Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

squirrel (david) has been talking about this being a trap. now the Russians are wondering why their advance has been so easy:

37 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

I too have been considering this. If there's one thing we've learned it's that the Ukes are some crafty bastards.

9 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

What came to my mind as well. Cut the supply lines, isolate troops, and cripple moral. Usually works if the flanking is successful.

Art of War

That’s what I’m thinking. We know the Russians are low on manpower based on the lack of response to Kursk, and if the Ukrainians pull a bunch of the Russian reserves inside of Russia into the Kursk region (not the conscripts, but regular army that are allowed to be deployed into Ukraine), what happens if they pull the Russians far enough into Ukraine and then just cut them off?  The Russians will have no reserves, and no way to move troops from up north down there.

I’m still stunned the Russians can’t muster a defense of Kursk.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

We are such shits.

So what would happen if, stick with me here, they move the missiles 500km closer before they launch? Got a lot of new territory in Kursk Oblast to play with.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

What came to my mind as well. Cut the supply lines, isolate troops, and cripple moral. Usually works if the flanking is successful.

Art of War

Feigned retreats and pincer maneuvers are more Mongol tactics than Chinese, moose out front and all that.  

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Yes, this sucks, but there are a lot more.  

image.thumb.png.83b3d49c62dfaa23cdeba3055cbf16d8.png

There are more out there, but Ukraine likely only had 6 aircraft available and about the same number of pilots. That number will go up, but not that quickly. They may only have a dozen airframes available by the end of the year. 

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The biggest loss here is the pilot.  There are plenty of aircraft to go around.  Ukraine only has so many qualified pilots.  That said, you can't deploy a combat resource and expect a zero loss rate.  This was going to happen.  It will happen several more times as well.

Yeah. It was. Sucks that it happened so soon. Unfortunately, intercepting missiles and drones isn't risk free. If the intercept is done with the Aim 9ms or even guns (these two options make the most sense from a monetary perspective), the intercepting aircraft has to get pretty close. There is definitely the risk of flying through the debris cloud, which seems like it may be a possibility for what happened here given the mission parameters. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I'm so hoping there is an army of robot dogs sleeping under piles of rubble just waiting for the Russians to push far enough so they can all wake up at once, shake the dirt off, and start chasing down Russians. 

If I'm retreating like this, I'm packing every building along the way with Semtex and wiring it radio detonate at the right times.  I'm killing as many as possible as they seek shelter.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

That’s what I’m thinking. We know the Russians are low on manpower based on the lack of response to Kursk, and if the Ukrainians pull a bunch of the Russian reserves inside of Russia into the Kursk region (not the conscripts, but regular army that are allowed to be deployed into Ukraine), what happens if they pull the Russians far enough into Ukraine and then just cut them off?

Cannae redux ??

Edited by Gatorubet
Dammit GOLL!!
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

It call comes down to idiotic command structure. An orc can't get a bottle of water without 10 levels of approval, only for it to be stolen at some point in the chain of command.

Also... Russia gonna Russia.

You want bottle of water? Smash store window.

Looted store is empty, and you still want water? Advance to next town.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 3

26 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Too much effort and too much of a risk to fail.  If I am Ukraine,  I am leaving fentanyl and poisoned vodka behind.   Also less messy and no UXO clean-up required.

I like that plan as well.  

4 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

That seems backwards. Shouldn't the bowl be what's blowing up and not the tank?

That's definitely how it'd go if I were using it ...

Some of us use the calling card of the upper decker.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 8/29/2024 at 9:47 AM, DigglerontheHoof said:

image.png.d0c0fd6b926f2fe1dd184f1e7f100ff4.png

Let's just hope Montgomersky isn't in charge on that northern side.

On 8/29/2024 at 9:47 AM, DigglerontheHoof said:

image.png.d0c0fd6b926f2fe1dd184f1e7f100ff4.png

Let's just hope Montgomersky isn't in charge on that northern side.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

Russian recruitment video comparing tough soldiers to scaredy-cat soy boys, avocado toast eaters, and banana smoothie drinkers who choose to stay at home. I have no idea why it's labeled mature or adult content.

