The movie you just watched

F250

23 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

That movie is crazy lol. It's so sinister and dark, and man, all throughout it just keeps getting darker and darker. 

A+ movie 

I called the fake Coastie right away.

full

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RPM said:

I called the fake Coastie right away.

full

When that chef brings out the mat and he starts saying why he wanted to be a chef before...I was like, damn. 

I love the humor, especially John Leguizamo. And hell, seeing Judith Light after that 80s show with Tony Danza, she still looks great. The bros were great, too lol. 

Just saw Harold and the Purple Crayon. Best movie I've seen in the theatres this year (which only include Twisters, Despicable Me 4 and Inside Out 2).

I guess there is just something about live action kids movies that are just so much better and funnier than the animation kids movies. I legitimately laughed out loud at different points the entire movie.

It's silly and stupid but wholesome and cute for the younger kiddos.

Oh and edit to add, it's not really ground-breaking or original, but having Zoey Daschenel (who does look a bit aged) cast to deal with the adult-fish-out-of-water was great because it slides you right back into the Elf mindframe. She was built for those roles.

Edited by MinerProphet

Just watched The Beekeeper for the first time last night on Prime, and it was a great movie. I am biased as I like pretty much all Jason Statham movies, but I can admit when his movies are trash. But, Beekeeper was fucking great. 

My only issue with it is the writer when Jeremy Irons tells his crew they're tier 1 operators, and then says "Seal Team Six" instead of their actual name of DEVGRU. Just a minor annoyance, but the fight scenes were fantastic. Plus Josh Hutcherson ad a douche was great! 

Another film I put in the same category as Burn After Reading is The Informant. Didn’t blow me away the first time I saw it but I’ll watch it every time I run across it and enjoy it every time.

Mark Whitacre, Secret Agent 0014. Because he’s twice as smart as 007.

• Haha 1

I've been continuing on my Hitchcock journey.  Enjoying it so far.

Foreign Correspondent - This has been my favorite so far.  It's set at the start of WWII and has a lot of really great twists and turns throughout.  The last scene was particularly interesting as it is basically a call to arms for the US.  We didn't enter for another couple of years, so it is an interesting artifact.  It reminds me a lot of North By Northwest.  It's densely plotted with a wholly unprepared protagonist way over his head, but still stays light with some great humor throughout.  It's on Tubi if you're interested.

Suspicion - Other than Cary Grant doing Cary Grant things, I didn't like this one much.  No one is likable and it's mostly just a long road to nowhere.  Don't see the point of it.

Shadow of A Doubt - This one was fine, but probably could be passed up.  There is some mystery that is interesting, but the main character keeps getting fooled into doing dumb things just to keep the story going.  Joseph Cotton elevates it, but otherwise not worth it.

Lifeboat - This one was great too.  About 8 people end up on a Lifeboat after a U-boat blows up a passenger ship.  The 8 people include one German from the U-boat.  The whole thing takes place on the lifeboat and it doesn't get old, at all.  A lot of questions of morality, survival and sacrifice.  This is probably my favorite so far after Foreign Correspondent and The Lady Vanishes.  Worth the watch.

• Hook 'Em 3

Foreign Correspondent is such a great movie. I'm a big Joel McCrea fan. Lifeboat is excellent and also a fear of mine, so it really hits close to home.

You should check out The 39 Steps. It came out a few years earlier.

Edited by RPM
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, RPM said:

Foreign Correspondent is such a great movie. I'm a big Joel McCray fan. Lifeboat is excellent and also a fear of mine, so it really hits close to home.

You should check out The 39 Steps. It came out a few years earlier.

Yeah, I watched 39 Steps a couple of years go, so I have not included it in this project.  It is really great though.

This Hitchcock guy was pretty good.  Who knew?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Stringer said:

I've been continuing on my Hitchcock journey.  Enjoying it so far.

