penalty box for the foreseeable future. Absent a successful appeal, early resolution to the case or an out-of-court settlement, the injunction will remain in place at least until a trial, which likely won’t occur until 2025 or later. It’s possible the companies behind Venu Sports might view the wait as incompatible with their business goals and nix the platform altogether.

Fubo overcame difficult odds in convincing Garnett to enjoin Venu Sports. Preliminary injunctions are extraordinary and drastic remedies in law and require a showing of, among other things, a substantial likelihood of success on the merits and that it would suffer irreparable harm without an injunction. Hearings for preliminary injunctions also occur early in a litigation, before the opposing sides have been compelled to fully share relevant evidence and testimony.

https://www.sportico.com/law/analysis/2024/venu-sports-launch-in-peril-fubo-wins-1234793605/

Edited by UTexasFight

It’s probably the right answer long term for consumers, but considering Venu was my solution for college football season, it’s a pisser for me in the short term… and the irony is that I’m now probably sending money Fubu’s way this fall

Yeah the bundlers will have to be paid off or Venu is likely dead...

Judge blocks ESPN, Fox, Warner sports streaming venture Venu

United States District Judge Margaret M. Garnett in the Southern District of New York said in her 69-page ruling Friday that Fubo was likely to be successful in proving that the joint venture would violate antitrust laws and that Fubo and consumers would "face irreparable harm in the absence of an injunction."

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/40884759/judge-blocks-espn-fox-warner-sports-streaming-venture-venu

In its filing, FuboTV said it has tried for years to offer a sports-only streaming service but has been prevented from doing so because ESPN, Fox and Warner Bros. Discovery have imposed bundling requirements on FuboTV that it says forces "Fubo to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to license and broadcast content that its customers do not want or need."

Yeah, this isn't on Fubu, they wanted to do the sports only channels but we're being blocked by ESPN, FOX, and Warner.  Those guys just thought they could do it themselves without recourse.

I also don't see Venu continuing. ESPN DTC will be here before this gets through the court system and my guess is they will then offer it to Fubu, YTTV and the like as well to be sold as is.

Okay, for about the 10th straight year, we are investigating cutting the cord, again. This year might finally be the year due to the demise of LHN. 

We currently use UVerse with AT&T internet. The service is great. We get EVERYTHING, including movie channels. The price is ouch. $227/month all-in for one TV box. 

However, given our tv watching habits it’s worked well for us, allowing us to see everything we want with minimal flipping between services. 

Our watching needs are:

1. Longhorns sports - football, basketball, volleyball, baseball

2. College Football - espn, espn2, espnu, secn, B1g, accn, fs1, fs2, Ballys

3. MLB - Rangers, Astros

4. NBA - Spurs, Mavericks 

5. Local - Austin ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox. Not getting other local I don’t think is an issue as long as we don’t miss sports  

6. Entertainment/Misc - flexible. Nice to haves: Food Network, AXS, TNT, TBS, CNN, CNBC, HGTV, Golf, Showtime, Starz 

7. questionable- what happens to the Space Network (Astros), regional Sports Ballys in the future? 

8. Other Subscriptions- we have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Max (free), Disney+(family). We dropped Apple TV+ because there wasn’t enough content. 

Given all of the above, the main thing we will probably need with the current services is espn+. We’ve also periodically had interest in Ballys (not all Ballys games are shown on UVerse like Mavs), Hulu, and Peacock. 

Obviously we are heavy consumers of tv sports, with some other stuff mixed in. Right now I’m leaning towards just picking up either espn+, or the full Disney/Hulu/Espn+ bundle if we lose access to our family Disney+. Disney keeps threatening to do what Netflix did. 

Antenna in the attic is an issue. We have metal protective heat barriers on the underside of the roof, making it difficult to get signals. 

So instead of supplementing the current setup, it seems the only alternative is YouTube tv with espn+, but we’d lose a lot of content for about a $30-60/month savings. That’s right on the edge of being worth it for us. 

