Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

put the number of dead Ukrainian troops at 80,000 and the wounded at 400,000, according to people familiar with the matter. Western intelligence estimates of Russian casualties vary, with some putting the number of dead as high as nearly 200,000 and wounded at around 400,000...

This should be proportional, right? If Ukraine has 80K dead and 400K wounded, Russia would have 200K dead and 1M wounded.

https://www.threads.net/@noelreports/post/DABngg8ttnm?xmt=AQGzoSbpDKRBsJh5C59H_iaIJsimEKcHzmq9e89m3YAv7w

If you ever read Russians moaning about 'Ukraine targetting civilian cars' in the Kursk region. This is exactly the example why this is happening. Russian 'civilians' stealing real civilian cars used for military purpose. Hit by the 103rd Territorial Defense Brigade.

https://www.threads.net/@noelreports/post/DABQ0UJtUAl?xmt=AQGzh7KfsG7r1L_9ItZUTiCGsstXpFgwA_O0-WyCjZdiQA

On the Kursk front, a Russian BMP deployed troops in an open field, who were quickly eliminated by the 22nd mechanized brigade.

^almost 3 years in and they still haven't learned any lessons

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

This should be proportional, right? If Ukraine has 80K dead and 400K wounded, Russia would have 200K dead and 1M wounded.

It should be but… No. Ukrainians care about, and have the ability to care for, their wounded. I’d wager Russia is like 200K dead and 400K wounded 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

https://www.threads.net/@gonzo_ukraine/post/DABFAMDqYEH?xmt=AQGzaCWrueQobh2wgJHxS2nVpKBOKidRKwtKkpkqsqSbOg

🇺🇦 Meanwhile, in #kursk
standwithukraine

https://www.threads.net/@reuters/post/DAA52a7s8Kw?xmt=AQGzaCWrueQobh2wgJHxS2nVpKBOKidRKwtKkpkqsqSbOg

A Russian national residing in Florida was arrested on charges of smuggling, money laundering and illegally exporting to Russia technology that could be used in drone production, the US Department of Justice said reut.rs/3XM12…

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

5 hours ago, MillerEP said:

^almost 3 years in and they still haven't learned any lessons

I do believe the troops with that knowledge are dead. And the NCOs with that knowledge are dead. And the lieutenants with that knowledge are now dead.    The generals in Moscow on the phone telling them what to do don’t know that, so “get in the goddamn BMP and go in that field!”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Long thread with lots of photos, not sure how Thread reader app would handle that, but very interesting.

Since I no longer have an account, I can’t see the comments on the xitter so here this is on thread reader:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1835701547281600696.html

Edited by B00M
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, KYHorn said:

There are reports that Grad, S-300 and S-400 missiles, ballistic Iskander missiles and a small stash of North Korean missiles were stored at the ammunitions warehouse in Toropets, Tver region of Russia.

NASA FIRMS shows fires on almost the whole territory of the 107th Russian arsenal.

Video above for those without Twitter

Big big booms

That's a Tuesday in @Brisketexan's toilet.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Someone down thread on X noted that the facility was built in 2017.  Point being, the ammunition kept there was not old Soviet stuff, but their newest ammunition.    It seems like a pretty big deal to lose the whole damn warehouse facility.

And I like Putin announcing an unpopular increase in troop size at the same time Ukraine is wrecking important ammmo depots east of Moscow.

Replacing all of that ammunition is expensive and hard to do given the sanctions, and if Iranian or north Korean missiles were in there they will have to buy them a second time.   Putin’s economy will do well with this.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

No earth-shattering news in this piece from the BBC about Indians getting snookered to go fight at the front, but I just find this continuing saga kind of fascinating and hope to see a movie about it someday. Naivete and desperation lead to powerfully stupid decision-making.

'Please save me': The Indians duped into fighting for Russia
image.thumb.png.d313bc16f5b1131703f61b2a8dd84e7c.png

Last week, the Indian government announced that Russia had discharged dozens of the 91 Indians who were duped into fighting for Russian forces in the country's war with Ukraine. Several of them have since returned home, while the process to bring others back is under way. The BBC's Neyaz Farooquee spoke to some of the men about their struggles.

“I am in panic. I am not sure if I will return safely or in a box. Please save me.”

This is the message Urgen Tamang, a former Indian soldier, sent to the BBC from outside a southern Ukrainian city, a few days before he was discharged from the frontlines in Russia’s war against Ukraine, which entered its third year this February.

Mr Tamang is among the 91 Indians who were forced into fighting in the war. Most of them are from poor families and were lured by agents with the promise of money and jobs, sometimes as "helpers" in the Russian army.

Instead, they were sent to the war zone. Many of them said they were stationed in parts of Ukraine under Russian control, where they had to navigate landmines, drones, missiles and sniper attacks with little to no military training.

Nine Indians have died in the conflict so far and Indian authorities say they have arrested 19 people for human trafficking.

