Mack Brown Tarheel Football: The Orange Slice Boogaloo

Machinator

32 minutes ago, Brodarious Hamm Sandwich said:

Didn’t take it that way! Agree with you 100% How do you make a 70-50 loss at home to JMU even more of a disaster? Mack discovered a way

No kidding.  That was an unexpected home 70-50 blowout loss.  How often does that happen?  So, how did the football team do today?

Edited by 89Horn

2 hours ago, Brodarious Hamm Sandwich said:

I heard this from two Carolina insiders, one I personally know who is well connected, so take that for what it’s worth on a message board (not much). But now I’m hearing Mack walked it back

Either way, an absolute shitshow in Chapel Hill

Come on.  Mack has shown no history of being dramatic.    It's not like he said "I don't want Saban to win it all with my players" or he didn't walk back the "if you fire Greg I'm gone" comment after Wazzu

• Haha 2

I was pretty shocked when I checked the scores today and saw that JMU hung 70 on UNC.  Like, how the hell did that happen?

Really funny to me that Duke was the only major school in North Carolina to get a football win today.  I remember not that long ago when Duke football was an utter laughing stock.

Strange times we live in.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I was pretty shocked when I checked the scores today and saw that JMU hung 70 on UNC.  Like, how the hell did that happen?
Really funny to me that Duke was the only major school in North Carolina to get a football win today.  I remember not that long ago when Duke football was an utter laughing stock.
Strange times we live in.

I saw the score and thought they were playing some other team with blue uniforms.
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, C-Man said:

Mack's entire career is defined by leaving shit on the table. All that talent he's had the MF'er has coached in 35 seasons as HC and he has two -- TWO! -- conference championships to his credit. That is a staggering stat. Thanks to VY he fell ass backwards into a single national championship (and probably should've had another). 

Probably? Bitch should've had at least 3 -- 2008, 2001, and 2005. And 2009 too, if he'd had an OL with any talent.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

6 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Probably? Bitch should've had at least 3 -- 2008, 2001, and 2005. And 2009 too, if he'd had an OL with any talent.

image.thumb.jpeg.327b20483398d1ab2cac93719ebf1d9f.jpeg

Applewhite fans sound like Uncle Rico 23 years later. “If coach had put the Major in earlier against Colorado, he’d of put up 500 yards in the BCS championship and whipped them Hurricanes!”

• Hook 'Em 1

Applewhite fans sound like Uncle Rico 23 years later. “If coach had put the Major in earlier against Colorado, he’d of put up 500 yards in the BCS championship and whipped them Hurricanes!”

Yeah, I think Applewhite beats Colorado for the Big 12 championship, but I don’t think they beat Miami. Might have been closer than Nebraska.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/7/2024 at 9:49 AM, Pimphand said:

Yeah 2000 was cold AF and one of the most memorable yet worst days of my life #fml

So, in 1992 or 1993, I got talked into going to the Cotton Bowl with a law school buddy in town for the game, without a ticket.  Historically, below-face tickets were easy to acquire outside the fairgrounds, but we were having no such luck.  No one was selling a single, and they all wanted too much for their pairs or threes.

So, I went in, had my corn dogs and wax cup beers thinking after the game started a ticket would be easily acquired at reasonable cost, or, failing that, I could watch the first half sitting at a picnic table in front of the CB on someone's portable TV, which seemed to be a thing back then.  Also, that was about the time they started stamping you if you went out at halftime, so a ticket stub was not guaranteed admission to the second half.

I was hungover to begin with and had several wax cup beers.  After kickoff, friend went in and there was no one outside the CB and no one materialized with a portable TV.  Or with cheap tickets.

So, I wandered over to the lagoon and sat down with my back against a tree and proceeded to nod off/pass out.  I was awakened by some hispanic kids tugging on my shoes, attempting to steal them.

I think I made it in for the second half by licking someone's stamp and pressing it on my hand.  

