Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

5 hours ago, PTINS said:

I was wondering, "How far away can an F-16 launch a missile? , and Voilà..., the answer magically appears.

The AGM-158 JASSM-ER (Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missile-Extended Range) has a range of over 575 miles, and carries a 1,000 pound warhead.

The US, Poland & Finland already have these in hand, I think.

image.thumb.png.bd1196f506f92a1c649cf780471f498c.png

Russia built 497 TU-22 variants, with the first flight in 1969, and they still have ~ 55 in service. (55/497, 11%). I think this is #4 or 5 they have lost (by Ukraine, or crashed) since the SMO begin.  They are definitely a finite resource, one that has had operational issues since it was introduced. Russia only keeps these at 3 bases, 2 near Moscow and one in Irkutsk, near Mongolia.

For comparison, the US built 102 B52-H, entered service in 1961, and still have 76 in service (~ 75%).

Well OK, then.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Reports of explosions in Kerch, apparently the ferry landing.  Taking that out of commission would, even if temporary would make the bridge the only viable entry point to Crimea at the moment. 

It’s also going to freak the Russians out into thinking the Ukrainians drew Russian troops towards Kursk so they could move on Crimea.

I’m loving the Humvees in Russia. I used to despise the, but they are doing their thing and I think that’s awesome.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

Pretty sobering article from the WSJ this morning.

Spoiler

NEAR KRASNOHORIVKA, Ukraine—As Ukrainian troops poured into Russia’s Kursk region last week, five Russian assault troops on motorbikes were zipping toward Ukraine’s front line hundreds of miles to the east.

Two of the bikers were gunned down. Another turned back and fled. But the last two escaped into the trees, looking for a place to hunker down and await reinforcements.

This is one of the tactics Russia is using to take advantage of its vastly larger number of troops in the Donetsk region of eastern Ukraine, Russia’s primary target and the site of intensified assaults this week despite Ukraine’s incursion into Russia. Ukraine’s threadbare troops are struggling to hold them back.

Ukraine’s Kursk operation has embarrassed Russian President Vladimir Putin and given Kyiv the tactical initiative in one area for the first time in nearly a year. But it transferred troops and weapons from its already-creaking front lines to pull it off, a gamble that risks making a bad situation worse.

“We don’t have enough people to do our job properly,” said the commander of the 21st Battalion of the Separate Presidential Brigade, which faced the Russian assault last week at the edge of the contested town of Krasnohorivka.

Russian forces have gained territory at a faster rate this summer than at any point since the first weeks of the war and are now pushing toward the logistical hub of Pokrovsk. For Ukraine, losing Pokrovsk would sever a vital artery supplying troops fighting to the northeast, including in the city of Chasiv Yar, which lies on heights that hold the key to controlling the region. On Thursday, officials in Pokrovsk began urging civilians to evacuate.

• Rage+1 7

“Regarding the situation at the front: I’m watching closely. I consider the Ukrainian strike in the Kursk region to be a distraction. We should expect the second - the main one, in which they will mainly use their remaining reserves and aviation (F-16). Most likely in the Crimean direction"

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

“Regarding the situation at the front: I’m watching closely. I consider the Ukrainian strike in the Kursk region to be a distraction. We should expect the second - the main one, in which they will mainly use their remaining reserves and aviation (F-16). Most likely in the Crimean direction"

Yep--the main blow is definitely coming in the Pas-de-Calais direction.  I still consider the strike in the Normandy region to be a distraction.

Much more soberly, I'm really worried that this offensive into Kursk has the whiff of Operation Michael in the Spring of 1918.  It just feels like it might be a last throw of the dice while there are still dice to throw.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Much more soberly, I'm really worried that this offensive into Kursk has the whiff of Operation Michael in the Spring of 1918.  

Explain this to me like I was a finance major.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KYHorn said:

GTA: Russia

"... enemy equipment."

the taking of the tank is cool... but there sure are a fuckload of english signs in a Russian town near the border of Ukraine.   Gadget repair, beauty salon and while I realize its an internationally accepted sign... seeing the red stop sign was a bit bizarre considering it was the old border checkpoint from Russia into Ukraine.

https://www.threads.net/@nickmelnick.osint/post/C-fVtDBIKXU?xmt=AQGzeMXAzb7FMEOV4HT0GwyjunQySME3qB7UukaeHkNuFA

️Early this morning, a Russian Ka-52 attack helicopter was shot down in the Kursk region using a portable air defense system.
👌This information has been confirmed by the overwhelming majority of Russian military correspondents and former pilots. All of them have publicly expressed condolences to the families of the deceased pilots.

https://www.threads.net/@mx_ukr/post/C-u9hFQpTcY?xmt=AQGzeMXAzb7FMEOV4HT0GwyjunQySME3qB7UukaeHkNuFA

