Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

Didn’t know they had crawfish in Ukraine 
IMG_2138.thumb.jpeg.5d3af952915aef42585f4ae14eda15fa.jpeg

Lots of Northern Europe does crawfish. Sweden LOVES them, they have big parties and everything. But it’s odd to me because 1) peak season for them is late summer (cold weather climate, takes longer for the crawfish to mature after winter dormancy), and 2) no freaking spice. They season the water with salt, beer, dill, and even some sugar. Dear god.
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Lots of Northern Europe does crawfish. Sweden LOVES them, they have big parties and everything. But it’s odd to me because 1) peak season for them is late summer (cold weather climate, takes longer for the crawfish to mature after winter dormancy), and 2) no freaking spice. They season the water with salt, beer, dill, and even some sugar. Dear god.

Next, you're going to tell us they even frickin' pickle the little suckers.

• Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, MagicSoccerSpray said:

Indubitably.

What hasn't been sold for profit by corrupt commanders has been slowly rusting and rotting away in silos.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

This is your chance! Just as Johnny Appleseed propagandized his beloved pomes throughout the Midwest, you could be the Johnny Crawfish of Northern Europe, spreading Cajun spice and seasonings to Old World palates.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The NY Times Magazine today had a very interesting (and lengthy) story about a Russian officer and how he deserted the Russian military.

Lots of interesting insights into the corruption of the military, how Russians think, and the just abject suckage of everything on the Russian side of the “Special Military Operation”.

If you have 30+ minutes it’s extremely insightful into how fucked up Russia is.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2024/09/20/magazine/ukraine-russia-war-deserter.html?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20240922&instance_id=134963&nl=the-morning&regi_id=126775420&segment_id=178500&te=1&user_id=ef676bb5d96b21e35fc214ee034066fa

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Left Coast said:

The NY Times Magazine today had a very interesting (and lengthy) story about a Russian officer and how he deserted the Russian military.

Lots of interesting insights into the corruption of the military, how Russians think, and the just abject suckage of everything on the Russian side of the “Special Military Operation”.

If you have 30+ minutes it’s extremely insightful into how fucked up Russia is.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2024/09/20/magazine/ukraine-russia-war-deserter.html?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20240922&instance_id=134963&nl=the-morning&regi_id=126775420&segment_id=178500&te=1&user_id=ef676bb5d96b21e35fc214ee034066fa

It's also in podcast format: 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-deserter-an-epic-story-of-love-and-war/id1767961533 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

It seems to me that that when we criticize Russians for not doing more, we do this seemingly without considering that our lives in a western country with western cultural values - and western protections from horrific government abuse - are completely foreign to the Russian people.

Russia made sure that the Russian helicopter pilot who defected to Ukraine was assassinated in Spain. It does not enter our minds that if some family member violates a law - that the state will take it out on the remaining family members as a means of dissuading other people not to break the law. Unthinkable to us, Russians do not even question this reality.

To some extent our right to criticize how Russians respond to the situation ignores the fact that we are free to do so in a manner that has no negative consequences for ourselves AND our families, let alone negative consequences for the rest of our lives - including prison or death. 

After reading the entire lengthy article I have to say I am no longer as ghoulishly happy seeing Russians chased and killed by drones as I was previously.   Don’t get me wrong, I agree the drones need to kill them, but I no longer think of every Russian soldier as some sort of mindless, murderer- rapist.  Many of them are absolutely victims too.  We grow up knowing that we have a right to protest and nothing will happen to us if we do.  All they know is that 99% of the time the state will win and will grind everything down that stands in the way of what the state wants.  

It strikes me as incredibly sad that centuries later, Russia is still a land governed by a Czar and ruthless Boyers, who get to terrorize and trample (and thus control) the continually beaten down serfs into a state of zombie-like compliance. 

It also strikes me that such a land, with such a government, and such a people, should not be permitted to exist if the leaders of that dysfunctional society possess nuclear weapons.

