Mack Brown Tarheel Football: The Orange Slice Boogaloo

Machinator

Quote from the ESPN article.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/41399980/north-carolina-mack-brown-overwhelmingly-supported-players

Brown has a reputation for taking losses particularly hard, something he'd promised his wife, Sally, he would improve upon when he returned to UNC in 2019 after 16 seasons coaching Texas (1998-2013). However, he said he has struggled to change his stripes.

———————

Get back up and fight you fucking pussy!

57 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

Come on now.  UNC held James Madison to 20 points in the second half.  That’s something to build off of.

All their season goals are still on the table and what not.  

They should have made “do not get blasted at home by a school that nobody  even knew had a football team” as a season goal.  

• Haha 1

It would not not surprise me if Mack doesn’t not get to go out on his own terms.
Exactly what will happen. Now that the lockerroom comments are public, what recruit worth a shit is going to sign up for that shitshow? Whatever goodwill Mack had at UNC is used up now.

Pre edit- they may allow him to make it look like a retirement.

11 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Happy to see that the University of North Carolina is experiencing full-on Fuck You Pay Me mode.  

Mack is beyond the money though.  Some of this is just about ego.  

and now obligatory “I Don’t want Bob Chesney to win it all with my players!!”

image.jpeg.7e6e022b8414f297154a5dc7c8deb1f6.jpeg

Chesney

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Mack is beyond the money though.  Some of this is just about ego.  

But, is it? Ten years ago, I really felt that Mack, for all his talk about looking for a high point to leave on, really didn’t want to go from $5.5 M per year for coaching to $1.5 m per year for emeritus status and some broadcasting. Would you? He ended up getting a buyout (low eight figures), I believe  

For all that we can say, “He has made plenty and ought to be set”, how can any of us make that decision for him? Not knowing anything, the correct play for UNC is to assume he believes he needs the money, and to not assume any benevolence or generosity. 

39 minutes ago, statsman said:

But, is it? Ten years ago, I really felt that Mack, for all his talk about looking for a high point to leave on, really didn’t want to go from $5.5 M per year for coaching to $1.5 m per year for emeritus status and some broadcasting. Would you? He ended up getting a buyout (low eight figures), I believe  

For all that we can say, “He has made plenty and ought to be set”, how can any of us make that decision for him? Not knowing anything, the correct play for UNC is to assume he believes he needs the money, and to not assume any benevolence or generosity. 

You’re right.  I’d guess it’s a little bit of both.  Sally did really well in life though.  They rich but yes money is money

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Mack is close to passing Saban for most wins by a college coach. He only needs 12 or 13 more wins. When Mack realized how close he was, he told UNC he was coming back even if it takes 5 years to get enough wins to pass Saban. 

THAT is the level of pettiness we've come to love and expect from FYPM Mack.  I'm sure after he stumbles his way into that in another season or two he'll crow all about it as if he and Saban are in the same league.  They're not even on the same planet.

33 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Mack is close to passing Saban for most wins by a college coach. He only needs 12 or 13 more wins. When Mack realized how close he was, he told UNC he was coming back even if it takes 5 years to get enough wins to pass Saban. 

Shocking, I tell you.

Once a clown, always a clown. 

3 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

Mack Brown has exactly one talent in life, and that’s salesmanship. He’s an elite bullshit artist and can recruit enough talent to (mostly) overcome his complete inability to coach football. He’s also a narcissist who would burn a program to the ground rather than watch another coach succeed in his place, imo.

I believe this is an extremely accurate representation of Mack Brown. 

he’s an amazing salesman who can recruit like mad. However, when his players’ talent << his coaching talent (which isn’t much to speak of) he (and the program) is in bad trouble.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, MrBig said:

He is seven wins behind Saban at year’s start. He is 38 behind Bryant. Robinson and Paterno are past Bryant. It might be just Saban that he’s chasing. 

1 hour ago, MrBig said:

It would be hilarious if he kept going until he passed both Saban for all-time wins and his brother Watson for all-time losses.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, TXpride said:

Some interesting commentary on Mack. I don't think papa Shipley is a fan.

Ole Babers doing his dambdest not to say what he knows is the truth out loud about Mack.  We had a whole city and campus full of this during those last few years and, it seems, the dancing around is still, well, around.

Sigh

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Maybe he crows a bit too loudly and Saban heads to Chapel Hill to go 20-4 in two seasons right after Mack retires following a 4-8 debacle. 

If they fired him, what are the odds he goes to Tulane next? It’s like he’s Benjamin Buttoning his own career reliving his greatest hits…

1983 Appalachian State

1985–1987 Tulane

1988–1997 North Carolina

1998–2013 Texas 

2019–2024? North Carolina

?2024-2026 Tulane…?

Appalachian State better watch out 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Fondren &amp; Main said:

Mack will tell the kids that "We can't let 1 loss become 2 and that we're excited to play Duke.  What a great rivalry for the state of North Carolina and the coaches here."

Lucky for those kids, he's already handled the "winning too much isn't good for them" part. He's just looking out for their best interests.

Mack used to be a great recruiter. He isn't anymore because he is a lazy sonofabitch. He has no motivation to change. He's rich. He has more money than he'll ever spend.

That VY national championship ruined him. He has been coasting, and an utter dickhead, ever since.

7 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Lucky for those kids, he's already handled the "winning too much isn't good for them" part. He's just looking out for their best interests.

Mack used to be a great recruiter. He isn't anymore because he is a lazy sonofabitch. He has no motivation to change. He's rich. He has more money than he'll ever spend.

That VY national championship ruined him. He has been coasting, and an utter dickhead, ever since.

Yep. I thought that VY championship would be the beginning of a great run at UT, but Mack put his feet up and mailed it in. He was satisfied with that one title. After that, he was just stealing Texas' money.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, TXpride said:

Some interesting commentary on Mack. I don't think papa Shipley is a fan.

45 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Ole Babers doing his dambdest not to say what he knows is the truth out loud about Mack.  We had a whole city and campus full of this during those last few years and, it seems, the dancing around is still, well, around.

Sigh

i don't know what y'all are seeing that I'm missing there