Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

23 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

That poll says 96% of voters minds are made up. Take all polls with a grain of salt, but I do believe that vast majority are done. 

Again, another poll saying immigration is #1 issue, followed by economy (energy).  Two issues Cruz is much stronger on. 

Its funny because I dont know a single person who thinks immigration is a problem in Texas and I travel in fairly conservative circles. We dont have a fucking immigration problem in Texas. We wouldnt be here without Mexico. We wouldnt have the strong economy we have without Mexico. We need to partner with Mexico, not put up stupid walls that make both of us weaker. I am going to laugh my ass off if half this shit is pushed through when all the home prices double due to the immigration reform and tariffs. And the housing market crashes. But by GOD there will be white workers waiting for work when the market comes back and no one can afford to build anymore. We have an absolute IDIOT leading on these two issues without any cause or concern over the real world implications. He thinks the US is making billions on tariffs... fucking clueless....

Edited by Longhorn94
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Hmm alright then. 

Hes tougher on illegal immigration, no?  The YouGov/CBS poll suggested that 57% of Texans think immigration policies are appropriate or not strong enough. ✔️ 

Texas and its economy is still largely driven by energy. Duh. Would you say that Beto or Ted is more pro energy?  ✔️ 

I think those are issues he is stronger on for Texas and its electorate.  You’re welcome. 

How is Ted stronger on energy?

1 minute ago, Winona's Big Orange Bevo said:

That’s what I’ve been wondering about. In all my 46 years I’ve never been polled or really surveyed about anything. I haven’t had a landline in years. Doubt many who’ve been old enough to vote the last 5+ years know what a landline is. I just renewed my registration after being dormant since 2008 to vote Beto. Me thinks the polls don’t know everything. 

I havent had a landline in 10 years. Do they even still make them for houses? I have built three homes in that time and have not had a landline ran to the house. 

1 minute ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

Because he says he is and that's enough for someone as simple minded as GRHorn.

i would think Republicans would jump at the chance to vote for the guy who has been extremely successful in business as the guy who would help the Texas business community more than a career political hack who is a lawyer to boot! Clearly the Texas business guy is better for the energy industry than the ambulance chasing parasite. 

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Beto is a committed liberal.  He would be a rubber stamp for Crying Chuck.   Cruz will vote with Cocaine Mitch.  That’s a choice Texans will have to make.  

Well, there's also the choice about which Senator will actually be there to answer the phone and really work for Texans when Texas-specific interests - which may be INCREDIBLY important to Texans, but aren't sexy and don't get much coverage on Fox and CNN -- need the assistance of a US Senator.  Beto has a history of taking those calls and working for those issues.  Ted has a history of letting the phone ring, and focusing on campaigning in Iowa.  I may disagree with Cornyn on many things, but the man and his office answer the phone and actually work on the un-glamorous issues behind the scenes that really matter for the people of Texas.

Your life is much more significantly impacted by things like the electric power grid, water planning, etc., than it is by anthem kneelers and such.  Ted is a no-show on the issues that actually matter to you in your daily life.  But you've done a damned fine job of being suckered away from what's really going on by carnival-level sleight of hand.

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

Because he says he is and that's enough for someone as simple minded as GRHorn.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2018-elections/2018/10/08/fact-check-ted-cruz-correct-beto-orourke-supported-10-per-barrel-tax-oil

Infrastructure concerns aside, sounds like a net negative for energy industry.  You’re welcome to dispute that. 

33 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Beto is a committed liberal.  He would be a rubber stamp for Crying Chuck.   Cruz will vote with Cocaine Mitch.  That’s a choice Texans will have to make.  

I disagree. I think Beto is committed to working with both sides on issues that matter for Texas. I dont believe he would work with Schumer on something bad for Texans. I also believe he would work with McConnell on things that are good for Texans. He is about moving Texas and Texans forward, not playing partisan politics. There is a place for all in Beto's Texas. 

• Like 2

Just now, Longhorn94 said:

I disagree. I think Beto is committed to working with both sides on issues that matter for Texas. I dont believe he would work with Schumer on something bad for Texans. I also believe he would work with McConnell on things that are good for Texans. He is about moving Texas and Texans forward, not playing partisan politics. There is a place for all in Beto's Texas. 

