The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

On 10/3/2024 at 9:56 AM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Why are they standing in front of a flag from the mid-1800s? From 1867 to 1877, the U.S. flag had 37 stars.

Because that's where we're headed if we didn't get this right.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

Fuck SCOTUS in its skunk ass for making misinformation protected political speech. Those members who supported the protection of misinformation need to be removed from the bench. Full stop.

Just so you know, no court, including the Roberts court, has expressly held that false or mis- information is protected by the First Amendment.

The seminal case on the matter was decided in 1964, NY Times v. Sullivan, which makes the First Amendment a limitation on the ability to sue for defamation, which requires proof of falsity.  It is the source of the actual malice standard for public figures.  That was decided by the Warren Court, not what most would consider a conservative court.

The closest it has come is US v. Alvarez, with a plurality opinion including RBG and Sotomayor holding that the Stolen Valor Act was unconstitutional and rejecting the government's position that falsehoods are not protected by the First Amendment.  Alito, Thomas, and Scalia dissented, arguing that falsehoods actually were excluded from protection of the First Amendment.

So, be careful who you want removed from the bench, there.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just so you know, no court, including the Roberts court, has expressly held that false or mis- information is protected by the First Amendment.
The seminal case on the matter was decided in 1964, NY Times v. Sullivan, which makes the First Amendment a limitation on the ability to sue for defamation, which requires proof of falsity.  It is the source of the actual malice standard for public figures.  That was decided by the Warren Court, not what most would consider a conservative court.
The closest it has come is US v. Alvarez, with a plurality opinion including RBG and Sotomayor holding that the Stolen Valor Act was unconstitutional and rejecting the government's position that falsehoods are not protected by the First Amendment.  Alito, Thomas, and Scalia dissented, arguing that falsehoods actually were excluded from protection of the First Amendment.

Nah, I’m pretty comfortable removing those fucksticks
  • Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Thanks for your post. I’m not accustomed to memory glitches, and I believe I read about a ruling, in the last few years, that affirmed misinformation was protected political speech.

A quick search gets bogged down with a recent decision regarding social media, so I will take your word on the subject, at least until I have the time to track down whatever it was that sourced my memory. I will keep my mouth shut on the subject until then.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I perused the Conservative and Republican forums on Reddit. Holy cow. Talk about an echo chamber of delusion. They’ve structured these forums so that dissenting viewpoints that point out disinformation aren’t allowed. As a result, none of the ridiculous posts of disinformation are ever challenged. This reinforces their delusion even further. It’s really concerning. These people are living in a fantasy world. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Willfully Horn said:

Thanks for your post. I’m not accustomed to memory glitches, and I believe I read about a ruling, in the last few years, that affirmed misinformation was protected political speech.

A quick search gets bogged down with a recent decision regarding social media, so I will take your word on the subject, at least until I have the time to track down whatever it was that sourced my memory. I will keep my mouth shut on the subject until then.

It's one of those things that doesn't quite line up.  Thomas' most fervent wish is to overrule Sullivan. And that would probably most squarely remove 1A protection from false or mis- information. 

The most recent decisions of the Roberts court actually favor regulation of misinformation, in result if not reasoning. 

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Nah, I’m pretty comfortable removing those fucksticks

What he was arguing for was the opposite. The fucksticks actually argued that falsehoods weren't protected. 

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Struggle with this guy’s cadence even when he stumbles on a good point. This is not one of those times.

I reiterate my position that Teslas are MAGA hats on wheels. I just assume the driver is a Trumper when I see one these days.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

I reiterate my position that Teslas are MAGA hats on wheels. I just assume the driver is a Trumper when I see one these days.

In the past two days, I’ve had a Tesla turn the wrong way down a one way street and defiantly drive right at me as I honked at him, and another make a u-turn in the middle of the road, just whipping around and fuckig over people in both direction. So, yes, narcissist assholes.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

In the past two days, I’ve had a Tesla turn the wrong way down a one way street and defiantly drive right at me as I honked at him, and another make a u-turn in the middle of the road, just whipping around and fuckig over people in both direction. So, yes, narcissist assholes.

