All things Apple, the tech not the fruit

sachick

46 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I was way slow on buying airpods because I hated the Apple earbuds and didn’t think I had a need. My wife got me the airpod max a few years back, and that spiraled into eventually buying the airpod pros as well and now those are in my pocket all the time along with my keys wallet phone etc. Great product. There’s something too about the noise cancelling that is extremely calming for me.

I hate carrying things around. Minimal money wallet with an ID, couple of credit cards. Keys. Phone. Like you, AirPod Pros are now in the mix for about 1/2 of my trips away from home.

If I'm grabbing lunch alone somewhere or shopping in Home Depot, why not keep listening to the podcast that I started in my car. It's probably bad for human interaction to wall myself off from others like that but it's also not like I was chatting everyone up before anyway.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I hate carrying things around. Minimal money wallet with an ID, couple of credit cards. Keys. Phone. Like you, AirPod Pros are now in the mix for about 1/2 of my trips away from home.

If I'm grabbing lunch alone somewhere or shopping in Home Depot, why not keep listening to the podcast that I started in my car. It's probably bad for human interaction to wall myself off from others like that but it's also not like I was chatting everyone up before anyway.

There’s something about being out in public but having the sound off that I love. Having to schlep myself all the way cross O’Hare becomes enjoyable if I’m just moving and looking around and there’s nothing but A Tribe Called Quest in my ears.

3 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Tim Cook has been riding Job’s innovations for his entire CEO tenure. I have spoken. 

I would give Watch and AirPods to Tim and those two products alone could be Fortune 500 companies. Steve left behind a really strong design and user experience culture. But with that said as an employee here, I'm not thrilled with how big this company has gotten. 

Edited by YChang

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yeah but the following speaks to Cook's tenure.

• Oct 2011 (Jobs' passing) market cap: ~$375 billion
  • Sept 2024 market cap: $3,390 billion

A trained monkey could manage the revolutionary products created by Jobs leadership that are responsible for almost all of the revenue and profits of this company. Cook has been a bus driver of one of the greatest sets of product innovations in history.

4 minutes ago, YChang said:

I would give Watch and AirPods to Tim and those two products alone could be Fortune 500 companies. Steve left behind a really strong design and user experience culture. But with that said as an employee here, I'm not thrilled with how big this company has gotten. 

Those products are nothing but derivative products that have decimal points of business impact. Nothing burgers that are wholly dependent upon the iPhone for their success.

Let’s see if his almost meaningless tenure turns around with some sort of revolutionary AI product or something else of significance. He still has some time.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Dbeasy said:

A trained monkey could manage the revolutionary products created by Jobs leadership that are responsible for almost all of the revenue and profits of this company. Cook has been a bus driver of one of the greatest sets of product innovations in history.

Those products are nothing but derivative products that have decimal points of business impact. Nothing burgers that are wholly dependent upon the iPhone for their success.

Let’s see if his almost meaningless tenure turns around with some sort of revolutionary AI product or something else of significance. He still has some time.  

I mean, he's not gonna be a game changer in that sense like Steve. You're right in that sense, he'll never be that. Maybe his successor will be. But who knows, again this company is so huge now some of that type of innovative culture that comes from such a strong willed founder is probably lost forver.

I do think the direction he's set and guiding the watch and aripods toward in health has really huge impacts that moves it past merely "nothing burgers" as you described it. 😄 Plus come on man, it's all about keeping our customers in the ecosystem! 

When thinking about Apple and their AirPod Pro 2 hearing test/hearing aid feature, I give them props that they work to release new features for existing products. It would be easy for them to have added this feature plus a tiny hardware improvement and call it AirPod Pro 3. Other companies do this all the time.
Now I wish Apple Intelligence would work on more older iPhone models but I give them the benefit of the doubt that there is a hardware limitation preventing it.

Apple literally does this all the time. I’m actually surprised with as big as the certified hearing aid feature could be that they *didn’t* release this as an air pod pro 3 only release. They probably had their team of actuaries sit down and assess how many customers and potential customers are ultimately affected by having legit hearing aids and realized they can’t bilk a upgrade cycle out of such a small niche.