Gumbo

1978horn

On 6/4/2024 at 12:16 PM, Brisketexan said:

That's why I said "usually."  You can deep fry the whole bird.  You can cut the breast into pieces and fry or cook with moist heat methods, and it's fine.  But there's a reason that 99% of roasted turkey breast meat needs gravy.

Also, I've never used a fried turkey carcass to make stock.  I bet that's pretty good.

Stock made from the fried turkey carcass, it was damn good.

6E5F7857-AF62-4596-AD61-D2E82D925892.jpeg

BE98470B-F812-4DC5-8A2E-6A7D0AAB63B3.jpeg

D3BC02DB-61D5-4A10-8BC3-ACF58FEA3D4B.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4

• 1 month later...

I have 20 qts rolling. I know it’s too hot, but we Beaumont folk eat it year round, and it’s my boy’s birthday.

I noticed these at heb for the first time yesterday and grabbed them on impulse, but now I’m second guessing throwing them in. It couldn’t hurt anything, could it?

0297e790d89af002902ec7713e2f4e4f.jpg
3c589f53dd3db4da78729fd576add992.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

No, they’re “cleaned.” Top shell, eyes, gills, etc removed but still in shell. (Or that’s what I call cleaned crabs when I am deep frying them.)

Blue crabs are my favorite food in the world; I guess I’ve just never seen frozen crabs in shell and I’m wary of a frozen crab messing up my gumbo.

🤔 I guess I'm missing something because the description I see from your post says "shells are removed"... nothing about "then "reassembled" (or put back on, whatevs).

Either way, when I make my Gumbo I use the "jumbo lump crab" packages (the largest of the 3 they sell).  Currently $ 17.88 from our Drip H.E.B.

I suppose the benefit of "whole" crab is there flavor from the shell. However when I'm eating Gumbo, I don't want to have to use my fingers to pick through the shell or crack open an arm / claw, etc.

& Yeah, even though it's 100⁰ out, now youbjave me wanting some, however I will try to hold out for 65⁰ days before I make my next pot.

Screenshot_20240721_134521_My H-E-B.jpg

On 7/21/2024 at 1:55 PM, ROFL BOX said:

🤔 I guess I'm missing something because the description I see from your post says "shells are removed"... nothing about "then "reassembled" (or put back on, whatevs).

Either way, when I make my Gumbo I use the "jumbo lump crab" packages (the largest of the 3 they sell).  Currently $ 17.88 from our Drip H.E.B.

I suppose the benefit of "whole" crab is there flavor from the shell. However when I'm eating Gumbo, I don't want to have to use my fingers to pick through the shell or crack open an arm / claw, etc.

& Yeah, even though it's 100⁰ out, now youbjave me wanting some, however I will try to hold out for 65⁰ days before I make my next pot.

Screenshot_20240721_134521_My H-E-B.jpg

My wife has historically loved crab.  But the last two times we've had crab, it was the nice expensive containers of lump crab.  Which, as fresh as it is....isn't truly fresh.  And there's something about the taste she doesn't like.  Last time I served it, she said "this is weird, but....maybe I don't like crab anymore?"  I suggested that it's that she doesn't like even the fresh canned stuff.  So, we're sticking with live crab, cooked fresh, from now on.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 7/21/2024 at 1:09 PM, harpercollins said:

I have 20 qts rolling. I know it’s too hot, but we Beaumont folk eat it year round, and it’s my boy’s birthday.

I noticed these at heb for the first time yesterday and grabbed them on impulse, but now I’m second guessing throwing them in. It couldn’t hurt anything, could it?

0297e790d89af002902ec7713e2f4e4f.jpg
3c589f53dd3db4da78729fd576add992.jpg

I have two bags in my chest freezer over at the shop. Interested in how they turned out.

CHIEF

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

My wife has historically loved crab.  But the last two times we've had crab, it was the nice expensive containers of lump crab.  Which, as fresh as it is....isn't truly fresh.  And there's something about the taste she doesn't like.  Last time I served it, she said "this is weird, but....maybe I don't like crab anymore?"  I suggested that it's that she doesn't like even the fresh canned stuff.  So, we're sticking with live crab, cooked fresh, from now on.

Question 1: are you near the ocean.

If no,

Question 2:  Doesn't matter

/Frozen shrimp probably is the exception to most of the above

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 3

Unless I’m doing the Baltimore blue crab feast I’m not picking little crabs. Living in SF and Oregon spoiled us on big dungeness and Alaskan varieties. (99 cents apiece!). It’s why I usually just go with big ass gulf shrimp.
  • Drool 1

• 3 weeks later...

