The movie you just watched

F250

20 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Still waiting on that one to stream. I'm excited

It's on Netflix. It defaulted to the English dub for me - I had to change it to the Japanese with subtitles.

I enjoyed this but I have im not really sure what I think of it. I don't think it's noir but maybe it is.

Bogart is Bogart.  The apartment complex where they is a character itself.  Gloria Grahame is wonderful.

20240723_215443.thumb.jpg.77153a670543bf4ece88c8b5cd84f0ee.jpg

I went on a bit of a tear last week:

Slap Shot - Regrettably the first time I had seen it, even though I heard about it for years.  Some of it REALLY doesn't age well, but still a lot of fun.  The Hansons were obviously the best part, but overall really enjoyed the rest too.  Paul Newman was just a king.  

Miller's Crossing - Saw this year's ago and kind of shrugged my shoulders, but it felt like it was more of a me thing.  I went to Alamo Village to see it and it was a me thing.  This movie was so good and had that Cohen brother thing where they inject enough silliness to lighten a dark drama and make it fun.  Gabrielle Byrne held up as the focus (he should have had a better career) and Turturro was perfect as usual.  I like Marcia Gay Harden, but she was miscast here.  Otherwise, wonderful.

Sabotage - I am starting a project to watch all of the Hitchcock films (over 7.0 on IMDB) and this was the first.  It was pretty slow and boring for the most part as it had that old school pacing.  Not much really happened, but it was early in his career.  That said, you could see a lot of places where he was being innovative and working out his style.  Not a great movie, but a good example of a filmmaker figuring it out.  I did chuckle when I saw the scene when the boy tries to bring film onto a streetcar as it is the scene Tarantino cut into Inglorious Bastards to explain how film is very flammable.  I had no idea what it was from previously.

Maxxxine - I really enjoyed the first 2/3's, but the end fell flat for me.  The identity of the killer wasn't the issue, I just felt the presentation and resolution was cheesy.  Still worth seeing, but disappointed in the end.

PAW Patrol Movie - Kids choice for Family Movie Night.  I don't want to talk about it.

The Third Man - Went to the Paramount on Saturday for this screening.  I hadn't seen it in awhile straight through and never in a theater.  Stone cold classic.  I had forgotten (and the crowd helped here) how funny it is at times.  And of course it has one of the best character reveals in film history.  The one complaint is that the sewer scene does drag too long.  A+ though and great to see at the Paramount.

Inside Out 2 - Finally got to take the family to this over the weekend.  Not up to the original, but it was still really good.  My 7 year old daughter probably didn't totally get it yet, but it was definitely a good message about all of the parts of us that make us who we are.  

Rebecca - #2 on the Hitchcock rewatch.  This one was really good and Hitchcock was getting better for sure.  It still has some old school pacing and sexual politics, but getting past those, it is clear why it won Best Picture.  Laurence Olivier was terrific and the twists and turns all made sense and kept it really engaging.  I feel like this gets lost in the Hitchcock canon as his best comes later, but it's really worth a look.

The Lady Vanishes - #3 rewatch.  This was one I knew nothing about, but really enjoyed.  It was actually really funny throughout (Michael Redgrave was really great) and the twists and turns were fun.  They did a great job building all of the characters early to make you like and root for them when things get crazy.  Again, you could see him adding some innovations in the filmmaking.  Not essential Hitchcock, but a fun 100 minute mystery from a master.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Stringer said:

I went on a bit of a tear last week:

Slap Shot - Regrettably the first time I had seen it, even though I heard about it for years.  Some of it REALLY doesn't age well, but still a lot of fun.  The Hansons were obviously the best part, but overall really enjoyed the rest too.  Paul Newman was just a king.  

Just curious, what did you think didn’t age well?

16 hours ago, Stringer said:

Miller's Crossing - Saw this year's ago and kind of shrugged my shoulders, but it felt like it was more of a me thing.  I went to Alamo Village to see it and it was a me thing.  This movie was so good and had that Cohen brother thing where they inject enough silliness to lighten a dark drama and make it fun.  Gabrielle Byrne held up as the focus (he should have had a better career) and Turturro was perfect as usual.  I like Marcia Gay Harden, but she was miscast here.  Otherwise, wonderful.

This is such an underrated/unsung gem. The Coen Bros. have made several great movies, and I consider Miller's Crossing one of their best, if not THE best, yet it rarely gets mentioned.

