Tex Mex

blacklab

On 7/24/2023 at 1:10 PM, Spoosner said:

Que Divino opened up in NW Hills on Greystone near Mopac. It's very relevant to my geographic location as we're less than 5 minutes away.

They just opened and seem to be going with a quiet/soft approach to work out the kinks. Google still says "Opens July", and when my wife called the person that answered the phone just said "Hello" such that she wasn't sure if she had the right number. He was very nice after that, but when asked about closing time it was "6 or 7".

My FIL and SisterIL took my kids last night as my wife and I had plans. They said very friendly and the food definitely has potential, but it wasn't great. Some of it came out cold, carne guisada gravy was very thin, but flavors were there. 

Curious if anybody else has been. I'll post an update when I try it out.

Revisiting this because we decided to give it another try this past Saturday evening after seeing reviews are trending positive.

We got queso and guac to start. Queso had good flavor, and my only complaint was the temperature could've been hotter. The guac tasted nice and fresh, but could've used some spice. We didn't mind because that meant our kids were able to eat it.

My wife and I split the taco sampler. The birria and campechano tacos were stand outs. The Al Pastor was good, but not great. Did not like the charro beans we got as the side.

Kids' plates looked good, and I ate most of their rice because it was tasty.

I wasn't a big fan of my mexican martini because it was heavy on the olives for my taste (couldn't complain because I did order a martini), but enjoyed my wife's platinum margarita.

All that to say, we enjoyed our meal overall and would say it's worth a try. Service was very fast and friendly. I think figuring out the right order could take it up a notch. Their breakfast looks good as well.

Hoping this place continues to improve given its proximity to us.

• Hook 'Em 1

jewboy cantina in the back of hole in the wall is good. fairly cheap too. 

queso- a bit thick but good flavor. 

mini tacos- these are basically jack in the box fried tacos but delicious

burrito- wanted the relleno burrito but they were out. got the green chile pork. flavor was good but too much potato and not enough meat. decently spicy. 

brisket nachos- excellent. super thick chips that didn't get soggy and held up to the weight of the brisket. they were individual nachos, not a giant pile with shit on top. 

they recommended the breakfast tacos but eggs didn't sound particularly appealing at the time. 

• 1 month later...

I have to go to a family thing at Matt's El Rancho tonight.  Any recs?  (Other than "don't go to Matt's El Rancho"?)

I guess a bowl of Bob is in play.  Enchilada recs?  Taco recs?  Other?  It's been years.

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I have to go to a family thing at Matt's El Rancho tonight.  Any recs?  (Other than "don't go to Matt's El Rancho"?)

I guess a bowl of Bob is in play.  Enchilada recs?  Taco recs?  Other?  It's been years.

We went there 2 days ago.   I had the al pastor tacos.   I'd do it again. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

The best thing at Matt's - by far and away - are the asadero tacos. The next best thing is the chicken fried steak cowboy style (I think that's what it's called. It comes with chili gravy on the top). I wouldn't fuck with enchiladas or traditional tex mex stuff there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

The best thing at Matt's - by far and away - are the asadero tacos. The next best thing is the chicken fried steak cowboy style (I think that's what it's called. It comes with chili gravy on the top). I wouldn't fuck with enchiladas or traditional tex mex stuff there. 

Mmmm.  CFS.  That's rising to the top of the ticket, so to speak.

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Brisket tacos, asadero tacos, tacos al pastor, tacos al carbon all very good. Fajitas are good. 

The charro beans are good as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

Oh . . . I winged it.  Had the chicken fried steak chicken.  It was good, not great.  Didn't like the fries, though.  Waterloo is better on both counts.  I guess that's not the highest bar to clear, but whatever, it got us out of the house and was a surprisingly painless family experience.

• 1 month later...