Surly kids applying / attending UT

Longhorn94

13 minutes ago, HookEm said:

A turn-row is a strip of land / dirt road at the edge of a field where the tractor turns around. It is off the main road and sometimes has trees around it.  Since it is away from any road (and at night), the odds of anyone driving on it are basically zero.

image.thumb.png.7f0d65fd3addad75198dff4e1170bb96.png

Something tells me that's not "an example", but rather THE example.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/14/2024 at 1:06 PM, DixonHur said:

I started in Aerospace Engineering at UT, but hated it.  My lack of interest, and my partying, led to me failing out.  After I got my shit together in the Navy I came back and got my degree in film.

How exclusive is Moody, specifically for film?  My son has just begun the process.  He's in IB, probably between 6%-9% in his class, extremely high test scores.  My wife is in full panic because we had been going by the 10% rule, which he's safely under.  I was unaware UT had its own 6% rule.  From what I heard on the tour we took Friday, he'd be SOL per some of the schools (specifically Cockrell).

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

How exclusive is Moody, specifically for film?  My son has just begun the process.  He's in IB, probably between 6%-9% in his class, extremely high test scores.  My wife is in full panic because we had been going by the 10% rule, which he's safely under.  I was unaware UT had its own 6% rule.  From what I heard on the tour we took Friday, he'd be SOL per some of the schools (specifically Cockrell).

This prompts a question.  For those Colleges more competitive than liberal arts/general admission at "top 6%," is it just a higher class standing that's required or a more holistic application review, like demonstrated competence and interest?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

look at other schools if he wants an engineering degree ?

He doesn't.  I know engineering is difficult; however, I think I meant to write "architecture" as it pertains to what I host said.  He wants to do film.

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

This prompts a question.  For those Colleges more competitive than liberal arts/general admission at "top 6%," is it just a higher class standing that's required or a more holistic application review, like demonstrated competence and interest?

You're hitting on something stated multiple times during our tour.  And I'm guessing it had to do with the affirmative action ruling.  That is, a more holistic approach to admissions.  We were told not to f up the essay as it's more important than just another checked box these days.  This probably allows for more wiggle room.  We were even told not use teachers for the LORs as most just make generic statements and are somewhat impersonal.  All this plays a bigger role than I would have imagined.

4 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

You're hitting on something stated multiple times during our tour.  And I'm guessing it had to do with the affirmative action ruling.  That is, a more holistic approach to admissions.  We were told not to f up the essay as it's more important than just another checked box these days.  This probably allows for more wiggle room.  We were even told not use teachers for the LORs as most just make generic statements and are somewhat impersonal.  All this plays a bigger role than I would have imagined.

Yeah, it's extremely clear that the top X% rule is geared toward admitting economically and socially/racially disadvantaged kids without ever having to examine their economic or racial conditions.

Admission to the School of Architecture has always been more difficult than the University at large, even when it was X class rank or Y SAT or Z ACT score.  Despite briefly considering architecture, I've never known what the standards were.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's a holistic review.  Not just class rank.  I mean, it's a holistic review to get your major in liberal arts even if you are auto-admit.  Spend a lot of time on the essays. 

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Having work experience in or somewhat adjacent to your field of study. Don’t sleep on it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/30/2024 at 6:24 PM, Dennis Taylor said:

I was going to be an engineer if it wasn't for math and science 

Similar story.  Chose my major and was accepted to McCombs early.  I wanted to be rich, carry a brief case, and drive a Beamer.  My senior year in high school, I prepared by taking AP economics (yes, I know it's natural science at UT), statistics, and speech.  I SUCKED at all three.  Got to UT/McCombs, then never took a single class related to a business degree.  Obviously, a waste of time in retrospect, but I learned from it.

On 6/30/2024 at 9:53 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Admission to the School of Architecture has always been more difficult than the University at large, even when it was X class rank or Y SAT or Z ACT score.  Despite briefly considering architecture, I've never known what the standards were.

I meant to type "architecture" in my post above.  During the tour, the girl stated that architecture was extremely difficult due to the low numbers accepted.

Last kid is Rising senior . Applying to aerospace engineering in fall for 2025. Top 2%. 34 ACT. Well known good high school. Total Class of 1170. Decent extras and demonstrated interest in major in high school through extensive research projects etc. I am alum as are his two older brothers? I’m sure that doesn’t matter. He got a chance ? Applying to Michigan , Purdue , auburn , Washington , Clemson and UC Boulder . Colorado is first backup choice.

I’m ready for this to end. Hook em .

