The Drums Pron Thread

ohchaucer

• 2 months later...

Anybody know how the Pearl acrylic kits compare to Ludwig Vistalites?  They're a lot less expensive (~ $1.8K vs $3K).  This one has stolen my heart, I'm thinking of grabbing it for my daughter but conveniently leaving it set up in my little room here at the house.  It's stunning.  Shells are 7 mm thick whereas the Ludwigs are 6 mm thick, if that matters.

image.png.e1f257510f177c7e6b0a70b121f96600.png

Nothing beats wood. But if I wanted acrylic and Ludwig’s were too expensive I’d go DW.

They all sound pretty mediocre imo. I wanted a set of the green sparkle bonham vistalites a few years back and I kept hearing the kick drum and bailing.

I tried really hard to get those. Really hard. Credit card on the table and everything.

GotDAMN! I love that shop. I’m lucky enough to get by there once or twice a year.

And JJ, I’m biased against Pearl a bit to begin with and haven’t heard or seen these, but I think generally of the big makers Ludwig is the standard bearer with the vistalites. (And they just make the best kits of the mass makers not named Yamaha and not counting Sonor or DW).

And I don’t know this for sure, but acrylic isn’t particularly resonant so I would think thinner would be better. Thicker would just be all attack.

• 1 month later...

Gave in and grabbed a second rack tom and a splash. So yeah, I’m done…starting NOW. /kramer

IMG_7132.thumb.jpeg.e075bac3732c115d1bccdb7261f6ab41.jpeg

IMG_7139.thumb.jpeg.2c2bbf3f54fcb75d58355fe583f8cec3.jpeg

IMG_7133.thumb.jpeg.89042532637e046e922bad94bcc380e9.jpeg

Setting them up with the DW hardware is not a simple matter give the bass drum doesn’t have the rack like most. Getting a lot of snare buzz when I hit the new 8x10. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Have we fixed the setup yet because I’ve been having convulsions ever since I saw it.

Working on it. Trying a few different things in a few different rooms to see what works the best. DW hardware is amazing and I feel like it is so solid and well made that I could build a skyscraper out of them, but they are a tad tricky. 

Have we fixed the setup yet because I’ve been having convulsions ever since I saw it.

I didn’t want to say anything because who knows, but I’m glad you’re looking out. Looks like Bernard Purdy and Phil Collins got drunk and were playing drumset Jenga.

2 hours ago, ohchaucer said:

Looks like Bernard Purdy and Phil Collins got drunk and were playing drumset Jenga.

The problem with your post is that it presupposes that this is not the case.

think I have a good solution now. Will post pix later so you guys can sleep at night. 

• Like 1

The problem with your post is that it presupposes that this is not the case.
think I have a good solution now. Will post pix later so you guys can sleep at night. 

Plz mount the larger tom directly in front of the snare. Work from there.

Why? Serious question. 

Everyone has their own style so I’m not being critical at all, but since you asked, here is why for me. First, I’m not 11 feet tall. Second, my hands spend 90% of the time on hats, ride and snare and my feet are 100% on the hihat and bass pedals. I orient everything else from there which means I want as little “stretch” from the baseline alignment as possible. To me how you have it here, to play a cadence across all your toms (in a fill, for example) you’re stretching well left of snare/bass (eg, “center”) for the high tom, back to center for mid tom, then right and behind you for floor tom…. Also having to go OVER your ride cymbal to get to the right side of the kit. I favor as compact a spread as possible with as few leaps between kit components as possible. I also play squarely behind my bass drum essentially facing at about 11 pm from there and all of my kit is no further than 90 degrees in either direction (eg it’s all in front of me). Side note: I do not play a gong, as rad as that would be.

