Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

2 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

It’s wild how conventional warfare it’s being completely revised in real time.  The rise of drones, loss of relevance of main battle tanks, and change in artillery spotting and types.  It’s hyperbole, but it’s really revolutionary.  I would be shocked if there aren’t major doctrine changes in terms of our military composition for future land warfare coming out of this conflict.

There are changes coming. The US has been watching and learning.  

I know it’s Task and Purpose and he can meander, but he’s got some examples 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, TeeDubya said:

I’m oddly (and pleasantly) surprised that a military culture who watched the western bloc emphasize mobile, nimble war-making for 70 years is waging war in the opposite manner. 
The Russian military have reinforced their military even deeper into a top-down, rather inefficient hierarchy even while watching the remarkable success of maneuver warfare demonstrated by Desert Storm.  They’ve had plenty of time, resources, and motivation to become more effective, but have not.

in particular, there seems to be zero emphasis from the Russians on the principles of surprise, morale, flexibility, sustainability, multi-level command cooperation or empowerment to make small group decisions.

As a point of discussion, how does the Russian societal and leadership culture keep the Russian military from evolving?  

-How much is it affected by the culture of corruption?  (I saw my predecessors game the system for personal gain, now it’s MY turn)

-Is there truly a technological use/development divide?

-are their nuclear forces as screwed up as their conventional military?

Good Lord, you guys.  How many times do I need to explain this?  Russia = Aggy = Russia

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

Duda: 
- If it happens that Russian forces are leaving Ukraine, I'll be the first to call Zelensky and ask him not to bomb them and just let them go home instead, leave them be.

Zelensky:
- But what if my phone line is busy?

The comedian never leaves that guy and I’m here for it. Maintaining a sense of humor when he could easily get bogged down the in human tragedy playing out is just another reason to like this guy.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Awkward The Office GIF

The man who authorised the use of his territory to invade Ukraine towards Kyiv in 2022 "congratulates" Ukraine on its Independence Day:

"The Belarusian land has always treated the warm-hearted and hardworking people of Ukraine with special respect and warmth. For a long time, our nations found strength in unity, shared joy and sorrow, shelter and bread, overcame adversity together and were proud of their successes. We are united not only by a common destiny and family ties, but also by the desire to be friends and get along with our neighbors"

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 4

12 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

This is how you get Gen-Z on board.  Steam achievements (IYKYK)

Robert Magyar reveals details of a new program for Ukrainian drone pilots that offers financial rewards for hitting specific targets. The program also allows pilots to accumulate points, which can be converted into drone equipment for their units. The image shows a T-90 tank, which would earn the soldier who destroyed it a reward of 400,000 UAH (£7,500).

GVs2HL6WcAAcGe_?format=png&name=large

Outsource it. Adopt a unit, etc.

"Johnny, turn off that playstation and get ready for bed/."

But mom, I am tracking a russian T-34. They get extra points tonight."

"Well ok then, but no more hunting tonight after that Mister."

"OK Mom." Johnny laughs, mom does not know he was issued a wireless remote from UA24 and can play from under his sheets.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Here's politico.eu on the new rocket drone

Ukraine claims launch of home-made ‘Palyanytsia’ drone missile at Russia

Kyiv hasn’t released details on the new weapon, but an official said the rocket drone is a form of high-speed precision-targeted projectile. 

August 24, 2024 5:09 pm CET
By Joshua Posaner

Ukraine says it has deployed a locally-made drone-missile weapon system against Russia for the first time, Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Saturday.

"The first and successful combat use of our new weapon took place today, a new class of weapon, the Ukrainian missile-drone Palyanytsia," Zelenskyy said during a speech to celebrate the country's Independence Day.

The word Palyanytsia refers to a type of rustic Ukrainian bread but it has also added symbolic significance because since the war started it has been used as a shibboleth to determine Ukrainians from Russians because of different pronunciation of the word.
Advertisement

"This is our new method of retaliation against the aggressor," Zelenskyy said of the weapon.

Officials have long called for western defense companies to help them produce modern arms inside Ukraine, with the likes of Germany's Rheinmetall and Norway's Nammo already agreeing to do so on armored vehicles and ammunition.

The Ukrainian military hasn't officially released details on the specs of the Palyanytsia, but the country's Minister for Strategic Industries, basically Ukraine's armaments production chief, Oleksandr Kamyshin, said Saturday that the rocket drone was a form of high-speed precision-targeted projectile.

“We have mortar drones, artillery drones, and now, we introduce a completely new class of weapon — rocket drones,” said Kamyshin on X. “The rocket drone ‘Palyanytsia’  was successfully used today, striking a military target in temporarily occupied territory.”

On Saturday, Russian authorities reported a massive explosion at an ammunition depot in the Voronezh region of country bordering Ukraine.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chopper said:

image.png.3b1d86c3ea1e3ea18d4738fbb698972e.png

image.thumb.png.a91376168cdf0022c91ec0005c6ce6df.png

this is from something called the Arabian Post. No idea of credibility.

French security forces, acting on a warrant issued by the Office for Minors, detained Durov as part of an ongoing investigation into allegations related to terrorism, drug trafficking, and money laundering.

The arrest follows mounting pressure from European law enforcement agencies over Telegram’s perceived lack of cooperation in combating criminal activities on its platform. Authorities have criticized Telegram for its minimal content moderation, arguing that this has allowed various illegal activities, including fraud and narcotics distribution, to flourish unchecked.

