Pellet Grills and Smokers

Teamdirtyleg

2 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

This is the only way I cook steaks anymore. 225 on the Recteq until they hit internal target, then a 10 minute rest, then sear them off in a hot skillet with a little ghee or beef tallow. 

I got a big cast iron slab from costco for $20 a while back, and have been using it to sear steaks and grill burgers on my cheapo pit boss grill. It really gets a nice crust and cleans up super easy

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

I have a Ninja toaster oven that I'd buy again and recommend, but I don't see the point in this especially at that price.  Just get a name brand pellet grill/smoker.  Set it and forget it is pretty much a function of every cooker that isn't an offset stick burner. 

Edited by Gene Parmesan
  • Like 1

Apart from the obvious differences in fuel and vent control, what differences are you talking about, cookingwise?  Are you talking about what to expect from different temperatures?

Temps, cooking time and how to make sure I don’t dry out things. I think I need to add a water pan for long cooks with brisket or ribs. I’m trying out a turkey breast tonight. Shooting for not rubber.

6 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Just crack a window it'll be fine.  The only allure I'd see in this is portability for camping (I don't do much of) or living in an apartment. 

Bring a generator or enough extension cord.

19 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Temps, cooking time and how to make sure I don’t dry out things. I think I need to add a water pan for long cooks with brisket or ribs. I’m trying out a turkey breast tonight. Shooting for not rubber.

I did a whole turkey in my parents Cabela's brand pellet grill a couple years ago for Thanksgiving - it turned out great and cooked surprisingly fast, probably due to air convection in the pellet grill. Granted, I had a whole birds worth of drippings to help keep it moist, but I'd bet you can get a pretty good result and even a baby smoke ring

• Like 1

Last night was a success! Roughly 3 hours cook time. I wrapped it at 130F in foil with some butter and let it go to 165F. Let it rest in the foil and oven for 30 minutes. It was really juicy and good.

6a208b8855888648e5ade7c13515994b.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

20 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

I was just reading about the temps on different kinds of smokers.  I'd run into problems lately with the WSM because I was trying to run it at 225F.  Apparently, that's too low for brisket on a bullet smoker, but pellet smokers, according to what I read, do better at lower temps.

For chicken/turkey, I try to get it well over 300F, and I would prefer 350F.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2024 at 8:40 AM, Captainant said:

I did a whole turkey in my parents Cabela's brand pellet grill a couple years ago for Thanksgiving - it turned out great and cooked surprisingly fast, probably due to air convection in the pellet grill. Granted, I had a whole birds worth of drippings to help keep it moist, but I'd bet you can get a pretty good result and even a baby smoke ring

I did one this past Thanksgiving and it did get done really fast also and it was a big bird.  It was so big I didn't have anything that it would fit it in for brining that I could keep in the fridge.  I ended up injecting with Tony's cajun butter and seasoned it with Tony's the day before and let it sit in the fridge over night on a sheet pan.  Turned out great.  I will probably do the same thing again this year.

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2024 at 4:51 PM, SmokeyTheBear said:

I ordered in Feb. Expect an email with your invoice to approve before they build. Then it took about 3 weeks after that for delivery.  

I am now at 26 weeks (1/2 Earth year) since I ordered, got the invoice email 6 weeks ago and still waiting.  Hopefully next week.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

20 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

What did you pay for it? 

$67 after taxes and fees.  I spent an additional $8 on a paint stripper attachment for the griddle.  Worked well, just a little more to do in the corners and then I'll re-season.  I'm still a bit on the fence about whether or not to replace the drip pan- that'll be $55 if I do.

All and all, it was indeed a steal.  I think, anyway.