That's my unpleasant RRS story. /csb

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Brodarious Hamm Sandwich said:

I heard this from two Carolina insiders, one I personally know who is well connected, so take that for what it’s worth on a message board (not much). But now I’m hearing Mack walked it back

Either way, an absolute shitshow in Chapel Hill

I believe it. In 2013, after the embarrassing BYU loss, powerful boosters were unhappy. Mack told them- “you won’t have to fire me. I’ll resign at season’s end.”

A couple of games later that became, “If I don’t win the conference, I’ll leave gracefully”. 

After the loss to Baylor, he told them that he thought he saved his job by playing for the conference title on the last weekend. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Nah. But having a conference championship and take a shot at the Hurricanes would have been nice. Maybe Chris Sims could have also played well. Either way. I am a Texas fan, not an Applewhite fan.

The whole perspective is that we should be glad we didn't win a championship because the Hurricanes were unbeatable seems lame as shit. Sure we lose but I bet we wouldn't have gotten blown out. We were a good team as well. Sure as shit would have been better than yet another Holiday Bowl and yet another Conference failure.

7 minutes ago, statsman said:

I believe it. In 2013, after the embarrassing BYU loss, powerful boosters were unhappy. Mack told them- “you won’t have to fire me. I’ll resign at season’s end.”

A couple of games later that became, “If I don’t win the conference, I’ll leave gracefully”. 

After the loss to Baylor, he told them that he thought he saved his job by playing for the conference title on the last weekend. 

Yeah. Mack saying he won't resign after this JMU humiliation seems eerily familiar.

It would be horrible for UNC to have to fire him, just like it was horrible for us to have to fire him. But they just might. 

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

He would have 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Nah. But having a conference championship and take a shot at the Hurricanes would have been nice. Maybe Chris Sims could have also played well. Either way. I am a Texas fan, not an Applewhite fan.

The whole perspective is that we should be glad we didn't win a championship because the Hurricanes were unbeatable seems lame as shit. Sure we lose but I bet we wouldn't have gotten blown out. We were a good team as well. Sure as shit would have been better than yet another Holiday Bowl and yet another Conference failure.

Yeah. Mack saying he won't resign after this JMU humiliation seems eerily familiar.

It would be horrible for UNC to have to fire him, just like it was horrible for us to have to fire him. But they just might. 

My Panglossian is that it turned out better not having Miami go in dry against Texas not long before Miami was a recruiting rival for VY.

If we learned anything from his time at Texas, he likes being the man in charge. He likes doing favors for connected alumni. He likes giving jobs to sons and daughters of family members and close friends. He is not going to walk away or resign until they basically throw him out. Expect UNC to get burned to the ground first like he did here on the way out. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

My reply was in response to a comment that Mack should have won a national championship in 2001, not that we should be happy we ducked Miami. 

6 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

My reply was in response to a comment that Mack should have won a national championship in 2001, not that we should be happy we ducked Miami. 

Oh gotcha.

Sorry I hear the happy we ducked Miami part all the time. 

4 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

If Mack had won the championship with Colt, I think we would have stuck with him until he decided to hang it up. /silver lining.

If he had won that game he wouldn't have gone insane and tried to take football back to the 1970s in 2010 though.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

If he had won that game he wouldn't have gone insane and tried to take football back to the 1970s in 2010 though.

One of the stories at the time was that Mack had told Muschamp - who, as you know, had been designated as Head Coach in Waiting - that he was going to retire at the end of the season. Apparently, that was based on walking away with another National Championship and when Colt went down and the backup was not even close to ready for the stage... Muschamp was pissed as hell when Mack changed his mind abut retiring after the loss to 'Bama, and felt Mack had lied to him.  Having ridden Colt McCoy hard for four years, Mack had nothing left in the QB room, and the OL was already bad. 2010 was an all-time disaster, and at the end, Muschamp was able to convince the Cigars to dump GDGD, but Mack silver-tongued his way into refusing to hire Holgo the Barbarian based on his lifestyle rather than his OCing abilities, and pulled Harsin out of Boise instead, but saddled him with Applewhite.