I ran Beto and Cruz through propublica comparing their voting record to Pelosi and Cocaine Mitch. Beto was 95/5 and Cruz 94/6. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2018-elections/2018/10/08/fact-check-ted-cruz-correct-beto-orourke-supported-10-per-barrel-tax-oil

Infrastructure concerns aside, sounds like a net negative for energy industry.  You’re welcome to dispute that. 

Did you read the article? Because it does not sound like a net negative for energy to me at all. 

38 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

This is a man committed to reason and policy debate. Thanks for elevating the discussion. 

3 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Hoo boy. I oughta drink some of that Beto Kool aid.  It’s like offseason “SHOW ME A LOSS” proof. 

1 minute ago, Longhorn94 said:

Did you read the article? Because it does not sound like a net negative for energy to me at all. 

You think energy companies being levied a tax on every barrel of product wouldn’t affect their investment or job numbers/wages?  Interesting. 

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I ran Beto and Cruz through propublica comparing their voting record to Pelosi and Cocaine Mitch. Beto was 95/5 and Cruz 94/6. 

Interesting. But I think the calculus changes when you are a Senator vs Rep. In one position, you are representing all of Texas and the other, your specific region. I believe Beto has shown a willingness to reach across the aisle and work with both sides to advance legislation that is good for Texas. I believe you will see even more of that when he is a Senator. 

Just now, GRHorn said:

You think energy companies being levied a tax on every barrel of product wouldn’t affect their investment or job numbers/wages?  Interesting. 

I believe he voted against a measure that was opposed to the levy but did not vote for the levy itself. He stated he wanted to keep all options open.  So no, I dont think Beto voted for a levy at all. 

Just now, Longhorn94 said:

Interesting. But I think the calculus changes when you are a Senator vs Rep. In one position, you are representing all of Texas and the other, your specific region. I believe Beto has shown a willingness to reach across the aisle and work with both sides to advance legislation that is good for Texas. I believe you will see even more of that when he is a Senator. 

I would like to believe that you are right, but I don't foresee a lot of Senate bipartisanship in our near-term future.  Unless it's about wiping their ass with the 4th amendment or increasing spending. Those are the low hanging bipartisan fruit. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I would like to believe that you are right, but I don't foresee a lot of Senate bipartisanship in our near-term future.  Unless it's about wiping their ass with the 4th amendment or increasing spending. Those are the low hanging bipartisan fruit. 

Don’t forget bombing people.  That’s the only thing Trump has done that got bipartisan support. 

Edited by GRHorn
  • Like 1

Without a doubt Beto is getting hammered in the polls.  Seems unlikely that he will be able to convert Cruz voters or find enough undecideds.  His only hope to get it close is to have an unprecedented gotv effort to bring in voters that were staying home.  Still unlikely that it will be enough to overtake Cruz's lead.

As a Beto supporter, I'm critical that he only seems to have 1 TV ad where he states that we need to work together.  Nice ad, but it can't hurt to have a few normal ads as well.  I also disagree that he refuses to attack Cruz.  Remind Republican voters that they booed Cruz at the 2016 national convention.  the Texas delegation practically tossed him out when he attempted to explain himself the next day.  And then Cruz came crawling back to kiss up to trump by disregarding the insults to his wife and father.  no one has respect for that.  

15 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

I believe he voted against a measure that was opposed to the levy but did not vote for the levy itself. He stated he wanted to keep all options open.  So no, I dont think Beto voted for a levy at all. 

So he just wants to keep options open? 

Including something that would affect Texas energy workers jobs/wages? 

Wouldn’t that be an issue that matters to Texans?

I think he would work with Chuck Schumer on something like that, that would be bad for a lot of Texans. 

27 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I'll reiterate 94's question--did you read the article?  The real take away from that is that Ted is lying again.  Beto voted against a non-binding measure opposing an idea for 10 dollar per barrel levy to help pay for infrastructure.  The idea that we should keep all options open and not engage in political theater isn't bad for the energy industry.  Having a Senator who lies to voters on a consistent basis is bad for the people of Texas.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

So he just wants to keep options open? 

