Mad Men

HouTex

The closing scene.  Spoilering so anyone here who hasn't seen the show to the end can experience it the right way:

Spoiler

And this blew my mind:

Spoiler
Betty inspired that ad. He and Betty had that sweet moment before he left town. When he found out she was dying and they had that final conversation, he was about to say that he loved her. He saw the woman at the pool that I think he thought looked like Betty reading a book called 'The Women of Rome'. Betty was the Coke girl in the first season. They went to Rome together on one of their last romantic moments before they divorced. McCann Erickson really did do that Coke ad. The ad was shot in Rome. So basically Don came up with that ad, and it was an ode to Betty.

• Hook 'Em 4

While a dark comedy aspect, it was telling how PPL was effectively demoting/firing their upcoming leader of NYC after he lost his foot in the lawnmower scene. It gave Don even more reason to hide his secrets and weaknesses. Or why Lane had to hide his financial challenges which led him to stealing. 

I can fall into a rabbit hole for an hour of watching mad men scenes.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

While a dark comedy aspect, it was telling how PPL was effectively demoting/firing their upcoming leader of NYC after he lost his foot in the lawnmower scene. It gave Don even more reason to hide his secrets and weaknesses. Or why Lane had to hide his financial challenges which led him to stealing. 

It wasn't the ginormous boobs, or the butt that smacks you into next week.  Those legs.

Okay, this show was amazing and I absolutely loved it but my memory of it has faded (I watched it episode by episode as each show debuted on linear tv) and it hasn't even been 10 years. Somehow it seems so distant. I don't re-watch many tv shows or movies. In fact, Sopranos and The Wire may be the only two tv series that I've re-watched in their entirety. Have read the last two pages and I'm going to cue Mad Men up soon. Thanks to y'all for the motivation and memories. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

58 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Okay, this show was amazing and I absolutely loved it but my memory of it has faded (I watched it episode by episode as each show debuted on linear tv) and it hasn't even been 10 years. Somehow it seems so distant. I don't re-watch many tv shows or movies. In fact, Sopranos and The Wire may be the only two tv series that I've re-watched in their entirety. Have read the last two pages and I'm going to cue Mad Men up soon. Thanks to y'all for the motivation and memories. 

I’ll get flamed, but it’s a different show and not as good after Don and Betty divorce in Season 3. At least it went out on the highest of high notes Shut the Door, Have a Seat. 

Afterwards the stakes are gone. It killed much of Don’s dramatic tension. Imagine if Tony couldn’t get killed on The Sopranos. Don has nothing to lose or worry about losing. Betty is gone and she doesn’t care about his true identity or his affairs. It’s over. He’s just another divorced bachelor with a sad little apartment. 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’ll get flamed, but it’s a different show and not as good after Don and Betty divorce in Season 3. At least it went out on the highest of high notes Shut the Door, Have a Seat. 

Afterwards the stakes are gone. It killed much of Don’s dramatic tension. Imagine if Tony couldn’t get killed on The Sopranos. Don has nothing to lose or worry about losing. Betty is gone and she doesn’t care about his true identity or his affairs. It’s over. He’s just another divorced bachelor with a sad little apartment. 

I see what you're saying.  It's a different show, for sure.  But I think it had to change.  I don't think I could have tolerated 7 years of the same show that spanned seasons 1 to 3.  Personally, I saw enough, and I don't think the show would have held my interest if it only offered more of the same, year after year.

The fact that Don loses the tether to reality that Betty and his family represented, makes the final few seasons even darker and more heartbreaking.  The dichotomy between what is, and the idyllic fantasy of what might have been, is gut-wrenching at times. 

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

4-5 stack up just fine against seasons 2-3. 

everytime we get a car, this place turns into a whorehouse. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I just spotted Pete in a rando movie from 2010 on Prime called Electra Luxx.  He’s a naked grimy little pimp again. The movie stars one of my fav B-list chicks Carla Gugianp or something like that. Raylan is in it too. 

IMG_2710.png

IMG_2711.jpeg

IMG_2712.jpeg

IMG_2713.jpeg

Edited by Elvis

5 hours ago, Chopper said:

You muar find a awy to get away from Betty.  Then it becomes an awesome show.  

YMMV

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/12/2024 at 10:13 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Roger's lines in that episode were legit LOLs for me. "Jesus, it looks like Iwo Jima out here!" and "Just when he got it in the door..."

On 7/12/2024 at 8:22 PM, TOR said:

It wasn't the ginormous boobs, or the butt that smacks you into next week.  Those legs.

Everything knocks you into next week. They don't make women like Christina Hendricks anymore, and damn if she wasn't PERFECTLY cast as Joan Holloway. Killer looks with an equally killer mind.

