Mack Brown Tarheel Football: The Orange Slice Boogaloo

Machinator

Just now, General Colt said:

Mack struck gold with Colt McCoy, who deserves most of the credit for those years. Mack was still pretty much coasting during that time, IMO.

C’mon, man, Texas got jobbed out of playing for one title and lost another due to injury in consecutive years. It wasn’t all about McCoy. Be real.

• Hook 'Em 1

Mack struck gold with Colt McCoy, who deserves most of the credit for those years. Mack was still pretty much coasting during that time, IMO.

Coastin?  You don’t uncover gems like Braden Johnson, Dustin micksch, Clint Haney, etc by mailing it in. 

I’ll challenge “Mack is a great recruiter.” Commentary.  Maybe he was in his prime but recruiting at Texas isn’t really that hard 

4 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

C’mon, man, Texas got jobbed out of playing for one title and lost another due to injury in consecutive years. It wasn’t all about McCoy. Be real.

Most could see the dip in effort on the trail. Very little elite talent on offense masked by a college stud at QB. 

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

What he did after losing the game he expected to win against Alabama is mailing it in. 

Patently wrong.  And Brown said so himself.  So it must be true.  

Who can forget this golden quote, via Feldman, during that fateful week when he was running, hiding and doing whatever he could to submarine things. 

"I'm in FL recruiting. If I had decided to step down I sure wouldn't be killing myself down here."

• Rage+1 1

52 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Perhaps "mailing it in" was a bit hyperbolic, but I expected Texas to be primed for a run like Saban had at Alabama. Yet we had a subpar O line, and Colt was pretty much the running game after Jamal Charles graduated. We were close We had all the momentum, but we went out not with bang, but with a whimper. Mack did a lot of good for UT, but there was a lot of downside to his regime as well. I agree 2008 and 2009 were good years.

Edited by General Colt
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, General Colt said:

Perhaps "mailing it in" was a bit hyperbolic, but I expected Texas to be primed for a run like Saban had at Alabama. Yet we had a subpar O line, and Colt was pretty much the running game after Jamal Charles graduated. We had all the momentum, but we went out not with bang, but with a whimper. Mack did a lot of good for UT, but there was a lot of downside to his regime as well. I agree that 2008 and 2009 were good years.

Edited by General Colt
double post

Perhaps "mailing it in" was a bit hyperbolic, but I expected Texas to be primed for a run like Saban had at Alabama. Yet we had a subpar O line, and Colt was pretty much the running game after Jamal Charles graduated. We had all the momentum, but we went out not with bang, but with a whimper. Mack did a lot of good for UT, but there was a lot of downside to his regime as well.

Yes, there was lots of downside. 

Texas beats Florida and Alabama and it’s a different scenario. 

He sealed his fate with trying to replicate Alabama without an Alabama roster in a state that doesn’t play Alabama football in high school. 

He easily could have won three titles in five years, but, well, he didn’t. And he went out as a petty, paycheck stealing bitch. 

I think I missed two games during his tenure, and I’m more than ready for Sarkisian to step past him as #2 at Texas and give DKR a damned good run for #1.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

Fine, I guess I'll go ahead and resign.

Maybe that would be better for everyone in the long run. 

So you're saying you want me to stay? 

I think you're entitled to make a decision and should trust your instinct. 

Okay, I'll stay then. Get me a list of all the people who want me to stay. But before that, get me a list of all the people who don't. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5
  • Rage+1 1

29 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Most could see the dip in effort on the trail. Very little elite talent on offense masked by a college stud at QB. 

This is revisionist. When I showed up on Shaggy and started posting that the staff was lazy and there was an unwarranted boost that happened for recruits when they committed to Texas, almost zero posters were on board with it. I was taunted and negged and told I knew nothing. 

When I posted about street agents and told Seastrunk’s aunt that she was full of shit and they were on the take, regular posters still on this site were calling for my banning. 

Posters on Shaggy were as asleep at the wheel about where things were going as Mack Brown. Numerous folks were basically crying when I said Gilbert was a bad recruit to bet the farm on. Same for Swoopes over Barrett. Same for Mack Brown just deciding to cancel recruiting in Houston. Or taking a commitment from a guy in a wheelchair who was a 2 star recruit at Lake Travis. Or letting Mac McWhorter just add who he wanted within a 50 miles radius and no further of Austin. 

No, posters here and there didn’t have it the whole way. Glad we do now though. Sure. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

It was pretty obvious in 2009 (and frankly even going to back to 2007 and 2008) that the lower classmen were not that great. They either weren't talented and/or weren't getting coached. At WR the guys being Shipley were...ok. The drop-off from the early days of Mack at that position was disheartening.