It's not as funny as O Brother or Raising Arizona, not as quotable as Lebowski, not as bizarre as Barton Fink, and not as dark as Fargo or No Country. It's just a masterpiece, an homage to "gangster noir" films of the past. Gabriel Byrne's performance is sublimely subtle--the perfect complement to Turturro and Polito's characters.

To others here: if you've never seen Miller's Crossing, or if it's been some time since your last viewing, please give it a watch.

millers-crossing-01.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Just curious, what did you think didn’t age well?

I may have been overstating the "REALLY" there, but the use of "faggots" and "dyke" stood out.  It was actually played pretty progressively for the time, though.  They poked fun but nothing about homosexuality being wrong or any of that nonsense.     

Posted (edited)
On 7/25/2024 at 1:26 AM, Billy Pilgrim said:

Watched a new Netflix movie called Land of Bad- stars Russel Crow and Liam Hemsworth. Great action movie- in the same vein as the Extraction series. Worth the watch.

Thanks for the rec, watched it last night while Mrs, jdhorn92 (no pics) was out.  Very entertaining.

Edited by jdhorn92
added no pics b/c surly

On 12/26/2019 at 1:01 PM, Trey3216 said:

Almost Famous is one of my faves 

Watching it on AMC for the umpteenth time. This time the "bootleg cut."

Stillwater is the third shittiest band name ever. Right behind Hoobastank and Air Supply.

I mean Fever Dog rocks and all but I'd rather stay in the parking lot and slam a few more cheap beers before Black Sabbath came on

• Haha 3

On 7/26/2024 at 12:28 PM, jdhorn92 said:

Thanks for the rec, watched it last night while Mrs, jdhorn92 (no pics) was out.  Very entertaining.

I endorse the above recommendation.  Land of Bad was goooo-ooood, as Cousin Eddie would say.  Nice mix of cutting edge high tech big brother drone surveillance helping secret U.S. paramilitary good guys vs very nasty head lopping bad guys.  Edgy but believable.  Although Crowe looks like he drank only beer and ate only deep dish pizza for a couple of months before filming this one, he still commands the screen as usual.  I’ll have to pass on that vacation to the Philippines or wherever the fuck they were supposed to be.

On 7/27/2024 at 6:59 PM, Bama Llama said:

I endorse the above recommendation.  Land of Bad was goooo-ooood, as Cousin Eddie would say.  Nice mix of cutting edge high tech big brother drone surveillance helping secret U.S. paramilitary good guys vs very nasty head lopping bad guys.  Edgy but believable.  Although Crowe looks like he drank only beer and ate only deep dish pizza for a couple of months before filming this one, he still commands the screen as usual.  I’ll have to pass on that vacation to the Philippines or wherever the fuck they were supposed to be.

Agreed.  The  college basketball/March Madness references were funny/cringy.  It comes up twice at least, with highlights and actual game footage.  They are trying to pass it off as right in the middle of the sweet 16, but clearly one of the games they show is the SEC tournament, then later they show a game @ Duke, and its clearly a Duke home game.  Kind of one Easter egg they might should have covered their tracks a little better.

On 7/24/2024 at 11:26 PM, Billy Pilgrim said:

Watched a new Netflix movie called Land of Bad- stars Russel Crow and Liam Hemsworth. Great action movie- in the same vein as the Extraction series. Worth the watch.

I enjoyed this. (As did my 14 yo son). Crowe looks rough in this movie. 

On 7/23/2024 at 5:09 PM, Lazarus Bocanegra said:

spacer.png

This movie eluded me until yesterday.  Recently listened to the Herzog episode of WTF Pod and sought it out.  Worth the investment of time.  If you haven't seen it, go in cold, then read about it after.  Mind-boggling filmmaking

Watch this movie then ‘Burden Of Dreams’, a great Les Blank documentary about the making of this movie. Herzog was a fucking nutjob…

On 5/19/2024 at 6:28 PM, UpperWestside said:

I Saw the TV Glow. Watched it last night. I am certain it will resonate better with other folks. It was a one time watch movie for me.

On 5/21/2024 at 5:41 PM, UpperWestside said:

I will defer to you on her as I can tell you zero about her work. A guy I work with did a nice breakdown of the movie for me because I do not really read reviews ahead of time. I would have it listed as a drama and not a horror movie, at least in the traditional sense of what watching a horror movie means.

The focus on the trans experience is why I believe there will be a personal connection to the movie that will resonate better with others who watch it. I believe movies like these have an important place in cinema even if they are not movies that everyone can connect with. I would say to perhaps stream it when it comes out and see what you think of it and not what others feel about this one.