Notably, russias state disinformation efforts towards the US were primarily aimed at ramping up voter apathy and the feeling of being unable to affect any change. Along with many messages of the US constantly being under threat of outside invaders seeking to destroy our way of life - one of the main mobilization messages we hear out of russia nowadays. 

It's gonna be something else we have a bit more time separating historians and anthropologists from the active measures by russia, and we really get a full idea of the depth and breadth of their fuckeries

• Hook 'Em 1

Notably, russias state disinformation efforts towards the US were primarily aimed at ramping up voter apathy and the feeling of being unable to affect any change. Along with many messages of the US constantly being under threat of outside invaders seeking to destroy our way of life - one of the main mobilization messages we hear out of russia nowadays. 
It's gonna be something else we have a bit more time separating historians and anthropologists from the active measures by russia, and we really get a full idea of the depth and breadth of their fuckeries

Or we could read Russian history. Say go back about 500+ years. The challenge would be to see when it was not fuckery. Sure. Certain degrees of fuckery. But fuckery nonetheless
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

After reading the entire lengthy article I have to say I am no longer as ghoulishly happy seeing Russians chased and killed by drones as I was previously.   Don’t get me wrong, I agree the drones need to kill them, but I no longer think of every Russian soldier as some sort of mindless, murderer- rapist.  Many of them are absolutely victims too.  We grow up knowing that we have a right to protest and nothing will happen to us if we do.  All they know is that 99% of the time the state will win and will grind everything down that stands in the way of what the state wants.  

It’s like the video of the drone operators released last week.  They got crosswise with their commander and were ordered into a meat wave assault (and died).

before they left on the assault, they recorded the video, but said how they would fulfill their duty, and not cause trouble….

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, TeeDubya said:

It’s like the video of the drone operators released last week.  They got crosswise with their commander and were ordered into a meat wave assault (and died).

before they left on the assault, they recorded the video, but said how they would fulfill their duty, and not cause trouble….

We can look at the history of Russia and point to all the bad it entails, which is all true, but we also have consider the here and now, as well the future; which is ultimately in the hands of the global community.  As it currently exists, Russia really isn't good at anything beyond exporting energy and to a much lesser extant raw materials.  Truth be told, they are completely dependent on the energy needs of the world in order for their current system to even work as badly as it does.  Without break thrus and investment in energy alternatives, we will continue to be at the peril of regimes like Russia, Venezuela, and many different bad actors in the Middle East (who are also overly dependent upon energy exportation), At the end of the day, energy independence isn't just critical for the United States, to be honest, it's critical for all the world's nations, as it provides a layer of stability and prevents bad actors to having access to as much wealth as they do now.  Whether each of us like it or not, whenever each of us fills up at the pump, or heats our houses, etc, we are all helping to prop up these sorts of regimes.  None of us would choose to do this, but at current, there aren't enough practical options available for us to choose not only on our own, but also collectively.  

You can add in the need for all this in an overall climate perspective, but I actually think the more pressing issue at the moment is to limit these sorts of bad actors from a seemingly unlimited piggy bank.  That isn't to say that the climate aspect of this isn't critical, it is to me, but right now that seems like sauce for the goose.  I do believe we are making headway on all this, and as it ultimately relates to the Russian people, the reality is, no matter the outcome of this conflict, the days of this model of "government" are numbered because eventually, like many other countries, they will find themselves without a chair when the music stops (relax Oil and Gas folks, it won't stop entirely, but change and slow).  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Indubitably.

What hasn't been sold for profit by corrupt commanders has been slowly rusting and rotting away in silos.

This is your chance! Just as Johnny Appleseed propagandized his beloved pomes throughout the Midwest, you could be the Johnny Crawfish of Northern Europe, spreading Cajun spice and seasonings to Old World palates.

As someone that attempted to bring the savory spices of Mexican food to Europe, I would advise against it. I was nearly arrested for war crimes against European buttholes. Apparently, telling them to eat ice cream to cool it off on the way out was not appreciated.