In this last month before the older boy goes off to UT, I've made a lot of his favorite meals.  Last weekend, I was going to make gumbo, but everyone opted to go to the lake to ski; so gumbo was postponed.  I made a roux in the oven on Saturday night, jarred it, and put it in the fridge.  Tonight, I got cooking.  Naturally, I forgot to defrost the stock, but got it done.  The only thing I did differently was to add the roux after I cooked up the veggies in the fat from browning the sausage.  I'm not convinced I'll taste a difference since we're adding plenty of liquid from the chicken stock, but we'll see.  One thing I was proud of was finding the andouille sausage with the grandma's picture on the package my Cajun coworker told me was the one that tended to be used in her family and friend group in Louisiana.  But when I sent her a picture to confirm, she responded, "Right brand, but we use the regular Hickory smoked sausage instead of Andouille."  D'oh!  So I guess I'll try that next time to see what I prefer.  I still haven't tried the rice she says is most used since I'd have to order that one.  Anyway, a couple of hours to go and it will be served tomorrow after sitting overnight in the fridge.

The sausage

25d1c4455f8b937621e654ff7da2c9b7.jpg

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Question:  my wife is on a restricted carb diet.  For white rice, she's limited to 1/2 cup cooked rice per meal.  Would that just be ridiculous as a garnish on an entree-sized bowl of gumbo?  Sound like a very small amount of rice.

I did see a reference to potato salad instead of rice in gumbo, which would help, as potatoes aren't as carb-heavy as rice and they don't seem to jack with her blood sugar.  Is that really a thing? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Question:  my wife is on a restricted carb diet.  For white rice, she's limited to 1/2 cup cooked rice per meal.  Would that just be ridiculous as a garnish on an entree-sized bowl of gumbo?  Sound like a very small amount of rice.

I did see a reference to potato salad instead of rice in gumbo, which would help, as potatoes aren't as carb-heavy as rice and they don't seem to jack with her blood sugar.  Is that really a thing? 

I don't put a ton of rice in a bowl of gumbo.  I think she could get by with 1/2-cup of cooked rice.  I've heard about people pouring it over potato salad, but I haven't tried it.  I've poured turkey gumbo over leftover Thanksgiving dressing.  Did not suck.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

13 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I don't put a ton of rice in a bowl of gumbo.  I think she could get by with 1/2-cup of cooked rice.  

Thanks.  Would brown rice be a no-go?  It's about 30% less problematic than white rice.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Thanks.  Would brown rice be a no-go?  It's about 30% less problematic than white rice.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you can put whatever you like in your gumbo and the world will keep on turning.  If someone served me delicious gumbo with brown rice, I'd eat it with a smile on my face.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Just now, dcbc said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you can put whatever you like in your gumbo and the world will keep on turning.  If someone served me delicious gumbo with brown rice, I'd eat it with a smile on my face.

Yeah, I'm overthinking it.  That never happens.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, I'm overthinking it.  That never happens.

This isn't like cutting the bark off of brisket.  But then again, I'm from Texas and, while I take the making of gumbo in my house pretty seriously, it's not a religion to me.  The aforementioned Cajun coworker might have a stronger opinion about what things go into gumbo as a garnish than I do.  She has mentioned that some people use potato salad.  She's looked at my recipe and did not bat an eye at the South-Austin-recommended soy sauce addition.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, dcbc said:

This isn't like cutting the bark off of brisket.  But then again, I'm from Texas and, while I take the making of gumbo in my house pretty seriously, it's not a religion to me.  The aforementioned Cajun coworker might have a stronger opinion about what things go into gumbo as a garnish than I do.  She has mentioned that some people use potato salad.  She's looked at my recipe and did not bat an eye at the South-Austin-recommended soy sauce addition.

The way I see it, is I'm in Texas, and we're most likely going to have some differences and no-nos when it comes to us cooking foods from other regions. I'd hope a real deal LA person to understand that. But if I'm in Louisiana and get the balls up enough to cook gumbo there and invite cajuns/creole folks over to partake, I'm going to try to get it as  close to how they eat it, or specify that it's my version of it. 

Kinda how I feel about chili. I'm not going to go to another state and bitch about what they put in their chili. But if you're making it here in TX, and you're inviting me over for "Chili" and there's other shit in there, I'd appreciate that to be disclosed before I show up expecting a straight bowl of red. But I'll probably still eat it. 

1 hour ago, ROFL BOX said:

I'm gonna do my best to ignore this "pour over potato salad" heresy.

😕🙈🥴🤯😯

My Cajun wife would cut you if she heard this. She refuses to eat gumbo without potato salad. It’s definitely a thing in Southern Louisiana.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

My Cajun wife would cut you if she heard this. She refuses to eat gumbo without potato salad. It’s definitely a thing in Southern Louisiana.