Astros,rangers, mavs etc really limit your options. It sucks because I have yttv so no Astros for me. Hopefully that changes someday

Can’t believe uverse is still around. I thought they were killing it off a long time ago.

5 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Okay, for about the 10th straight year, we are investigating cutting the cord, again. This year might finally be the year due to the demise of LHN. 

We currently use UVerse with AT&T internet. The service is great. We get EVERYTHING, including movie channels. The price is ouch. $227/month all-in for one TV box. 

However, given our tv watching habits it’s worked well for us, allowing us to see everything we want with minimal flipping between services. 

Our watching needs are:

1. Longhorns sports - football, basketball, volleyball, baseball

2. College Football - espn, espn2, espnu, secn, B1g, accn, fs1, fs2, Ballys

3. MLB - Rangers, Astros

4. NBA - Spurs, Mavericks 

5. Local - Austin ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox. Not getting other local I don’t think is an issue as long as we don’t miss sports  

6. Entertainment/Misc - flexible. Nice to haves: Food Network, AXS, TNT, TBS, CNN, CNBC, HGTV, Golf, Showtime, Starz 

7. questionable- what happens to the Space Network (Astros), regional Sports Ballys in the future? 

8. Other Subscriptions- we have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Max (free), Disney+(family). We dropped Apple TV+ because there wasn’t enough content. 

Given all of the above, the main thing we will probably need with the current services is espn+. We’ve also periodically had interest in Ballys (not all Ballys games are shown on UVerse like Mavs), Hulu, and Peacock. 

Obviously we are heavy consumers of tv sports, with some other stuff mixed in. Right now I’m leaning towards just picking up either espn+, or the full Disney/Hulu/Espn+ bundle if we lose access to our family Disney+. Disney keeps threatening to do what Netflix did. 

Antenna in the attic is an issue. We have metal protective heat barriers on the underside of the roof, making it difficult to get signals. 

So instead of supplementing the current setup, it seems the only alternative is YouTube tv with espn+, but we’d lose a lot of content for about a $30-60/month savings. That’s right on the edge of being worth it for us. 

Not sure how much of the $277 is your internet, but pretty sure it isn’t almost $200 of that.

Based on what you just listed, as funny as it is due to the above, is FuboTV.

That has all the sports, like YTTV, but Fubo also has the RSN’s.

Right now, AFAIK, Fubo is the only package provider that has the RSN’s. Much better than having to use the Bally app, trust me. I hate that fucking app.

Fubo will have your local channels, too, so no antenna in the attic needed.

Fubo is akin to your uverse package. You can also add premiums to it like uverse (hbo, etc). 

If you do that, or they have a bundle where it’s cheaper overall than the individual streaming services, then take it. If you have hbo through fubo (or uverse, or whoever) then you can login to the max app with your provider. No need to pay again.

Of course I don’t know what, if any, bundled premiums fubo offers, so that may be a moot point. However, do male sure you know your prices for the services you want. Then you would know if there’s a deal or not.

I was really looking forward to seeing what Venu was going to do, as it might have let me drop YTTV, since I can stream local channels in one app or another. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

The answer is always IPTV. And if you feel guilty about it, you can just mail a $1 check every month to all the networks/RSNs you're watching.

That thread annoys me because technically IPTV is a protocol based specific technology, not a general term for generic IP based streaming services. Nerd rant over. 

Edited by Dbeasy

5 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

The answer is always IPTV. And if you feel guilty about it, you can just mail a $1 check every month to all the networks/RSNs you're watching.

No...no...double no.

Don't care about your legal concerns, but you opening up your home network to shit ton of malware and cybercrime. Not worth the risk IMO. Not like you can report it to anyone either... Yeah my illegal activity seems to have been the source of the theft....

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

That thread annoys me because technically IPTV is a protocol based specific technology, not a general term for generic IP based streaming services. Nerd rant over. 

