Surly kids applying / attending UT

Longhorn94

13 minutes ago, HookEm said:

A turn-row is a strip of land / dirt road at the edge of a field where the tractor turns around. It is off the main road and sometimes has trees around it.  Since it is away from any road (and at night), the odds of anyone driving on it are basically zero.

image.thumb.png.7f0d65fd3addad75198dff4e1170bb96.png

Something tells me that's not "an example", but rather THE example.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/14/2024 at 1:06 PM, DixonHur said:

I started in Aerospace Engineering at UT, but hated it.  My lack of interest, and my partying, led to me failing out.  After I got my shit together in the Navy I came back and got my degree in film.

How exclusive is Moody, specifically for film?  My son has just begun the process.  He's in IB, probably between 6%-9% in his class, extremely high test scores.  My wife is in full panic because we had been going by the 10% rule, which he's safely under.  I was unaware UT had its own 6% rule.  From what I heard on the tour we took Friday, he'd be SOL per some of the schools (specifically Cockrell).

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

How exclusive is Moody, specifically for film?  My son has just begun the process.  He's in IB, probably between 6%-9% in his class, extremely high test scores.  My wife is in full panic because we had been going by the 10% rule, which he's safely under.  I was unaware UT had its own 6% rule.  From what I heard on the tour we took Friday, he'd be SOL per some of the schools (specifically Cockrell).

This prompts a question.  For those Colleges more competitive than liberal arts/general admission at "top 6%," is it just a higher class standing that's required or a more holistic application review, like demonstrated competence and interest?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

This prompts a question.  For those Colleges more competitive than liberal arts/general admission at "top 6%," is it just a higher class standing that's required or a more holistic application review, like demonstrated competence and interest?

You're hitting on something stated multiple times during our tour.  And I'm guessing it had to do with the affirmative action ruling.  That is, a more holistic approach to admissions.  We were told not to f up the essay as it's more important than just another checked box these days.  This probably allows for more wiggle room.  We were even told not use teachers for the LORs as most just make generic statements and are somewhat impersonal.  All this plays a bigger role than I would have imagined.

4 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

You're hitting on something stated multiple times during our tour.  And I'm guessing it had to do with the affirmative action ruling.  That is, a more holistic approach to admissions.  We were told not to f up the essay as it's more important than just another checked box these days.  This probably allows for more wiggle room.  We were even told not use teachers for the LORs as most just make generic statements and are somewhat impersonal.  All this plays a bigger role than I would have imagined.

Yeah, it's extremely clear that the top X% rule is geared toward admitting economically and socially/racially disadvantaged kids without ever having to examine their economic or racial conditions.

Admission to the School of Architecture has always been more difficult than the University at large, even when it was X class rank or Y SAT or Z ACT score.  Despite briefly considering architecture, I've never known what the standards were.

8 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's a holistic review.  Not just class rank.  I mean, it's a holistic review to get your major in liberal arts even if you are auto-admit.  Spend a lot of time on the essays. 

Edited by dcbc

5 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Having work experience in or somewhat adjacent to your field of study. Don’t sleep on it.