How about with red beans and rice? I made red beans and rice last weekend and all I could think was how good it'd be with some potato salad. Next time I'm thinking about ditching the rice and just picking up some mustard potato salad from HEB and going with it. 

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

How about with red beans and rice? I made red beans and rice last weekend and all I could think was how good it'd be with some potato salad. Next time I'm thinking about ditching the rice and just picking up some mustard potato salad from HEB and going with it. 

She would never put potato salad in red beans. 

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Absolutely yes regarding potato salad. but more so on Cajun style, rather than Creole.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Tonesky said:

Absolutely yes regarding potato salad. but more so on Cajun style, rather than Creole.

OK, I'm over my skis here, but I am willing to learn.  (Hey to Winger & Ziskey.)   I know the difference between Creole & Cajun jambalaya (tomatoes).  Same for gumbo or is it something else?

I don't put a ton of rice in a bowl of gumbo.  I think she could get by with 1/2-cup of cooked rice.  I've heard about people pouring it over potato salad, but I haven't tried it.  I've poured turkey gumbo over leftover Thanksgiving dressing.  Did not suck.

That…is a fantastic idea that I’ve never done. Guessing that a ladle of turkey gumbo over my mom’s oyster dressing recipe would be beautiful.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

That…is a fantastic idea that I’ve never done. Guessing that a ladle of turkey gumbo over my mom’s oyster dressing recipe would be beautiful.

Any excuse for me to combine T-giving dressing with some other food, process, or activity like some sort of Costanza-esque Sexcapade is a challenge I'm willing to accept.

See Dressing Waffle

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

I'm gonna do my best to ignore this "pour over potato salad" heresy.

😕🙈🥴🤯😯

6 hours ago, South Austin said:

I thought the same, until I put a scoop of potato salad over my turkey gumbo last Thanksgiving, and it was fucking awesome.

5 hours ago, hornmpa96 said:

Some follow up on my earlier post.  On the smoked sausage vs. andouille sausage thing, Cajun coworker thinks the closer you get to New Orleans, the more likely you are to see andouille used in gumbo.  She thinks the regular, smoked sausage variation is more common in and near Acadia Parish where she's from.

The rice she swears by is Cajun Country medium grain rice.  It looks like I can get this stuff in east Texas.  Why medium grain?  "Who can say.  It's one of those things we've been doing so long, nobody remembers why we started doing it in the first place."

On the subject of potato salad in gumbo.  She says, "When we do it, rice in bowl, gumbo over rice, dollop of potato salad on top of gumbo." 

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 3

Dont overthink gumbo. It’s basically a stew of poor folks and will contain shit you have from hunting or fishing. It’s pure Acadiana and recipes will vary almost by township and family traditions. Basically make you a roux and make you gumbo. If you like it, it’s good. I usually use gulf shrimps, chicken, and andouille. Worst I had was at a deer camp and a dude made one with a beaver. Putrid but that thing might have been in his freezer since 1966.

Potato salad came to gumbo from Germans arriving in Cajun country in the late 1800’s. It’s popular around Abbeville, and my friends from Church Point eat it like that. I like it. Rice too.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

All I know is that last time I made it, I used the Alton Brown tip to make the roux in the oven and holy shit that made things easier.  We could not be less cajun/creole, although my wife's maiden name might make one question that.  It turns out it's Belgian.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, dcbc said:

The only thing I did differently was to add the roux after I cooked up the veggies in the fat from browning the sausage.  I'm not convinced I'll taste a difference since we're adding plenty of liquid from the chicken stock, but we'll see.  

This is how I've always done it.  (Learned it from my mom & brother)

Edited by Rip76
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

All I know is that last time I made it, I used the Alton Brown tip to make the roux in the oven and holy shit that made things easier.  We could not be less cajun/creole, although my wife's maiden name might make one question that.  It turns out it's Belgian.

According to aforementioned coworker, oven-roux is very common.  So not in the non-traditional camp.

My opinion.  Oven roux is superior in flavor to stove-top roux.  The fact that it's more hands-off is a plus, but in my experience, it is in no way a time-saver.  If anything, it takes between 30 minutes to an hour longer for me to do an oven-roux than it does to do a stove-top roux.  In the end, I do it because I find it to be noticeably better.  The ease of doing it in advance to save time the day of the cook is great too.

Edited to add that I'm not a person that's going to do something simply because it's traditional.  My gumbo recipe has evolved over the years (entirely due to this thread) and when I try something new, the only thing that will cause me to add it to the official recipe is if it (1) makes the gumbo noticeably better and (2) if it's not a pain in the ass either in effort or time involved versus the level of improvement.  The biggest flavor level-ups over the years for me have been homemade stock and oven roux. 

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1