Edited by F250
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

https://www.threads.net/@24hoursofukraine/post/DAOpw-vNXvF?xmt=AQGzNmOnv3E9RtL8KSFdFjiX-9WDcVwXCUFAMfMyfOO16A

Fireeeeeeeeeee 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
russian city of Vladimir is on flames. One of russia's more expensive electric transmission hubs is located there, connecting Kallinin NPP to point east & Moscow.

https://www.threads.net/@noelreports/post/DAOOm8xtDRj?xmt=AQGzkSdGApWQUkP47MEWJN2pxlebbXuupYeR_MrQ3obyBw

Renewed clashes are reported in New-York, as Russians again try to push and take control over the town which was partially recaptured by the 12th Brigade Azov recently.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

As someone that attempted to bring the savory spices of Mexican food to Europe, I would advise against it. I was nearly arrested for war crimes against European buttholes. Apparently, telling them to eat ice cream to cool it off on the way out was not appreciated.

When my daughter cooked for her Swedish flatmates, some complained that the food was a touch spicy because she used onions.
ONIONS. Are too spicy. FFS.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

45 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I'd just like to see the US arm Ukraine to the teeth, allow them to take the kid gloves off in terms of striking into Russia with the weapons being provided, and allow them to win this war.

I'm not so sure that is what our leadership wants. Ukraine manpower is getting awfully low as we wait to provide jets and disallow our weapons or the UK's weapons from being used inside Russia. Moreover, the main reason the incursion into Russia was successful was because they kept it a secret from the West and the main reason the previous offensive was unsuccessful was because the West and Russia were well aware of where and when the attack would take place.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I think that is a nice way to think about things.

My way of thinking about things is there are always going to be murderous regimes. There were murderous regimes before fossil fuels gained any kind of importance. There are murderous regimes who gain prominence without exporting fossil fuels. If ever the global community finds an energy resource that creates independence from fossil fuels, there will still be murderous regimes. Heck, some people would argue the United States has been a murderous regime. 

To me history is about my values and way of life versus your's. Plenty of times that conflict has an existential nature. When it doesn't, it can be an eternal strife. The hope is that the strife can be contained to one that doesn't involve trying to eliminate the enemy from the face of the planet. For example, a conflict contained in the economic realm. Or Olympics and the World Cup. Or whatever. 

But there will always be people who feel a calling towards having power over others. Many of those people end up running countries. We're not going to end those aspirations, nor the success of the people who pursue them, by eliminating or seriously reducing fossil fuel as a source of income. There's nothing that says the United States won't be run by an authoritarian regime someday. I feel like we take our democracy for granted at times, when it's really more fragile than we choose to admit. 

That said, some cultures are petri dishes seemingly designed for a brutally repressive authoritarian regime to take root. Russia is probably Exhibit A for that. 

I don't think anything less than being conquered by another nation, a la Japan and Germany, could substantially change the mindset of enough of the Russian people to make a difference. The end of the Cold War certainly did nothing. 

Right now more than the end of fossil fuels as a substantial revenue source, I'd just like to see the US arm Ukraine to the teeth, allow them to take the kid gloves off in terms of striking into Russia with the weapons being provided, and allow them to win this war. Which they can do. Russia is demoralized, with a terrible infrastructure, a poorly run military, and a place where loyalty and a lack of threat for regime change takes precedence over competence. This is still very winnable if the support is there. My primary concern is and has always been the isolationist tendency for Americans not to actually give a shit for what is going on overseas, and how that plays out in politics. Much more so than the continued value of fossil fuels for Russia and Venezuela.

There are plenty of awful exploitative regimes that make money on fossil fuels that the US government supports. That's just how it is. But we have a chance to do the right thing in stark good and evil, black and white contrast. I hope we do more, and no more 6 month blocking of funds because a rabid minority won't allow a bill with overwhelming bipartisan support make it to the floor. 

