Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

37 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

IMG_2872.jpeg.2bb1b300d0e212b8300b858ec79b867b.jpeg

Yep, had absolutely nothing to do with our island hopping campaign, our absolute destruction of the Japanese Navy and Air Force, our complete and total air superiority.  Nope the Soviets, without a real navy to speak of at that point, or air power of any significance in the theater is what just turned the tide.  

Patton was an asshole, but he was always right, we should have just kept marching straight to Moscow.  It's a shame we lacked the political will to do it, the world would be a very different place today.  

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

17 hours ago, MagicSoccerSpray said:

I'm not EOD, but my understanding is it burns till it's out, and it only spreads based on what it has ignited. It's main point is that it is inextinguishable and burns/melts everything it contacts save concrete/ceramics.

I'm not either. And yeah, they both burn until they're out. I meant that I seem to recall napalm burns longer and tends to be better at spreading. Doesn't burn through concrete either, but it'll turn a concrete building into an oven. If you don't die from the heat, you can also die from the non-existence of oxygen in the area. Napalm is some seriously nasty shit.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

What about those kids who were trying to make napalm in the 1980s using the Anarchist's Cookbook and a styrofoam cooler and some gasoline?

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

I thought it was gasoline and laundry detergent.

Funny story.

Many years ago my buddy bought a fire suit and two of those air-charged fire extinguishers.  He wanted to make a flame thrower to burn weeds and "have fun."  His wife, recently pregnant suggested he grow up.  After a few sad days, he did grow up.  He used the fire extinguishers to this day, in the service truck.

• Hook 'Em 2

This is 100% me forcing something into the thread that's really not relevant, nor am I being serious, but it's too funny to pass up. Is it possible Russia is using ai to determine their military strategy. Consider:

image.thumb.png.b04d4ffb308d211164ce0d4d5bde89c7.png

need to add: Any paratroopers in here?

Edited by Chopper
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

I thought it was gasoline and laundry detergent.

Funny story.

Many years ago my buddy bought a fire suit and two of those air-charged fire extinguishers.  He wanted to make a flame thrower to burn weeds and "have fun."  His wife, recently pregnant suggested he grow up.  After a few sad days, he did grow up.  He used the fire extinguishers to this day, in the service truck.

That's what I was always told. Gasoline and Tide laundry detergent. A fireball with a chlorine gas chaser, mixed thick so it would stick.

CHIEF

6 hours ago, Chopper said:

This is 100% me forcing something into the thread that's really not relevant, nor am I being serious, but it's too funny to pass up. Is it possible Russia is using ai to determine their military strategy. Consider:

image.thumb.png.b04d4ffb308d211164ce0d4d5bde89c7.png

need to add: Any paratroopers in here?

Always fun to bring up the parachute experiment to people who harp on lack of rigorous scientific studies. Because no one in their right mind jumps off of things more than a few tens of feet tall, there's no scientifically rigorous study as to the effectiveness of parachutes at preventing death. The study with 23 people was purposely done to show the limits of testing and data: it was done from a plane sitting on the ground. There's also no scientifically rigorous study as to the effectiveness of dental floss, iirc, because not flossing is considered too permanently dangerous to find out. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, elfenix said:

Always fun to bring up the parachute experiment to people who harp on lack of rigorous scientific studies. Because no one in their right mind jumps off of things more than a few tens of feet tall, there's no scientifically rigorous study as to the effectiveness of parachutes at preventing death. The study with 23 people was purposely done to show the limits of testing and data: it was done from a plane sitting on the ground. There's also no scientifically rigorous study as to the effectiveness of dental floss, iirc, because not flossing is considered too permanently dangerous to find out. 

The post was originally longer, but I botched the cut and paste so deleted some. Here's the study for anyone interested. The thread pointed out AI's inability to distinguish satire.  https://www.bmj.com/content/363/bmj.k5094

image.thumb.png.36fd90418636f47e0edd961503850e98.png

Edited by Chopper
word
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

sadly our testing of ww2 torpedoes wasn't much different.  

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

What about those kids who were trying to make napalm in the 1980s using the Anarchist's Cookbook and a styrofoam cooler and some gasoline?

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

No way. I was always against the idea when someone brought it up. However, we might have done some experiments with black powder in middle school. Lessons were learned and one kid ended up in the E.R.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/2/2024 at 9:43 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Air defenses opening up just northwest of Moscow

https://x.com/Tendar/status/1830716440376160393

Mousing around on a slow night, a few juicy targets NW of Moscow:

Tver, ~ 100 miles NW; Migalovo(?) Air Base, large 4 engine transport planes (jets & props)

image.thumb.png.163b400b124228af5ddd73cadecc7103.png

Torzhok, ~ 150 miiles NW of Moscow

image.png.17bb000cae897d5b5345524af28c9448.png

Large Gaz Prom Pump Station, oil or refined products?

image.thumb.png.1ebc722844f1317dc85f4609853b8e02.png

Lubricants Production Complex, formerly Shell Oil

image.thumb.png.e8fba3a525ba91e0627033365845b3ab.png

Also a helicopter airbase, oil depots, and another oil pump station.

Can't wait to see the after pictures.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

56 minutes ago, F250 said:

No way. I was always against the idea when someone brought it up. However, we might have done some experiments with black powder in middle school. Lessons were learned and one kid ended up in the E.R.

I agree. Why do you need M80s When you can harvest the gunpowder from hundreds of black cat firecrackers and pour it into the cardboard tube, you get from dry cleaner pants hangers?