In July, Russia promised an early release of all Indians fighting in its army, following a visit by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi to Moscow, during which he raised the issue with President Vladimir Putin. The two countries have traditionally shared a warm relationship.

Forty-five of them have been discharged since then. Some have safely returned home, while others like Mr Tamang are on their way.

image.png.40bdea68240a46d80005176aaf31115d.png

"I can't believe I am out of there," said Sunil Karwa, an electrician from Rajasthan who joined the Russian army in February. Posted near Bakhmut, an eastern Ukraine city that has seen intense fighting, he was at the Moscow airport waiting to board his flight when he spoke to the BBC.

Mr Karwa described scenes of deaths and destruction, a reality which hit him the hardest when a man from his neighbouring village was shot on the battlefield.

“They sent him back on the frontline 15 days after the injury and he fainted in the field. He is paralysed now,” he said.

Like him, most of the other recruits were also blue-collar workers aged between 19 and 35, who were hired by agents based in India, Dubai and Russia.

They say their contracts were in Russian, a language they didn't understand. Yet they signed it in the hope of getting better opportunities.

"The process was so quick - just a few signatures and photos and we were in [the army]," Mr Karwa said.

Raja Pathan joined the army as a last resort in February, after an education consultant deceived him into enrolling in a non-existent college.

“When I got there, I saw banners advertising recruitments for the army. By then, I had spent so much time and money that I decided to join anyway,” he said.

It was the death of two friends, which eventually pushed Mr Pathan to leave. He was released in August with the help of a sympathetic Russian commander who facilitated his exit.

Now based in Moscow, he helps other Indians escape from there.

image.png.987343be8495808f05fcce0234799b38.png

Mohammad Sufyan from the southern state of Telangana returned to India on 12 September with five other men.

Safe in his home, he carries the trauma of surviving on the frontline. "There was little rest there and in the beginning, I couldn't speak to my family for 25 days," he said.

The most scarring moment came in February when his friend Hemil Mangukiya - an Indian man from Gujarat state - was killed right before his eyes.

“He was merely 15 metres from me, digging a trench near Krynky [in Kherson], when a missile landed,” recalled Mr Sufyan. “I put his dead body in the truck with my own hands.”

“After seeing the dead body of my friend, I didn’t have the strength for anything," he added.

After the death, Mr Sufyan and other Indians stuck there released a video pleading for help, which reached Indian MP Asaduddin Owaisi, who raised the matter with the foreign ministry. Families of the men had also appealed to the Indian government for help in bringing them back.

"It is a miracle I got back home," said Azad Yusuf Kumar, a resident of Indian-administered Kashmir, who was part of Mr Sufyan's group in the army.

“One minute you are digging a trench, and the next, an artillery falls and burns everything down. It was all a matter of luck if it fell on you or someone else.”

In February, Mr Kumar had told the BBC how he had shot his foot by mistake during training. “My commander kept saying, use your right hand to shoot, use your left hand to shoot, shoot above, shoot down,” he had said. "I had never touched a gun. It was extremely cold, and with the gun in my left hand, I ended up shooting my foot.”

Now back in Kashmir, he talks about how his commander had accused him of deliberately shooting himself to avoid going to the frontline.

"But I am lucky I did not go to fight. Four men from my camp died in an attack at that time. I could've been one of them," he said.

Though recent discharges brought relief to many, those still in Russia face growing desperation as their release is delayed.

Mr Tamang, who joined the Russian army in January, had earlier told The Indian Express newspaper through his local councillor, Rabi Pradhan, that 13 out of 15 non-Russian members of his unit had died.

The fact that he was sent to the frontline at least twice after signing his discharge letter in August heightened his fears – and mistrust in the process.

On 15 September, he was on his way to Moscow but still doubtful if he was truly heading home. “I am out, but I will keep sending you my location,” he said.
When he last texted, he had left Ukraine, hoping to continue his journey home.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 2

20 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Next, either this is a complete design flaw (which is unlikely) of the facility or the Russians got caught with multiple storage doors open at once. This either implies that the Ukraine UAVs hit them when they knew large transfers of munitions would be happening, the Russians violated the most basic sets of ordnance storage mantras by essentially having multiple blast doors for several ordnance bunkers open at once, or the storage plan for these cruise missiles are as such that they are trading safety and secondary blast protection for convenience of access.

This is more than likely an act of hubris by the Russians thinking them being so far into the interior nothing could reach them. 

Or a combination of everything - also toss in corruption at some point had to mean some shortcuts were taken, even if they weren't obvious.  Maybe things were too close together or walls were thinner than they should have been.

I would bet that the Ukrainians know when transfers out to air bases are happening, or shipments from factories or other countries are coming in.

That was one helluva hit though, and doesn't seem like their normal UAVs.

Could it be their domestically produced large ballistic missiles?  Ukraine confirmed that they had tested them just under a month ago:

https://www.npr.org/2024/08/28/nx-s1-5090919/ukraine-has-successfully-tested-ballistic-missiles-that-were-made-in-ukraine

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1