Surly kids applying / attending UT

Longhorn94

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Oh, and then there are the football players driving Lambos.

The suspension on a Lamborghini driving on West Campus would be shot after a week.  Those roads are brutal.  I remember having to get an alignment on my car at least once per semester when I lived there.  If anything, they seem worse now.

2 minutes ago, dcbc said:

The suspension on a Lamborghini driving on West Campus would be shot after a week.  Those roads are brutal.  I remember having to get an alignment on my car at least once per semester when I lived there.  If anything, they seem worse now.

You are correct.  I hit a pothole on 25th (?) headed down towards Lamar that took out the remaining vestiges of a once good tire.  Yeah, I should have replaced it prior, sue me.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, dcbc said:

@jimmyjazz You mentioned your daughter was having a less-than-stellar social circle at this point of her college experience.  Did she start in Austin.  I know you've mentioned your son did the CAP program in Tyler. 

No, she did CAP as well, via UTSA.  But, that was the covid year so it was all online.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Rage rep emoticon insufficient.  This is fucking nuts.

Transfer your kids to some small town where academics take a huge back seat to sports and small town politics. They won’t be prepared for UT but there’s a good chance to get into the top 5%.

That’s one percent more kids that get punished for going to Colleyville, Westlake, Alamo Heights, etc.

1 hour ago, Newdoc said:

Transfer your kids to some small town where academics take a huge back seat to sports and small town politics. They won’t be prepared for UT but there’s a good chance to get into the top 5%.

That’s one percent more kids that get punished for going to Colleyville, Westlake, Alamo Heights, etc.

I have two at UT right now.  Both through CAP.  The older one just missed top 6%, and she's crushing it.  The younger one was NOWHERE NEAR top 6% but somehow still got CAPed.  He's doing fine.  There won't be a "Summa" on his diploma, but he'll graduate.  It's insane how hard it is to get into UT from higher-performing Austin (and other) high schools.  I'm sorry, but it sells the university short.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, swraith said:

Is top 5% at Anderson, Austin, Bowie, and McCallum about the same?  I assume top 5% at LASA is a whole different discussion.

I know McCallum gains some transfers from LASA every year that didn't make the top 6% after their sophomore year.  They transfer back to their home school to game the system. I'm sure that happens at Anderson and Austin also.

6 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I know McCallum gains some transfers from LASA every year that didn't make the top 6% after their sophomore year.  They transfer back to their home school to game the system. I'm sure that happens at Anderson and Austin also.

Is that a thing? Doesn't that punish a hardworking kid who has been busting his ass, but is teetering on 5%, in his home school?

On 9/17/2024 at 9:13 AM, swraith said:

Is top 5% at Anderson, Austin, Bowie, and McCallum about the same?  I assume top 5% at LASA is a whole different discussion.

I have no hard data, but I would imagine Anderson kids score a bit better on tests.  It's a really good school, and the IB program is pretty rigorous.

20 hours ago, yoladu said:

Is that a thing? Doesn't that punish a hardworking kid who has been busting his ass, but is teetering on 5%, in his home school?

Well, yeah, but I don't think that's a big concern for them.  Another issue is kids dropping out their senior year, shrinking their class size.  A lot of that might happen after the point where changes in rank don't matter.

On 9/17/2024 at 11:44 AM, GreenspointTexas said:

Thank god my kids are going to a meh, inner city high school

Surrounding yourself with low performers and mouth breathers has always been the secret to my success.  It's also why I post here.

• Haha 1

Honestly, being zoned for a meh high school and not moving might be one of the smarter things we have done. Oldest 2 were auto admit. Such a nice feeling to have that safety net. Oldest didn't end up going because he didn't get into McCombs, but is crushing it at a private school out of state. Ok, maybe a little under-prepared in math but I can blame covid.

• Hook 'Em 1