The thread title literally spells out "IPTV Services Providers" in it. That's what you pay for...an IPTV Service Provider. 

32 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

No...no...double no.

Don't care about your legal concerns, but you opening up your home network to shit ton of malware and cybercrime. Not worth the risk IMO. Not like you can report it to anyone either... Yeah my illegal activity seems to have been the source of the theft....

lol, are you 80? IPTV service is delivered by an app, either one made by your provider that thousands of people use, or a wide release like XCIPTV Player that millions use.

None of those providers would last a week if they were pushing out malware apps to paying customers. But your pearl clutching is cute and hilarious. 

I’ve been using Streemingly tv for over a year and it has been fine. It’s an IPTV service that I stumbled upon after using TIVOD for awhile. Movies and series usually work best but live tv is still good. It can pause or whatever from time to
Time but it usually comes back quick. It’s a good service that I would def recommend. I’m currently watching this season’s hard knocks ep 3 on it. No issues.

Movies: they have a section called “cinema”. Usually they can get something on their service in HD when it’s available to rent on other services. Wife and I watched Twisters the other night.

My fave part of the service is they will make channels for whatever big event is going on. Example: they had an Olympics 24 channel and when you clicked it, there were several diff feeds of the Olympics. World Cup was the same way. Euros. Whatever.

It is based in England (I think) so those channels usually are more stable. They have “local abc/nbc/etc channels but they can be a little wishy washy. I’d say local channels are the worst part of their service. (I live in East Texas so….)

Anyway, like I said, I’ve been using it a year and can answer any questions you might have.

On 8/17/2024 at 2:03 PM, rage-a-holic said:

Giving FuboBox a try for the month. Not sure if it's going to make it through the wife-approval stage or not. Using UHF as the player for the moment. Tried IP Smarters, but didn't really like it.

If it was just my call, I'd go for it. But not sure I'll be able to get the wife off YTTV.

Service has been fine so far though, so that's good so far. Some of the channels missing guide data, not so much. I can get past that, or would know where to look real quick. Her, well... the woman factor comes into play heavily here. Going to give it a try for a bit, and if it works out, I'll pick up a 3mo option.

1 hour ago, thunderlounge said:

Giving FuboBox a try for the month. Not sure if it's going to make it through the wife-approval stage or not. Using UHF as the player for the moment. Tried IP Smarters, but didn't really like it.

If it was just my call, I'd go for it. But not sure I'll be able to get the wife off YTTV.

Service has been fine so far though, so that's good so far. Some of the channels missing guide data, not so much. I can get past that, or would know where to look real quick. Her, well... the woman factor comes into play heavily here. Going to give it a try for a bit, and if it works out, I'll pick up a 3mo option.

One of the really cool IPTV service advantages is access to thousands of local stations, so you can watch Dallas stations for Cowboy games, Austin stations for news, etc.

That helps with WAF (wife approval) because when her asshole parents come to visit, you can set them up with Fox local news from Fayetteville and they feel right at home.

The local stations access is good, as you mentioned, for games. Having UK channels as well is kinda nice. Was baked last night and watching gogglebox.

Definitely a delay between this and live in an app. Watching a game and ran to do something, so put on the bally app, and this is about 30 seconds behind, maybe 45. Just the nature of it, so no big deal. I'll see how big the difference is next weekend to get a better idea. Not that it's a big deal, but might make game threads a bit different.

Service quality has been good so far. The 4k stuff is fine, and the hd stuff is fine as well. Apple TV is spitting out 4k dolby, so no diff than YTTV on that front. Haven't had any buffering issues, and the UHF app is letting me use the up/down arrows as channel up/down, so that's nice.

Definitely glad to have dumped the IP Smarters app for UHF. Much better UI, in both operation and layout. If the smarters app was the only option, I'd have probably called it off. It's not good. It works, yes, but is annoying to use. UHF has a watermark, in-app purchase to remove. Annoying, but if it all works out then I'll give em a few bucks to make it go away and grab some additional features. I'm ok with that. For now I pitched em a buck for a month in case it ends up not being an option, or I don't continue service.