Again, every one plays differently and has different height and limb proportion, so take all that with a grain of salt. The aforementioned Purdy actually reversed his rack toms from the norm - larger left, lower right - as do a lot of drummers on their basic setups. Porcaro and Jimmy Chamberlain being two of my favorites. It is also not uncommon to have a rack/floor four piece base kit with an auxiliary high rack tom off to the left. Will Calhoun used to rock that setup.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

Everyone has their own style so I’m not being critical at all, but since you asked, here is why for me. First, I’m not 11 feet tall. Second, my hands spend 90% of the time on hats, ride and snare and my feet are 100% on the hihat and bass pedals. I orient everything else from there which means I want as little “stretch” from the baseline alignment as possible. To me how you have it here, to play a cadence across all your toms (in a fill, for example) you’re stretching well left of snare/bass (eg, “center”) for the high tom, back to center for mid tom, then right and behind you for floor tom…. Also having to go OVER your ride cymbal to get to the right side of the kit. I favor as compact a spread as possible with as few leaps between kit components as possible. I also play squarely behind my bass drum essentially facing at about 11 pm from there and all of my kit is no further than 90 degrees in either direction (eg it’s all in front of me). Side note: I do not play a gong, as rad as that would be.

Again, every one plays differently and has different height and limb proportion, so take all that with a grain of salt. The aforementioned Purdy actually reversed his rack toms from the norm - larger left, lower right - as do a lot of drummers on their basic setups. Porcaro and Jimmy Chamberlain being two of my favorites. It is also not uncommon to have a rack/floor four piece base kit with an auxiliary high rack tom off to the left. Will Calhoun used to rock that setup.

sorry, wasn't clear. i totally get that the alignment of the kit in the pic i posted is hilariously fucked. i had not actually set it up yet. i had just gotten the tom and had simply slid the 13 inch tom out and to the right (i previously had it set up over the snare like a jazz set) so i could just throw the 10 inch on the hardware and snap a pic. the current setup looks like a traditional kit set up.

what i was curious about and asking cruser about his post was why he advocated for putting the 13 inch right over the snare instead of the 10 inch. the more traditional way would be to go 10 inch on the left and 13 inch on the right above the kick. i happened to notice that in that aronoff video i just posted, he had done precisely what cruser was suggesting making me think it was a bit less iconoclast than i had thought. so i was curious why he recommended the 13 inch directly in front of the snare instead of the 10 inch.

(that said, i am 6'4 and have blocked lebron james outside shots numerous times so a little more operating space is not out of the question for me)

Edited by sidis
  • Like 1

Many thoughts.

Apologies to Jimmyjazz for the wording here……

Sonically, that 9x13 or whatever it is represents what you want more in that particular spot.

Many drummers do what you have done in The pic. I would drastically change the angles of those toms, drop them down, move the snare behind the bass drum, and move the smaller Tom to the left of the 9x13 (not over the bass drum. Kind of like Taylor Hawkins.

This is a pretty good view.

Put that small Tom between the 8x13 and hihat.

See where the snare is…..it’s fucking jammed up against the bass drum pedal.

Old school drummers angle the snare away from them slightly, towards the bass drum. It’s magic for traditional grip.

29cb305cd99a0dc3c717ed13f5df29f7.jpg

Posted (edited)

i see what you are saying looking at this pic.

25hawkins-new-videoSixteenByNineJumbo160

there's just no way i can do that with the 8x10 with the current hardware setup without putting all my cymbals except the ride to the left of kick drum which would be a little weird. will try this set up for a hot minute though...and i have moved the snare back since snapping that pic. but no traditional grip here.

Edited by sidis

i see what you are saying looking at this pic.
25hawkins-new-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600.jpg

there's just no way i can do that with the 8x10 with the current hardware setup without putting all my cymbals except the ride to the left of kick drum which would be a little weird. will try this set up for a hot minute though...and i have moved the snare back since snapping that pic. but no traditional grip here.

Exactly. Where are you located?

I love Zildjian K cymbals.  I know they're "jazz" products, but they sound great on all kinds of music.
Of course, one needs Ringo Starr money to afford them.

If your daughter wants some K’s let me know. I think I have a few left. I have mainly paiste 2002 and signatures left. Some old zildjian customs too. I’d make you a deal.

7 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

If your daughter wants some K’s let me know. I think I have a few left. I have mainly paiste 2002 and signatures left. Some old zildjian customs too. I’d make you a deal.

