Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

2 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:
33 minutes ago, Message Board User said:
I’d bet that approximately 98% of GOP voters don’t even know who George Soros is, other than they’ve been told he’s someone to be scared of.

I pay relatively close attention to politics and i only kinda sorta know who he is. He's become quite the bogeyman for the pubs

I’m afraid if I looked him up, he wouldn’t be half the bogeyman that the Trumpkins and conspiracy theorists make him out to be, and his influence would be far less than the Koch’s, etc.  

The lobbying was done while Cruz worked for the mega law firm Morgan, Lewis & Bockius, before his first campaign for elected office. Though his public profile with the firm focused largely on his work as a litigator, Cruz was also listed as a member of the firm’s lobbying division.

During that time, Cruz was a board member and state chair of an advocacy group called the Hispanic Alliance for Prosperity Institute. The now-defunct group was run by corporate lobbyists to mobilize grassroots support for industry priorities, primarily on energy, health care, and telecom issues. Records show that Cruz’s nonprofit — which was funded by the financial giants AIG and Goldman Sachs, according to an online archive of its website — pressured Congress to enact the 2008 law known as Troubled Asset Relief Program, or TARP, that bailed out big banks at the public’s expense.

https://theintercept.com/2018/10/01/ted-cruz-lobbyist-google/

lmao Cruz lobbied for the passage of TARP.  

Edited by Fozzz

11 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

It's a hard fact of life that oil and other minerals are in the ground. We require them in a myriad of ways to feed the machine. I would prefer it if they cleaned up after themselves as we would expect any kindergartner to do. 

I'd also like to know exactly what they are pumping into there. We expect to know what you spray at the house. We require there to be a book within easy reach describing exactly what is on the premises.

But W got a pass for all that. It's completely opaque. 

Who here is prepared to tell me and anyone else listening what exactly in clear and verifiable numbers what is being pumped into the ground before, during, and after extraction?

I'll wait.

Oil is a necessary part of the economy. It's pretty fucking crucial. But, we shouldn't have to face a day when we can't drink from the well anymore. 

The ground instability was due to saltwater disposal wells lubricating extinct fault lines and making them active again. Saltwater disposal wells have been on sharp decline as other methods for disposal has become viable.

What is being pumped in the ground shouldn't matter as much because it is all thousands of feet deeper than the water and the water should be completely sealed off from the bore path with several redundant fail-safe mechanisms. Contamination should not occur. In the event it does, I'm all in favor of nuking the offending company from orbit, given that it is actual corporate negligence and not some freak industrial accident. My grandparents have a water well in an area that has seen extensive fracking and they drink from it, I have drank from it, my children have drank from it. It's been over 10 years and my grandparents are in their 80s and are in great health.

Also, as much as politicians pay lip service to banning fracking, it will never happen. I voted for Romney in '12 because Obama promised to shut down fracking. My job depends almost exclusively on companies being able to explore oil and gas in Texas, so as much as I wanted to vote for Obama, I cannot vote against what puts food on my family's table. But guess what the reality is: the largest expansion of oil and gas in American history happened under Obama. The most production in American history happened under Obama. Not even Obama could stop the oil train. Beto ain't doing it, either. I've learned my lesson. History should tell those wringing their hands over the effect of Beto's election on the O&G industry to relax.

• Like 4

I doubt seriously that Beto wants to stop the oil train.  I have never heard him say anything about it other than it is important to Texas.  I would wager he would want stringent regulations on the industry to protect the environment as well as us.  

On the other hand I have seen him talk about renewable energy systems as a new source of jobs as well as energy. 

So why not both?  Continue fracking, but do it under closer supervision.  More jobs created in the supervision end as well as the preventative end.   More jobs created in renewable energy projects too.  

Cruz won't talk about renewables, I suppose because they feel it will immediately kill off O&G.  Or that is the scary picture they are painting. 

But then the pubs are running more on fear than hope these days. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

I doubt seriously that Beto wants to stop the oil train.  I have never heard him say anything about it other than it is important to Texas.  I would wager he would want stringent regulations on the industry to protect the environment as well as us.  

On the other hand I have seen him talk about renewable energy systems as a new source of jobs as well as energy. 

So why not both?  Continue fracking, but do it under closer supervision.  More jobs created in the supervision end as well as the preventative end.   More jobs created in renewable energy projects too.  

