So...about Charlie Strong at USF...

horn_of_the_morning

Honest question... who at ESPN listened to any CS press conference and thought, "this guy should be in broadcasting."

I expect plenty of unintelligible, run on sentences, mixed with generic platitudes like, "you see, with (team x) it's all about tradition"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I remember it being 57. Not self-loathing enough to go look up any part of that shit though.

Apparently I am, as I believe it shows to be 59 yards of total offense. You'll recall that in the wake of that arky debacle, 59 became forever known as a "Watson."

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Royale with cheese said:

You'll recall that in the wake of that arky debacle, 59 became forever known as a "Watson."

Shockingly, or perhaps not shockingly given how coaching works, Watson is still being paid by a university to coach football.  He's the HC at Wofford.  Not shockingly, they were 2-9 last year.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hookem10 said:

my favorite Charles story is he didn't know who Vince young or colt McCoy were when asked about them. then he doubled down and called them by their number and said Vince McCoy. you could here a pin drop in the room. 

I could use a video of that because wow

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

Honest question... who at ESPN listened to any CS press conference and thought, "this guy should be in broadcasting."

I expect plenty of unintelligible, run on sentences, mixed with generic platitudes like, "you see, with (team x) it's all about tradition"

The bar for hiring an ex coach or player--even relative no-names--to a sports network is so hilariously low. Booger McFarland, Tim Hardaway, generic ex-Lions QB, anyone who coached under Bill Belichick. I've never understood it. How much "name recognition" is Charlie Strong bringing to the table?

• Hook 'Em 2

Imagine being a very successful defensive coordinator under one of the best coaches of the modern era.  You do so well you get hired as HC at Louisville, not a traditional football school.  You do well enough there (yeah I know his QB accounted for a lot of it) that you get hired to be the head fucking coach of The University of Texas.

A mere seven years later you're so unemployable as a coach you have to resort to calling games on what is essentially PPV.

Life comes at you fast. 

14 hours ago, Wiler77 said:

That is one dumb motherfucker, and I'm curious what the interview was like that made someone think "yep, this is the coach for me.  He kept calling me by a number, but that's part of his charm.  Let's give him $5M per year".

Everything You Need to Know About Texas' New Athletic Director, Steve  Patterson | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

22 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Wasn't it the CS firing that led to Herbie's assessment of UT as a "cesspool"? Or am I misremembering the timing?

Well, let's see... that time period included Charlie Strong as HC, hired by AD Steve Paterson... only for both to be fired and replaced by Tom Herman and Mike Perrin respectively, so yeah, I'd say Herbie wasn't too far out in left field on his assessment. 

Would you motherfuckers get your act together?

We’re three days from possibly the most glorious days of the year and you’ve subjected us to discussions about the single worst coach I’ve ever seen in the program followed by a guy who was somehow Mensa and retarded at the same time.

Next, we’ll go into the merits of Applewhite vs Simms and move on over to the recruiting board where we can talk about the recruitments of Waddle, Perriloux and A’Shawn Robinson.

We’re about to kick some ass. I don’t want to hear any more shit about long fingers and piss tests.

Edited by Ghost of Shag
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

We’re three days from possibly the most glorious days of the year and you’ve subjected us to discussions about the single worst coach I’ve ever seen in the program followed by a guy who was somehow Mensa and retarded at the same time.

Next, we’ll go into the merits of Applewhite vs Simms and move on over to the recruiting board where we can talk about the recruitments of Waddle, Perriloux and A’Shawn Robinson.

We’re about to kick some ass. I don’t want to hear any more shit about long fingers and piss tests.

cheese puns it is 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Well, let's see... that time period included Charlie Strong as HC, hired by AD Steve Paterson... only for both to be fired and replaced by Tom Herman and Mike Perrin respectively, so yeah, I'd say Herbie wasn't too far out in left field on his assessment. 

The idea was that we were being controlled by shadowy donors and boosters who wouldn't let geniuses like Charlie Strong succeed, not that we were making bad hires. That we weren't more loyal to our bad hires. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Everything You Need to Know About Texas' New Athletic Director, Steve  Patterson | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

I remember an article after he was hired. It compared him to Oliver Luck, who was supposedly also under consideration. The writer compared it to two guys shopping for a car. Luck would ask the salesman about such things as horsepower, miles per gallon, resell value, etc.