They're about to sign a record deal.  At that point she's going to be angling for endorsements.  I doubt she'll be able to land a cymbal deal, most likely it will be sticks, heads, etc.  So, she's going to likely be looking because her current cymbals (mostly Zildjian A models) have taken a bit of a beating over time.  I'll talk to her when she gets off the road in a few weeks.  Thanks.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

when i got the core set last year, i went ahead and bit the bullet and just got all Ks for hihat, ride, and two crashes (you can see them all in the pix above). i added a little zild splash and it really makes me appreciate how awesome those Ks are.

whenever i finally give up on being a good drummer and am ready to unload the set, i will send them to you.  but i will require backstage passes to their grammy debut.

Edited by sidis
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, sidis said:

when i got the core set last year, i went ahead and bit the bullet and just got all Ks for hihat, ride, and two crashes (you can see them all in the pix above). i added a little zild splash and it really makes me appreciate how awesome those Ks are.

whenever i finally give up on being a good drummer and am ready to unload the set, i will send them to you.  but i will require backstage passes to their grammy debut.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here . . .

That k custom I have is a 20” “brilliant” which is quite heavy at almost 3000 grams. It’s my heavy ride with an absolute clear and piercing bell. The ride right above it is a paiste Masters 22” thin crash/ride…..and it’s quite a bit more money than the k custom. Cool cymbal tho….that one would work for jazz…the k custom not so much. The paiste has a crazy cool, almost gong like sound when you hit it and it opens up fully 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

My friend who is a pro hard rock drummer out of LA plays Paiste 2002 cymbals.  Swears by them.  I think he has an endorsement deal, though, so that might sway one's opinion.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1

I have some 2002 pieces as well….money wise, they’re about the same price as the giant beats. Extremely popular and for good reason.

One thing I have noticed is Paiste cymbals run very consistent weight wise….within 10-20 grams of each other. You can feel more confident buying sight unseen and good chance you get the sound you want.

Zildjian on the other hand….wild weight variances for any given model. I mean hundreds of grams. For example, that k custom brilliant ride I have, you can get that identical cymbal and it might weigh 2750…and the next one weighs almost 3100. Much more difficult to buy without the weight disclosed….or you can hear it in person before buying

Yeah, I used to by and sell Zildjians for pocket money through ebay/craigslist, before the latter shit the bed.  I had to weigh every cymbal and man they were all over the map.  Good profit margins, though, I could often (for instance) grab a set of New Beats for $80 and sell 'em for $175 or some such.  It was kind of a "thrill of the hunt" thing, and then I got bored.

My friend who is a pro hard rock drummer out of LA plays Paiste 2002 cymbals.  Swears by them.  I think he has an endorsement deal, though, so that might sway one's opinion.

I believe Bonham swore by them as well. Good enough for me.

I have some. They’re somewhere in the house. lol

You need a new kit.  You know you do.

Dude you’re a bad influence.

In all honesty, at one point I had about half of what he had in the store. I e gotten rid of 4 sets, probably 12-15 cymbals, and some hardware along with 7 bass drum pedals.

Down to 12-14 cymbals, 2 sets, and enough hardware for another couple sets.
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
Cool bit of news -- Istanbul Cymbals just sent my daughter a full set of their Agop line, which is their best cymbal.  A ride, 2 crashes, and a set of hi hats.  Just a gift.  Dayum.
Stock photo:
shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7HgcwbWF0-dsE63QG2tFTWzGQdH6QZGL7Q4qTAH-RRKQzxxwCcJ0DsvsHF95YCsSiBU9UJvfTJArsCCRx-r0bC4D-1ywGu4nFhKkBTrcvhapXKT52HT3uoniZ

Sweet man! That’s good stuff.

Any thoughts on the Istanbuls vs Zildjian or Sabian or Paiste?  I'm not familiar with them.

Man I think they’re great. I’d have no problem with a set of them at all. I actually bought a ride or crash for my associations open mic night set and it sounded fantastic.

I don’t really look at them as a tier below zildjian or the others. They’re fantastic.
  • Hook 'Em 1