Finally saw this one and while it's not my favorite film ever, I liked it a lot. I wish they'd stop marketing it as horror because it's really, really not. The lead actors were great. I thought this Vulture review, by a trans woman, gives the most insightful interpretation I've seen. A few highlights spoilered just in case., and I bolded a line that particularly resonated with me (I'm a cis woman, fwiw).

Spoiler

Humans’ lives unfold in a constant state of becoming until death, but trans people are uniquely keyed in to what this means thanks to the simple fact of our identities. You can get lost in that liminality, too, forever trapped in a midnight realm of your own making, stuck between what you believe is true (I am a nice man with a good family and a good job, and I love my life) and what you know, deep in your most terrified heart of hearts, is real (I am a girl suffocating in a box).

And yet if you want to read the film as being about the dangerous allure of nostalgia, you’re not wrong. I Saw the TV Glow totally supports that interpretation, too! But in tempting you with that reading, the film creates a trap for cis viewers that will be all too familiar to trans viewers. Somewhere in the middle of Maddy’s story about The Pink Opaque being real, you will make a choice between “This kid has lost it!” and “No. Go with her, Owen,” and in asking you to make that choice, TV Glow is simulating the act of self-accepting a trans identity.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2024 at 8:35 AM, austingirl said:

Finally saw this one and while it's not my favorite film ever, I liked it a lot. I wish they'd stop marketing it as horror because it's really, really not. The lead actors were great. I thought this Vulture review, by a trans woman, gives the most insightful interpretation I've seen. A few highlights spoilered just in case., and I bolded a line that particularly resonated with me (I'm a cis woman, fwiw).

Hide contents

Humans’ lives unfold in a constant state of becoming until death, but trans people are uniquely keyed in to what this means thanks to the simple fact of our identities. You can get lost in that liminality, too, forever trapped in a midnight realm of your own making, stuck between what you believe is true (I am a nice man with a good family and a good job, and I love my life) and what you know, deep in your most terrified heart of hearts, is real (I am a girl suffocating in a box).

And yet if you want to read the film as being about the dangerous allure of nostalgia, you’re not wrong. I Saw the TV Glow totally supports that interpretation, too! But in tempting you with that reading, the film creates a trap for cis viewers that will be all too familiar to trans viewers. Somewhere in the middle of Maddy’s story about The Pink Opaque being real, you will make a choice between “This kid has lost it!” and “No. Go with her, Owen,” and in asking you to make that choice, TV Glow is simulating the act of self-accepting a trans identity.

Thanks for sharing that. I can understand the thought process behind what you quoted. I do believe this film resonates better with some folks than others, but that’s all film I guess. I am glad it is helping some folks out and giving them something to watch that touches them emotionally.

1 minute ago, wutang75 said:

X - Liked it
Pearl - Loved it
Maxxxine - Didn’t get it at all. I had a tough time getting through it.

Maxxxine seemed to be all over the place. I don’t regret seeing it. It was just hard to follow at certain points. The ending was pretty easy to guess though. 

57 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I've been having a movie marathon the last 2 days and so far I've watched Deadpool and Wolverine, The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare, Ong-Bak Thai Warrior, Monkey Man, Sisu, and Clean.

j0Uq1E.gif

• Haha 2

On 7/25/2024 at 10:49 AM, Braff Zacklin said:

This is such an underrated/unsung gem. The Coen Bros. have made several great movies, and I consider Miller's Crossing one of their best, if not THE best, yet it rarely gets mentioned.

It's not as funny as O Brother or Raising Arizona, not as quotable as Lebowski, not as bizarre as Barton Fink, and not as dark as Fargo or No Country. It's just a masterpiece, an homage to "gangster noir" films of the past. Gabriel Byrne's performance is sublimely subtle--the perfect complement to Turturro and Polito's characters.

To others here: if you've never seen Miller's Crossing, or if it's been some time since your last viewing, please give it a watch.

millers-crossing-01.gif

I really love the Coens but I watched Burn After Reading lately and realized that they’re capable of missing sometimes, too. 

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

I really love the Coens but I watched Burn After Reading lately and realized that they’re capable of missing sometimes, too. 

Haha I love that movie, too, but they definitely have a few misses, beginning and ending with The Ladykillers remake.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/25/2024 at 1:26 AM, Billy Pilgrim said:

I watched Land of the Bad. A pretty decent Netflix action movie. The plot was ridiculous but despite the silliness including fat Russell Crowe, it was an entertaining flick.

