Mack Brown Tarheel Football: The Orange Slice Boogaloo

Machinator

45 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Hey,don’t feel too bad… it took me until Sark made the BigXii CG for me to buy in on him.

I’m a pilot now.

I mean, that's fine. You should remain skeptical of the coach... ALWAYS. Sark could fall off the wagon; he could get an ego and fuck everything up; he could sit on his laurels; the game could pass him by and he doesn't adjust.

There's many, many ways to fall, and it's not up to us to make excuses for coaches when they do, nor is it our job to support the coach above and beyond the needs of the school and team.

There's a difference between wanting a coach to succeed and expecting them to, and even further distance between expecting them to succeed and making excuses for them when they don't. It's that latter tendency that Strong cured me of. I was the WORST at that, and for a long time.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

The soft label actually comes from long before then. The reputation in the 1980s was "look like Tarzan, play like Jane" and specifically we caught tons of shit for getting run over by a much smaller Air Force team in the Bluebonnet Bowl around 1985 or so. It started to be a big theme again during the five game losing streak to OU prior to 2005.

I knew many of the UT players during that time, I wouldn't exactly describe such players such as Gene Chilton, John Stuart, Pau Jetton, Bryan Chester, Ty Allert and Britt Hager as soft.. Air Force did not even have 200 yards worth of offense in that game. Akers coached teams were always on the physical side, Noting less. The soft label started to come during the John Mackovic era  Mackovic teams were always soft. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I was definitely wrong about some things. I thought Gilbert was going to be good. Sims, Applewhite, Young, Colt, and even Chance Mock were good. Why would Mack and GDGD suddenly not know how to recruit and coach QBs? I will never know. I also was completely caught by surprise when the special teams, in the past a strength, went to total shit seemingly overnight. Nobody could catch a punt in 2010. How can nobody be able to catch a punt? Who saw that coming? I guess CTJ did, I didn't.

But not on the deterioration of the offensive line. What drove me nuts about the offensive line is even though this was an obvious problem and obviously the worst position on the team after 2005 Mack did nothing about it and in fact kept talking like there was no problem at all. Even called McWhorter the best coach in the country at one point to my astonishment. At first I had confidence that Mack would fix it but gradually it dawned on me that Mack just wasn't going to do shit until it actually started to make him lose. So I guess in retrospect if he was like that about one part of the team, who knows what else he was slacking on?

GG ended up being decent at SMU

• Like 1

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

One of Mack's greatest strengths after salesmanship is scheduling.  Guy was a chickenshit because we played in "the toughest conference in CFB"

Even though I criticize Mack for many things, scheduling was not one of them. He understood the college football political pond that UT was swimming in and scheduled accordingly, There are too many lazy overpaid sportswriters in this State waiting for a reason to rank down UT. Same with college football coaches. If you think that playing a hard schedule will win their respect. Think again.

33 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

I remember numerous posts about the Melton, Colt class being damn near a homerun and saving Mack’s hide. Posts laughing at Muschamp pointing out Texas wasn’t as talented as one would think.  Did you make all of them? You are amazing!!!!

I remember you leading the charge and being ridiculed for it. But lots of posters wondered how a converted WR was our starting RB in 2008. There was nothing behind Blaine Irby. When Mack shifted the offensive philosophy in 2010, that didn’t go over well with the majority. The Rice game shocked a lot of people.

Allegedly both Chizik and Will thought the talented was less than expected.  

More Mack stuff:

• I can imagine Mack shutting out the money but I think most of the money thought "Mack doesn't tell me how to do my job and I won't tell him how to do his." 
  • Rumors that Mack wasn't happy with Will getting so much credit for the defensive turnaround.
  • The money actually called Mack's bluff when he said "if Greg goes, I go."

5 minutes ago, RC Horn said:

Even though I criticize Mack for many things, scheduling was not one of them. He understood the college football political pond that UT was swimming in and scheduled accordingly, There are too many lazy overpaid sportswriters in this State waiting for a reason to rank down UT. Same with college football coaches. If you think that playing a hard schedule will win their respect. Think again.

Not about winning their respect.  We had one maybe two marquee games, sack up and schedule someone with a pulse.  Even Mackovic had the stones to do that.  Mack and his sycophants loved to tout "9 win seasons" because he couldn't win the conference.  

• Rage+1 2

32 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

GG ended up being decent at SMU

Not really. He punched down just fine and then famously “got a ring” for all of the apologists and Lake Travis honks to point to, but beating up a bunch of midgets as a “can’t miss” five star isn’t anything to debunk his bust status at Texas and reveal the fact that he was overrated and sucked. 

• Hook 'Em 2