Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

19-year old wanted to be Billy Badass. He dead. 

A motorcyclist pointed a gun at the driver of an SUV before the man fatally shot the motorcyclist on a freeway in Fort Worth, according to Fort Worth police.

The motorcyclist, JaDerek Gray, 19, of Bedford, died at a hospital after the shooting on I-35W on Friday afternoon. According to Fort Worth police, the man who shot Gray did so in self-defense after Gray pointed a handgun at him and his children, who were inside the man’s SUV. 

Gray was driving his motorcycle north on I-35 near Heritage Trace Parkway and weaving in and out of traffic, police said. in a news release Tuesday. The man in the SUV started to change lanes without seeing the motorcyclist, and Gray swerved to avoid being hit by the SUV. Gray passed several cars and then stopped in the roadway, halting traffic.

Gray walked back toward the SUV and pointed a handgun at the driver, police said. The driver told him to put down the gun and that he had children in the car. Gray continued to walk toward the driver, police said, and point his gun at the SUV. The driver, fearing for his safety and his children’s safety, got his gun and shot the motorcyclist several times, according to police. 

Officers called to the scene found the handgun that the motorcyclist had at the time of the shooting. Detectives also interviewed several witnesses from the scene, police said.

I love when idiots die. One less for the rest of us. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

RTB, the long-awaited rooftop restaurant with a skyline view from 17 floors above downtown, will open to the public by reservation this weekend.

RTB — “roof top bar” — is open Friday and Saturday nights only atop The Sinclair, Autograph Collection hotel, 412 Main St.

RTB will open at 5 p.m. and serve until 11 p.m. Online reservations are available at Resy.com.

The Sinclair and its lobby and basement steakhouse, Wicked Butcher, opened in January 2020, but the hotel had not opened RTB before the coronavirus pandemic limited bar service.

The bar is opening on Fourth of July weekend but will be open to hotel guests only on July Fourth during the Panther Island fireworks show. (Patrons Saturday night might be able to see other fireworks in the distance,)

The 17th-floor view is the tallest open-air public restaurant and bar in downtown Fort Worth.

(A nearby penthouse bar, Refinery 714 in the Kimpton Harper, 714 Main St., has a view from the enclosed 24th floor.)

spacer.png

That seems awfully fucking hot. Quite the creative name too. 

On 3/26/2021 at 12:34 AM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

I actually emailed Kennedy back in early January for his birria recs because shit was all over my Insta feed, but nothing in FW. He replied right away, said he wasn't on the bandwagon, but this joint is the go-to. 

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100057221058542

Apparently long-ass lines, so plan ahead. Wed-Sat 11a-4p only, bring cash. 

Sweet. 

Calisience, a smash-hit taco truck known for birria tacos and ramen, will open a restaurant in the Race Street shops in Fort Worth, owner Jacqueline Anaya said Tuesday.

Calisience will open this winter at 2707 Race St., a former sports bar. The restaurant will serve the same birria tacos as the truck, 3318 E. Belknap St., but will add a completely new Mexican food menu, Anaya said.

The taco truck will continue its current regular menu and lunch hours Wednesdays through Saturdays, Anaya said.

The new restaurant — the name combines California with Jalisience, meaning from Jalisco — will expand on the dishes that landed the truck in a Texas Monthly columntitled, “Birria Ramen Has Come to Fort Worth, and It is Glorious.” 

Anaya combines her California upbringing with recipes by her Guadalajara grandmother. She said the new Calisience restaurant will add dishes such as mole poblano, with house-made tortillas.

The restaurant will include a bar and will open for lunch and dinner weekdays and Saturdays, she said.

Calisience is a hit because “I stay true to the actual process” and don’t rush cooking, she said.

“Birria has to have a certain amount of spices, a certain amount of cooking time, a certain amount of prep work — I don’t change the recipe.”

She had worked in restaurants but was doing microblading and other makeup services when she opened the truck last year, she said.

“I wanted to be able to cook from home and sell to friends, and that turned into buying a truck,” she said.

The Calisience truck has drawn patrons from Austin, Houston and Corpus Christi, she said.

“I never knew it’d get this big this quick.”

