2018 - 2019 Dallas Mavericks: Throw Some D's

CBT

If we didn't get screwed in the lottery last year, we wouldn't have had to give up that pick to get Doncic. I'm still pissed about that.

Considering how Trae is playing right now and the prospects of them getting a #6 or #7 pick from us could put them as the winners of the trade. 

If we didn't get screwed in the lottery last year, we wouldn't have had to give up that pick to get Doncic. I'm still pissed about that.
Considering how Trae is playing right now and the prospects of them getting a #6 or #7 pick from us could put them as the winners of the trade. 

It will suck to lose the 6th pick, but Luka may be a generational talent. I don’t mind the risk. Young may end up being great too, who knows. If it makes you feel any better, he’s by far the worst defensive guard in the league, and one of the worst overall.

On 3/5/2019 at 3:37 AM, Bruh Man said:

Also, can someone explain to me why we allowed this to happen? I thought Spalding was showing out in Frisco.

He was waived to make room for the KP trade.  But I'm suprised they didnt bring him back.  I thought he and Kostas were perfect development guys.  

I'm a little disappointed by this. 

9 minutes ago, CBT said:

Our luck, we'd end up there, someone behind us would jump to top 3, bumping us to 6th. 

The only silver lining here is that this draft is about 4 or 5 deep.  It would still sting though.

I bet we trade the pick anyway unless it's 1st overall.

9 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

He was waived to make room for the KP trade.  But I'm suprised they didnt bring him back.  I thought he and Kostas were perfect development guys.  

I think they were at the roster limit once they brought Mejri back. 

This roster is so bad we may end up in the #5 spot without even trying to tank.
Yep. This is what happens when you trade 4 of your 5 starters and the guy you traded for is shut down for the season. He better be worth it when be comes back. Since that trade, this team has been worse than the Suns. So many terrible losses. It's not even that fun to watch aside from Luka. It was really fun to watch before the trade even if we lost. Luka is the only player keeping this roster from being G league level.

I would not care if we lost the rest of our games. Try and get that top 5 pick to make the end of this season worth it at least. But with our luck, we would pick 6 and then Atlanta gets the pick.

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 3:35 AM, Bruh Man said:

Even then it's a push IMO.  Luka looks to be like a transcendent player, while Young is certainly playing worth his pick value, I'm not sure it's going to be worth losing out on Luka depending on who they get with our pick.  If they're picking 6th-7th they may not get a player good enough to offset the loss.

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 3:37 AM, Bruh Man said:

Also, can someone explain to me why we allowed this to happen? I thought Spalding was showing out in Frisco.

I know he was an interesting prospect, but I do not get why Mavs fans have such a hard on for Spalding. He's probably an end of the bench guy.

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 7:00 AM, CBT said:

It will suck to lose the 6th pick, but Luka may be a generational talent. I don’t mind the risk. Young may end up being great too, who knows. If it makes you feel any better, he’s by far the worst defensive guard in the league, and one of the worst overall.

Agreed.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:06 AM, Post Oak said:

I'm not. It was him or Merjji, and the later is great friends with Luka and helping him acclimate to the US.  Sometimes you make your star happy.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:14 AM, fellside said:

The only silver lining here is that this draft is about 4 or 5 deep.  It would still sting though.

I bet we trade the pick anyway unless it's 1st overall.

Yep, if it's not #1 overall(and maybe even still) they're going to use that 2-5 pick as an asset to get a player that's ready now, and fits next to Luka/KP.

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 11:42 AM, threesheets said:

No.

Same

23 hours ago, CBT said:

Lulz.  I was arguing with a Young fan on the Athletic about how Luka is clearly still the ROY despite Young's push late.  He continues to claim that team have to game plan to stop Young and the entire defense is geared to keep him from going off and the opponents don't have to do that to Luka...and then I saw that pic.  Just made me laugh.

Luka looked rough last night. He was questionable going in to the game. It might have been better to sit him.

He still gets the rookie treatment from the refs. Lots of times he got hit hard driving in and there was no call. Wouldn't have mattered since he went 1-9 at FT line.

Brunson balled out with 34 points.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RexWilson said:

Luka looked rough last night. He was questionable going in to the game. It might have been better to sit him.

He still gets the rookie treatment from the refs. Lots of times he got hit hard driving in and there was no call. Wouldn't have mattered since he went 1-9 at FT line.

Brunson balled out with 34 points.

I agree, he probably wasn't anywhere near 100%.  Brunson though, I'd like more of that.

With about a month to go and the possibility of keeping this years pick, I hope Rick adjusts playing time.

Dirk - can play whatever he wants

Luka - I would start to reduce his minutes or sit him some games

Powell - fewer minutes or sit some games

Brunson, Maxi, & Finney Smith - stay as starters, play regular minutes

Hardaway - give lots of minutes with different lineups. Determine his best fit, starter/6th man

Broekhoff, Jackson, Burke, Kostas, & Lee - All need more minutes down the stretch. Lee and Burke will be around next season bc of their contract. Can they contribute? The other guys need the chance to show what they are capable of.

Harris & Mejri - garbage time

• Like 1

I'm okay with reducing Luka's minutes as long as it doesn't cost him winning Rookie of the Year.  The only Mav to win the award ended up in the NBA Hall of Fame.  I also would hate to see the player we gave up for Luka end up winning it, which is the only other realistic possibility.   

5 hours ago, idigTexas said:

I'm okay with reducing Luka's minutes as long as it doesn't cost him winning Rookie of the Year.  The only Mav to win the award ended up in the NBA Hall of Fame.  I also would hate to see the player we gave up for Luka end up winning it, which is the only other realistic possibility.   

Pretty sure he could get hit by a bus and he already has it.  

11 hours ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Ton of fans at Pepsi Center. I know it’s better for the tank, but it hurt to lose that way. 

Nope that was the perfect loss. Winning games at this point means zero. Entertaining losses are good. But this has to be the last year for this. Next year has to be a step forward in getting back to being a contender. Won't happen overnight but improvement is a must.

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Still going to be pretty damn difficult to catch Atlanta.  Likely going to need actually get lucky in the lottery for once.

good news is they play in the east so better chance of playing a few more shitty teams than us. still going to be close.