Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

11 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And Putin spent a lot of airtime telling Russians that Ukrainians are Russians by another mother.

Well, the world's most notorious serial killer was Ukranian. Surely, he was a Russian by another mother.

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Well, the world's most notorious serial killer was Ukranian. Surely, he was a Russian by another mother.

Actually, he was born in Russia and moved to Ukraine so

image.gif.453152169d330d22e7bc5808b52b24f4.gif

Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

Per Noelreports this is a ruzzian infantry dude's reaction to witnessing a ruzzian ammo storage get blown up by a Ukranian drone

image.thumb.png.f73dbadef5f50a163bd880f6c11ef218.png

here's a link in telgram, which will load in a browser

https://t.me/noel_reports/14596

Like all infantrymen, when shit happens to somebody else and he’s not responsible, he’s going to celebrate.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, BamaATL said:

YIkes

Russia is hammer fucked in this war. 

Fuck Putin for the idiotic decision making that is going to lead to nukes in the hands of a bunch of random assholes as Russia breaks apart into the many different nations it should be. 

• Hook 'Em 4

It’s tempting to help ramp people up on social media when they flip out over shit like this

https://www.norad.mil/Newsroom/Press-Releases/Article/3849184/norad-detects-tracks-and-intercepts-russian-and-prc-aircraft-operating-in-the-a/

NORAD detected, tracked, and intercepted two Russian TU-95 and two PRC H-6 military aircraft operating in the Alaska Air Defense Identification Zone (ADIZ) on July 24, 2024. NORAD fighter jets from the United States and Canada conducted the intercept.

The Russian and PRC aircraft remained in international airspace and did not enter American or Canadian sovereign airspace. This Russian and PRC activity in the Alaska ADIZ is not seen as a threat, and NORAD will continue to monitor competitor activity near North America and meet presence with presence.

An ADIZ begins where sovereign airspace ends and is a defined stretch of international airspace that requires the ready identification of all aircraft in the interest of national security.

NORAD is a unique bi-national command between the United States and Canada. NORAD employs a layered defense network of satellites, ground-based and airborne radars and fighter aircraft in seamless interoperability to detect and track aircraft and inform appropriate actions. NORAD remains ready to employ a number of response options in defense of North America.

————-

This happened thousands of times during the Cold War, and during the Cold War, the largest number of interceptions were of the TU-95s.

correll_bear_002.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

It’s tempting to help ramp people up on social media when they flip out over shit like this
https://www.norad.mil/Newsroom/Press-Releases/Article/3849184/norad-detects-tracks-and-intercepts-russian-and-prc-aircraft-operating-in-the-a/
NORAD detected, tracked, and intercepted two Russian TU-95 and two PRC H-6 military aircraft operating in the Alaska Air Defense Identification Zone (ADIZ) on July 24, 2024. NORAD fighter jets from the United States and Canada conducted the intercept.
The Russian and PRC aircraft remained in international airspace and did not enter American or Canadian sovereign airspace. This Russian and PRC activity in the Alaska ADIZ is not seen as a threat, and NORAD will continue to monitor competitor activity near North America and meet presence with presence.
An ADIZ begins where sovereign airspace ends and is a defined stretch of international airspace that requires the ready identification of all aircraft in the interest of national security.
NORAD is a unique bi-national command between the United States and Canada. NORAD employs a layered defense network of satellites, ground-based and airborne radars and fighter aircraft in seamless interoperability to detect and track aircraft and inform appropriate actions. NORAD remains ready to employ a number of response options in defense of North America.
————-
This happened thousands of times during the Cold War, and during the Cold War, the largest number of interceptions were of the TU-95s.
correll_bear_002.jpg

I don’t recall this happening with the PRC before though. I think that’s new.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Russians have to borrow aircraft from the PRC?

Unlikely. Seems more like PRC pushing the envelope again. There was a NYT opinion piece about confronting PRC today but I won’t post here. I’ll put it in the China thread. It was on point though.
  • Hook 'Em 4

It's pretty remarkable that the Russians can keep their Tu-95s air worthy.  I guess since it's the backbone of their strategic bombing force, they've kept too much theft and grift happening to them but I have to imagine that the ones they can send up have to be held together duct tape and spackle.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

For fucks sake Spain, Portugal is not going to invade and Morocco's Air Force is not that potent. Keep one or two for training and parades, send the rest to Ukraine and buy some new shit you cheap fucks.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

It's pretty remarkable that the Russians can keep their Tu-95s air worthy.  I guess since it's the backbone of their strategic bombing force, they've kept too much theft and grift happening to them but I have to imagine that the ones they can send up have to be held together duct tape and spackle.