Setting up the guide is a bit of an endeavor, but part of the approval factor. You can sort by name, but that kind of sucks with a shit-ton of channels. Would be nice to be able to make your own categories for your guide to be able to better control the list, but whatever. If I hammer away at it over the next few days, doing a few at a time, it'll get there. Once the initial batch is done, I can work on the few remaining I want to put on the main guide.

Did not realize that the Mavericks still haven’t announced officially their TV plan. And the Astros channel availability in 2025 is also unclear. Right now Astros are only available on cable and Fubo?, which seems too limiting. They need to be on YouTube or Amazon or do like the Dallas Stars and stream direct. These are the final pieces before I eject to YouTube TV or Fubo. 

Specifically, that will depend on where you live, and if there are blackouts or not. (Blackouts are so fucking dumb these days.)

May end up having to get MLB and League Pass, if they aren't blacked out. Hard to tell at this point, and things still have to be approved in bankruptcy court as well. So I guess there's a chance they say letting them out of the contract would be bad, and they end up staying where they have been. Or there could be no deal with another broadcaster, and they do what the Stars did and make their own.

That helps with WAF (wife approval) because when her asshole parents come to visit, you can set them up with Fox local news from Fayetteville and they feel right at home.

Or better yet maybe just don’t have a tv and maybe they won’t come.

8 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

So what’s the cheapest (above board) option if all I really care about is espn? And maybe espn2?

sling orange?

You probably want sec network as well, just saying. 

You’ll have to double check what actually comes with orange. You may have to add the sports pack to get it all.

Their site is not good at spelling it out. They do, but it’s different, depending where you look.

Thanks for both of these.

yeah, I think I can do without the sports package add in. Blue has FS1 which I may want in October for MLB postseason. I need to see what college football will be on that that I want.

I need to look at sec network and what it will be carrying  that espn+ (which i already have a subscription) doesn’t. I don’t really care about any other content it may have other than the actual games.

This week, I went with Sling Orange with the sports package. Looks to be the best (cheapest) option to get college football that I care about. Yes the overall package deal can be better with YTTV but that trap is easy to fall into. Their monetization teams always know to put the next tier just $10 more for 50 more channels.

with sling orange+ I will get SEC and mainstream games minus the B10 network. And while no CR, I like the addition of CNN going into the election. Gotta love John king and his magic map board.

edit: month 1 was $31 for orange+ and $51 for additional months.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

On 8/30/2024 at 9:50 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

This week, I went with Sling Orange with the sports package. Looks to be the best (cheapest) option to get college football that I care about. Yes the overall package deal can be better with YTTV but that trap is easy to fall into. Their monetization teams always know to put the next tier just $10 more for 50 more channels.

with sling orange+ I will get SEC and mainstream games minus the B10 network. And while no CR, I like the addition of CNN going into the election. Gotta love John king and his magic map board.

edit: month 1 was $31 for orange+ and $51 for additional months.

I went with directv stream promo, $50 for 3 months.

doesnt have sec network, but everything I’d want to watch on that I feel good I’ll have covered through my espn+ subscription.

that will take me to the first week in December (but end before the Conference championship games..but I’ll catch those OTA).

then hoping sling will still have a cheap promo for their orange package and grab that for a month  on 12/21 in time for the CFP quarterfinals which will take me through the championship on 1/20.

felt pretty good about all of this until I saw this today tonight. Sigh.  Why does it have to be so hard:

https://frontofficesports.com/disney-directv-standoff-millions-of-sports-fans-risk-losing-espn/

Anyone using Hulu Live? Would appreciate thoughts.

I am set on leaving Direct TV Stream. Was an early adopter but with the current Disney fight and the announced price increase it’s time to go. I like Hulu since they have Disney ownership sports shouldn’t get interrupted. And since we already have the Disney/ESPN+ bundle I would cut my total streaming spend about $60. Appears the only real sacrifice would be Astros and Rangers games…

Next choice would be YTTV if it is demonstrably better, would be about the same monthly.