I can agree with much of this, but with a caveat,  right now, we have Russia, who without the financial ability to do what they are doing, wouldn't have the means to wage war, at least certainly not on this scale.  It isn't that they are good having resources or even using them (I'm sure the oil and gas folks here can attest to that), it's that they happen to have it.  As a result, they've bought global influence, financed weaponry, and now are engaged in an awful pointless and cruel war.  If we weren't (and I mean we as a global we) unwittingly financing this for the past 30 plus years, quite frankly they wouldn't have the means, even if they had the will to do so.   Was any of this done during that time period with the world as complicit partners in all this, no, not at all.  However, when you spend like we have (again, the global we), rather than invest in internal options and alternatives, you find yourself potentially at the whim of someone like Putin.  

Competing for resources is always a thing, and there isn't anything to suggest that we are anywhere near the end of that.  However, having huge imbalances is what has lead us inexorably here, especially when there have always been alternatives available to us.  

It's going to take a long time to undo what has been done, no doubt about it.  If there is one thing I hope that is learned out of this entire mess, it's that if we ever see such a drastic imbalance (say for example Europe vs Russia in energy, I look at the US differently, because we are energy independent, and have been for a while) we need to recognize collectively that it's a recipe for trouble.  

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

When my daughter cooked for her Swedish flatmates, some complained that the food was a touch spicy because she used onions.
ONIONS. Are too spicy. FFS.

I used rather bland jalapenos and for the brave some chile piquin that I brought from my mom's garden.

This was me at the table when I realized their European guts were not accustomed to the heat and what would happen later.

Comedy Central Lol GIF

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

I'm not so sure that is what our leadership wants. Ukraine manpower is getting awfully low as we wait to provide jets and disallow our weapons or the UK's weapons from being used inside Russia. Moreover, the main reason the incursion into Russia was successful was because they kept it a secret from the West and the main reason the previous offensive was unsuccessful was because the West and Russia were well aware of where and when the attack would take place.

I feel like in the last half of the 20th century the Democratic party has a history of being concerned about escalation, and the Republican party has a history of going all in as much as possible. Currently I feel like the Democratic party is willing to help Ukraine, while there are substantial powerful influences in the Republican party that wants to hand over Crimea and the Donbas to Russia and be done with this thing already. The way the war has been prosecuted by the Democrats feels on par with the civilian oversight in other post WWII conflicts. That's not to say they haven't been right at times. But to me it feels like a consistent approach to conflict.

The main thing to me has been artillery. Not the only thing, but the main thing. That blockage for funding left the Ukrainian artillery holding their dicks in their hands, which was the primary contributor to Russian success. That was absolutely a minority of Republicans pretty much entirely responsible for that. 

I still feel like the previous offensive was experiencing startling success against entrenched positions given the complete lack of airpower, until the funding dried up. It wasn't dramatic success, but there was success. I think the expectations were way out of line in the first place. 

• Hook 'Em 5

9 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

I think that is a nice way to think about things.

My way of thinking about things is there are always going to be murderous regimes.

10 hours ago, BamaATL said:

We can look at the history of Russia and point to all the bad it entails, which is all true, but we also have consider the here and now, as well the future; which is ultimately in the hands of the global community

Both well-thought-out discourses.  Thank you….since the Slavic tribes, even before Kievan Rus’ 

8 hours ago, F250 said:

I used rather bland jalapenos and for the brave some chile piquin that I brought from my mom's garden.

This was me at the table when I realized their European guts were not accustomed to the heat and what would happen later.

B9958635-5249-4851-92B1-61FC305312D6-3265-0000077474DAABD7.jpeg

Edited by TeeDubya
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/22/2024 at 7:57 AM, BamaATL said:

Some visual evidence

Putin: “ We have to show the world and Ukraine that we meant business. I want a Sarmat test launch on the 20th.”

Scientist: “ Comrade President, that is just a week! We need more time to make sure we have a successful launch.  Things are very complicated.”

Putin: “Either the Sarmat flies on the 20th or you fly out a window…..”

probably

• Haha 3