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, txduck87 said:

Last kid is Rising senior . Applying to aerospace engineering in fall for 2025. Top 2%. 34 ACT. Well known good high school. Total Class of 1170. Decent extras and demonstrated interest in major in high school through extensive research projects etc. I am alum as are his two older brothers? I’m sure that doesn’t matter. He got a chance ? Applying to Michigan , Purdue , auburn , Washington , Clemson and UC Boulder . Colorado is first backup choice.

I’m ready for this to end. Hook em .

Purdue Engineering is pretty much 2nd to none. Good luck man 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, txduck87 said:

I doubt the legacy ties matter.  Regarding UT Engineering, I've seen kids with better numbers not get in, and kids with worse numbers get in.  I'm inclined to believe he'll be admitted to at least one of those better schools -- UT, Michigan, UDub, Purdue.  I'm not sure I'd go with Boulder as a backup, although they do have some local connections in aerospace (my cousin did his PhD there in aerospace and is still in the area all these years later).  No interest in schools like Illinois, GaTech, Wisconsin?

I doubt the legacy ties matter.  Regarding UT Engineering, I've seen kids with better numbers not get in, and kids with worse numbers get in.  I'm inclined to believe he'll be admitted to at least one of those better schools -- UT, Michigan, UDub, Purdue.  I'm not sure I'd go with Boulder as a backup, although they do have some local connections in aerospace (my cousin did his PhD there in aerospace and is still in the area all these years later).  No interest in schools like Illinois, GaTech, Wisconsin?

Yeah. He just really loves Boulder campus. Skiing etc. know he can probably get into a “better” program but that’s his thought. UW also in the mix at #3. He’s also been to that campus and obviously loved it.

Haven’t had wisky or Illinois on the radar. Maybe he should. No interest in Georgia tech. His older brother got accepted there but chose the 40 acres.

We are assuming Auburn is a slam dunk for the ultimate safety school. Have a buddy who’s kid went there for aerospace and he landed at NASA. Hook em.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, txduck87 said:

Yeah. He just really loves Boulder campus. Skiing etc. know he can probably get into a “better” program but that’s his thought. UW also in the mix at #3. He’s also been to that campus and obviously loved it.

I have a son going to UDub this Fall. It is a beautiful campus.

skiiing: Mt. Ranier - 2 hours away, Whistler - 4 hrs away.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, txduck87 said:

We are assuming Auburn is a slam dunk for the ultimate safety school. Have a buddy who’s kid went there for aerospace and he landed at NASA. Hook em.

Not a bad plan.  I don't know how good their program is, but proximity to Huntsville AL can't hurt.

• Like 1

Does he have an idea where he wants to work once he finishes? All those schools are going to be recruited by the major aerospace companies, but if there a specific company or program they want to work at, may want to pick one that has a close relationship with the school already.

• Like 1

Does he have an idea where he wants to work once he finishes? All those schools are going to be recruited by the major aerospace companies, but if there a specific company or program they want to work at, may want to pick one that has a close relationship with the school already.

Good advice but he really doesn’t have any real target companies yet. Good news today as final junior rankings came out and he is top 1% now.

We shall see. Ready for it to be over. Last one of 3 kids to do this! He will land at a place that is good for him regardless.

• 5 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, orange dream said:

Are there still any dorms without A/C at Texas?

I can't imagine that there are.  That's more of a TDCJ feature.

Edited by dcbc
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Last summer, my kid did Boys State and stayed in a dorm with no A/C. Needless to say, UT dropped considerably on his list after that. 

Which dorm?

17 minutes ago, orange dream said:

Love the Toy Story pics, btw.

Thanks.  I've been threatening to do that for months.  Once I took the picture and went inside, it all started to hit me.  I got choked up, and now I can't get that Randy Newman song out of my head.  

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

No idea. I’ve slept and consumed a lot of beer since then. 

According to Reddit, all dorms have A/C, but not all dorm rooms have individual thermostats and performance can be sporadic.  In any event, we packed him a big, vertical fan.

Edited by dcbc

1 minute ago, dcbc said:

Thanks.  I've been threatening to do that for months.  Once I took the picture and went inside, it all started to hit me.  I got choked up, and now I can't get that Randy Newman song out of my head.  

When we took my son to the airport when he shipped off to school, my daughter started bawling. That got me going. I’m thinking when it’s time for her to leave, I’m getting her an Uber to the airport. There will be a scene if I can’t figure out how to keep it in and I don’t want to wind up in airport jail. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 minute ago, dcbc said:

According to Reddit, all dorms have A/C, but not all dorm rooms have individual thermostats and performance can be sporadic.  In any event, we packed him a big, vertical fan.

Well if Reddit says so then I guess he just imagined it all. All I know is it was over 105 every day he was there and he was totally miserable. This is a kid that has never minded the blast furnace until then. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My initial dorm assignment was in Brackenridge (no A/C) with a waitlist for Moore-Hill (that thankfully came through).