Our B-52's are still rocking in the free world. Yeah, we upgrade ours, but the concept of the aircraft has not changed.

I think they are pretty simple machines a drunk Igor can still work the lathe to make parts and do not need imported components.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Plus they're so damned old it has to be difficult maintaining them.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Chad Fuck said:

Plus they're so damned old it has to be difficult maintaining them.

See Inka's post above.  Old tech actually has an advantage: parts are simple, can be fabricated or repaired with simple equipment.  You don't need advance machinery with .001 microns of tolerance to create or refurbish parts.  A drunk chainsmoking Yuri in a shop using 1950s gear can get that part fixed in a day.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

See Inka's post above.  Old tech actually has an advantage: parts are simple, can be fabricated or repaired with simple equipment.  You don't need advance machinery with .001 microns of tolerance to create or refurbish parts.  A drunk chainsmoking Yuri in a shop using 1950s gear can get that part fixed in a day.

Yeah, as a long time aviator from a family of aviators, I can tell you that while I appreciate conceptually what you are saying, the trail of blood spilled in aviation following this kind of thinking is long, wide and deep. A Tupolev is not a tractor, and the support/supply chain provided by Boeing (despite recent misses) is amazing.  Nevertheless, let's hope the Russians adhere to this concept.

• Hook 'Em 8

6 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Yeah, as a long time aviator from a family of aviators, I can tell you that while I appreciate conceptually what you are saying, the trail of blood spilled in aviation following this kind of thinking is long, wide and deep. A Tupolev is not a tractor, and the support/supply chain provided by Boeing (despite recent misses) is amazing.  Nevertheless, let's hope the Russians adhere to this concept.

Agree, but that is the US/NATO philosophy. This is not agreed to by the Russians.

My family has a lot of time on Russian aircraft (IL, AN and MI choppers). Maintenance is not a real concern to anyone but the passengers.

The aircraft stink like fuel and everyone is chain smoking.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

Agree, but that is the US/NATO philosophy. This is not agreed to by the Russians.

My family has a lot of time on Russian aircraft (IL, AN and MI choppers). Maintenance is not a real concern to anyone but the passengers.

Yep, the boy is enough of an aviation nerd that when we were traveling to and from a relatively backwater former Soviet Republic a few years ago and I was looking at flight options, he piped up and said "dad....don't book us on anything that flies Russian aircraft. Just don't."  I was already on that page, but appreciated the input.

FYI, we flew Ukraine International, which flew relatively new 737s.  Of course, not long after our trip, the Iranians shot down one of those exact birds.  Sheesh.

• Hook 'Em 4

32 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Probably because they used the B-29 as the inspiration for it and had captured Nazis design the engines.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I have no doubt of everything you are saying and that it is true.  

I also have no doubt that's why western aviation safety standards are higher, and less lethal, than eastern ones.  

It seems we are talking past one another.  I'm not trying to speak to the general attitudes of the maintenance crews towards flight safety.  Rather, I'm saying that it is well known that deferred, sub-par maintenance leads to higher rates of aviation accidents.  Even when you are dealing with a robustly designed system where the window of tolerances isn't narrow.  In short, even with simple aircraft systems, if you don't maintain them, the chance of them killing you goes up.  

• Hook 'Em 5

44 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Even when you are dealing with a robustly designed system where the window of tolerances isn't narrow.  In short, even with simple aircraft systems, if you don't maintain them, the chance of them killing you goes up.  

Even if you sell the hydraulic fluid to a friend of your brother, Boris, and replace it with used kitchen oil from Boris’s fried potato food truck, you have no peer reviewed studies to show that the plane will be hurt.

I think we need to stay away from your type of pure conjecture

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

A bit long but with some interesting insight about Russia's war on the west. A joint investigation by The Insider with Le Monde and Der Spiegel.

https://theins.ru/en/politics/273350

image.thumb.png.d9b8c295608e14c2e05080c842403f46.png

You'll never guess that CHEF worked for the FSB and had a serious problem with alcohol and revealed his plans to fuck up the Paris Olympics while out drinking one night in Bulgaria.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 minute ago, Chopper said:

A bit long but with some interesting insight about Russia's war on the west. A joint investigation by The Insider with Le Monde and Der Spiegel.

https://theins.ru/en/politics/273350

image.thumb.png.d9b8c295608e14c2e05080c842403f46.png

You'll never guess that CHEF worked for the FSB and had a serious problem with alcohol and revealed his plans to fuck up the Paris Olympics while out drinking one night in Bulgaria.