The offensive line had been bad from 2006 onwards, though in 2008 they were pretty good at pass blocking. They regressed right back to 2007 form in 2009 though.

I was just in horrible anguish about it and wondered why it was happening and it dawned on me we were just going to start losing before trying to address it. I don't think I was alone on having those concerns but Shaggy isn't around anymore to consult.

Also I don't know what was going on in recruiting, I don't really follow it that closely. I was just clear on what I was seeing on the field.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

It was pretty obvious in 2009 (and frankly even going to back to 2007 and 2008) that the lower classmen were not that great. They either weren't talented and/or weren't getting coached. At WR the guys being Shipley were...ok. The drop-off from the early days of Mack at that position was disheartening.

The offensive line had been bad from 2006 onwards, though in 2008 they were pretty good at pass blocking. They regressed right back to 2007 form in 2009 though.

I was just in horrible anguish about it and wondered why it was happening and it dawned on me we were just going to start losing before trying to address it. I don't think I was alone on having those concerns but Shaggy isn't around anymore to consult.

Also I don't know what was going on in recruiting, I don't really follow it that closely. I was just clear on what I was seeing on the field.

Right. Everyone had it the whole way. Get fucked with this shit. 

We flew a fucking banner for the Iowa State game in 2010 in the midst of an 5-7 season but before it was fair accompli and the hue and cry from Shaggy posters was panic and angst over alienating Mack Brown. There was also the typical cabal of unfunny and joyless clowns who didn’t like it because of who was doing it, but that’s beside the point.

The vast majority of Hornfans/Shaggy posters didn’t want to hear about it and had their head in the sand when it came to looking at what Brown and Co. we’re doing starting 2006. 2010 helped some but not all get religion. Many still defended Mack into the teens. 

Nowadays, the reality of the past is an orphan. The revisionist history has many fathers. I’ve been here the whole time and the notion that much of the board saw it straight is a fucking joke. I have the scars from it and I am always going to call bullshit on this kind of “shared history”. From 2006-2016, there isn’t a ton of shared history across the posterbase. 

@SydneyCarton @HenryJames good shit right here. 

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is revisionist. When I showed up on Shaggy and started posting that the staff was lazy and there was an unwarranted boost that happened for recruits when they committed to Texas, almost zero posters were on board with it. I was taunted and negged and told I knew nothing. 

When I posted about street agents and told Seastrunk’s aunt that she was full of shit and they were on the take, regular posters still on this site were calling for my banning. 

Posters on Shaggy were as asleep at the wheel about where things were going as Mack Brown. Numerous folks were basically crying when I said Gilbert was a bad recruit to bet the farm on. Same for Swoopes over Barrett. Same for Mack Brown just deciding to cancel recruiting in Houston. Or taking a commitment from a guy in a wheelchair who was a 2 star recruit at Lake Travis. Or letting Mac McWhorter just add who he wanted within a 50 miles radius and no further of Austin. 

No, posters here and there didn’t have it the whole way. Glad we do now though. Sure. 

I don't remember calling you out, but early on I sure didn't want to believe you. Your ideas were not popular, but there were a few who saw the writing on the wall.

• Hook 'Em 4

22 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If only Mack had listened to ctj, we could have avoided all this!

I've mellowed a tiny bit on Mack, I rarely think about him aside from laughing when he does something stupid like allowing 70 points at home to JMU.  But the whole "I'll guess I'll just leave then..." "oh wait what you don't want me to? ...okaayyyyy" that shit is 1) dumb and 2) PTSD triggering.  He did some variation of that here, too.  

He's such a thin-skinned bitch, and the thing is he didn't have to be.  If he had retired on-time like he said he would, he'd be venerated at Texas.  Instead, he's the coach who won a title but also underachieved  massively, and played a big part plunging Texas in the ditch we laid in for 10 years.  A lot of that is on us for making several bad hires but the recruiting 8-ball he put us behind was significant on the way out the door.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

I member almost getting banned from Hornfans because I told CTJ (tongue in cheek) to jump in about 2002. 

so, I probably said something similar in 2009/2010 off season… that said, I saw us struggle against Rice in person in 2010 and knew we were in trouble. Didn’t know just how much trouble at the time.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Horn of Gabriel said:

If only Mack had listened to ctj, we could have avoided all this!

I've mellowed a tiny bit on Mack, I rarely think about him aside from laughing when he does something stupid like allowing 70 points at home to JMU.  But the whole "I'll guess I'll just leave then..." "oh wait what you don't want me to? ...okaayyyyy" that shit is 1) dumb and 2) PTSD triggering.  He did some variation of that here, too.  

