Earl Campbell being Earl Campbell

Cairn Horn88

This thread is like a reset after spending time in the squalor that is the Deion thread.  Excellent example of two different types of humans.  Earl always gave his Momma credit for raising him right.  I agree.  

Posted (edited)
On 1/21/2024 at 1:14 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

I always grab a pack to go with my brisket

Back before Earl became an Oiler, an ice house  by the shop sold those hot links sold 2/$2 with 2 slices of bread for breakfast. afterwards they were ,1/$2, the seasoning was re-worked, and sold out every day. Original recipe was best. The old greasy, spicy links were the best...ate about a zillion of of those hangover cures.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

My brain always had to recalibrate while watching Earl. I would sit and think there was just no way a human of that size could move so gracefully turn around and a be an absolute battering Ram and deliver so much pain.
Kind of like watching Vince it didn’t look like he was moving fast but his effortless gazelle like gait, passing people up like it was nothing. 

We were all so damn lucky to have them both put on the burnt orange. 
Earl was thunder and lightning all in one package.

Edited by TejasPedro
  • Hook 'Em 5

44 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

That run against the Rams where he just trucks the dude in the chest... Damn!

I believe that was Isiah Robertson

He honestly had a permanent bruise on his chest until the day he passed away

Earl Campbell begins this promotional video on Texas Football using clips from the 1981 season.  Later in video they show highlights of Earl from NFL.

Earl was already gone from Texas in 1981, but there are great highlights from 1981 blOU win, and the Horns 1982 Cotton Bowl victory over Bama.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/19/2024 at 3:12 PM, Funk Doctor Spock said:

You can actually see this man's soul leave his body. 

IMG_9489.jpeg

from wikipedia: 

In 1978, his last year with the Rams, he was credited with 40 tackles, 4 sacks, and 2 fumble recoveries. Robertson returned a fumble 16 yards for a touchdown against the Minnesota Vikings in a Rams 34- 17 victory. He only started 6 of the 13 games he played in, losing his starting job to Bob Brudzinski. Robertson may be best known for a play in the 1978 season, when, while attempting to tackle then-rookie Houston Oilers running back (and NFL Hall Of Famer) Earl Campbell, Robertson was head-butted in the sternum and run over by Campbell on his way down the field against the Rams. The play is often shown as a part of NFL Films highlights; especially those concerning Campbell.

Imagine being one of the best linebackers of your era (6 pro bowls), but being most famous for getting trucked by Earl Campbell. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I read somewhere, but am insufficiently motivated to look for it, that Earl feels bad for Robertson for the ubiquity of that video. He said that Robertson was a good LB and it’s a shame that his name is basically associated with that one play, now. 

1 hour ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I read somewhere, but am insufficiently motivated to look for it, that Earl feels bad for Robertson for the ubiquity of that video. He said that Robertson was a good LB and it’s a shame that his name is basically associated with that one play, now. 

Robertson died in Texas twice