Even then it was a whipping, I can't imagine any kids putting up with that now.  Hell, @Fudge Nuggets kid is moving out of state just because he didn't have his own thermostat. 🤣

Edited by orange dream

57 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Shit, I don't even know you and your kid (though you seem like a pleasant chap on the internets), and I got a bit of a reaction at those pics.  Maybe because my oldest is leaving for college in a few weeks, and maybe because I didn't think of this photo op first.

• Hook 'Em 2

For those going out of state to a state school especially, make sure you and your kid are prepared for some hard times at the beginning no matter how independent they were/are. Oldest started two weeks ago and that first week or so was tough. She knew 2 other people on campus going in and was getting bombarded with things from her friends showing them in big groups together and having fun. There were more than a few times of rethinking her choices in life. She got through rush, classes started, and she remembered why she went there and it has gotten much better.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brew said:

For those going out of state to a state school especially, make sure you and your kid are prepared for some hard times at the beginning no matter how independent they were/are. Oldest started two weeks ago and that first week or so was tough. She knew 2 other people on campus going in and was getting bombarded with things from her friends showing them in big groups together and having fun. There were more than a few times of rethinking her choices in life. She got through rush, classes started, and she remembered why she went there and it has gotten much better.

It can certainly be a big transition out of state or not.  My youngest lettered in three sports all four years of high school and was friends with everyone.  She decided not to run or play soccer in college and found it is difficult to really get to know people.  Unlike when I was in school were everyone left their dorm room open, kids go to the room and close the door.  She'd have acquaintances in classes, but once the class was over they'd all go their separate ways.  My advice to her was to join a spirit organization - you'll meet people, go to games, dive into the campus culture, and the spirit people are always having fun.  She did that her second semester and has been having a blast since.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Yes, my biggest surprise when my oldest went to college was how she basically didn't know anyone on her dorm wing / floor, etc. 

Ultimately, I think the reason for the change from when we (70s / 80s / early 90s era students) were in the dorms is that most every dorm was single sex and people just left their doors open and there was near constant interaction with people walking by, etc.  Walking down the hall saying, " I'm going to the cafeteria / rec center / drag, etc. anybody want to join?" was a daily occurrence. 

Now, with most dorms being co-ed people don't leave their doors open and almost none of the kinds of spontaneous interaction mentioned above occurs.  It took a few weeks for the oldest to find her people, it worked itself out but the first few weeks were a bit more isolating than I had expected.

• Hook 'Em 1

My, now graduated, daughters had to deal with this shit. The youngest was chased a few times, once at night on campus and a two other times at night through West Campus. Amazing that new students, especially females, still have to deal with this bullshit. Good luck and may nothing worst than getting scared happens to your kids.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/education/university-of-texas/ut-austin-sorority-recruitment-homeless/269-6016ac7f-4505-4d76-9722-3f1ff17d7e9e

On Wednesday, the UT Austin Police Department (UTPD) sent out an advisory saying that with sorority and fraternity recruitment underway, the department has been seeing an increase in incidents with the unhoused population acting inappropriately or suspiciously.

SafeHorns, an organization dedicated to advocating for safety in West Campus, also said every year, sorority recruitment tends to bring a lot more unhoused people to the area.

“Unfortunately, now that we have a lot of female students coming to participate in recruitment for Greek life, they know and they see the girls walking about,” said Joell McNew, the president of SafeHorns.

This year, SafeHorns said starting on Wednesday, they have already been hearing from potential new sorority members – also called PNMs – who say they have witnessed lewd behavior, been harassed and even been chased by unhoused people as they were walking to the sorority houses.

“It’s disgusting," McNew said. "It shouldn’t be the norm, and we shouldn’t be desensitized to that."

UT sophomore Alexandra Skinner is one of the young women who has already had an experience like this.

“We were walking by, and he was across the street, you know, and he just started yelling at us as we were walking by,” Skinner said. “We’re walking alone and stuff, so it’s scary.”

The layout of UT’s sorority houses throughout West Campus also presents an extra safety challenge compared to other schools, where all the sorority and fraternity houses are on one street or row.

“They are very spread out,” McNew said. “The PNMs, potential new members, [are] navigating their way, trying to find, you know, these different locations and [they] may not be familiar with Austin.”

During sorority recruitment, PNMs will get called back to different houses and may have different schedules than their friends or roommates – meaning that many times, they'll have to walk around West Campus alone.

As a sophomore, Skinner said she is already familiar with the unhoused population in West Campus, but she does have some concerns about walking around alone late at night.

“I do have a house that ends at 9 [p.m.] today, so I’m going to be out late tonight," she said. "So it is something that is a bit of a concern."