Foreign Correspondent - This has been my favorite so far.  It's set at the start of WWII and has a lot of really great twists and turns throughout.  The last scene was particularly interesting as it is basically a call to arms for the US.  We didn't enter for another couple of years, so it is an interesting artifact.  It reminds me a lot of North By Northwest.  It's densely plotted with a wholly unprepared protagonist way over his head, but still stays light with some great humor throughout.  It's on Tubi if you're interested.

Suspicion - Other than Cary Grant doing Cary Grant things, I didn't like this one much.  No one is likable and it's mostly just a long road to nowhere.  Don't see the point of it.

Shadow of A Doubt - This one was fine, but probably could be passed up.  There is some mystery that is interesting, but the main character keeps getting fooled into doing dumb things just to keep the story going.  Joseph Cotton elevates it, but otherwise not worth it.

Lifeboat - This one was great too.  About 8 people end up on a Lifeboat after a U-boat blows up a passenger ship.  The 8 people include one German from the U-boat.  The whole thing takes place on the lifeboat and it doesn't get old, at all.  A lot of questions of morality, survival and sacrifice.  This is probably my favorite so far after Foreign Correspondent and The Lady Vanishes.  Worth the watch.

Now you've gone and made me rank the Hitchcock movies I've seen. Plenty I haven't seen, especially from the early years. 

1a/b. Vertigo/Psycho

3. Rebecca

4. Rear Window

5. Notorious

6. The Birds

7. The Man Who Knew Too Much

8. Strangers on a Train

9. NXNW

10. Rope

11. To Catch a Thief

12. Foreign Correspondent

13. The 39 Steps

14. The Lady Vanishes

15. Dial M for Murder

16. Marnie

17. Saboteur

18. Torn Curtain

19. Topaz

20. Trouble with Harry

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I have gone to see it twice. I loved it and want at least 2-3 more with Reynolds and Jackman. Such amazing chemistry. I will probably go again early next week.

I have AMC’s monthly pass and usually get at least two movies a week and sometimes three. There’s always a bunch of foreign films at the AMC on 42nd that are randomly interesting to see.

AMC A-List is an awesome use of $20/month. I get 12 movies, discounts on guest tickets (certain days), points to use, etc. Dolby at Clearfork in Fort Worth is a great screen. Loud as hell for us old fucks that can’t tell what people are saying.

On 8/14/2024 at 8:09 AM, Billy Pilgrim said:

Watched Cuckoo last night. Entertaining movie but really odd. They did a good job building suspense but the premise was kind of ridiculous.

Yeah I saw it Sunday and noticed it and half of the movies in the previews were described as "body horror." Had to google that shit but then again I'm fairly old

On 8/18/2024 at 11:12 PM, wutang75 said:

AMC A-List is an awesome use of $20/month. I get 12 movies, discounts on guest tickets (certain days), points to use, etc. Dolby at Clearfork in Fort Worth is a great screen. Loud as hell for us old fucks that can’t tell what people are saying.

AMC Dolby theaters are tits, better than IMAX imo. Saw the new Alien flick on it last weekend and it looked and sounded incredible. 

Still going on Hitchcock and we are getting to the Stone Cold Classic portion of our program.  I couldn't find Spellbound on streaming or at Video Vortex at Alamo Village, so I had to skip that one.  I'll keep an eye out.

Notorious - I saw this probably 20 years ago, so I wanted to revisit it.  I could be wrong, but I think this is probably the first fully recognized Hitchcock classic.  Putting Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman together gets you a massive head start.  Add in Claude Rains and you are cooking.   Entertaining and tense throughout and the power dynamic changes throughout are a lot of fun.  Cold ass ending too.  Sorry, Sebastian.

Rope - Hitchcock's first color movie is maybe his darkest yet.  A couple of guys kill a classmate just for the entertainment and host a dinner party that night to see how far they can take it.  One is just a sociopath and the other immediately regretting it.  Really great and pitch black set up.  The one shot style was a lot of fun too as the camera just wanders around the single room it takes place in, picking up conversations all over.  Enjoyed this one a lot and Jimmy Stewart is in it to lift things, but too much Farley Granger.  I think he sucks (more on him later).  Definitely worth your 80 minutes though.