Cuckoo. This movie is aptly described by the title. I loved it and would watch it again. Had some real nazi overtones in this with some of the stuff that happens, but the movie is set in Bavaria so it fits. Would definitely recommend seeing it. Original horror movies like this are fun to watch. I had no expectations going in, but am glad I went to see it. Very good storyline and acting. 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2024 at 4:58 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

Halfway through Bottoms on Prime. Refreshing raunchy R rated comedy that has been very good so far. Had never even heard of it. 

I saw that about nine months ago, and I thought it was batshit crazy, and completely enjoyable.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/7/2024 at 5:29 PM, Braff Zacklin said:

but they definitely have a few misses, beginning and ending with The Ladykillers remake.

Unlike every other Coen brothers movie never had a desire to watch it again. Still can smell the stink on that turd

• Haha 1

On 8/7/2024 at 9:20 AM, Spider2YBanana said:

I've been having a movie marathon the last 2 days and so far I've watched Deadpool and Wolverine, The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare, Ong-Bak Thai Warrior, Monkey Man, Sisu, and Clean.

I would like to see SISU and Deadpool back-to-back. I remember texting a friend in Finland about how good that movie was and his response back was “I’m glad we finally have a good movie to go see.”

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I would like to see SISU and Deadpool back-to-back. I remember texting a friend in Finland about how good that movie was and his response back was “I’m glad we finally have a good movie to go see.”

It was great. I took off work to just kind of take my mind off of everything, so I said fuck it, I'm doing a marathon. Ended up watching Deadpool 1 & 2 later in the day as well. 

I'm pretty sure the Nazi in Sisu was also a Nazi in Ungentlemanly Warfare. 

Have you seen Deadpool and Wolverine yet? Tbh, it really is good, but it's still 3rd behind the first two. According to the director and Ryan Reynolds, it's not Deadpool 3, it's a standalone movie. If you just want to have a fun time it's definitely worth the money. If you see movies often enough, I'd recommend getting the Cinemark app and joining for $10 a month. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

It was great. I took off work to just kind of take my mind off of everything, so I said fuck it, I'm doing a marathon. Ended up watching Deadpool 1 & 2 later in the day as well. 

I'm pretty sure the Nazi in Sisu was also a Nazi in Ungentlemanly Warfare. 

Have you seen Deadpool and Wolverine yet? Tbh, it really is good, but it's still 3rd behind the first two. According to the director and Ryan Reynolds, it's not Deadpool 3, it's a standalone movie. If you just want to have a fun time it's definitely worth the money. If you see movies often enough, I'd recommend getting the Cinemark app and joining for $10 a month. 

I have gone to see it twice. I loved it and want at least 2-3 more with Reynolds and Jackman. Such amazing chemistry. I will probably go again early next week.

I have AMC’s monthly pass and usually get at least two movies a week and sometimes three. There’s always a bunch of foreign films at the AMC on 42nd that are randomly interesting to see.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I have gone to see it twice. I loved it and want at least 2-3 more with Reynolds and Jackman. Such amazing chemistry. I will probably go again early next week.

I have AMC’s monthly pass and usually get at least two movies a week and sometimes three. There’s always a bunch of foreign films at the AMC on 42nd that are randomly interesting to see.

Nice! And yeah, we're going to see it again on Sunday. I concur, we need at least 3-4 more movies with those two. Such great chemistry. Absolutely hilarious! I think I heard Jackman signed a multi-movie deal with Marvel, so I bet we see him in Secret Wars for sure. Now having Dr. Doom in the MCU we're getting back on track. That's gonna be epic. My fingers are crossed we get to see all 3 Spider-men, bring back the FOX X-Men, and hopefully Chris Evans as Captain America. 

Those passes are great to have, regardless of whether it's AMC, Cinemark, etc. I've built up so many rewards and get free movies, so when I'm bored I just say screw it, I'll go check this or that out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/7/2024 at 5:29 PM, Braff Zacklin said:

Haha I love that movie, too, but they definitely have a few misses, beginning and ending with The Ladykillers remake.

Burn After Reading improves on second and third viewing, where you aren't expecting it to make any real sense, but just enjoy the characters and scenes.  A bit like Lebowski in some ways.

On 8/10/2024 at 10:10 PM, MirrOlure said:

The Menu

Wife says “oh cool, a foodie chef restaurant movie like The Bear”

What.
In.
The.
Actual.
Fuck?

This line reading from Hong Chau is incredible.  Makes me laugh every time.  

"Tortillas deliciosa"