Cleveland Browns Fire Hue Jackson

Vic Mackey

You act like he's coaching at PissAnt State making mid 6 figures and the NFL would be some huge raise in salary. He's making $25mill over 5 years and that is without any experience before this as a head coach. OU will make sure he is compensated very generously for staying around, especially if he stays on the same track he is so far. How much would Cleveland be willing to pay him? I am pretty sure OU would match that and then some.
You seem like you're unaware that Saban was one of the highest paid coaches when he left LSU. He was making about a million less than a top 5 NFL coach at the time. Just like Riley is now.

The money is good enough for a guy who wants to test himself in the NFL. His salary and success at Oklahoma is irrelevant. It all comes down to whether or not he wants to coach in the NFL and nothing else.

Obviously I don't follow the Browns at all, so is there an article out there that explains why they didn't fire him in the offseason after historically bad results but then chose to fire him in the middle of this season?  Clearly he deserved to be fired but seems odd to have brought him back at all to then fire him after the Browns have at least been semi-competitive so far.

Why?  He's been horrible too and undercutting Hue, which is a Haley staple.  Apparently Al Saunders is rumored to be interim HC and come in and work with Baker.  
Dorsey may end up blowing all the capital Brown built without making the playoffs.  Next hire is crucial but the coaching staff Dorsey foisted upon Jackson was a recipe for disaster.
Exactly. Hue wrote his pink slip when he hired the jackass.

19 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Obviously I don't follow the Browns at all, so is there an article out there that explains why they didn't fire him in the offseason after historically bad results but then chose to fire him in the middle of this season?  Clearly he deserved to be fired but seems odd to have brought him back at all to then fire him after the Browns have at least been semi-competitive so far.

Petty bickering and in-fighting between Jackson and OC Haley.

40 minutes ago, Dewey said:

Not sure I follow the love for Riley, he's done what exactly? As far as I know, Stoops handed him everything, before that he was an oc somewhere.

He's basically the best offensive coach in college football, which probably makes him the 4th or 5th best offensive coach in all of football.

His team is scoring .78 points per play.  The Bama offense everyone loves is at .71.

2 minutes ago, Dewey said:

Hes one of the unqualified imo, yet hes talked about as if hes won and won a lot... on his own merit.

What did Sean McVay ever win before he got hired by the Rams?

I would be thrilled if the Cowboys hired Riley.

Edited by fellside
  • Like 1

LOL, nobody thought Sean McVay was qualified beyond the people that actually knew him.  His couple of years of OC at Washington didn't show any more ready than Riley's HC/OC tenure at OU proves him.  At least not from the outside looking in and after all unless you know them personally that's how we are all judging.  I am not making an argument that he's qualified, but just that qualified has nothing to do with it when you are trying to fill the last placed slot.  Odds are anyone they hire will show to have been unqualified.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

It's a start.  There are 32 head coaching jobs in the NFL, but there aren't 32 qualified individuals to fill them.

If Jason Garrett can hold a head coaching position for going on a decade, then any human being working in football is qualified.

The NFL has a shortage on quality QBs and head coaches.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

LOL, nobody thought Sean McVay was qualified beyond the people that actually knew him.  His couple of years of OC at Washington didn't show any more ready than Riley's HC/OC tenure at OU proves him.  At least not from the outside looking in and after all unless you know them personally that's how we are all judging.  I am not making an argument that he's qualified, but just that qualified has nothing to do with it when you are trying to fill the last placed slot.  Odds are anyone they hire will show to have been unqualified.

I just don't see why Riley would make the move to Cleveland. Are they going to pay him what OU is? I am not sure what Hue was making. But the Browns are a joke of a franchise. They make Dallas seem like the Patriots right now. He would have no real job security there. You go into that toxic environment and suck, they will fire you and go find someone else. Now I could see him being interested in a place like Dallas. Because of the attention you would get constantly you don't get in Cleveland. But I don't even see that happening. I hope it would because everyone in Dallas is sick of Garrett. He is playing 2 decades behind the rest of the league in terms of what we do on offense. Riley at least knows how to run a modern day offense. That is what the NFL is shifting towards.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dewey said:

Sean Mcvay was a proven offensive coordinator in the NFL.

But you said Riley hasn't won anything.  McVay hadn't won anything either.  The year before he became a head coach, McVay's offense was 12th in the NFL.  But the Rams knew he was promising, had potential, and was a bit of a genius.

Your posts make it sound like there is a long line of qualified candidates in the NFL waiting to be hired, yet most new coaches in the NFL last about 2 or 3 years.

Kansas City's OC doesn't call plays.  Rams don't really have an OC.  If someone wants to hire the next offensive genius, they're going to have to look at college ball.

On 10/29/2018 at 11:22 AM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

More money and way, way less work. College coaching now a 24/7/365 job, lose more than 1 game and alumni start up with pitchforks type job

Really?  From what I’ve read NFL is like 16 hours days for months at a time. Spurrier would play golf on a regular basis. No NFL coach has time for that. 

His offense improved every year, he made Cousins a lot of money, the comparisons are not there. Riley was an OC at a mid and then at OU, then inherited Stoops' machine. Yet no one questions his ability to be a good head coach at the next level, in fact, some think it's a given. I'd like to see him try and ou hire Ned Flanders.

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

Really?  From what I’ve read NFL is like 16 hours days for months at a time. Spurrier would play golf on a regular basis. No NFL coach has time for that. 

No fundraising, no parents and especially no recruiting... recruiting is what you do to fill every second you aren't planning at at the next weeks game.

Spurrier was from a different time with success at a blue blood, only to try and win at South Carolina without spending much time recruiting... didn't work

4 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I just don't see why Riley would make the move to Cleveland. Are they going to pay him what OU is? I am not sure what Hue was making. But the Browns are a joke of a franchise. They make Dallas seem like the Patriots right now. He would have no real job security there. You go into that toxic environment and suck, they will fire you and go find someone else. Now I could see him being interested in a place like Dallas. Because of the attention you would get constantly you don't get in Cleveland. But I don't even see that happening. I hope it would because everyone in Dallas is sick of Garrett. He is playing 2 decades behind the rest of the league in terms of what we do on offense. Riley at least knows how to run a modern day offense. That is what the NFL is shifting towards.

Agree he wouldn’t be interested. Just mainly arguing the Browns aren’t getting anyone that’s got some glowing resume. They’d take Riley in a heartbeat 

2 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

No fundraising, no parents and especially no recruiting... recruiting is what you do to fill every second you aren't planning at at the next weeks game.

Spurrier was from a different time with success at a blue blood, only to try and win at South Carolina without spending much time recruiting... didn't work

Florida was a perennial cupcake squad until Spurrier returned to his Alma mater to raise them up to the level of New Money Blue Blood. 

He failed in DC, before returning to the SEC and raising perennial cupcake South Carolina up to perennial ~3rd in the SEC East. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2018 at 12:27 PM, fellside said:

He's basically the best offensive coach in college football, which probably makes him the 4th or 5th best offensive coach in all of football.

His team is scoring .78 points per play.  The Bama offense everyone loves is at .71.

Having two heisman quality quarterbacks in 2 seasons will do that for you. 

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

The fuck is a special assistant to the head coach? Lmao. Just making up positions now. I am guessing Marvin and Hue have ties?

Reminds me of Dwight on The Office. I am the assistant manager! No, you are the assistant to the manager.

That's not it.  Bengals are looking for a sure bet to slow down Baker Mayfield.  Hue has demonstrated that he's the man for the job.

Edited by Hugh G. Rection
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...