Including something that would affect Texas energy workers jobs/wages? 

Wouldn’t that be an issue that matters to Texans?

I think he would work with Chuck Schumer on something like that, that would be bad for a lot of Texans. 

What ^ he said.

11 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

I'll reiterate 94's question--did you read the article?  The real take away from that is that Ted is lying again.  Beto voted against a non-binding measure opposing an idea for 10 dollar per barrel levy to help pay for infrastructure.  The idea that we should keep all options open and not engage in political theater isn't bad for the energy industry.  Having a Senator who lies to voters on a consistent basis is bad for the people of Texas.  

Yes. 

The Dallas Morning News had every chance to call Ted a liar and they didn’t. 

Because Beto had a chance to oppose it via vote, he refused. He just wants to “keep his options open.”  Anyone with half a brain can do the math of where he stands. 

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/politics/beto-orourke-dead-politician-walking-polls-missing-democratic-wave/

Article in Texas Monthly today wondering if Beto going to basically get the same percentages as Hillary.    

Main takeaway there: politicians negatively campaign because IT WORKS.  Beto refusing to go negative will mean that he loses.  It will ALWAYS mean that a person running for office will lose.

You are running against a person and  a party that has embraced lying on a level that defies any historical comparison, that has openly built into its platform disenfranchisement of any demographic that might vote against them, etc.  And you're going to play by Marquess of Queensberry rules?  Pure folly.

Don't fight dirty.

Fight dirtier.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Yes. 

The Dallas Morning News had every chance to call Ted a liar and they didn’t. 

Because Beto had a chance to oppose it via vote, he refused. He just wants to “keep his options open.”  Anyone with half a brain can do the math of where he stands. 

The Dallas Morning News may not have called Ted a liar, but anyone with half a brain can see that he lied.  Beto did not support a $10 per barrel levy.  Ted claimed that Beto did support a $10 per barrel levy.  That is a lie.  Just like Ted has lied many other times to the people of Texas.  

It really amazes me that the so-called tough guy Republicans who stand up for all that is moral and good for this country are perfectly happy having Republican politicians lie to their faces repeatedly simply because the lie is something that they want to hear.  That is not tough and that is not Texan.  Texans value honesty and integrity and when someone lies to their face, they call them on it and put them in their place, not the Oval Office or the Senate.  The Texans like you and Johnny Sack who eat up Republican lies like a fat kid at DQ and say, "please, sir, may I have some more" are not tough as Texas.  You're fucking pussies.   

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Main takeaway there: politicians negatively campaign because IT WORKS.  Beto refusing to go negative will mean that he loses.  It will ALWAYS mean that a person running for office will lose.

You are running against a person and  a party that has embraced lying on a level that defies any historical comparison, that has openly built into its platform disenfranchisement of any demographic that might vote against them, etc.  And you're going to play by Marquess of Queensberry rules?  Pure folly.

Don't fight dirty.

Fight dirtier.

I've donated and attended Beto events. But I'm too damn cynical/realistic to ever believe "staying positive" will work in this political climate. You have to attack Ted Cruz, period. Win the election first, and then try to implement positive change.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

The Dallas Morning News may not have called Ted a liar, but anyone with half a brain can see that he lied.  Beto did not support a $10 per barrel levy.  Ted claimed that Beto did support a $10 per barrel levy.  That is a lie.  Just like Ted has lied many other times to the people of Texas.  

It really amazes me that the so-called tough guy Republicans who stand up for all that is moral and good for this country are perfectly happy having Republican politicians lie to their faces repeatedly simply because the lie is something that they want to hear.  That is not tough and that is not Texan.  Texans value honesty and integrity and when someone lies to their face, they call them on it and put them in their place, not the Oval Office or the Senate.  The Texans like you and Johnny Sack who eat up Republican lies like a fat kid at DQ and say, "please, sir, may I have some more" are not tough as Texas.  You're fucking pussies.   

fuckin A bubba!