The movie you just watched

F250

1960 Magnificent 7

to my great shame I had forgotten Tuco was Calvera.  

I hadn’t seen it in 15 years or more.  I actually liked the remake and have watched 7 Samurai as well.  

It suffers some watching in HD,  there were a number of comically bad visuals that I don’t recall from days gone by.

• Hook 'Em 1

I watched The End of Us with Blake Lively this week and enjoyed it. It’s, in my opinion, a woman’s empowerment movie with uplifting tones, but mixed in with the real world strife she and her mother suffered from in the movie. It was worth seeing.

Slingshot was a really interesting sci-fi psychological thriller about three men on a flight to Saturn’s moon Titan. It showed how the mind can break down under prolonged stress. Laurence Fishburne was one of the leads and I liked the way the twists were shown as the movie progressed. Really well done I thought.

I, Robot (2004)

Really weak, viewing it for the first time in 2024. But 20 years ago when it came out, apparently it did huge box office summer blockbuster numbers and was well received and cutting edge robotics and AI.

I, Robot was the baby, sanitized version of an edgier vehicle like Westworld.

48 minutes ago, Parliament said:

With a better ending and less Will Smith, it coulda been a good movie.  The CGI holds up amazingly well though.

Agree and disagree. There was some serious "early days of greenscreen" going on where Will Smith's background looks as realistic as a background at Olan Mills or Glamour Shots. But other parts weren't as bad.

Edited by MinerProphet

13 hours ago, MinerProphet said:

I, Robot (2004)

Really weak, viewing it for the first time in 2024. But 20 years ago when it came out, apparently it did huge box office summer blockbuster numbers and was well received and cutting edge robotics and AI.

I, Robot was the baby, sanitized version of an edgier vehicle like Westworld.

It was also based on an Isaac Asimov collection of short stories from 1950, so the original concept was well ahead of its time. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

It was also based on an Isaac Asimov collection of short stories from 1950, so the original concept was well ahead of its time. 

I think it was originally supposed to be, but after the studio re-writes and cutting sessions, it was almost content-wise nothing like anything Asimov except in name only. At least that's what the google intertron tells me.

Strange Darling - Small movie that the Alamo has been promoting.  I think it premiered at Fantastic Fest last fall.  I really enjoyed it.  If you are missing the 80's/90's serial killer movies, I highly recommend this.  95% on RT, so it's been highly regarded, if not well known.  

On 8/28/2024 at 7:19 AM, Jerry Callo said:

For some reason Mrs. Callo wanted to watch The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, so we did that on Sunday.  Not a great movie, but seeing at least one spaghetti western is probably a good idea.  Unfortunately, I mentioned that it was part of a loose trilogy.  Ended up watching A Fist Full of Dollars and A Few Dollars More on Sunday and Monday night.  

This type of scene happens frequently in these three movies:

spacer.png

Some quick thoughts:

• I love your barbecue reviews.
  • You've already gotten a chunk of negative feedback on this perspective so I'll try to be gentle.
  • And everyone's entitled to his/her opinion ...
  • But maybe, just maybe, you were in a bad mood or harboring some sort of negative energy when you watched because I'm shocked that you of all people didn't enjoy it. 
  • Yes, his movies are slow. Yes, the dubbed dialog can be ridiculous at times, at least until your brain adjusts and no longer pays attention to it.
  • And, yeah, Leone loves to go from extreme close-up to extreme wide-angle shots.

But holy shit, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is a masterpiece. It and Once Upon a Time in the West are better than any Western not named Unforgiven. (This is where the turns have tabled and most would say I'm nuts.)

They're very different movies, of course. The Good is more of an Incredible Journey meets slapstick comedy, and Once Upon a Time is much darker and more serious in tone. 

Ennio Morricone's score alone puts The Good far beyond most Westerns. And Eli Wallach (RIP and 🤘hook 'em!🤘) stole every fucking scene he was in.

OK, enough fanboi-ing. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

But holy shit, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is a masterpiece. It and Once Upon a Time in the West are better than any Western not named Unforgiven.

this is where you lose all credibility.

I love clint eastwood and unforgiven is overrated as hell. 

• Hook 'Em 1

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. 

This is a good little movie. It's plenty goofy but has good character development and decent action and plot. Plus it's a very unique premise. Just a fun, solid early 2000s action flick a la The Mummy.

Much better than the 5.8 it has on IMDB or its 17% on RT. Granted Hollywood has been releasing absolute garbage blockbusters with zero originality or risk-taking for awhile now. 

Edited by ztejas

Killing of a Sacred Deer. I turned it off with 30 mins left because I could tell where it was going and 

Spoiler

I don’t like realistic violence against children.

But it’s probably the last time Nicole Kidman looked really great before she did whatever she did to her face. 

Passengers with Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence

The editing in this movie is so incredibly abrupt. None of the scenes are allowed to breathe. Everything else is secondary to the terrible editing. It makes the movie unwatchable.

22 minutes ago, ajax said:

Passengers with Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence

The editing in this movie is so incredibly abrupt. None of the scenes are allowed to breathe. Everything else is secondary to the terrible editing. It makes the movie unwatchable.

Could have been so much better.

On 9/7/2024 at 7:33 AM, Buzzrock said:

Killing of a Sacred Deer. I turned it off with 30 mins left because I could tell where it was going and 

Reveal hidden contents

I don’t like realistic violence against children.

But it’s probably the last time Nicole Kidman looked really great before she did whatever she did to her face. 

You lasted longer than me. I gave it a shot because it was billed as a “horror” movie on Max but I had to turn it off after about 45 mins because it just wasn’t going anywhere. The acting and dialogue were so stiff which made it even worse (I looked it up, apparently that was affect the director was going for but it was extremely distracting).

7 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

You lasted longer than me. I gave it a shot because it was billed as a “horror” movie on Max but I had to turn it off after about 45 mins because it just wasn’t going anywhere. The acting and dialogue were so stiff which made it even worse (I looked it up, apparently that was affect the director was going for but it was extremely distracting).

He makes weird movies for sure. I liked The Lobster and of course Poor Things, but this one didn’t do it for me. 

Caught Arthur on TCM the other night, never gets old and neither does this line... 
 Thank you for a memorable afternoon, usually one must go to a bowling alley to meet a woman of your stature.

Where’s the other half of that moose?
  • Like 2

Saw The Killer's Game with Dave Bautista last night.  Good popcorn movie.  If you like the badass-international-hitman genre you'll probably like this one.  Good cast, some really funny moments, and doesn't take itself too seriously.  Not too long.  A good comparison is Bullet Train.  It's at like 36% on Rotten Tomatoes, but I enjoyed it and the other twenty folks in the theater were laughing and having a good time.