Cruz won't talk about renewables, I suppose because they feel it will immediately kill off O&G.  Or that is the scary picture they are painting. 

But then the pubs are running more on fear than hope these days. 

stop making sense

25 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

The ground instability was due to saltwater disposal wells lubricating extinct fault lines and making them active again. Saltwater disposal wells have been on sharp decline as other methods for disposal has become viable.

What is being pumped in the ground shouldn't matter as much because it is all thousands of feet deeper than the water and the water should be completely sealed off from the bore path with several redundant fail-safe mechanisms. Contamination should not occur. In the event it does, I'm all in favor of nuking the offending company from orbit, given that it is actual corporate negligence and not some freak industrial accident. My grandparents have a water well in an area that has seen extensive fracking and they drink from it, I have drank from it, my children have drank from it. It's been over 10 years and my grandparents are in their 80s and are in great health.

Also, as much as politicians pay lip service to banning fracking, it will never happen. I voted for Romney in '12 because Obama promised to shut down fracking. My job depends almost exclusively on companies being able to explore oil and gas in Texas, so as much as I wanted to vote for Obama, I cannot vote against what puts food on my family's table. But guess what the reality is: the largest expansion of oil and gas in American history happened under Obama. The most production in American history happened under Obama. Not even Obama could stop the oil train. Beto ain't doing it, either. I've learned my lesson. History should tell those wringing their hands over the effect of Beto's election on the O&G industry to relax.

Just in case I wasn't clear I am not in favor of banning fracing. I do expect them to do their best to prevent contamination. 

In an effort to stay on target in the thread I'll make this my last comment on the subject. I have already come dangerously close to thread shitting.

Oh FFS it's spelled fracking. Yes, we all know that there is no k in "fracturing" but fracing looks like it rhymes with racing. I'm in O&G and if someone gives you a hard time for spelling it fracking then just roll your eyes at them. People in a panic are panicking. If I mimic you then I'm mimicking you. If you're so bothered by the then just type out fracturing.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:
2 hours ago, Message Board User said:
I’d bet that approximately 98% of GOP voters don’t even know who George Soros is, other than they’ve been told he’s someone to be scared of.

I pay relatively close attention to politics and i only kinda sorta know who he is. He's become quite the bogeyman for the pubs

I admit, I knew very little of Soros, only just what a Qtard I know spewed at me once.  

So I wiki'ed him and he has quite a track record of pushing progressive agendas across the globe. 

Apparently he fell out of grace with the pubs when he vowed to get shrub out of office and put some money behind that.   Seems his point was that the War on Terror was not the best way to go about being the biggest and best nation.   Fox News, particularly O'Reilly started the ball rolling and then Q picked it up later.   Their main thing against him is that he pushes one world government, thus diminishing the power of the US.  At least that is what my Qtard posits.

The guy has quite a list of accomplishments and philanthropy.  I might not know enough about him to debate my Qtard, but i know enough now to not give much credence to anything the right says about him.

3 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

I admit, I knew very little of Soros, only just what a Qtard I know spewed at me once.  

So I wiki'ed him and he has quite a track record of pushing progressive agendas across the globe. 

Apparently he fell out of grace with the pubs when he vowed to get shrub out of office and put some money behind that.   Seems his point was that the War on Terror was not the best way to go about being the biggest and best nation.   Fox News, particularly O'Reilly started the ball rolling and then Q picked it up later.   Their main thing against him is that he pushes one world government, thus diminishing the power of the US.  At least that is what my Qtard posits.

The guy has quite a list of accomplishments and philanthropy.  I might not know enough about him to debate my Qtard, but i know enough now to not give much credence to anything the right says about him.

Just to expound, he's also been labeled as a Nazi sympathizer despite the fact that he is Jewish and actually, you know, was persecuted by and escaped from the Nazis in occupied Europe.  He did a 60 Minutes interview in which he described his experiences and of course his story got completely mischaracterized and taken out of context to make it sound like he was a collaborator and that he enjoyed being one.  At age 14 or whatever.  

3 minutes ago, M12BH said:

Just to expound, he's also been labeled as a Nazi sympathizer despite the fact that he is Jewish and actually, you know, was persecuted by and escaped from the Nazis in occupied Europe.  He did a 60 Minutes interview in which he described his experiences and of course his story got completely mischaracterized and taken out of context to make it sound like he was a collaborator and that he enjoyed being one.  At age 14 or whatever.  