Muschamp never amounted to anything as a Head Coach, but I can't help wondering how 2010 and the next few years would have been with Coach Boom in the driver's seat and Holgorsen running the Offense... How much worse could it have been?

3 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I had to reread that myself. He meant *conference* championships. 

Edited by Bullneck

Putting aside my lingering frustrations with Brown, his friends and family need to sit him down and tell him it’s time to hang up his spurs. It’s just sad at this point. He’s a charming grandpa who doesn’t know how to run a program or hire a staff. And just a bad coach to boot. He could still carve out a nice little niche in the Chapel Hill community with whatever goodwill is left. But he won’t do that on his own and it just gets more pathetic and painful every season. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Brodarious Hamm Sandwich said:

I am wrapping up a grad certificate program from McCombs this week. As a long-suffering UNC football fan, can I jump on the Texas bandwagon? I think I’ve endured enough misery over the years. Thanks for your consideration

IMG_3395.webp.18ad6d7409d015f295febda33a060d99.webp

And the Lord spake, saying, ''First shalt thou picketh a Team. Then shalt thou picketh Texas, no more, no less. Texas shall be the team thou shalt picketh, and the name of the picked shall be Texas. Oklahoma shalt thou not picketh, neither picketh thou Texas A&M, excepting that thou then proceed to Texas. Florida is right out. Once the team Texas, being the third pick, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Acquisition of Healthy Manning towards thy foe, who, being Pussies in My sight, shall eateth the loss!”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

That “it’s on me” speech seemed disingenuous 

4 minutes ago, Chooky said:

Total speculation, but I think a thing Mack does is identify multiple power pivots of a program, whether it be administration or significant donors, and form deep, lifelong friendships with them. I think he's very good at that, especially one on one. I'm not saying those friendships are all disingenuous, but he does tend to barricade himself inside loyal power brokers. I think he's very tactical and focused on buying himself longevity. Before someone inside a program can even entertain a change in coaching direction, they have to weave their way through his loyalty armor. Honestly, I believe a lot of people do this, in any occupation, just as a self preservation bubble. But I think there are few people as good or better at that than Mack Brown.

It'd be interesting to hear from someone in the UNC realm who knows the ins and outs of their decision hierarchy. I'd wager that Mack has long, late night phone calls with several of them where he tells them everything he's learned they like to hear about themselves. 

Good points. Allegedly he was right with deloss and powers.   He had a say in Charlie’s hire.   Allegedly

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Chooky said:

Total speculation, but I think a thing Mack does is identify multiple power pivots of a program, whether it be administration or significant donors, and form deep, lifelong friendships with them. I think he's very good at that, especially one on one. I'm not saying those friendships are all disingenuous, but he does tend to barricade himself inside loyal power brokers. I think he's very tactical and focused on buying himself longevity. Before someone inside a program can even entertain a change in coaching direction, they have to weave their way through his loyalty armor. Honestly, I believe a lot of people do this, in any occupation, just as a self preservation bubble. But I think there are few people as good or better at that than Mack Brown.

It'd be interesting to hear from someone in the UNC realm who knows the ins and outs of their decision hierarchy. I'd wager that Mack has long, late night phone calls with several of them where he tells them everything he's learned they like to hear about themselves. 

image.jpeg.aedd168dbb39d7d20cb9f8f81a77eee3.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

On 9/21/2024 at 4:07 PM, C-Man said:

Mack's entire career is defined by leaving shit on the table. All that talent he's had the MF'er has coached in 35 seasons as HC and he has two -- TWO! -- conference championships to his credit. That is a staggering stat. Thanks to VY he fell ass backwards into a single national championship (and probably should've had another). 

Thank Tim Brewster for VY. Mack was too stupid to even bother. His arrogance is unmatched.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Chooky said:

He's one of the undisputed GOATs of office politics.

• Hook 'Em 2