Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/06/americas/cuba-russian-ships-submarine-visit-intl-latam/index.html

They are sending two warships (one a nuke), a fleet oil tanker for the non-nuke, and a rescue tug.

They have to send a rescue tug with their two warships for a simple port call.

As I was reading, I was wondering how they could make it across the Atlantic without a tug. They should probably bring 2 or 3… do we provide a tow when all their shit fails?

31 minutes ago, B00M said:

The one place Ukraine can consult is high value weaponry. It won’t seem like high tech to a random person on the street, but it do. 

When you have people making jewelry to sell on Etsy pivoting to making drones to hunt down human beings on a battlefield, your population seems to be able to handle high tech stuff pretty well.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

The General Command of the Polish Armed Forces confirms he was killed while trying to stop dozens of illegal migrants trying to break through the border

Sounds like a Monty Python skit.

13 hours ago, B00M said:

As I was reading, I was wondering how they could make it across the Atlantic without a tug. They should probably bring 2 or 3… do we provide a tow when all their shit fails?

Nah, we send this dude and he arranges it all to work out.

Untitled.jpg.fdeca7591221ed5dd59863be10200502.jpg

So what are the current odds of a man made disaster in the Caribbean this coming week?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Deej said:

There's a difference?

lesser direct involvement which theoretically could delay or lessen sanctions from whatever offended government, with an added layer of deniability when criminals with zero credibility claim they are working with GRU?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

This long story in the Globe and Mail about HUR’s elite unit needs to win all the awards and be read by all. 

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-the-fearless-ukraine-soldiers-front-lines/

I have followed the war closely since '22 so I remember most/all of these events and battles, but holy shit that the same elite team was involved in so many of them. Legendary

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

They are behind a lot of bullshit across Europe. Most of it is low-level and petty type arson and vandalism and shit.  Most governments are wisely keeping the non-meaningful stuff low-key, there’s no reason to pump up the capacities of the Russians and scare everyone when they’re just doing hoodrat stuff with their friends. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I won't vouch for the 100% accuracy of Task & Purpose (He's a bit too glib for me).  But the explanation he gives for how the donated weapons are accounted for financially makes sense.  They assigned a certain value to the old Bradley's sent to Ukraine and took it off the tab of money Congress "gave" to Ukraine.  That money goes to buy better, brand new Bradley A4E1's.   In this case it started a program that had been sitting for want of $$$'s.  

Edited by Parliament
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, bolverk said:

My guess would be ~1959-60.

that would work too. One of the problems is not knowing exactly where the people are from.  when I moved from Florida to Kansas after fourth grade I noticed that everything in Wichita seem to be a year or two behind what was going on in Fort Lauderdale.   It’s like long hair on dudes.  All the rednecks would beat your ass for having long hair back in the day, and then about a decade after it was fashionable all the country western singer rednecks decided they would have hippie hair. 

Around 1962 or 63 I did have girls in my class who were wearing what she wore.  

I can relate. Spent my first 5-6 years in a tiny town of about 2,000 SW of Lubbock close to the NM line, and most of the family photos from then are virtually indistinguishable in style of dress from PTIN's. In my case, though, that would've been the early 1970s, so a decade later.

15 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I can relate. Spent my first 5-6 years in a tiny town of about 2,000 SW of Lubbock close to the NM line, and most of the family photos from then are virtually indistinguishable in style of dress from PTIN's. In my case, though, that would've been the early 1970s, so a decade later.

Muleshoe?

19 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Muleshoe?

SW of Lubbock, not NW. It was a town called Seagraves: K-12 was all in one building. We moved to the big city in the middle of my first-grade year, where they even had STOPLIGHTS!

Seriously, I remember being excited about living in a town with fucking stoplights. But, of course, I was 6 (summer baby) when we made the move.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, bolverk said:

SW of Lubbock, not NW. It was a town called Seagraves: K-12 was all in one building. We moved to the big city in the middle of my first-grade year, where they even had STOPLIGHTS!

Seriously, I remember being excited about living in a town with fucking stoplights. But, of course, I was 6 (summer baby) when we made the move.

Well, you have the Terry County Heritage Museum and truly, I hear it is lovely this time of year. If you have the means, I highly recommend it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Another European leader attacked (shoved)

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cv22k0rkl99o

Denmark PM Mette Frederiksen has been left "shocked" after being attacked in the street in Copenhagen, her office says. The assault took place on a square in the centre of the city where a man walked up to her and hit her. The attacker has been arrested. 

European Commission chief Ursula von der Leyen called it a "despicable act, which goes against everything we believe in and fight for in Europe". "Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen was beaten on Friday evening at Kultorvet in Copenhagen by a man who was subsequently arrested. The prime minister is shocked by the incident," the prime minister's office said in a statement without giving further detail.

Police said they had arrested a man and were investigating the incident, but declined to say more. There is no word on a motive yet.

The attack comes two days before Denmark votes in the EU election.

• Rage+1 4

11 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

that would work too. One of the problems is not knowing exactly where the people are from.  when I moved from Florida to Kansas after fourth grade I noticed that everything in Wichita seem to be a year or two behind what was going on in Fort Lauderdale.   It’s like long hair on dudes.  All the rednecks would beat your ass for having long hair back in the day, and then about a decade after it was fashionable all the country western singer rednecks decided they would have hippie hair. 

Around 1962 or 63 I did have girls in my class who were wearing what she wore.  

Friggen' Billy Ray Cyrus

Posted (edited)
On 6/7/2024 at 9:04 AM, PTINS said:

HAWK Pallet & Trailer, Clark AFB, Philippine Islands, ~1959-60.

I’m the kid in the red hat.

image.thumb.jpeg.810eebcf8c97832f946c9f6f09314b1c.jpeg

That beats the WW2 era anti-aircraft battery next to our Tianmu neighborhood outside Taipei in 1957. 
It wasn’t to protect our US military dependent housing, but it defended one of the air approaches to Grass Mountain to the east. 
That was where Chiang Kai Shek’s presidential house was.

I hear a year or two after we left it was replaced by a Nike missile installation.

At least you guys down there had some big post exchanges and Stateside level facilities. 
We just had a small compound with a commissary, OC, 4-lane bowling alley, and a snack bar.

Edited by Armybrat

22 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

That beats the WW2 era anti-aircraft battery next to our Tianmu neighborhood outside Taipei in 1957. 
It wasn’t to protect our US military dependent housing, but it defended one of the air approaches to Grass Mountain to the east. 
That was where Chiang Kai Shek’s presidential house was.

I hear a year or two after we left it was replaced by a Nike missile installation.

At least you guys down there had some big post exchanges and Stateside level facilities. 
We just had a small compound with a commissary, OC, 4-lane bowling alley, and a snack bar.

Try being an embassy kid in a civil war. We did not get shit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, elfenix said:

the-battle-t-shirt.master_500x750_crop_center.jpg.4eeae737eb3bffd9332cfb46450bd2c5.jpg

I still remember an episode, but can't remember which 'character/figure' goes to the armory at HQ.  He asks for ammo for target practice.  and the guy hands him a box of what are clearly drawn rifle shells.  Then he takes them and they suddenly turn into red laser beams.  A show filled with fascist dictators, mass violence, advanced weapons systems, tyrannical leaders, and just constant battles.  But in the end, I learned to walk my bike across an intersection, not ride it.  So it balances out for 7 year olds.  

• Hook 'Em 2