🐷 never learn…
Another convoy ambushed.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

https://www.threads.net/@mx_ukr/post/C-ujIGMpxTH/?xmt=AQGz-d4hB5MUaalh3d4tnd6VvAFwOozdU12E-JVDTB6dYQ

Leech ferry port

https://www.threads.net/@meanwhile_in_ua/post/C-qR8uiOEpO/?xmt=AQGzJFOBfeRP_WE7TBayGSXzc--exU-49JpQNAVtqU3mHA

The Ukrainian Armed Forces have announced that they have captured a complete electronic russian ‘Volnorez’ drone jamming kit near Kursk, along with all technical documentation

^this is what that other article was referring to

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

Much more soberly, I'm really worried that this offensive into Kursk has the whiff of Operation Michael in the Spring of 1918.  It just feels like it might be a last throw of the dice while there are still dice to throw.

Yeah, I'm still wondering what the fuck the end game is here?

I'm not so sure the WSJ is the best source of info on this.  Yes, trading land in Donetsk isn't ultimately a good thing, nor is the appearance of a retreat, however, if you read between the lines there are a lot of potential advantages here.  
Pulling the Russians forward and out of entrenched positions actually makes them more vulnerable than before.  It stretches their already piss poor logistics.  Plus rather than being in concrete bunkers, they find themselves sitting in desolate fields, which by the way they destroyed with their artillery (no cover).  In this war, if you find yourself standing in an open field, there is a good chance you have but minutes to live.  Plus, the ground they are trading quite frankly is destroyed and mined.  There is a great chance the Russians will blow themselves up with their own minefields.  
Yes they are trading ground, but it's being done in a tactical manner.  To put it in football terms, you are actively encouraging the Russians to out kick their own coverage.  It should come as no surprise the WSJ found a military member willing to question the strategy, however, one must also concede that there is a good chance this is subterfuge.  

I know we count down to football kickoff here on the Surl. I do wonder if Ukraine has a countdown to winter in mind. The muddy season is soon right?
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Ukraine is at least going to hold this area into next year.  

The civilians that stayed better gtfo and into Ukraine before Vlad levels their homes to save them.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

It's no Kursk offensive by the AFU, but it's interesting and going to further constrain russia now that China is no longer processing russian payments

https://www.businessinsider.com/russia-economy-all-china-banks-refuse-yuan-ruble-transfers-sanctions-2024-8

Sanctions are working, and their loopholes are slowing getting closed off

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1937097/russia-commander-vladimir-putin-removal-kremlin-wagner

The head of a Russian private militia has called on the army to overthrow Vladimir Putin in what is potentially shaping up to be the biggest threat of revolt the Kremlin has faced since the Wagner mutiny last year.

Georgy Zakrevsky is the founder of the Paladin PMC, one of many shadowy military groups like the former Wagner militia, that are loosely linked to the Kremlin.

The private military company (PMC) has around 300 members and has fought in wars around the world, including in Syria and Africa.

Zakrevsky launched a blistering attack on the Russian president during a video recording in which he blamed all the military failures in Ukraine on Putin personally.

Russia

Georgy Zakrevsky is the founder of the Paladin PMC (Image: Telegram)

He also went on to accuse Putin of causing all of Russia's economic and social ills, as he urged the military to rise up and free the country from the tyrant's rule.

"Our country is not just on the brink of disaster or already right next to it, our country is already in trouble - in big trouble," he said.

"Drones are flying all over central Russia, right up to Moscow and St. Petersburg. They even attacked the Kremlin.

"Our Black Sea fleet is being pushed out. It's being pushed out as if we are not a great power with a great fleet, but some third-rate country.

"Our aviation is practically not working because it is also being pushed out. We are standing in the same positions that we took more than two years ago, and partly in those to which we retreated.

"The population is dying out, becoming impoverished, drinking itself to death - no one cares.

"All they have time to do is bring in migrants. And all this was done by the so-called 'president' - 'The Great' Putin."

The video has been extensively distributed among the Russian army and clearly presents an alarming threat to the Kremlin.

Last June, the Wagner boss Yevgeny Prigozhin launched a stunning revolt against Putin, that saw his troop march on Moscow in a lightening attack.

Russia

A fighter from the Paladin PMC (Image: PMC Paladin)

At the last moment Prigozhn appeared to get cold feet and called off his mutiny. He died in an air crash almost two months later in August.

Zakrevsky's call to arms comes in the wake of a devastating Ukrainian incursion into Russian territory, that has seen Kyiv's army seize around 800 square miles of enemy land.

The Russian army has struggled to contain the attack, which threatens to undermine Putin's political position and hold on power.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1