The first one we made absolutely disintegrated a mailbox. Unfortunately, some shrapnel broke a nearby window.   There were cop cars circling our neighborhood for hours.   Apparently, being terrified gives one ninja skills, because we all eventually made it home without being spotted.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

19 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

The first one we made absolutely disintegrated a mailbox. Unfortunately, some shrapnel broke a nearby window.   There were cop cars circling our neighborhood for hours.   Apparently, being terrified gives one ninja skills, because we all eventually made it home without being spotted.

Yes. LOL

This was us, well this was is us who could run fast. The slower ones had to hide.

fast-run-run.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, F250 said:

Yes. LOL

This was us, well this was is us who could run fast. The slower ones had to hide.

fast-run-run.gif

We were walking along the RR tracks by South Lamar, and found some rail road spikes. We heard a train coming, and laid one on the tracks to see what would happen. "Hey, you little sons of bitc... (garbled, unintelligible, large bangs)" Wasn't like a penny, we damn near derailed the train. 

Yeah, I was running. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

I agree. Why do you need M80s When you can harvest the gunpowder from hundreds of black cat firecrackers and pour it into the cardboard tube, you get from dry cleaner pants hangers?

Friend and I scraped enough black powder to fill a 20 ml glass vial. We put it in an incinerator looking thing (weird neighborhood I admit). The damn thing just vaporized. We couldn't find tiny shards of glass, let alone larger pieces.

With all the burning and making things go kaboom, I'm surprised neither of us lost an eye or even just singed an eyebrow.

10 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

And yet, we continue to insist on Ukraine fighting with one hand tied behind their back.

If the earlier rumors are true and we end up supplying JASSM, we'd have to also back off on our limitations for the use of the weapons to really make any sense. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

If the earlier rumors are true and we end up supplying JASSM, we'd have to also back off on our limitations for the use of the weapons to really make any sense. 

American foreign policy over the last 100 years begs to differ.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

10 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

I "borrowed" some potassium from the chemistry lab and flushed it down the toilet in HS.  Didn't mean to bust that pipe, Sir.   

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

And yet, we continue to insist on Ukraine fighting with one hand tied behind their back.

This is from a day or two and covers a lot (including that hitting the fuel storage tanks are as important as hitting the actual refinery equipment) and he talks about how we could cut back these attacks if we let them use Western missiles against Russian air bases (around the 20-23 minute mark).

• Hook 'Em 3

27 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Has anyone written a believable explanatory piece about the backroom discussions regarding whether UKR should be free to attack RUZ with US weapons? I assume the decision comes down to Biden acceding to DOD, CIA and NSA recommendations but I'm impatient for a reasonable explanation. The apparent leaks about those discussions makes me believe they've been unanimous so far. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Has anyone written a believable explanatory piece about the backroom discussions regarding whether UKR should be free to attack RUZ with US weapons? I assume the decision comes down to Biden acceding to DOD, CIA and NSA recommendations but I'm impatient for a reasonable explanation. The apparent leaks about those discussions makes me believe they've been unanimous so far. 

I've long felt it's time we put out some red lines of our own and make our intentions clear, as in, get out of Ukraine or we are going to make you, NATO or not.  Make it clear we won't engage in Russia (so as not to violate Russian Nuclear doctrine), but to pretty much deliver an ultimatum that it's time for Russia to go the fuck home.  A clear message, broadcast across the world, "you have 48 hours to begin to leave, and 2 weeks to be fully gone, or we will clear the air space and ground targets."  Unlike Russia's red lines, our need to be concrete.  Make it abundantly clear that it's over, if that makes us the bad guys in the eyes of the Russian population, so be it (here's hint, that's how this ends anyway, so who fucking cares?).  

I don't give a rats ass about ever doing business with these idiots, so to me, who cares about that concern?  Leave them isolated, strangled with economic sanctions, and humiliated.  Fuck em.  Make conditions so fucking bad in Russia that if they want to rejoin the modern the world, they are going to have to make massive changes.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

American foreign policy over the last 100 years begs to differ.

As always, follow the money.

What US entities, industries or companies are behind the US position of slow playing support of Ukraine?

Using NATO weapons without giving NATO a heads up on Ukraine's plans for deployment?

Or is it just keeping the nukes under Russia control rather than risk losing them in a post-Putin free for all.

US policy has always had a measure of an oil & gas slant, as worldwide oil production has a direct correlation to worldwide economies. Ukraine has not targeted Russia production, pipelines, or export capacity; just storage and refining, most of which is for internal demand, not export. Granted, there is big difference between a drone and a 1,000 lb warhead hitting a target.

I get that raising US gasoline prices before the election would not be good (for the US), but a pullback in US support for Ukraine would be worse (for Ukraine).

And, as I write these words, I answer my question. Our focus (posters on this thread) is Ukraine surviving as a sovereign nation. 95% of the people I know are oblivious to this war and could not have an intelligent back and forth conversation that lasted more than a couple of minutes. Sometimes, my Google News update starts with Ukraine info that is 3 days old. Is it News if you have to go look for it?

Maybe growing up on nuclear targets proximate to 12,000 runways and retiring in the Hill Country gives a false sense of reality. Damn. Another Bingo! I guess I could blame my dad (RIP) for raising me on John Wayne movies and watching westerns growing up. (Did everybody grow up that way? I am one generation removed from the farm.)

Nope. 

"...I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." - Thomas Jefferson

"Ye shall know the Truth and the Truth shall make you free" - UT Tower, that I looked up to damn near every day for 5 years.

Thanks for listening. I guess my therapy session is over.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1