Durov, who holds both French and Russian citizenship, was accompanied by his bodyguard and an unidentified woman at the time of his arrest. The charges against him are currently under review, and further legal action is expected as the investigation progresses. The case has sparked widespread attention, as it raises questions about the responsibilities of tech companies in regulating content and cooperating with law enforcement.

The investigation has drawn international scrutiny, particularly regarding the implications for digital privacy and freedom of expression on messaging platforms like Telegram. Durov has been a vocal advocate for user privacy, often clashing with governments over the issue. His arrest could potentially set a precedent for how authorities handle similar cases involving tech executives and their platforms.

The case is ongoing, and French authorities have yet to release detailed information on the specific charges Durov may face. However, this development marks a significant escalation in the legal challenges facing Telegram and its controversial stance on user privacy versus public safety.

Edited by Chopper
addition of text
  • Hook 'Em 3

Ukraine is going to have an incredible defense industry when this is all over. The gear will be battle tested, incredibly cheap compared to stuff we build.

They can't be that far away from just dropping pallets of drones near the front line. When a observation drone spots something, an FPV operator sitting in a bunker somewhere could launch a drone from the pallet without any other humans in the loop. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Parliament said:

germanv1flyingbombbuzzbombvray3dmodel000

I think he died.

So, history lesson that may be well known but I just learned it when I saw one at the museum a few weeks ago. 

I guess the guidance on the V-1 was so poor that they began manufacturing them with a (very small) cockpit and had soldiers guide them most of the way in and then bail out to be collected later (yeah sure).  And it was like right in front of the jet intake. 

So, history lesson that may be well known but I just learned it when I saw one at the museum a few weeks ago. 

I guess the guidance on the V-1 was so poor that they began manufacturing them with a (very small) cockpit and had soldiers guide them most of the way in and then bail out to be collected later (yeah sure).  And it was like right in front of the jet intake. 

Only tested. They never used it.

Keep in mind, the V-1 is nascent stage guided bomb. While there were others (I’m looking at you Kettering aerial torpedo), this is really where the history of cruise missiles begin. So everything about it - including guidance - was super primitive. Especially by today’s standards.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Ukrainians came across an actual decently-equipped Russian squad (and took them out in the middle of a field). They had an actual military vehicle, had camouflaged it with something other than tree branches, and all of the soldiers had actual uniforms and full kit.

NSFW - gory

Hide contents

Nice Knife. Ruskie must have thought they were going to use it on him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

They had a good defense industry prior to 2014 when all of this started. As part of the Soviet Union, Ukraine was a key component in defense industry manufacturing. One of the issues for Putin when it became obvious he wasn't going to be able to get Ukraine completely under his thumb with Yanukovych as a president for life was the loss of Ukraine manufacturing. But a substantial amount of it was based in the Donbas, so it's complicated. 

In 2012 it was the 4th largest arms exporter in the world.

Here's the Wikipedia article about it. I apologize for not providing a more robust source, but this does give a good overview. 

Defense industry of Ukraine - Wikipedia

And a lot of what was made was given back to Russia under agreement. This includes some TU-160's. USSR's most modern bomber.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Keep in mind, the V-1 is nascent stage guided bomb. While there were others (I’m looking at you Kettering aerial torpedo), this is really where the history of cruise missiles begin. So everything about it - including guidance - was super primitive. Especially by today’s standards.

When we were living at Fort Leavenworth 1949-50, there was a V-1 “buzz bomb” on static display. We kids could crawl all over it like a piece of playground equipment.
Too bad the photo of me sitting on it was lost many decades ago.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, SeattleHorn said:

Ukraine is going to have an incredible defense industry when this is all over. The gear will be battle tested, incredibly cheap compared to stuff we build.

They can't be that far away from just dropping pallets of drones near the front line. When a observation drone spots something, an FPV operator sitting in a bunker somewhere could launch a drone from the pallet without any other humans in the loop. 

us big defense will step in asap

9 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Outsource it. Adopt a unit, etc.

"Johnny, turn off that playstation and get ready for bed/."

But mom, I am tracking a russian T-34. They get extra points tonight."

"Well ok then, but no more hunting tonight after that Mister."

"OK Mom." Johnny laughs, mom does not know he was issued a wireless remote from UA24 and can play from under his sheets.

pretty sure this is the plot to ender's game

(i thought that book was ridiculous until some anonymous asshole going by 'catturd' became a major political influencer)

Edited by elfenix
less cr but kinda still cr
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

pretty sure this is the plot to ender's game

(i thought that book was ridiculous until some anonymous asshole going by 'catturd' became a major political influencer)

The Last Star Fighter

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

7 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

4 hours ago, Armybrat said:

When we were living at Fort Leavenworth 1949-50, there was a V-1 “buzz bomb” on static display. We kids could crawl all over it like a piece of playground equipment.
Too bad the photo of me sitting on it was lost many decades ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fieseler_Fi_103R_Reichenberg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, SeattleHorn said:

Historically, Ukraine has done the heavy lifting of Russian/Soviet intellect and innovation since the Bolshevik Revolution...  It's no surprise they're much more creative and resourceful at tech developments in defence.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, TeeDubya said:

Historically, Ukraine has done the heavy lifting of Russian/Soviet intellect and innovation since the Bolshevik Revolution...  It's no surprise they're much more creative and resourceful at tech developments in defence.

Yeah, the engines roscosmos uses for its launches were made exclusively in Ukraine, as were almost all of the biggest hulls in the russian navy. Ukraine was very much the intellectual and industrial power house of the soviet union's mechanical might

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2