A Russian with a serious alcohol problem? I don't believe you. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

————-

correll_bear_002.jpg

"NORAD is a unique bi-national command between the United States and Canada. NORAD employs a layered defense network of satellites, ground-based and airborne radars and fighter aircraft in seamless interoperability to detect and track aircraft and inform appropriate actions. NORAD remains ready to employ a number of response options in defense of North America."

Forgot to mention one most important fact and duty....NORAD also tracks Santy Clause every year.

😃

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, BamaATL said:

I have many questions

From the comments…Dumb and Dumber, or Ivan and Ivan

"There is burning vehicle destroyed by mine."

"There is mine. I will go kick it."

"There is two mines."

"There is many mines here. We have one in a million chance to get through."

<long pause>

"So you're telling me there's a chance..."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

I don’t recall this happening with the PRC before though. I think that’s new.

First time off of Alaska I believe, but we e intercepted a lot over the last decade near our carriers.  Probably Winnie the Pooh giving Putin a freebie.  If shit started between Russia and the US, China is grabbing Outer Manchuria and other areas.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

This is purely theater/political in nature. If they are pulling their AD to the beachhead of the Kerch bridge, all they are doing is putting them into a position to pull them over the bridge to the other side of the border if Crimea starts to fall and attempt to keep them out of harms way.

There is no real functional AD design that would provide greater protection for the bridge by pulling the AD back to the bridge vs being used as an umbrella over the rest of Crimea. All this does is move them away from protecting the airfields and naval installations at Sevastapol while hoping these very expensive units can't get reached by HIMARS etc.  This also signals that Russia knows full well that they can't defend the Crimea from the air and all this is an attempt to keep the Kerch bridge open as a viable line of retreat for equipment at the cost of putting a serious strain on the ground defense in both the Kherson and Crimea Oblasts.

I would be real curious what the latest imagery shows regarding troop density and fortifications over the Kherson river and around Armiansk in particular.  If you are seeing a general withdrawal in the secondary units in the reserves on the Russian side of the Kherson River towards Armiansk and Melitopol, it is an obvious signal that the Russians believe that they cannot hold the Kherson Oblast when the F16s show up.

The problem with using natural barriers, like the Kherson River, to limit the Ukrainian advance is that it also means that you end up with a heavy density of troops massed along those barriers. If you look at the geography of the region, its a funnel in the Kherson Oblast that leads to a land bridge in Armiansk to be able to bring troops into Crimea proper from the north. There is really no other way, beyond a legitimate amphibious landing, to get to Crimea proper. On paper, this approach will tie up the Ukrainian forces and make it not worth the attrition needed to mount a breakthrough and in essence allow Russia to hold the Crimea. So Russia can pull back their troops and place and dig in a blocking force at Armiansk.

That is fine when you have enough AD to control the skies. Now you have lots of equipment that is vulnerable and no AD umbrella. So either you entrench them and hope for the best or pull them back to the next layer of the AD umbrella,. The problem with that is now the umbrella has moved down to Kerch as an epicenter and so you lose the benefit of geography if you want to pull your blocking force back under the AD umbrella. So in short, if they feel that they can't hold the banks of the Kherson, then they are going to have a slow delaying action back to Armiansk and leave their main blocking force to the mercy of the F16s and HIMARS.  To me, that is an untenable situation that will become a bloodbath.

good-great.gif

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Attack with what?  NATO would destroy any conventional weaponry they have left.  I guess they could go for a nuclear first-strike. 

I mentioned earlier, the Team Yankee and Third World War books written in the 80s - Hackett’s Third World War books (he was more of an editor and pulled them together) were actually written by NATO officers in the various branches relating to the chapters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Third_World_War_(Hackett_novels)

Much of the geopolitical backstory was off, but the point was that the Soviet Union was losing its relevancy and power.

Asia is flourishing economically as more Asian states, including North Korea and Vietnam, liberalize their economies (China in particular thrives thanks to Japanesepartnerships); India, a notable exception to Asia's economic prosperity, is disintegrating into smaller coalitions of mutually-hostile quasi-states; the Arab Cold War is intensifying as Egypt's new unstable left-wing government grapples with Saudi Arabia; South Africahas become a federation under the bantustan system but is under threat by Nigeria, which has committed troops to the South African Border War; Ethiopia has fragmented under the incompetent rule of the Derg as separatists, including Eritrea, gain power despite Eastern Bloc assistance; and the Soviet Union's sphere of influence is rapidly shrinking as nationalism and anti-Sovietism rise throughout the Warsaw Pact and even the Soviet republics.