In its advisory, UTPD said it has added extra officers and West Campus Ambassadors to patrol the area during this time.

Austin moms started carpooling girls for rush parties because it's so bad. One group of girls had to duck into a random house because some homeless asshole was chasing them and yelling at them. 

• Rage+1 1

On 8/22/2024 at 10:35 AM, Fudge Nuggets said:

Well if Reddit says so then I guess he just imagined it all.

Sorry.  I didn't mean it that way.  I was just sort of in disbelief and googled it. 

At any rate, I was glad to discover that my kid's dorm did, in fact, have a/c, even if it was having trouble keeping up in the 105 degree heat during move in.  Sorry for all of the people living in dorms without a/c in this bullshit heat.

And for what it's worth, the various UT reddits have answered a lot of questions in what seems to be an unnecessarily complicated process of getting everything set up for our son to get moved in.  The parking permit alone seems like it shouldn't be as complicated as it is.

Edited by dcbc

On 8/22/2024 at 11:09 AM, yoladu said:

i can personally confirm that Prather Hall did not have A/C in the late 80s.

As of yesterday at lunch, I can confirm that The Tavern still has a/c.

On 8/22/2024 at 11:32 AM, South Austin said:

Shit, I don't even know you and your kid (though you seem like a pleasant chap on the internets), and I got a bit of a reaction at those pics.  Maybe because my oldest is leaving for college in a few weeks, and maybe because I didn't think of this photo op first.

I am, indeed a pleasant chap. 

As it turns out, those were the only tears we shed.  We got in the car to leave.  I looked at my wife and waited for the water works.  Instead, she looked at me and said, "He's ready.  He's going to do great.  I'm not sad."  Then, we got home, were taking care of his little brother who managed to get a stomach bug while we were gone, and the house definitely felt emptier.  I made a quick trip to the store and only bought a half-gallon of milk and a dozen eggs, whereas in the past, 3 gallons and 72 eggs were the weekly allotment.  It's the little things that really have been tugging at the old heart-strings in the near-term since he's been gone.

The disassociation between students is real.  My son hasn't had much problem, but my daughter has struggled.  Between school, her band and her job she just doesn't meet anyone new, at least in the school environment.  I enjoy watching her succeed, but I wish she had gotten the same college experience I had.  Ain't happening.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 8/23/2024 at 2:16 PM, Cap33 said:

Austin moms started carpooling girls for rush parties because it's so bad. One group of girls had to duck into a random house because some homeless asshole was chasing them and yelling at them. 

This is one place where I will say UGA did it right. The entire rush process was run from their student center. You went there every morning and then everyone was taken by bus to the houses they were visiting that day. The entire rush process ran that way until after bid day was complete. They also grouped everyone by floor the first couple of days, so even if you didn’t all visit the same houses round one you were with at least some others on the floor at each house. Their houses are off campus although no more than a mile, but it kept 2000 17/18 year old girls from wandering through neighborhoods while they learned where to go.

3 hours ago, Brew said:

This is one place where I will say UGA did it right. The entire rush process was run from their student center. You went there every morning and then everyone was taken by bus to the houses they were visiting that day. The entire rush process ran that way until after bid day was complete. They also grouped everyone by floor the first couple of days, so even if you didn’t all visit the same houses round one you were with at least some others on the floor at each house. Their houses are off campus although no more than a mile, but it kept 2000 17/18 year old girls from wandering through neighborhoods while they learned where to go.

Yeah, driving through West Campus yesterday was serious business.  I expect to get some sort of driving award for the amount of cross-walk yielding I did.  One lapse moment and you'd probably run over a sorority-rushee on her phone, possibly in tears.  I was intent on not running someone over by accident yesterday.  Plus, it's 103 outside.  I saw one girl walking with an electric fan.  She wasn't messing around.

Also, I'm happy to report that Treehouse Apartments still are standing.  Loved that place.  In fact, I'd be willing to say that San Pedro Street looks almost exactly the same as it did in the 90s.

Edited by dcbc

1 minute ago, dcbc said:

Yeah, driving through West Campus yesterday was serious business.  I expect to get some sort of driving award for the amount of cross-walk yielding I did.  One lapse moment and you'd probably run over a sorority-rushee on her phone, possibly in tears.  I was intent on not running someone over by accident yesterday.  Plus, it's 103 outside.  I saw one girl walking with an electric fan.  She wasn't messing around.

I'm right there with you.  Both of my kids lived in West Campus apartments (and have ironically now rented absolute shacks next door to each other north of campus).  The level of inattention by pedestrians is terrifying, amplified by scooter riders not paying attention at 15 mph.  Oh, and then there are the football players driving Lambos.  It's fucking nuts.