Big 12 TV ratings

joeycovers

Just thought I would put a list out of the 10 most watched games Involving B12 vs B12 teams this year. 

1.Texas vs OU  5.6M FOX

2. TCU @ Texas 2.8M FOX

3. Baylor @ OU 2.7M ABC

4. OU @ TCU 2.4 ABC

5. Baylor @ Texas 1.7 ESPN

6.WVU @ Iowa St 1.3 FS1

7.KST @ WVU 1.24 ESPN

8. TT @ TCU 1.23 ESPN (Thurs)

9. WVU @ TT 1.14 ESPN2

10. Texas @ KST 974K FS1

I will update as the weeks go on.  It's known and clear that Texas/ Ou carry the eyeballs in this conference. WVU seems to be the only other school that can carry its own weight when not attached to them. UT/Ok St game will probably be the 2nd highest rated game of the year because its Prime time ABC. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, joeycovers said:

Just thought I would put a list out of the 10 most watched games Involving B12 vs B12 teams this year. 

1.Texas vs OU  5.6M FOX

2. TCU @ Texas 2.8M FOX

3. Baylor @ OU 2.7M ABC

4. OU @ TCU 2.4 ABC

5. Baylor @ Texas 1.7 ESPN

6.WVU @ Iowa St 1.3 FS1

7.KST @ WVU 1.24 ESPN

8. TT @ TCU 1.23 ESPN (Thurs)

9. WVU @ TT 1.14 ESPN2

10. Texas @ KST 974K FS1

I will update as the weeks go on.  It's known and clear that Texas/ Ou carry the eyeballs in this conference. WVU seems to be the only other school that can carry its own weight when not attached to them. UT/Ok St game will probably be the 2nd highest rated game of the year because its Prime time ABC. 

I don't know, but maybe because they are the three best teams in the conference.

• Like 1

Updated

1.Texas vs OU  5.6M FOX

2. Texas @ Ok ST 3.57 ABC

3. TCU @ Texas 2.8M FOX

4. Baylor @ OU 2.7M ABC

5. OU @ TCU 2.4 ABC

6. KST @ OU 1.98 FOX

7. Baylor @ Texas 1.7 ESPN

8.WVU @ Iowa St 1.3 FS1

9.KST @ WVU 1.24 ESPN

10. TT @ TCU 1.23 ESPN (Thurs)

Edited by joeycovers

7 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

Updated

1.Texas vs OU  5.6M FOX

3. TCU @ Texas 2.8M FOX

4. Baylor @ OU 2.7M ABC

5. OU @ TCU 2.4 ABC

6. KST @ OU 1.98 FOX

8.WVU @ Iowa St 1.3 FS1

9.KST @ WVU 1.24 ESPN

Do you have the top 10 lowest ratings? Like the Baylor/KU game?

42 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

Updated

1.Texas vs OU  5.6M FOX

3. TCU @ Texas 2.8M FOX

4. Baylor @ OU 2.7M ABC

5. OU @ TCU 2.4 ABC

6. KST @ OU 1.98 FOX

8.WVU @ Iowa St 1.3 FS1

9.KST @ WVU 1.24 ESPN

yet the league wants to fuck us over every chance they get. 

• 3 weeks later...

Updated : Big 12 Title game was the 4th most watched game all CFB season .  Monster number. 

1. Texas vs OU B12 Title Game 10.1M ABC

2. OU @ WVU 5.63 ESPN

3.Texas vs OU  5.6M FOX

4. WVU @ Texas 4.4 FOX

5. OK St @ OU 3.9 ABC

6. Texas @ Ok ST 3.57 ABC

7. OU @ TT 3.1 ABC

8. TCU @ Texas 2.8M FOX

9. Baylor @ OU 2.7M ABC

10. Texas @ TT 2.67 FOX

16 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

Updated : Big 12 Title game was the 4th most watched game all CFB season .  Monster number. 

2. OU @ WVU 5.63 ESPN

3.Texas vs OU  5.6M FOX

4. WVU @ Texas 4.4 FOX

5. OK St @ OU 3.9 ABC

7. OU @ TT 3.1 ABC

8. TCU @ Texas 2.8M FOX

9. Baylor @ OU 2.7M ABC

10. Texas @ TT 2.67 FOX

Holy shit we cracked 10m? At 11am? I guess it was a pretty great game. Until the end.

49 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

2. OU @ WVU 5.63 ESPN

3.Texas vs OU  5.6M FOX

4. WVU @ Texas 4.4 FOX

5. OK St @ OU 3.9 ABC

7. OU @ TT 3.1 ABC

8. TCU @ Texas 2.8M FOX

9. Baylor @ OU 2.7M ABC

10. Texas @ TT 2.67 FOX

l am always surprised at how many people don't watch sports. Ten million sounds tiny to me.

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

l am always surprised at how many people don't watch sports. Ten million sounds tiny to me.

I always think that during SB. roughly 100M watch and just over 300M in the USA. 

What on earth are 2/3 of the country doing during that time?