Projection.

They wish they could have been 14 year old Hitler Youth.

21 minutes ago, M12BH said:

I'm the one in the pink

.  42846171_10217469578360189_3634629087990

You go, girl! 

Honestly I sit on an island over here in rural East Texas, an island surrounded by Trumpkins.  On top of that some of my old friends are full blown Qtards now.  I come here to seek and find like minded people.  Watching a lot of you wake up and get behind Beto has been very encouraging, and I appreciate both the venue to discuss our enthusiasm,. and those like M12BH who keep a running narrative of their activities, what they are seeing and doing.  People talking about donating or attending events.  An excellent synergy. 

• Like 1

I have zero problem with Soros doing whatever he wants with his money.  I think it is silly to say he has less influence than the Kochs as he spends far more money on politics than they do, especially globally.  But, again, nothing wrong with that.  He plays by the rules of the game so he can do as he pleases.

Soros really could be a topic of his own and is and will be a fascinating figure to study, especially his somewhat unique style of trading/betting.  One of the most ironic aspects of Soros is that he is pretty universally loved/revered by democrats because he funds their interests lavishly, but the way he made the majority of his fortune represents just about everything most democrats say they despise. He did nothing illegal, that I know of, and I have always argued that morality/ethics is way down the list of things to be concerned about in finance, but Soros used his money and influence to take massive positions against foreign currencies that ultimately paid him and his investors billions but literally drove millions of ordinary people to financial ruin in those countries.  

Sorry to thread jack but Soros is a fascinating guy.

9 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Texas Secretary of State Rolando Pablos told the Houston Chronicle that the state's voter rolls have grown by 1.6 million since the last midterm election in 2014   Election records show that Texas has seen a 400,000-voter increase since March. The state on average added just over 100,000 voters a year between 2002 and 2014.

Yeah, you know that most of those 1.6 million who have signed up recently have done so because of the Beto campaign.  Most of those who will be voting red already are registered. 

People are starting to realize their vote can matter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pyrohornIII said:

Yeah, you know that most of those 1.6 million who have signed up recently have done so because of the Beto campaign.  Most of those who will be voting red already are registered. 

People are starting to realize their vote can matter.

I doubt it's Beto, per se. I think this is more of an indication that younger people in the state are waking up and saying 'enough of this shit.' I've had several millennials tell me as much - that this is first time they're engaged in politics and want to make a difference.

so i took the family to houston for some sightseeing. drove out on 71 through all those smallish towns. i saw a surprising number of beto signs on ranch fences and in the small towns. i saw more than one beto shirt and several beto stickers on cars in the fucking katy, texas bucees. i don't know what it means, or if it was confirmation bias, but i saw maybe one or two cruz signs. under a god billboard there was a huge beto sign. of course, this is all anecdotal, but you would NEVER see obama signs on that drive through the rural stretch between bastropo and katy.

shit is weird right now, but i am starting to think that beto may actually win this thing.

2 minutes ago, thepop said:

How long does it take to get registered once you mail in that voter registration application? Couple friends of mine sent their forms in early September but they're not showing up on the online system yet.

Did they have Hispanic-y last names?  Because if so, they probably got lost in the mail.... wink wink.

3 minutes ago, thepop said:

How long does it take to get registered once you mail in that voter registration application? Couple friends of mine sent their forms in early September but they're not showing up on the online system yet.

Serious question: do they not have internet access? seems like that would have been the easiest route.

9 minutes ago, thepop said:

There is no online registration. You fill out the application online, and mail it in.

Correct.

I did a COA because I moved within Harris County and it took about 3-4 weeks to get my new card in the mail. 

• Like 2

so i took the family to houston for some sightseeing. drove out on 71 through all those smallish towns. i saw a surprising number of beto signs on ranch fences and in the small towns. i saw more than one beto shirt and several beto stickers on cars in the fucking katy, texas bucees. i don't know what it means, or if it was confirmation bias, but i saw maybe one or two cruz signs. under a god billboard there was a huge beto sign. of course, this is all anecdotal, but you would NEVER see obama signs on that drive through the rural stretch between bastropo and katy.
shit is weird right now, but i am starting to think that beto may actually win this thing.
Sight seeing in Houston? Shit really is weird these days.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1