Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

I’m not going to look to confirm it, but others are claiming:  “The Russians just quartered a Ukrainian soldier and posted the picture on a Telegram channel with 220 000 followers”  There’s a shitload of blood and guts on Telegram, so not going to look through it.
Meanwhile, if you are wondering where the more modern Russian military hardware is, it’s in this commercial

Well, it seems only courteous for us to continue to send weaponry that can help those fellas meet god as soon as possible.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Putin and imperial Russia need WW3. They need this to be existential against adversaries they want to be comparable to. The west looking the other way as Russia sabotages shit around the world; arguing over what amounts to tiny fractions of our arsenal, much of it very old, but still just enough to support Ukraine and sustain what’s essentially a stalemate… is deeply embarrassing Russia. Pretty hard to inspire your population in the current situation. 

As frustrating as it can be to watch us ignore provocations and avoid escalation, it’s probably the correct move with Russia today.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, KYHorn said:

Major drone attack by Ukraine last night. This airfield supposedly housed the SU-34s that have been destroying Ukrainian positions with glide bombs 

Potentially a lot of planes there: 

IMG_20240803_092542.thumb.jpg.5b9fbd9cfbd6dd6beb13eb513c0a268f.jpg

Woah. That base is fucked. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MillerEP said:

https://www.threads.net/@ghostoflviv_/post/C-NvpjFPzXW?xmt=AQGz4Gn9jow9XzTnVL-KmNDs9MeJVIKVx6eS7RqaoH-y5g

Ukrainian defense forces successfully attacked the B-237 "Rostov-na-Donu" attack submarine in Sevastopol's port. As a result of the attack, the submarine sank.

^They legit sunk a submarine (it was already basically destroyed back in 2023, but still pretty funny)

So cue the Red October clip, only this time, he says, "You've lost the SAME submarine?"

10 hours ago, KYHorn said:

The Ukrainian General Staff issued the statement that - aside from a S-400 air defense battery - the Russian Improved-Kilo-Class submarine "Rostov-na-Donu" (B-237)  has been destroyed in the port of Russian-occupied Sevastopol.

Satellite pictures released by the TG channel "DniproOfficial" show that the cover of docking area, where the Rostov was recently docked, is littered with burn marks.

This submarine was struck last year in September by Ukrainian missiles and was heavily damaged. Russians have been trying to repair that submarine since then.

Source: Telegram / GeneralStaffZSU and DniproOfficial

IMG_1477.jpeg

• Haha 4

https://www.threads.net/@maks_24_ua/post/C-QbbSYqDCp/?xmt=AQGzuJCDeQOxA5LaYLTwdWcLG4NIiy7Y7azfRXM4lvJKxA

Aviation weapons warehouse destroyed by drones at Morozovsk airfield.

https://www.threads.net/@philo_of_alexan/post/C-QJ3aXJwRH/?xmt=AQGzYx7eP5QnHXMLb4WPRbBPzlGRN1A-xq_pJ9TzsVUPLA

Tsk tsk, more careless Russian smokers?

In the Rostov region in Russia, another lubricants storage facility is on fire. Initially, grass caught fire but spread to a nearby plant and lubricants storage.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

12 hours ago, MillerEP said:

https://www.threads.net/@nickmelnick.osint/post/C-QPEnao9Ox/?xmt=AQGzSb9925vAPGlAJtcTwqnp3t56HBZtoA4vldPhuUtdPw

emoji298.png️Zelenskyy displayed the first Ukrainian F-16 equipped with AIM-9M and AMRAAM 120C air-to-air missiles.

emoji1666.pngHe also thanked the USA, Denmark, the Netherlands, and everyone else involved in the transfer of these fighter jets.

It may be dated, and it sure as shit ain't stealthy, but got dam the Viper/Fighting Falcon is still a beautiful bird.

maxresdefault.jpg

(NOTE: This is a rendering, but I love the newer variant with the leading edge flaps and the mottled camo livery.)

Edited by Braff Zacklin
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

12 minutes ago, PTINS said:

From the link ...

Somebody leaked footages of the Russian submarine “Rostov on Don”, which got hit by Ukrainian missiles (likely Stormshadow). The bow of the submarine received a direct hit. Additionally, there is an impact at the starboard side. You can strike this ship from the list.

Yeah, I know, "it'll buff out."

image.png.6afda4bee7f00f0d99215a9fbb1c6807.pngimage.png.c7855461b5326a7eca8851c898cde977.png   

It looks like the Russkie's like to store their ordinance where it's convenient ... , for them and Ukraine.

image.thumb.png.db5d61c79cd4ad4ea4945a91f6b1b5e0.png

Care to offer an opinion on what those tubes are, or were?

image.png.9b403b1a57222a1b306f4a30d3fd32c7.png

Perhaps those are their JDAM equivalents?  Assuming they aren't bombs, which I don't think they are, that might make some sense.  They attach those pre-flight, tow them to ordinance, and then take off?  

It still seems beyond stupid they just park their strategic bombers out in the open for commercial satellites to take GPS photos of them, but hey, keep it up Russia.  

Edited by BamaATL
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

1 minute ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

So basically a DIY thermobaric bomb?