Spoiler

Meanwhile, the Politburo, coming to the consensus that its economy is stagnating and the Soviet Armed Forces may not be able to retain technological parity with the West for much longer, decides that it is within their best interests to expand the Soviet sphere of influence by force through an invasion of Western Europe. Although resistance from NATO is guaranteed, the Politburo gambles on quickly defeating its European members before the United States can mount a counteroffensive, while also keeping neutral countriesout of the war and potentially causing a schism in Western Europe's defense by convincing France to stay out of the conflict. The Soviets deliberate three options:

To avoid mutual assured destruction, the Politburo ultimately decides on Variant C as their invasion strategy, albeit augmented with chemical weapon strikes in locations where their use is deemed effective.

The catalyst for conflict comes in July 1985, when a U.S. Marine Corps unit intervenes against a Soviet incursion into Yugoslavia. In response, the Warsaw Pact mobilizes and launches a full-scale invasion of Western Europe on 4 August 1985, the 71st anniversary of the start of World War I. Soviet forces advance on Europe from East Germany and manage to thrust through West Germanytowards the Rhine, while also landing forces in Norway and Turkey. Attacks are also carried out using strategic bombing campaigns, Soviet Navy firepower, and even space weapons.

However, the Soviet invasion stalls when stiff resistance from NATO halts Warsaw Pact forces along the German border at Krefeldand forces them out of the Netherlands. Compounding this setback, the Soviets fail to secure the neutrality of the other European states: Ireland sides with NATO under an agreement with France after Soviet missiles strike Shannon Airport for hosting French fighter jets and NATO anti-submarine aircraft, while Sweden mobilizes for war and assists Norway after the Soviet Air Forcesrepeatedly violate Swedish airspace. The Soviet Union also faces significant internal destabilization as mutinies, desertion, internal dissent, and demoralization plague the Warsaw Pact. Elsewhere in the world, the U.S. bombs Cuba, China invades Vietnam to overthrow its government, Egypt invades Libya, Japan seizes the Kuril Islands, the Frontline States and most other Soviet allies in Africa invade South Africa, and the Soviet Navy and its merchant fleet are neutralized.

As the war rapidly shifts against their favor, in an effort to prove they are still a force to be reckoned with, the Soviet Union launches a nuclear missile at Birmingham, United Kingdom, destroying it; in response, the U.S. Navy and Royal Navy launch a retaliatory nuclear strike against Minsk, Belarus, accelerating the Soviet Union's loss of control over the Warsaw Pact and their own republics. In Moscow, internal dissent reaches its peak when Soviet citizens protesting food shortages become convinced that a luxury hotel contains hoarded food for the Soviet elite and storm the building, only to find that the KGB murdered all of the patrons. The anti-government revolt rapidly swells as even the militsiya and Internal Troops side with the populace while political dissidents organize mass prison breaks, and the Soviet government loses control of the entire country outside of the Kremlin. A coup d'état launched by Ukrainian nationalists overthrows the Politburo and the Soviet Union collapses, ending World War III.

Arguably the moves against Georgia, Ukraine, and even Moldova were modern takes on Putin being afraid of the same things that were theorized in the 1980s.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Screenshot_20240725_183043_Threads.thumb.jpg.f594bb0b60480b21441a3e3c4cab68ce.jpg

Screenshot_20240725_183102_Threads.thumb.jpg.02b4eb832f019ab0aab8a12eacff6086.jpg

They looked in the couch cushions didn't they?

young-white-child-finding-money-in-a-sof

Why do I feel like all of that stuff we have in long-term storage that we've shipped them, that they simply changed the value of it?

It's not like there's a Kelley Blue Book for US Army vehicles that have been sitting in the desert for 15 or 20 years.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

They looked in the couch cushions didn't they?

young-white-child-finding-money-in-a-sof

Why do I feel like all of that stuff we have in long-term storage that we've shipped them, that they simply changed the value of it?

It's not like there's a Kelley Blue Book for US Army vehicles that have been sitting in the desert for 15 or 20 years.

You don't really think they pay $30,000 for a hammer, do you?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1