He's such a thin-skinned bitch, and the thing is he didn't have to be.  If he had retired on-time like he said he would, he'd be venerated at Texas.  Instead, he's the coach who won a title but also underachieved  massively, and played a big part plunging Texas in the ditch we laid in for 10 years.  A lot of that is on us for making several bad hires but the recruiting 8-ball he put us behind was significant on the way out the door.

Obviously I didn’t have access, but I have some friends who did. One actually tried to speak truth to power in his own honest and unrefined way and paid a price for it. Same thing happened when Herman was in charge but the power dynamics for both sides were markedly different. Others tried to handle it more gently and would get left in the dark for small periods in order for Mack to remind them of who was in charge and the consequences for doubting him. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

We flew a fucking banner for the Iowa State game in 2010 in the midst of an 5-7 season but before it was fair accompli and the hue and cry from Shaggy posters was panic and angst over alienating Mack Brown. There was also the typical cabal of unfunny and joyless clowns who didn’t like it because of who was doing it, but that’s beside the point.

The vast majority of Hornfans/Shaggy posters didn’t want to hear about it and had their head in the sand when it came to looking at what Brown and Co. we’re doing starting 2006. 2010 helped some but not all get religion. Many still defended Mack into the teens. 

Nowadays, the reality of the past is an orphan. The revisionist history has many fathers. I’ve been here the whole time and the notion that much of the board saw it straight is a fucking joke. I have the scars from it and I am always going to call bullshit on this kind of “shared history”. From 2006-2016, there isn’t a ton of shared history across the posterbase. 

Normally I'd cuss you up and down for summoning me to the football board, but this is pretty fucking juicy. Although about what I'd expect from the football board.

I literally had people threaten to kill me for flying a banner, and were taunting us the entire day in that thread in real-time about how stupid, about where was the banner, to then it being split 50/50 to about 85/15 in favor of the banner once people started posting they'd seen it, and once it made it to the fucking campus area. Shockingly, everyone knew it was a great idea the whole way!

Then, when we fired Mack and hired strong, there were a massive percentage of the same fucktards reveling in their ability to say "Bet you miss Mack now, don't you?" No. No I fucking didn't. I didn't miss him through strong, and I didn't miss him through Herman, and I sure as fuck didn't miss him when his fat lazy fucking ass decided that, yeah, maybe he WOULD try to coach again for a few years and actually PUT IN EFFORT at NC which he sorely did NOT do here his last few years. And yet people are fucking shocked that the same shit has happened again, except now he's a fuck ton older? 

Who, exactly, and WHY would anyone want to go out on a limb at this point and defend that fucking guy or attempt to make exuses for him in retrospect? And in what way were they abused as children to make thim this way? 

Like everything in life, that motherfucker got old and lazy at some point and we were the victim of that shit. And it's happened again at NC. And like everything else on this board, there's about 40-60% of the people who are willing to contort themsleves into pretzels to defend that fucking guy. Some of you would defend mack brawn if he fucked all your wives in the ass and then mailed the video tapes to your family and friends.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Normally I'd cuss you up and down for summoning me to the football board, but this is pretty fucking juicy. Although about what I'd expect from the football board.

I literally had people threaten to kill me for flying a banner, and were taunting us the entire day in that thread in real-time about how stupid, about where was the banner, to then it being split 50/50 to about 85/15 in favor of the banner once people started posting they'd seen it, and once it made it to the fucking campus area. Shockingly, everyone knew it was a great idea the whole way!

Then, when we fired Mack and hired strong, there were a massive percentage of the same fucktards reveling in their ability to say "Bet you miss Mack now, don't you?" No. No I fucking didn't. I didn't miss him through strong, and I didn't miss him through Herman, and I sure as fuck didn't miss him when his fat lazy fucking ass decided that, yeah, maybe he WOULD try to coach again for a few years and actually PUT IN EFFORT at NC which he sorely did NOT do here his last few years. And yet people are fucking shocked that the same shit has happened again, except now he's a fuck ton older? 

Who, exactly, and WHY would anyone want to go out on a limb at this point and defend that fucking guy or attempt to make exuses for him in retrospect? And in what way were they abused as children to make thim this way? 

Like everything in life, that motherfucker got old and lazy at some point and we were the victim of that shit. And it's happened again at NC. And like everything else on this board, there's about 40-60% of the people who are willing to contort themsleves into pretzels to defend that fucking guy. Some of you would defend mack brawn if he fucked all your wives in the ass and then mailed the video tapes to your family and friends.

But what if he thanked me for my paying the shipping fee?

