So...about Charlie Strong at USF...

horn_of_the_morning

27 minutes ago, Jersey Man10 said:

All I remember from Charlie Strong is the long finger, fucking up the coin toss, getting blown out by everyone, especially TCU, only having like 80 yards against fucking Arkansas in the Texas Bowl, “Texas is Back!”, and losing to Kansas.

You also forgot trying to decline a penalty that would have given us a first down. Thankfully the ref was looking out for us and talked him out of it. 

• Haha 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 hours ago, Newy25 said:

You also forgot trying to decline a penalty that would have given us a first down. Thankfully the ref was looking out for us and talked him out of it. 

He was one dumb mother fucker. I wonder if he was always that dumb or if there was some delayed level of CTE involved. 

1 minute ago, Park Gothic said:

I’ve never been so angry watching a football game in my life. Fucking apoplectic. 

I know. It is amazing how fucking horrible it was.

The 2015 Texas team was a terrible team. The game meant nothing and cost us nothing and it was 9 years ago.

But...it still pisses us off. That's how bad it was.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

5 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

TCU scored the first 50 on that SOB once.

That might be the most incompetent display of coaching I’ve seen behind Fran giving up the first 77. And I’ve seen some shit.

30 points in the first quarter.

And then somehow beat OU the next week.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Newy25 said:

If I didn't watch that era with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed it.

That is one dumb motherfucker, and I'm curious what the interview was like that made someone think "yep, this is the coach for me.  He kept calling me by a number, but that's part of his charm.  Let's give him $5M per year".

I'd pay good money to read a transcript of that interview.  It should be a Harvard case study on how to maximize your hireability when you're a fucking dipshit.

And then, how does the fucking South Florida AD look at the data in front of him and go "this guy totally got the short end of the stick at Texas.  Let's throw some money at him."  I mean, did no one ask him to explain any the dumb decisions he made as a head coach that a 4th grader would have handled better?"

5 hours ago, dcbc said:

I thought that was Oklahoma State?

Yep the 2016 game they blocked 3 of our PATs. We also punted twice on their side of the field in the 4th quarter down 2 possessions. Charlie should have been fired after that god awful game and let his assistants fall on the sword for the inevitable in Lawrence.

• Rage+1 4

5 hours ago, Jersey Man10 said:

All I remember from Charlie Strong is the long finger, fucking up the coin toss, getting blown out by everyone, especially TCU, only having like 80 yards against fucking Arkansas in the Texas Bowl, “Texas is Back!”, and losing to Kansas.

I'll add to that Jerod (Jerard) Heard's miracling us into a comeback against Cal only to have Nick Rose miss the PAT for the loss.  That was the loudest and, then, the quietest I'd heard DKR.  I was sitting on the goal line and was celebrating when it got quiet and, due to the angle, I still hadn't figured out he'd missed the damned PAT.  That eerie quiet lasted the entirety of our walk out of the stadium.

And let's not forget the year before the 3 missed PATs in Stillwater when Charlie got jobbed by the refs in that Okie Lite game starting with that defensive holding on a run play call.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 4

31 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

And then, how does the fucking South Florida AD look at the data in front of him and go "this guy totally got the short end of the stick at Texas.  Let's throw some money at him."  I mean, did no one ask him to explain any the dumb decisions he made as a head coach that a 4th grader would have handled better?"

I think we still were paying him for some of that time at S. FL.  From the Googles

"Dec 1, 2019.  South Florida fired coach Charlie Strong on Sunday after three seasons in which the Bulls won fewer games each year. USF made the move two days after finishing a 4-8 season with a blowout loss to rival UCF. That left Strong 21-16 overall but 4-14 since starting the 2018 season with seven straight victories."

Edited by dcbc
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I'll add to that Jerod (Jerard) Heard's miracling us into a comeback against Cal only to have Nick Rose miss the PAT for the loss.  That was the loudest and, then, the quietest I'd heard DKR.  I was sitting on the goal line and was celebrating when it got quiet and, due to the angle, I still hadn't figured out he'd missed the damned PAT.  That eerie quiet lasted the entirety of our walk out of the stadium.

Took me 8 years to get back to a game in person after this particular bullshit (last year vs. Kansas). I knew Texas Football was turbofucked for a long time walking out of DKR that night.

5 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Yep the 2016 game they blocked 3 of our PATs. We also punted twice on their side of the field in the 4th quarter down 2 possessions. Charlie should have been fired after that god awful game and let his assistants fall on the sword for the inevitable in Lawrence.

In every way that game was the beginning of the end for Charlie Strong. Lost to Cal 2 weeks earlier when he should have won, then cam off a bye week and had that horrible performance. Even though we were 2-2 at the time I already knew the Stronghorns era was over. The Kansas debacle, even though I was upset, I wasn't mad. My roommate looked at me and asked if I was okay which I reassured him I was and explained that the loss in Lawrence HAD to happen to truly seal Charlie's fate. God what a horrible time for UT football. 

11 hours ago, Jersey Man10 said:

too fucking soon

10 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

How about flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct?

about the only thing that wasn't his fault (if you're talking about the home OSU game).  JFC that ref is a cocksucker.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Also, what a country we live in that a complete imbecile like Chuck Strong can be a self-made millionaire.  

And people lament that the American Dream is dead...

6 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

If Lowell Galindo does a game with Chuck Strong, I better be within reach of my remote, or I might destroy my TV first.

I'd be more concerned that I'm witnessing the first sign of the Apocalypse and I apparently didn't get raptured.

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, Red Five said:

I can give you details of every game from seasons 25+ years ago. I remember basically nothing from the Strong years. Like if you asked me if we won or lost the Baylor game in 2015, I would have no idea. 

Yall keep referencing this Strong person.  Who is he?

• Haha 1

two positives that i can think of from the Strong era.

1. D'Onta Foreman

2. The fan base was so apathetic that I was able to snag some bad ass aisle seats in section 9 under the overhang that I will keep until the day I die. it's impossible to get seats there anymore

Edited by El Tri
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I'd think Charlie Strong could be a test case for 100% live AI replacement of actual speech. The only potential problem would be if the AI was unable to create some of the takes that seemed impossible to predict in the Surly Shared Experience. Thinking of having to have the ref explain to you that declining a penalty called against your opponent was not in your best interest. 

"No-brainer" took on a whole new meaning with Charlie.

The CS era of Texas football followed by the hiring of Mensa lead to me giving up season tickets after 31 consecutive years during which I missed a total of 4 home games. (Mostly missed being early season shit teams and shitty at the time Baylor)

If that doesn't tell the story of how lost I believed the program to be, I'm not sure what does.

Thanks CS!!

16 hours ago, Jersey Man10 said:

fewer.

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I remember it being 57. Not self-loathing enough to go look up any part of that shit though.

I remember 59, with 34 of that being on the last, garbage-time "drive", at 7-31.

I also remember that SEC had the opportunity to pair us against aggy, but chose not to, possibly at aggy request. And praise jebus for that, 'cause it seemed like it coulda been an epic ass-fucking instead of ... never mind, it was actually an epic ass-fucking anyway.

my favorite Charles story is he didn't know who Vince young or colt McCoy were when asked about them. then he doubled down and called them by their number and said Vince McCoy. you could here a pin drop in the room. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2