Yes, the writing had next-level writing, but everyone in the show was perfectly cast. Roger, Don, Joan, Pete, Lane, Cooper, Peggy... all of em. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, RPM said:

B-List my ass.

tumblr_m8k371gDp01rqg6f3o1_640.jpg

MV5BNjQyY2I4ZDUtYjI2NC00NmI0LWJmMzEtNDBk

San Andreas was not a good  movie but it had both Carla Gugino and Alexandra Daddario in it, so of course I watched the entire thing.

• Drool 1

I know we are off topic here, but Carla’s character in “The Brink” really showed her milfy side. Big fan. It would be cool to meet her and act like I don’t know who she is. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/16/2024 at 8:27 PM, Chopper said:

I'm due for a rewatch as well. Only show I've rewatched is Sopranos (twice). 

Also, I've never seen the second half of S1. I got into the show right before S2 premiered. S1 was put on demand for like a week leading up to the premiere, but it was pulled before I could finish it.

Edited by CurlyDumps

1 hour ago, CurlyDumps said:

I'm due for a rewatch as well. Only show I've rewatched is Sopranos (twice). 

Also, I've never seen the second half of S1. I got into the show right before S2 premiered. S1 was put on demand for like a week leading up to the premiere, but it was pulled before I could finish it.

One of my favorite shows of all time, and I've never done a rewatch. I've looked and cant find it streaming anywhere, without having to buy the seasons. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Fandango at Home (what was previously Vudu) regularly sells the entire series for $19.99. It was that price three weeks ago. Just be patient and check their bundle deals. 

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Amazon Prime Video

I just realized that is only with the AMC add-on, which I didn’t even know I had. I guess you could just get an AMC+ subscription direct if you don’t have Prime. 

On 7/17/2024 at 8:03 AM, Dutch said:

Yes, the writing had next-level writing, but everyone in the show was perfectly cast. Roger, Don, Joan, Pete, Lane, Cooper, Peggy... all of em. 

don’t sleep on duck either. underrated role player. 

• Hook 'Em 2

ok, so i just put something together last night, which was probably obvious to others, but i've only watched s7 a couple times (instead of s3 which i've probably watched 10+).

in early s7, when don goes to see megan because she was stalking casting directors, the stewardess flirts with him, saying something like "well i'll say it again, i hate her" in response to don saying he's going to see his wife.

in the back part of s7, when he's bendering pretty hard, it's the same stewardess that comes over late night to his apt and spills the red wine on the bedroom carpet, which basically remains there until he sells the joint.  guess she finally got to nail him.  good for her. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/18/2024 at 9:53 PM, henrygandorf said:

don’t sleep on duck either. underrated role player. 

“I killed 17 men in Okenawha!”  Ready to push Don’s nose bone into his brain. 

Don: “uncle”

On 7/18/2024 at 9:20 AM, TonyTexas said:

I just realized that is only with the AMC add-on, which I didn’t even know I had. I guess you could just get an AMC+ subscription direct if you don’t have Prime. 

It used to be on IMDBTV, but I guess it went away when Amazon bought it and turned it into Freevee.  The next time I want to watch it, I'll probably just buy a season at a time from Google/Youtube.

I think the show actually got better AFTER Don and Betty divorced. It went from a show about a very interesting personal situation inside a compelling time and place (60s ad agency) and then became a much better and more daring show about all of the changes that the world was experiencing (the time jumps were especially cool) at that time, with Don as sort of the centerpiece holding the universe together. In other words, it went from a show about Don to a show about something else entirely where Don was an anchor for the narrative.

On 7/18/2024 at 9:20 AM, TonyTexas said:

Is it worth it? I'm already paying for Sling, Hulu, Prime, AppleTV, Max and Netflix

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

Is it worth it? I'm already paying for Sling, Hulu, Prime, AppleTV, Max and Netflix

There are a lot of really good shows from AMC , many of which are available on platforms you already have. For example, both Breaking Bad and BCS are on Netflix. I was just responding to a poster who was looking for a way to watch Mad Men. To answer your question,  I have since canceled my subscription

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

There are a lot of really good shows from AMC , many of which are available on platforms you already have. For example, both Breaking Bad and BCS are on Netflix. I was just responding to a poster who was looking for a way to watch Mad Men. To answer your question,  I have since canceled my subscription

Thanks. I found Mad Men on Prime but saw you have to pay for the AMC add-on. Tired of paying for fucking add-ons

Posted (edited)
On 8/1/2024 at 3:07 PM, mr. sunshine said:

They just had a special offer of 2 months for half price or something like that for prime days. They'll probably run it again soon, if not then around Black Friday.

Edited by Chopper