Mad Men

HouTex

18 minutes ago, TOR said:

But that's life. One minute, you're on top of the world, the next minute, some secretary is running you over with a lawn mower.

Just when you've gotten your foot in the door. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, TOR said:

But that's life. One minute, you're on top of the world, the next minute, some secretary is running you over with a lawn mower.

Believe me.  Somewhere else this has happened already.

ETA

I forgot about the going public part affecting Don and Joan’s relationship.

Edited by Parliament

• 4 months later...
On 1/29/2024 at 8:54 PM, TOR said:

It looks Iwo Jima out there.

so i'm on my way through for like the 12th time, and i want to take a moment to appreciate lois.

she's stuck on the switchboard, which she hates. then peggy gets promoted off don's desk, so lois gets off of the switchboard. then don goes to the movies instead of attending a meeting, but she doesn't know what to say when peggy asks where he is. she tells him that she covered for him, he tells her that she is not suited for this job. she goes back on the switchboard.

then, right before the merger, the crew senses something is going on, so they go grab lois out and ask what she has heard. she says she's not allowed to talk about what she hears in there, but then goes ahead and tells them every detail of the ppl merger anyway, and makes them promise to get her out of there. they tell her of course.

i don't know if she ever made it back onto a desk, but the next thing you know, she's running over a guy's foot with a fucking tractor.

yet somehow she didn't get fired, because she appears in another episode later in s3. here's to you, lois. enjoy the switchboard forever.

• Haha 4

There's a lot of things.

When Don does his inner monologe when he's trying to sober up.  He talks about brain fog and how typing feels like work.  Then when he's trying to cleanup and having a beer for breakfast to taper off.  Then one morning he's sneaking vodka into his OJ with Megan right behind him.  Ted Chaugh telling him to have a drink before the meeting because you can't quit cold turkey like that.

The Megan years are pretty much all about his alcoholism and how it affects him and the company.

Then he gets sober and does yoga and decides to buy the world a Coke, and all is well in the world.

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

“You have any liquor?  I’ve been drinking beer all day.”

on my many viewings i've noticed a few things about their alcoholism schedules.

they drink liquor all day at the office. then you went and drank liquor (maybe a beer for the poors) at bars and restaurants. restaurants were big for the boozy 3 hour dinners, multiple martinis. lunches too.

but when they went home, sure, maybe they had a drink, but don didn't even have a bar. he kept his whiskey in an upper kitchen cabinet. even when they were pitching ideas to heineken (when betty lost her shit), they discussed how "more people were entertaining and actually drinking at home now" as if it was never really a thing before, because i don't know, maybe it wasn't?

it was like they partied all day: work-> lunch -> work -> client dinner, then went home to pass the fuck out.

On 6/28/2024 at 9:38 PM, henrygandorf said:

so i'm on my way through for like the 12th time, and i want to take a moment to appreciate lois.

she's stuck on the switchboard, which she hates. then peggy gets promoted off don's desk, so lois gets off of the switchboard. then don goes to the movies instead of attending a meeting, but she doesn't know what to say when peggy asks where he is. she tells him that she covered for him, he tells her that she is not suited for this job. she goes back on the switchboard.

then, right before the merger, the crew senses something is going on, so they go grab lois out and ask what she has heard. she says she's not allowed to talk about what she hears in there, but then goes ahead and tells them every detail of the ppl merger anyway, and makes them promise to get her out of there. they tell her of course.

i don't know if she ever made it back onto a desk, but the next thing you know, she's running over a guy's foot with a fucking tractor.

yet somehow she didn't get fired, because she appears in another episode later in s3. here's to you, lois. enjoy the switchboard forever.

The actress who played Lois appeared nude in Playboy about 15 years ago. They were real and they were spectacular.

• Drool 1

Great show, an all-time fav of ours. 

Getting a car company was/is huge business for an ad firm. Tons of content and media buys for any agency etc...  The Jaguar story line was monumental for the series on so many levels (and then later the General Motors pitch).  Besides Don sticking up Joan who whore'd herself out for the partnership, there was the Englishman's (forget his name) mis-fortune. 

Up to that point Jag had a terrible reliability record.  Fast forward to Sterling Cooper finally getting a car company and the coming demise of said Englishman.  He tries to kill himself old school using the car's exhaust piped back into the car using a hose.  he goes to ready himself for the big event and the car wont crank, classic.

4 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

on my many viewings i've noticed a few things about their alcoholism schedules.

they drink liquor all day at the office. then you went and drank liquor (maybe a beer for the poors) at bars and restaurants. restaurants were big for the boozy 3 hour dinners, multiple martinis. lunches too.

but when they went home, sure, maybe they had a drink, but don didn't even have a bar. he kept his whiskey in an upper kitchen cabinet. even when they were pitching ideas to heineken (when betty lost her shit), they discussed how "more people were entertaining and actually drinking at home now" as if it was never really a thing before, because i don't know, maybe it wasn't?

it was like they partied all day: work-> lunch -> work -> client dinner, then went home to pass the fuck out.

Why drink at home when nobody gave a shit about drinking and driving? The episode in the first season where Don brings Roger home for a meal after drinking after work. Roger goes to leave, Don yells out the door "That's my car!" followed by "Lights!!!", then is OK with him peeling out.

Edited by Deej

Watching it yet again. 

So many great little moments in the show. Bert Cooper walking in to Harry's baby shower:

"I just wanted to say 'Happy Birthday!'"

So glad to be able to forward any Betty and Glen scenes.