Pretty much.  It's a good idea, at least to me, because you are taking two very stable things, plastic explosives and a hydrogen fuel cell, and combining them to make one hell of a bomb.  Basically, it's pretty safe to make for all involved, it's the shits for anyone on the receiving end.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I just kind of can't let this go.   How does a country that runs a fairly sophisticated network of spies that use seemingly somewhat effective trade craft do something this stupid?  Is it sheer arrogance or sheer stupidity?  Are they so accustomed to shit not working that they are surprised our stuff does work?  Complicated and sophisticated social media and political influence campaigns, check, inability to understand a satellite schedule, check.  The Ukrainians are actively being bombed by these bombers, and yet locating them is as simple as looking at publicly available photos, never mind what our black satellites would know.  They don't even need any of that apparently.  It's truly baffling.  

I'm glad they are this stupid or arrogant, but it's amazing nonetheless.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, BamaATL said:

I just kind of can't let this go.   How does a country that runs a fairly sophisticated network of spies that use seemingly somewhat effective trade craft do something this stupid?  Is it sheer arrogance or sheer stupidity?  Are they so accustomed to shit not working that they are surprised our stuff does work?  Complicated and sophisticated social media and political influence campaigns, check, inability to understand a satellite schedule, check.  The Ukrainians are actively being bombed by these bombers, and yet locating them is as simple as looking at publicly available photos, never mind what our black satellites would know.  They don't even need any of that apparently.  It's truly baffling.  

I'm glad they are this stupid or arrogant, but it's amazing nonetheless.  

I don't know the actual reasons, but one thing I'd point out is that what is rewarded in the military is staying in your lane, not showing too much initiative, and being ruthless. The FSB is not considered the same kind of potential threat to Putin's rule as the military. Not that people in the FSB and associated secret services are exempt from being culled, but it's possible to be promoted when conducting aspects of hybrid warfare in ways that initiative in the military is not. It is much safer to do what you're told and then be capable in finding a scapegoat when things go wrong than it is to change doctrine or advocate for a different plan of action because of serious concerns about capabilities - in this case the capability of defending the air field. 

The dynamics for handling the military change drastically when they're constantly seen as the greatest threat to the ruler's power. It's something we take for granted in this country in ways we really shouldn't. 

• Hook 'Em 4

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's a couple of things, but arrogance is probably at the top - they believed they'd be in Kiev within a month.

Since the Cold War ended, they knew that unless they attacked us, they would never have to actually fight a near-peer - China and NATO aren't going to fuck around and invade, because nukes. As a result, they never felt the need to build up airfield protection like we do when we deploy overseas (or even have many of their strategic airfields located in the middle of the country like the US does).  

If you know NATO won't attack you without cause, and you used to rule over the neighboring countries and you kept them down (and took their nukes), it's pretty easy to get a superiority complex and feel pretty infallible when it comes to your neighbors- after all, what kind of threat does an ant present to you?  

And somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they never built up the kind of air-to-air refueling system the US did (or rather the quantity), so it's not that easy for them to cycle aircraft in and out of the theater from airbases in the middle of Russia - some pretty long distances are involved if they were bombing from Siberia.  Given their corruption issues, they probably have a lot fewer tankers in the air than what's listed on paper. We think nothing of staging aircraft out of Diego Garcia and attacking places in Iraq and Afghanistan, and if we were to fight Mexico, we aren't going to need to station our aircraft near the border (nor would we be that ignorant)- we have plenty of bases deep in the US (Nevada/Utah over to North Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, etc.) because we have a system to keep them refueled on their way to and from the targets in Mexico.

Jump back to corruption - even if they allocated money for better airfield construction, we know they skimped at some point because it's Russia - if money was allocated for concrete revetments, you know they used dirt, etc.  If money was allocated for 10 air defense systems around an airfield, they probably got 5-6 systems, etc.

Finally, prior to 2022, Ukraine had nothing that could wreck their air defenses and leave them vulnerable, and then hit those airfields. Outside of the drones from Iran, and the golfcarts from Ali Babba, Russia is still fighting with the same army it had in 2022, just with a massive loss of institutional knowledge due to deaths and officer and NCO shortages.

The Soviet Union always had issues with any element of projection of power. Their biggest source was communist revolutionaries battling against incumbent, often western facing, authoritarian leadership of one kind or another. Mostly colonial occupation, but not necessarily. Their navy always had serious issues projecting competent power even at the height of the Soviet military. Their air force was designed for Eastern Europe, not projection to far away places. They heavily relied on multiple warhead ICBMs, in large part because of the cost effectiveness. Their ability to attack the continental United States with bombers was always virtually nonexistent. Their biggest successes in projecting power were the rise of Castro in Cuba, the support for various movements in Africa, the establishment of a naval support center in Syria (later upgraded to a base), and then, of course, the dominance of Eastern Europe following WWII. The biggest threat from the USSR militarily always came in the form of a massive invasion of Europe. There wasn't another theater where they were ever any real threat. 

Something similar could be said about China. I don't know if that changes. They're trying to change it. But I don't think it's changed, yet. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, PTINS said:

Their arrogance gave them a false sense of air defense capabilities.  We mirrored similar beliefs in those capabilities until ~ 892 days ago).  It still boggles my mind how much we (the Royal 'we") overvalued Russia's military capabilities until 2022.

*raises hand*

Guilty as charged.

• Hook 'Em 2