I cannot comment on Hulu Live, but YouTube TV has multiview (where you can watch 4 games at a time) and also a broadcast delay feature where the feed is much closer to live like cable is (most streaming services are more delayed from live than cable is).

Those features make it great for sports.

• Hook 'Em 1

Ditched Spectrum and after much searching decided on hulu+ and haven't regretted it. Couldn't get Astros with Spectrum nor MLB.TV and not a huge Rangers fan. Huge Braves fan so MLB.TV works for me. ESPN+ is great with Horns in SEC.

Main drawback is being limited to 2 screens. Not an issue with just the wife and I. Needing more you can get unlimited(?) for $10 more a month.

1 hour ago, Honeysucklerose said:

Anyone heard of this or have it??

https://apollosgrouptv.co/

Yes. Almost tried them, can’t recall why I didn’t. I ended up trying FuboBoxTV, using the uhf app on an appleTV. 

It’s fine. EPG for US channels is hit or miss, and I’m not editing most of a file to fix it.

Got it as a trial run, use it mainly for sports not available locally. It’s fine, no buffering, but is about 2min behind traditional streams/outlets.

Not a deal breaker, but careful around game threads if you’re spoiler sensitive.

It isn’t as polished as a yttv setup, but the uhf app is pretty good. But that’s a means to an end, not the tv provider.

I’ll probably keep it. It’s good enough for out of market games, and there’s international content I like that’s not available elsewhere.

If you’re looking for traditional features like “dvr” and such, no dice. 

Yes. Almost tried them, can’t recall why I didn’t. I ended up trying FuboBoxTV, using the uhf app on an appleTV. 

It’s fine. EPG for US channels is hit or miss, and I’m not editing most of a file to fix it.
Got it as a trial run, use it mainly for sports not available locally. It’s fine, no buffering, but is about 2min behind traditional streams/outlets.
Not a deal breaker, but careful around game threads if you’re spoiler sensitive.
It isn’t as polished as a yttv setup, but the uhf app is pretty good. But that’s a means to an end, not the tv provider.
I’ll probably keep it. It’s good enough for out of market games, and there’s international content I like that’s not available elsewhere.
If you’re looking for traditional features like “dvr” and such, no dice. 

Do you like the UHF app? I have been wanting a better IPTV player. I have been using iPlayTV for years now and it’s alright, but there are definitely things that could be better with it.

14 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Do you like the UHF app? I have been wanting a better IPTV player. I have been using iPlayTV for years now and it’s alright, but there are definitely things that could be better with it.

I do. Much better than something like the Smarters player flavors.

It does put a uhf logo on screen, but you can get rid of that for like a buck or something trivial. I like it well enough to do that, and it goes through the apple in-app purchase stream, so ok there.

It’s free, so try it out and see if you like it well enough. If so, ditch the OSL for cheap and carry on.

• Like 1

It does put a uhf logo on screen, but you can get rid of that for like a buck or something trivial. I like it well enough to do that, and it goes through the apple in-app purchase stream, so ok there.
It’s free, so try it out and see if you like it well enough. If so, ditch the OSL for cheap and carry on.

Perfect. I’ll give it a go.

Thanks!

So I’m trying out YTTV via both Roku and LGTV. The remotes and navigation is a bit awkward as compared to Uverse. I have a dumb question. With Uverse, because the channels are numbered, if I want to go to a high numbered channel that is far down the list I just type in the channel nimber. Since YTTV doesn’t have channel numbers, is there no way to quickly go to a channel way down the list of channels in one step, like I can with Uverse?

• Hook 'Em 1

Watching TNF via UHF and it’s awesome. UI is nice and smooth. I also like that searches the EPG too so you can find more matches for sports, etc.
  • Hook 'Em 2