Anyone know why Uber X would be quoting a $44.00 fare from Arlington Heights to T&P Station (4 miles) tomorrow morning at 5:45am?
I don't Uber like I used to but my understanding is that there is still a driver shortage. Try Lyft?
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, fwtxbevo said:

Anyone know why Uber X would be quoting a $44.00 fare from Arlington Heights to T&P Station (4 miles) tomorrow morning at 5:45am?

i stopped using uber in fort worth so i cannot help.  i will say that lyft has been much, much better.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dr Fear said:
1 hour ago, fwtxbevo said:

I don't Uber like I used to but my understanding is that there is still a driver shortage. Try Lyft?

Lyft was $13. Still kind of pricey, but better than $40. I have never used Lyft so didn't even think about them. Thanks for the recommendation.

On 7/7/2021 at 3:07 PM, fwtxbevo said:

Lyft was $13. Still kind of pricey, but better than $40. I have never used Lyft so didn't even think about them. Thanks for the recommendation.

For the 12th largest city in the country to not have reliable public transportation is a joke.  And unless you are willing to chance riding our glorious bus system, you are pretty much screwed.

For the 12th largest city in the country to not have reliable public transportation is a joke.  And unless you are willing to chance riding our glorious bus system, you are pretty much screwed.

But the second (I think?) least dense, only behind Jacksonville who annexed a shot ton of swamps. Makes it really damn difficult to draw up public transportation when population is spread that far out.

12 hours ago, bluto said:

But the second (I think?) least dense, only behind Jacksonville who annexed a shot ton of swamps. Makes it really damn difficult to draw up public transportation when population is spread that far out.

Plus when the priority is building some sort of riverfront attraction like San Antonio, there isn't enough funding for public transportation left over.

FYI

I-20 westbound will be reduced to one lane from Bryant Irvin Road to Winscott Road for construction from 9 p.m. Saturday, July 10, to 6 a.m. Monday, July 12, weather permitting. Various ramp closures may also be necessary. Alternate routes are advised.

https://fortworthbusiness.com/business/roadways-at-i-20-in-southwest-fort-worth-closed-this-weekend/

On 7/8/2021 at 11:02 PM, pch said:

I agree, but a $2.50 train ride to the airport is pretty sweet though.

Here you go @Fudbelty, new joint in your hood. Just east of the stove shop. 

The Nashville hot chicken invasion moves further into Parker County on July 19, when a Dallas bar company will open its second Hot Chicks chicken and “boozy slushies” restaurant in the Shops at Willow Park.

The first Hot Chicks opened in December in Plano, offering chicken sandwiches and tenders in five heat levels along with $8-$17 liquor slushes, including spiked sweet tea, lemonade or Big Red.

The newest Hot Chicks is at 337 Shops Blvd., off Interstate 20 between Aledo and Hudson Oaks.

It’s owned by One Entertainment, which operates the West 7th-area nightclubs Texas Republic, Landmark, The Yard and Playground Bar, along with Cutie Pies Pizza and other bars in Dallas.

Unlike some Nashville or Memphis hot chicken restaurants, Hot Chicks serves a spicy chicken that is not fried in peanut oil, an allergy for many children and adults. The chicken is also dairy-free and halal.

There’s also a grilled chicken option that’s promoted as gluten-free.

Hot Chicks will give away free chicken for a year to the first 10 customers each day July 19-24.

The restaurant is open for lunch and dinner daily.

WTF Ft. Worth?  
"Mi Cocina" is some of the lamest shit I've ever eaten, but, they must have somehow knocked me out and planted a dead skunk up my ass.   Very bland food, but man, the assgas is out of this world. 
I don't remember anyone saying you should go there lol. I'm not a big fan.

Meh.  They were very close to my hotel.  I'm from fucking San Diego, which has the best Mexican food in the US.   I'll humbly ask a Texan for a BBQ recommendation, but y'all don't know jack shit about Mexican food.  I can be in Mexico in an hour, if I'm compelled.

I just ignorantly walked into a restaurant near my hotel.  Well, first off, I walked into a total shithole with "best happy hour anywhere" posted in the window.   The happy hour sucked, the waitress was a vic special, minus the sharpie eyebrows.   "Jakes" I think it was.   

And, whoever recommended the rooftop bar, thanks, but those fucks don't have their shit together just yet.   Great views, but I sat there for 20 mins and nobody took my drink order so I hauled ass.  And that place is very seasonal...it was hotter than fuck up there.