Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

Blame the celis.

To bring it back on topic, I think I got it from wearing wet boots for a week in a monsooned-out Guard drill. At one point we were camped on top of our M113s trying to dry our rotting chigger-motel bodies in an hour of sunshine.

Back to thread: Who thinks

A. Ukrainians pull back bc it was basically a raid

B. Ukrainians will let Russians assemble to counterattack, then blow in from both flanks with more stuff to encircle them

C. Ukrainians will hold center, and attack on the left to overrun Belarus

D. Something else (say what it is)

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

To bring it back on topic, I think I got it from wearing wet boots for a week in a monsooned-out Guard drill. At one point we were camped on top of our M113s trying to dry our rotting chigger-motel bodies in an hour of sunshine.

B. Ukrainians will let Russians assemble to counterattack, then blow in from both flanks with more stuff to encircle them

Sun Tzu wasn't a fan of pincer moves. He believed when the enemy was encircled that it would fight harder. Instead, he preferred to let the enemy think there was an avenue for escape and then when the enemy was retreating he would hit it from the sides.

Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

15 minutes ago, Bevo said:

He believed when the enemy was encircled that it would fight harder. Instead, he preferred to let the enemy think there was an avenue for escape and then when the enemy was retreating he would hit it from the sides.

Applies equally to college student - those little shits will fight like hell if they think they are trapped.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Take what they can before Russian reinforcements arrive.  Hold what they can when they do.  Force Russia to level their OWN cities with glide bombs and arty.

When the fight gets too big, just sneak back to Ukraine.  And look for the next soft spot to invade.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

The tactical situation is fascinating, but what stands out to me is a public relations standpoint of seeing Ukraine attack Russia. First, the Chef, and now the Ukrainians show how easy it is.

The contract with Putin in Russian citizens is that they will put up with a whole lot, but it is absolutely essential that he provides security. If he can’t do that, then he’s not feared - and if he’s not feared, he’s no longer going to be in Power.

I wonder if the thought is, preparing an offensive against the Russian fortified lines has proven incredibly difficult (at least within Ukraine), especially given the mine fields.  By advancing here, where there don't appear to be dense mine fields, the Ukrainians felt they could capture significant territory, and perhaps get Russia to pull men and material from the Karkhiv front?  Additionally, if they can manage to hold it for any amount of time, it thins Russian resources that can be diverted to Ukraine.  So is this a start of a one-two counter punch sequence?  If they detect any sort of troop movement in the Karkhiv front to reinforce Kursk, do they then make a move there as well.  If they can take an hold territory, quite frankly I think that's smart, because at the end of the day, that's a real bargaining chip to get back at least some of their territory if this enters some sort of mediation.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Applies equally to college student - those little shits will fight like hell if they think they are trapped.

For sure, that's why you have to give the hard tests before the last drop date. Afterwards, and those little shits will be lined up outside your door.

• Haha 4

Another thing to consider, I read the other day that there were intercepted calls from the Russian Railroad honchos which indicated that they were concerned about a serious shutdown of the system due to, and I promise I'm not making this up, ball bearings (cue Fletch).  Another thought may well be that by doing this, it will further exhaust an already extremely strained Russian logistics system.   Basically, they may well have Intel that Russia has no real meaningful way to respond to this incursion, beyond air power, at least not in any meaningful quick way.  Given that Russian pilots are terrified of getting anywhere near the Ukrainians due to hand held anti-air, that may well be moot as well.  In an effort to bolster or even rally a defense for Kursk, the Russians may well completely starve other areas of ammo, food, etc. 

Someone mentioned Sun Tzu above, and one thing he was big on fighting on the ground you want to fight on (classification of terrain, I believe he called it).   

• Hook 'Em 4

32 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Another thing to consider, I read the other day that there were intercepted calls from the Russian Railroad honchos which indicated that they were concerned about a serious shutdown of the system due to, and I promise I'm not making this up, ball bearings (cue Fletch).  Another thought may well be that by doing this, it will further exhaust an already extremely strained Russian logistics system.   Basically, they may well have Intel that Russia has no real meaningful way to respond to this incursion, beyond air power, at least not in any meaningful quick way.  Given that Russian pilots are terrified of getting anywhere near the Ukrainians due to hand held anti-air, that may well be moot as well.  In an effort to bolster or even rally a defense for Kursk, the Russians may well completely starve other areas of ammo, food, etc. 

