Pizza

blacklab

20 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Seems like a weird post to get neg repped on.  I like that place, particularly back when I used to enjoy beer.  Great pies  But that charging station seems like a weird capital expense considering the whole thing is gonna be leveled in less than 24 months.  Like buying a new charger for a phone you plan to upgrade next month with a different adapter.

Fun fact, Pat Oles who is redeveloping that whole site is a Texas-Ex.  And his cousin, who obviously looks nothing like him, is Giancarlo Esposito (aka Gus Fring).    

Brewing not south Lamar 

On 5/24/2024 at 12:27 PM, Wally Pryor said:

Was reminded yesterday of the goodness that is Giovanni's on Lamar and Barton Skyway. It's tucked away inside the Food Mart there. Hadn't been there in some time but still so good.

Run by the chef at the old Mezzaluna downtown. 

On 5/24/2024 at 1:01 PM, jimmyjazz said:

That's a blast from the past.  I used to go to Mezzaluna quite a bit.  Not the greatest Italian food in history, but among the best in Austin at the time.  Definite late-80's early-90's vibe, though.

Mezzaluna was mine and my wife’s favorite restaurant back in the day. The had some Gorgonzola pasta dish that we both thought was great. Even made a point to go the weekend they closed for one last meal. My wife saved half her meal to take home and enjoy the next day, and subsequently dropped the box on the sidewalk leaving the place. Those frozen Bellinis did her in lol.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, utee94 said:

Conan's still my absolute favorite pizza in Austin.  Long live the Savage on Whole Wheat!

I'm a staunch supporter of conans, but be aware that if you place an order for delivery, they have a a $4 delivery fee.  I found out the hard way.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2024 at 5:24 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

I've never had it, so this is a legitimate question. Why does everyone prefer the whole wheat crust there? 

It's grainy and tastes better.  Pretty sure all the pizzas by the slice served at lunch are on whole wheat. 

Not for everybody, but def the local, OG way to go.  

They are correct above.  Perfect Conans order is salad with ranch, deep dish savage on whole wheat, with anchioveys and japs and a pitcher of beer.  Plus some change to play arcade games while you wait. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/19/2024 at 5:24 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

I've never had it, so this is a legitimate question. Why does everyone prefer the whole wheat crust there? 

Because we are trying to be healthy.

• Haha 1