This is where it gets good. From the comments:

From link below (definitely NSFW): https://x.com/bannedbyNAFO/status/1829533533779685576

image.thumb.png.4a2771a7b35a4eeef021dcf4f52d216e.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 3

On 8/29/2024 at 10:22 AM, atomheartbevo said:

That’s what I’m thinking. We know the Russians are low on manpower based on the lack of response to Kursk, and if the Ukrainians pull a bunch of the Russian reserves ... far enough into Ukraine and then just cut them off?  The Russians will have no reserves, and no way to move troops from up north down there.

On 8/29/2024 at 10:33 AM, BamaATL said:

Get the Russians to over-extend their advance, then have the mud hit, and destroy the supply lines, sounds like a pretty good plan.  

Many have commented on Russia's advance west of Donetsk towards Pokrovsk and the short/longer term possibilities. There's a lot of random data that supports a plan to trap and cutoff the Russian advance from their established base to the east.

Below is a google screen shot to add some color to the picture.

image.thumb.png.01cfbd6bab476ddceaa48006f268bed4.png

It's easy to see why it's called the mud season; there is not a normal river in this area, just a bunch of drainage areas/channels of sorts that eventually drain to larger ponds and lakes.    

Pokrovsk is the logistics hub, population ~ 60,000. Ocheretyne (what, where?) has a population ~ 3,500. There isn't much else out here, just a bunch of little villages and towns. The rail line between Donetsk and Pokrovsk is the main feature, traversing the high ground between the cities. The larger roads are shown, with smaller secondary and tertiary roads serving the area. 

Where the rail line makes a "dip" on the map west of "Ocher", the elevation drops from a ~750' plateau down to ~ 500' elevation. The area before and after Ocher is a very narrow corridor (1-3 miles wide) on the high ground between the various water channels. There is not an obvious railroad bridge west of Avdiivka.

If and when the railroad west of Avdiivka is out of service, getting supplies to anything west to there would be very difficult, just a bunch of smallish roads in well defined corridors, with a choke point ~10 miles long and about 1-2 miles wide, all within a few miles of Ukraine-Russia contact line. Spotting for field artillery from a lower ground elevation would be difficult, but with the drones available, or some of the F-16's screaming across the deck, "Fugget about it!

I'm betting Ukraine has a rail bridge party here sometime soon, as well as taking out the 3 or 4 bridges in Kurst that cuts off Belrogod and 10,000 square miles, and a few others here and there.  

Any guestimates on the number of Russian troops and equipment west of Ocher?

• Hook 'Em 2

September coup? Maybe Prigozhin is alive and hiding with Tupac. 

This may explain the Popov's arrest.

https://www.dagens.com/war/unconfirmed-reports-suggest-potential-wagner-coup-in-september

In recent weeks, rumors and speculation have surged regarding a potential coup in Russia, with the focus shifting to the Wagner Group, a private military company formerly led by Yevgeny Prigozhin.

Kremlin is Concerned

These claims, originating from the enigmatic social media profile General SVR, have yet to be confirmed but have sparked significant intrigue and concern.

According SE, General SVR claimed that former Wagner fighters are reportedly receiving mysterious directives urging them to be prepared for events in September. This has fueled speculation that a new uprising or significant political move could be imminent.

The profile, which purports to be run by former Russian intelligence agents, has not been independently verified, raising questions about its credibility.

The timing of these reports coincides with ongoing discussions within the Kremlin about Russia's involvement in Ukraine. The profile suggests that the Kremlin is increasingly concerned about the internal crisis and the possibility of a major shift in Russian military and political dynamics.

Could Still be Alive

Adding to the intrigue, there are renewed rumors that Yevgeny Prigozhin, who was thought to have died in a helicopter crash in August, might still be alive. Former Wagner members reportedly believe that Prigozhin could be orchestrating the recent signals and instructions from hiding.

This theory, if true, would suggest that Prigozhin remains a significant and active player in Russian politics and military affairs.

• Haha 6
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1