Strangers on a Train - Another really dark one with one character being a complete sociopath.  Two men meet on a train and one thinks they're doing a murder swap, but the other doesn't.  How do you extricate yourself from that situation?  Another great set up and it largely delivers.  Having Farley Granger as the protagonist bums me out though. I don't get him at all.

I Confess - I don't think I had even heard of this one before this project, so I can only assume it's one of the least appreciated films.  After watching, I can see why.  I enjoyed it, but it's not essential.  Montgomery Clift is good and the moral question his character works through is interesting (can a priest out a killer who confesses in the church?).  Karl Malden is the best part though.  That guy was a pro.

Dial M For Murder - The new leader in the clubhouse for my favorite on this project (though NXNW will likely remain my favorite Hitchcock).  Almost all of it takes place in one room (like Rope), with long conversations throughout.  You see what happens, but the fun is seeing how the antagonist worms out of it and how he is ultimately caught.  Twisty and turny and a lot of fun.  Plus, first Hitchcock movie with Grace Kelly, who is unbelievably beautiful.  Really enjoyed it.

BONUS 

The Conversation - Saw this earlier today at The Alamo and it could easily be a Hitchcock movie.  Paranoia, femme fatales, betrayals, etc, etc.  It is the Coppola classic I have missed, so I wanted to see it.  It lived up to its' reputation.  Really excellent.  The sound design was very interesting and Hackman in his prime.  I thought the resolution was excellent and unexpected.  Coppola's '72-'74 run is incredible.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Waiting for Guffman. Every scene kills. Christopher Guest should won an Oscar. Corky’s monologue is up there with Belushi’s When The Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor speech. 

Willard is great - as usual. 

"You want me to strike it?"

Saw a Blink Twice tonight. That was a really good movie. Channing Tatum was really good in a bad guy role. I would watch this again. Another movie where there is some obvious outside the box thinking going on. A fun and fast paced movie that had quite the ending.

On 8/14/2024 at 1:05 PM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Now you've gone and made me rank the Hitchcock movies I've seen. Plenty I haven't seen, especially from the early years. 

1a/b. Vertigo/Psycho

3. Rebecca

4. Rear Window

5. Notorious

6. The Birds

7. The Man Who Knew Too Much

8. Strangers on a Train

9. NXNW

10. Rope

11. To Catch a Thief

12. Foreign Correspondent

13. The 39 Steps

14. The Lady Vanishes

15. Dial M for Murder

16. Marnie

17. Saboteur

18. Torn Curtain

19. Topaz

20. Trouble with Harry

Have you not seen North by Northwest? 
Hard to believe it's not on the list. 

On 5/26/2018 at 2:52 AM, UDontKnow said:

I just watched Full Metal Jacket for the first time. I believe I was about 3 years old when the movie came out and for whatever reason, never got around to seeing it. 

If that movie came out today, it would still be a hit. 

What are you? A slimy little communist shit twinkle-toed cocksucker or something?

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

Saw a Blink Twice tonight. That was a really good movie. Channing Tatum was really good in a bad guy role. I would watch this again. Another movie where there is some obvious outside the box thinking going on. A fun and fast paced movie that had quite the ending.

Oh good, the review in Variety was so overwhelming with praise that it was hard to take it as legitimate.  I have a feeling I know where the story goes but regardless it’s cool that Kravitz has got talent behind the camera. 

11 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Oh good, the review in Variety was so overwhelming with praise that it was hard to take it as legitimate.  I have a feeling I know where the story goes but regardless it’s cool that Kravitz has got talent behind the camera. 

I would venture the review you read probably was over the top, but probably not unwarranted. I liked that there was some actual thinking going on while watching this. Sometimes you can figure everything out quickly, but this one had some cool twists that made the story interesting in the end.

Edited by UpperWestside

On 8/23/2024 at 4:34 PM, Stringer said:

The Conversation

Every movie John Cazale was in was nominated or won Best Picture - Godfather, The Conversation, Godfather II, Dog Day Afternoon and The Deer Hunter. Also dated Meryl Streep and died entirely too young. F cancer.