9 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

15 million watch the average generic NFL game. CFB has a rabid fanbase, but its small overall. 

I think you’d have to add the viewers of all the games to see the real difference. There are probably three (... or four... or five) times as many CFB games televised any given weekend than NFL games. 

Edit:  In fact, almost every CFB game is televised if you include live streaming of D-I, D-III, and NAIA games. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
Second guessing myself

33 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I think you’d have to add the viewers of all the games to see the real difference. There are probably three (... or four... or five) times as many CFB games televised any given weekend than NFL games. 

Edit:  In fact, almost every CFB game is televised if you include live streaming of D-I, D-III, and NAIA games. 

Yes, I'd be really interested to see TOTAL viewership of college football vs. NFL, not the per-game numbers.  Maybe by weekend averages or something, Thurs-thru-Mon.

There are so many more colleges, that fans are divided into much smaller groups, compared to the NFL.

1 hour ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

You are down to around a million viewers each by the 10th most watched game and around 100k by the 20th. The bottom games are pulling in barely any viewers at all. 

16 NFL games averaging 15 million blows it away. It would take 15 Auburn-Miss State games to make up 1 NFL game, and that is the 12th most watched game in its week. The viewership drop off below that game is severe as well.  In rivalry week, ratings are higher at the top but even worse than the average week at the bottom. I suppose we could add it up and put this to rest, but ratings reports don't seem to exist for the bottom of CFB. 

1 hour ago, joeycovers said:

1. Sec Title Game

2. Mich @ Bucks

3. Bama @ LSU

The B12's footprint the size of those two.

This part of the reasonn Nebraska left. The numbers were dismal for a husker network. This also why there isn't any intetest in a Big 12 network instead of the LHN. The Footprint IS Texas.

It is good to see that WVU pulled some numbers with their rankings. 

It is good to see that WVU pulled some numbers with their rankings. 

Good teams get more viewers, essentially a percentage increase over their base.

This is why the Big 12 needs Oklahoma and Texas to be good at the same time. Our bases are the biggest so that percentage increase equals more total eyeballs. But considering this conference is still run by chucklefucks intent on destroying a conference that could have been a really fun thing, I don't really give a shit anymore.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

This is why the Big 12 needs Oklahoma and Texas to be good at the same time. Our bases are the biggest so that percentage increase equals more total eyeballs. But considering this conference is still run by chucklefucks intent on destroying a conference that could have been a really fun thing, I don't really give a shit anymore.

To build on this, good teams not only have more interest, but they get better advertising for their games, more market accessibility, and better viewing times.  Well, normally better viewing times, not always with this conference.

10 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

To build on this, good teams not only have more interest, but they get better advertising for their games, more market accessibility, and better viewing times.  Well, normally better viewing times, not always with this conference.

Could be worse, could be in the PAC.

Oh, and for anyone wanting to take a look at NFL ratings, here are some, from the same source (SportsMediaWatch):

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/nfl-tv-ratings-viewership-nbc-cbs-fox-espn-nfln-regular-season-playoffs/

Looks like they're only rating the top game in each time slot, though, so not a direct comparison.

And although Fondren's ~15M viewers for an "average generic" NFL game is an exaggeration, the totals for just the top 7 or so games listed in the link above, definitely comes out over the totals for a week of college football.  I did a quick addition of all the college games (excluding streaming numbers) for rivalry week and it came to ~62M viewers.  The top 4-6 games alone, on an average NFL weekend, exceed that.

Edited by utee94

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

As evidenced by 10 of 10 of the Big 12's highest rated games including Texas and/or OU.

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

Could be worse, could be in the PAC.

Oh, and for anyone wanting to take a look at NFL ratings, here are some, from the same source (SportsMediaWatch):

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/nfl-tv-ratings-viewership-nbc-cbs-fox-espn-nfln-regular-season-playoffs/

Looks like they're only rating the top game in each time slot, though, so not a direct comparison.

And although Fondren's ~15M viewers for an "average generic" NFL game is an exaggeration, the totals for just the top 7 or so games listed in the link above, definitely comes out over the totals for a week of college football.  I did a quick addition of all the college games (excluding streaming numbers) for rivalry week and it came to ~62M viewers.  The top 4-6 games alone, on an average NFL weekend, exceed that.

And Wal-Mart's parking lot is always full

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

You are down to around a million viewers each by the 10th most watched game and around 100k by the 20th. The bottom games are pulling in barely any viewers at all. 

16 NFL games averaging 15 million blows it away. It would take 15 Auburn-Miss State games to make up 1 NFL game, and that is the 12th most watched game in its week. The viewership drop off below that game is severe as well.  In rivalry week, ratings are higher at the top but even worse than the average week at the bottom. I suppose we could add it up and put this to rest, but ratings reports don't seem to exist for the bottom of CFB. 

This is the right answer. Thanks @FondrenRoad.

The difference between the biggest college game ratings wise and the 8th biggest on any given weekend is huge. The difference between the biggest and 8th biggest NFL game ratings wise is marginal.