Someone mentioned Sun Tzu above, and one thing he was big on fighting on the ground you want to fight on (classification of terrain, I believe he called it).   

Iirc the ball bearing supply problem was especially affecting the locomotives they’re so dependent on for moving materiel.  Friggen Russia, in 2024, can’t even make a goddamn steel bearing.

ETA

That’s a bit of a problem but at least we have friends (Mexico) who will sell us good bearings.

Edited by Parliament
  • Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

I don't think it's a "raid."  I think it's more what you would describe as a "reconnaissance-in-force."  It seems more designed to obtain information on Russian dispositions and reaction as a prelude to potential future offensive operations than a mere raid would be.

I also can't help but think that it's an effort to draw Russia's ground-attack aircraft into battle on a predictable front for the Ukrainians to test out the air-to-air capabilities of their new F-16s.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I don't think it's a "raid."  I think it's more what you would describe as a "reconnaissance-in-force."  It seems more designed to obtain information on Russian dispositions and reaction as a prelude to potential future offensive operations than a mere raid would be.
I also can't help but think that it's an effort to draw Russia's ground-attack aircraft into battle on a predictable front for the Ukrainians to test out the air-to-air capabilities of their new F-16s.

Yes.

The REAL invasion is coming at Pas de Calais!

“Go where they aren’t” seems like a good play.
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Drool 1

I think it is pretty clear that Russia is solidly fucked at this point, and there is basically nothing that could happen from this point forward that will ever save face and make up for what has happened already. Even if Ukraine withdrew all forces right now, this is a devastating blow to Putin.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I think it is pretty clear that Russia is solidly fucked at this point, and there is basically nothing that could happen from this point forward that will ever save face and make up for what has happened already. Even if Ukraine withdrew all forces right now, this is a devastating blow to Putin.

That's what we thought when the chef made his Moscow thunder run too, but Vlad still hung on.  I mean, I want him gone as well, and this is a very weak look for a supposed tough guy.  However, he's shown remarkable staying power.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Bout a hundred in that first pic

And there’s no way any of them are going to want to be released back to Russia - any border guards released back to Russia will be blamed and sent to the front lines…..which now appear to be the Russian border,

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Bout a hundred in that first pic

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

And there’s no way any of them are going to want to be released back to Russia - any border guards released back to Russia will be blamed and sent to the front lines…..which now appear to be the Russian border,

you two both realize thats a 1991 pic showing Iraqi prisoners, right?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

24 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And there’s no way any of them are going to want to be released back to Russia - any border guards released back to Russia will be blamed and sent to the front lines…..which now appear to be far inside the Russian border,

fify

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

25 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

No - Why the hell did they post it and talk about not being able to transport them all?

3 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

A bit of wish casting here, but if ever there was a perfect time for a Kerch Bridge demolition to happen, this would be it.  

And more.  Clearly there aren't enough Russian troops to protect their borders.  So do they pull them from the other areas of operation and make those spots vulnerable to Ukrainian penetration?  Or take them from somewhere else within Russia itself?  The border with China, etc. and make themselves vulnerable there?

It's a great move by Ukraine.  

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

No - Why the hell did they post it and talk about not being able to transport them all?

Two different posts. The Iraq pic was just to illustrate that he had a similar problem (too many prisoners) in Iraq. 

27 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Yeah, I assumed that was the point of him saying he was a Gulf War vet plus the desert/clouds of smoke.

But there was also video of about a hundred or so Russian POWs a few posts up.

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

We had problems transporting Iraqi POWs because they gave up in such large numbers, and did so quickly.  There were Iraqis surrendering to Apache gunships (which, to be fair, I would if I was in their situation).

Ukrainians moving that fast into Russia have the same problem, and they can’t risk freeing them.

• Hook 'Em 4

14 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

And more.  Clearly there aren't enough Russian troops to protect their borders.  So do they pull them from the other areas of operation and make those spots vulnerable to Ukrainian penetration?  Or take them from somewhere else within Russia itself?  The border with China, etc. and make themselves vulnerable there?

It's a great move by Ukraine.  

Giant game of whack-a-mole?  Advance in the opposite direction as troops approach, then have other units do the same elsewhere?

• Hook 'Em 3