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

That's the timeframe when UT football players earned a reputation as "soft." Before that, UT had always been known for its toughness, even during the down times. There was anecdotal evidence that NFL teams were wary of drafting Longhorns athletes because of this perceived lack of mental and physical toughness. It's a shame, because the potential was there for a dynasty run. We were early proponents of the zone-read offense, before Mack freaked out and switched to the Bama offense in a rash CYA move.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Coastin?  You don’t uncover gems like Braden Johnson, Dustin micksch, Clint Haney, etc by mailing it in. 

I’ll challenge “Mack is a great recruiter.” Commentary.  Maybe he was in his prime but recruiting at Texas isn’t really that hard 

This is Brock Fitzhenry erasure.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Guilty as charged on all counts.

cb720079-be91-442a-86f9-c2045f84866e_tex

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Well I can't prove anything since I don't have Shaggy around to link to.

You clearly know me better than I know myself. But I swear to God we bitched about the offensive line for years, do you think everybody saw the 2009 Big 12 Title game and thought "yeah that looks great"? On in 2007 when Colt had no time to throw against Arkansas State?

I do specifically remember Dan Buckner. That dude was such a scrub and I remember how I couldn't figure out how it was he was starting for us. 

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, General Colt said:

That's the timeframe when UT football players earned a reputation as "soft." Before that, UT had always been known for its toughness, even during the down times. There was anecdotal evidence that NFL teams were wary of drafting Longhorns athletes because of this perceived lack of mental and physical toughness. It's a shame, because the potential was there for a dynasty run. We were early proponents of the zone-read offense, before Mack freaked out and switched to the Bama offense in a rash CYA move.

The soft label actually comes from long before then. The reputation in the 1980s was "look like Tarzan, play like Jane" and specifically we caught tons of shit for getting run over by a much smaller Air Force team in the Bluebonnet Bowl around 1985 or so. It started to be a big theme again during the five game losing streak to OU prior to 2005.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

You accused my Cassandra act of being tired and then completely and totally replicated it right here. 
this is all factual and completely justified, no argument on that score. Sometimes shit needs to be said and people on the internet need to be reminded of how wrong and stupid they are. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You accused my Cassandra act of being tired and then completely and totally replicated it right here. 
this is all factual and completely justified, no argument on that score. Sometimes shit needs to be said and people on the internet need to be reminded of how wrong and stupid they are. 

I was definitely wrong about some things. I thought Gilbert was going to be good. Sims, Applewhite, Young, Colt, and even Chance Mock were good. Why would Mack and GDGD suddenly not know how to recruit and coach QBs? I will never know. I also was completely caught by surprise when the special teams, in the past a strength, went to total shit seemingly overnight. Nobody could catch a punt in 2010. How can nobody be able to catch a punt? Who saw that coming? I guess CTJ did, I didn't.

But not on the deterioration of the offensive line. What drove me nuts about the offensive line is even though this was an obvious problem and obviously the worst position on the team after 2005 Mack did nothing about it and in fact kept talking like there was no problem at all. Even called McWhorter the best coach in the country at one point to my astonishment. At first I had confidence that Mack would fix it but gradually it dawned on me that Mack just wasn't going to do shit until it actually started to make him lose. So I guess in retrospect if he was like that about one part of the team, who knows what else he was slacking on?

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Pissed me off when he cancelled the Hawaii game, but I got over it.

Then royally pissed me off when he offered to help players flip their commits when he was fired.

In between those it was an aggy-like rollercoaster on a loop.

Anyone here still carrying his water or who is just kinda meh about Mack and how he left must just have some mental blank spot regarding the bolded part.

It's the only explanation.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Anyone here still carrying his water or who is just kinda meh about Mack and how he left must just have some mental blank spot regarding the bolded part.

It's the only explanation.

Yes, and I remember the video of him saying goodbye to his Tarheel players as he left for Texas 26 years ago  - he told them to stay there because “You all committed to the school, not to me”.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I resemble that remark.

(but not about Mack in 2013, I was done with him)

41 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

I don't know about you guys but I'm betting the farm on Duke -3 this weekend

In Maalik we trust. In Mack we do not trust

See... this is where you're wrong. No coach is better after an inexplicable loss as a big favorite with an overwhelming talent advantage than Mack Brown. Then again, nobody has had as much experience at it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I remember numerous posts about the Melton, Colt class being damn near a homerun and saving Mack’s hide. Posts laughing at Muschamp pointing out Texas wasn’t as talented as one would think.  Did you make all of them? You are amazing!!!!

I remember you leading the charge and being ridiculed for it. But lots of posters wondered how a converted WR was our starting RB in 2008. There was nothing behind Blaine Irby. When Mack shifted the offensive philosophy in 2010, that didn’t go over well with the majority. The Rice game shocked a lot of people.

• Hook 'Em 1