The Daily Show Wow GIF by The Daily Show with Trevor Noah

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

What he was arguing for was the opposite. The fucksticks actually argued that falsehoods weren't protected. 

And I’m arguing that despite them being on the right side on that particular ruling, I’d like all three of them thrown out of the Court.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

And I’m arguing that despite them being on the right side on that particular ruling, I’d like all three of them thrown out of the Court.

Well Scalia, or God, took care of that for ya.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, royiv said:

My wife drives one. She loves it but I tell her this every day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Periodic reminder that the GOP actively breaks government so it can run on a platform of broken government. They are very excited to delay and obstruct disaster relief to a swing state in October so they blame the administration.

can Biden issue an executive order or is there some "back pocket" work-around here?

2 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

can Biden issue an executive order or is there some "back pocket" work-around here?

Executive can only redirect funds that have already been allocated (which it is doing); it cannot spend funds that Congress has not voted on. You need a supplemental, this is the same movie we saw with Ukraine funding last year.  

The GOP will eventually vote one through but they want to ride out the current (Elon-driven) wave of “the gub’mint ain’t there for y’all” and then have headlines on money coming closer to Election Day. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 3

6 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Executive can only redirect funds that have already been allocated (which it is doing); it cannot spend funds that Congress has not voted on. You need a supplemental, this is the same movie we saw with Ukraine funding last year.  

The GOP will eventually vote one through but they want to ride out the current (Elon-driven) wave of “the gub’mint ain’t there for y’all” and then have headlines on money coming closer to Election Day. 

I hope the people trying to collect the splinters of their lives have a second to take notice of the GOP efforts to obstruct relief. There's that h-word again

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

Just now, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I hope the people trying to collect the splinters of their lives have a second to take notice of the GOP efforts to obstruct relief. There's that h-word again

This is not a comment on what we should do, because helping Americans recover from a disaster that wrecks lives is the right thing to do no matter who the Americans are. 

Appalachia is the largest per capita recipient of federal largesse and they consistently vote red.  This is not an area prone to reflection. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5
  • Rage+1 2

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

How disgusting that an ex-military member gives a Purple Heart to a draft dodger. Even if Trump can’t stop the offer, a decent would refuse to take that from a vet. 

Pretty much anyone not named Trump would have said "No, no, I can't accept this.  You earned it, I did not."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I only lived on the gulf side of Florida for 8 years. I remember many storms heading that direction from Mexico across the gulf. Not all hurricanes obviously, but same theory.

BTW, my old stomping grounds are in the middle of the current projection. They are already  dealing with enough from the storm surge from the last one. This one could get really bad in those areas.

• Hook 'Em 1

In 2020, Pinellas County went 49/49 Trump/Biden, and Hillsborough County went 46/52.  That covers most of the Tampa vote.  Sure, Biden's administration is steering hurricanes into a majority-Biden metro area.  Gotcha.

20 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Since 1841, 15 hurricanes have formed in the Gulf and moved East:

4100f8b445abc4d5efd38893df06d426.jpg

Sorry, but it's much more likely that we are now capable of creating and controlling fucking hurricanes. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Pancho said:

image.thumb.png.98d2576c984364e11b3dcead39d535ab.png

What’s funny/not funny/terrifying is what we see has an explanation.  An explanation rooted in science and supported by empirical evidence.  Global warming/climate change has been warned about and laughed off for decades now.

But some people have gone so far up the river Colonel Kurtz style, they can’t see what’s happening in our changing climate and pause for a moment of reflection: what if the scientists are right?  No, it’s easier for them to invent a reality where the US government has weaponized the weather against its citizens.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

19 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Maybe it's just me, but  lately I've been seeing an awful lot of "keep the gubment out of ar lives!!!" types bitching about gubment aid taking too long. 

Edited by Pescado_Rojo
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1