Active Measures, Disinfo, Propaganda

Grandioso

50 minutes ago, pacman said:

No surprise where Waters and Fox News stand...

Screenshot_20240904_210950_X.jpg

if they didn’t know anything, they shouldn’t be worried about the DoJ checking all their cell phones, emails, chat accounts, and all their spouses electronic devices 

no worries for them 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

The new DOJ charging documents raise a curious question: DOJ charges two lower-level employees of a Russian front company, but despite providing chapter and verse about the complicity of the two "Founders" of that company, the Founders are not charged. My Suspicion (based on my prior DOJ experience): the Founders were charged a while ago, under seal, and flipped, i.e. are cooperating with the USG.

• Hook 'Em 5

I also would place money that the American owners of Tenet are already singing, it’s all fun and games till the FBI shows your “what time in Moscow” google search while waiting for a paycheck. 

Conservative media is all so completely astroturfed and fake that this should not at all be surprising, and conservative influencers are accustomed to just taking huge sums of money to say shit and not ask questions. 

Example: Rod Dreher, a weird little mini-influencer who is a niche celebrity BUT— wields real influence.  His viral book review launched JD Vance into the national convo and he introduced Tucker to Viktor Orban. 

Last year when he had to leave his blog at The American Conservative behind, it came out that the entire time he was bankrolled by one weird man: 

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2023/03/rod-dreher-blog-weird-american-conservative 

But one particular reader, upon reading the last of said posts, determined the blog had simply gotten too weird, according to two sources familiar with the publication. That disgruntled reader was Howard Ahmanson Jr., the heir to a California banking fortune and the sole benefactor of Dreher’s six-figure salary at TAC, which is published by American Ideas Institute, a nonprofit. This unique funding arrangement—a single donor choosing to cover one writer’s entire salary—was paired with an even more unusual editorial arrangement: Dreher was allowed to publish directly on TAC’s site without any revisions or legal oversight, according to the two sources.

Rod has now decamped permanently to Budapest and more or less openly serves as Orban’s chief English propagandist from his sinecure at a state think tank, where he has agreed to “write about his experiences” in Hungary. 

The point is this pipeline and jump is baked into right wing media operations.  You take money from people to spout whatever authoritarian talking points they want.  That’s how the system works and you don’t ask questions or think too much about who is funding you and why.  It’s the exact inverse of real journalism and that’s why it’s ALMOST plausible that the Tenet talent lineup might have just shrugged and said that the scheme must be some weird Thiel or Koch shit.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I also would place money that the American owners of Tenet are already singing, it’s all fun and games till the FBI shows your “what time in Moscow” google search while waiting for a paycheck. 

Conservative media is all so completely astroturfed and fake that this should not at all be surprising, and conservative influencers are accustomed to just taking huge sums of money to say shit and not ask questions. 

Example: Rod Dreher, a weird little mini-influencer who is a niche celebrity BUT— wields real influence.  His viral book review launched JD Vance into the national convo and he introduced Tucker to Viktor Orban. 

Last year when he had to leave his blog at The American Conservative behind, it came out that the entire time he was bankrolled by one weird man: 

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2023/03/rod-dreher-blog-weird-american-conservative 

Rod has now decamped permanently to Budapest and more or less openly serves as Orban’s chief English propagandist from his sinecure at a state think tank, where he has agreed to “write about his experiences” in Hungary. 

The point is this pipeline and jump is baked into right wing media operations.  You take money from people to spout whatever authoritarian talking points they want.  That’s how the system works and you don’t ask questions or think too much about who is funding you and why.  It’s the exact inverse of real journalism and that’s why it’s ALMOST plausible that the Tenet talent lineup might have just shrugged and said that the scheme must be some weird Thiel or Koch shit.  

God almighty.

I suppose he was always fucking nuts, but he maintained something of a veneer of sanity while at the DMN.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

God almighty.

I suppose he was always fucking nuts, but he maintained something of a veneer of sanity while at the DMN.

Rod lived a block away from me in Munger Place in the early 00s during his DMN days. He was a nerdy academic conservative back then, not too far off the path of normal - but in the ensuing two decades he’s gone totally off the rails.

• Hook 'Em 3

32 minutes ago, sasquatch69 said:

Rod lived a block away from me in Munger Place in the early 00s during his DMN days. He was a nerdy academic conservative back then, not too far off the path of normal - but in the ensuing two decades he’s gone totally off the rails.

Yeah it was the DMN, so you'd expect a level of conservatism, but by-and-large not this insane shit that Dreher himself calls Crunchy Con.  I think I kind of like that, as a derogatory term.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah it was the DMN, so you'd expect a level of conservatism, but by-and-large not this insane shit that Dreher himself calls Crunchy Con.  I think I kind of like that, as a derogatory term.

He left Crunchy Con behind, the thesis there was that conservatives should care about the environment and invest in building communities instead of fighting culture wars.

His new thesis is that the right should unite behind an autocratic strongman like Orban to crush the shitlibs, gays, and immigrants. He writes all about it from Budapest and also about how UFOs are probably demons. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

11 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

So there's a zero percent chance Elon Musk isn't wrapped up in this scheme.

Two pillars of this hypothesis: First, there is little doubt that Elon has provided material assistance to the occupying forces responsible for invading Ukraine through Starlink. Second, we know Elon wanted to back out of the Twitter acquisition and did not have the cash to buy it until Saudi benefactors fronted him the money, after which he immediately platformed Tucker Carlson's "actually these corrupt far-right European autocrats are the good guys" show, which is mentioned in the indictment, and virtually overnight changed the content moderation policies to transform Twitter into the toxic shithole it has become.

It's like Lenin said, you look for the person who will benefit and uh you know, you know what I'm trying to say.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

String them up. Seriously. You have to make an example out of traitors.

The unfortunate part is once again we see the low level dumb foot soldiers foot the bill for the high level professional traitors that continue to get away with it. 

ETA:  still me this morning 

GWroqqKbkAAOYpZ?format=jpg&name=medium

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

The thing is that all conservative media is astroturfed bullshit financed by one shadowy megalomaniac or another.  The business model of “some dude just pays me to say things” is well established.

Don’t get me wrong, it is absolutely worse and disgusting to take money from the GRU vice Thiel, I’m just saying that the template is in place for this.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

https://www.semafor.com/article/09/08/2024/mysterious-influencer-network-pushed-sexual-smears-of-harris

I had not run across semafor prior to today.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/18/semafor-debuts-new-media-startup.html

Sent by Copilot:
Semafor
Semafor
Explore

Semafor is a digital media company that focuses on providing transparent, global news coverage.

The company was co-founded by Ben Smith and Justin Smith (no relation)

Screenshot_20240909_112310_X.jpg

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

40 minutes ago, pacman said:

https://www.semafor.com/article/09/08/2024/mysterious-influencer-network-pushed-sexual-smears-of-harris

I had not run across semafor prior to today.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/18/semafor-debuts-new-media-startup.html

Sent by Copilot:
Semafor
Semafor
Explore

Semafor is a digital media company that focuses on providing transparent, global news coverage.

The company was co-founded by Ben Smith and Justin Smith (no relation)

Screenshot_20240909_112310_X.jpg

I'M BAAAAACK!!!

2023-01-31T160132Z_485645467_RC2K1Z9ENDI

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I'M BAAAAACK!!!

2023-01-31T160132Z_485645467_RC2K1Z9ENDI

1 hour ago, pacman said:

Yep, talentless, desperate piece of shit who wants to be gifted fame and fortune joins GOP example 5,234,678

The crazy thing is that Santos apparently said he wasn't down with this strategy on the call and left.