But I'll bet you nerds already knew all this stuff

Passengers popped up on my Prime feed so I watched it. 

Some thoughts:

J-Law is pretty hot I guess. A-

I like stranded type shows like this with a slow burn. Makes me think/fantasize what would do. 

Fishburn’s burn to Pratt when he figures out the plot. “Damn”

zero g swimming pool stressed me out and made me think. 

A lifetime of one by one sex slaves would have been more fun than gardening and basketball. 

8 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Criminal

On prime. Great cast and pacing. One of my favorite Costner  roles by far.

Added to my watch list.  No knowledge of this movie except for the description on prime. 

On 8/23/2024 at 4:34 PM, Stringer said:

The Conversation - Saw this earlier today at The Alamo and it could easily be a Hitchcock movie.  Paranoia, femme fatales, betrayals, etc, etc.  It is the Coppola classic I have missed, so I wanted to see it.  It lived up to its' reputation.  Really excellent.  The sound design was very interesting and Hackman in his prime.  I thought the resolution was excellent and unexpected.  Coppola's '72-'74 run is incredible.

legend has it Hackman's character in the conversation is the younger version of his character in Enemy of the State

17 hours ago, Elvis said:

Passengers popped up on my Prime feed so I watched it. 

Some thoughts:

J-Law is pretty hot I guess. A-

I like stranded type shows like this with a slow burn. Makes me think/fantasize what would do. 

Fishburn’s burn to Pratt when he figures out the plot. “Damn”

zero g swimming pool stressed me out and made me think. 

A lifetime of one by one sex slaves would have been more fun than gardening and basketball. 

How’s that work? Once you get bored you just put em in the airlock?

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Outstanding movie.

If you like Faye Dunaway, and who doesn’t, checkout Thomas Crown Affair and Chinatown.

I liked how she had a different wardrobe on in every scene in the Thomas Crown Affair. Really cool shit too.

OK I'm starting to sound gay at this point

For some reason Mrs. Callo wanted to watch The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, so we did that on Sunday.  Not a great movie, but seeing at least one spaghetti western is probably a good idea.  Unfortunately, I mentioned that it was part of a loose trilogy.  Ended up watching A Fist Full of Dollars and A Few Dollars More on Sunday and Monday night.  

This type of scene happens frequently in these three movies:

spacer.png

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

For some reason Mrs. Callo wanted to watch The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, so we did that on Sunday.  Not a great movie, but seeing at least one spaghetti western is probably a good idea.  Unfortunately, I mentioned that it was part of a loose trilogy.  Ended up watching A Fist Full of Dollars and A Few Dollars More on Sunday and Monday night.  

Frustrated Clint Eastwood GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

spacer.png

Your opinion is bad and you should be ashamed.  It is one of the greatest westerns ever made.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

spacer.png

Mrs. Callo is a smart woman.  Mr. Callo is a bad judge of movies.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On the plane yesterday I watched The Iron Claw. It was a pretty good movie. I had no idea that family had some much tragedy thrown at them. Just a crazy amount for the mother to deal with. I also didn't know that Kerry Von Erich had lost his foot.

I paid attention to wrestling back then but I reckon, not serious attention.

Zac Efron Wrestling GIF by A24

• Like 1

Watched (most of) I Saw The TV Glow on a flight. I almost turned it off when they had a 28 year old actor playing a 14 year old boy, but then I saw why they did it. It wasn’t for me but I see why people like it. Good music. Had a David Lynch vibe. 

I got halfway through Abigail and it was good cheesy fun if you like campy horror. I’ll finish that on Peacock. 

9 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

On the plane yesterday I watched The Iron Claw. It was a pretty good movie. I had no idea that family had some much tragedy thrown at them. Just a crazy amount for the mother to deal with. I also didn't know that Kerry Von Erich had lost his foot.

I paid attention to wrestling back then but I reckon, not serious attention.

Zac Efron Wrestling GIF by A24

Don’t leave us hangin’, bro.  Did he ever find it? 

• Haha 1