This dickhead would just want to know where the slot was to stick his Beach Boys CD in

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Honest answer. The same people at ESPN who continue to watch Desmond Howard and and think "this guy should remain on Game Day". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I remember it being 57. Not self-loathing enough to go look up any part of that shit though.

I was curious.  37 yards the first half, and 50 the second half.  First half had a long play of 44 yards (TD drive) and 2nd half, the last drive, 29 yards.

I got to see it live and in person. Yippee. 

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah everybody expected it to be Oliver Luck and then that asshole supposedly agreed to fire Mack Brown, if he did not literally kill himself in Florida.

Not sure if true, but sure makes more sense.

11 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

I was pulling for Kansas that game.  Knew we needed that one to get rid of that fool without the race card being played by media.  

The media and SEVERAL members on this board tried to pull that card. 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Not sure if true, but sure makes more sense.

I recall that Luck apparently refused to guarantee that he'd fire FUPM. Not that he wouldn't, just that he'd have to look over the whole situation. 

And then... Patterson...

2 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Yeah.  But that loss made most of that noise fall on deaf ears.  It got no traction. 

The funny thing about it was that it was a reversak of the hiring. I think many people felt that Texas was going to hire a black coach any way possible. Even James Franklin got a good long  look, but there was too much Bayloresque about the Vandy program at the time. Firing, there was some racism talk, but yeah, not much traction. 

The KU loss was fortuitous, no doubt about it. 

1 hour ago, lilMAC25 said:

The media and SEVERAL members on this board tried to pull that card. 

There were members of this board saying we should keep him after the Kansas game? No way. Or maybe there were and I just ignored them.

What many don't remember is that the Kansas game was not even the last game that season. But our mentality at the time was that we had zero chance against TCU...at home. So we had to beat Kansas to avoid a third consecutive losing season. Doesn't that say it all?

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

There were members of this board saying we should keep him after the Kansas game? No way. Or maybe there were and I just ignored them.

What many don't remember is that the Kansas game was not even the last game that season. But our mentality at the time was that we had zero chance against TCU...at home. So we had to beat Kansas to avoid a third consecutive losing season. Doesn't that say it all?

The curse of Pattersons...

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

Absolutely yes. 

one poster in particular was arguing seasons later that Strong was fired too quickly.

Edited by lilMAC25

5 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Didn’t he have the worst 3 year record of any UT coach in history?

Pretty sure I could have done as good as worst ever.

Even the guys who only coached one season had a better win-loss percentage than Strong. He was the worst of anybody.

6 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

I'm going to beg to differ a bit here. To each his own, but I have and do hold the belief that recognizing and being grateful for the hard/worst times makes the high points that much brighter. The Yin and Yang of life.

I suffered some really painful seasons and a few really good ones prior to attending every game, away and home in 2005.

Just before the last play, I turned to a female that I still have a thing for and a very close friend to this day. 

We got this!

2 witnesses will verify.

Then after a few minutes of absolute joy and happiness, I actually thought back to 66-3 when I stayed until the bitter end. Just for a moment, a quick reflection.

Worth it. All of it.

I'll be there next time too. End of MB, CS and Mensa specifically Kansas will be on my mind, just a quick reflection. I will smile in the glory.

That's my way. It's not for everyone.

LFG!!! 

Edited by BurntEyes

9 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

I'm going to beg to differ a bit here. To each his own, but I have and do hold the belief that recognizing and being grateful for the hard/worst times makes the high points that much brighter. The Yin and Yang of life.

I suffered some really painful seasons and a few really good ones prior to attending every game, away and home in 2005.

Just before the last play, I turned to a female that I still have a thing for and a very close friend to this day. 

We got this!

2 witnesses will verify.

Then after a few minutes of absolute joy and happiness, I actually thought back to 66-3 when I stayed until the bitter end. Just for a moment, a quick reflection.

Worth it. All of it.

I'll be there next time too. End of MB, CS and Mensa specifically Kansas will be on my mind, just a quick reflection. I will smile in the glory.

That's my way. It's not for everyone.

LFG!!! 

I waited a long time for 2005, as well. Through some Cotton Bowls that won’t be named. Through Texas trying to stop the Run and Shoot (and, to be fair, when Texas stopped the fuck out of it in 1990). Through Mackovic managing to lose to both Rice and TCU for the first time in my life. Various Baylor BS, including Teaff’s last game. And so on.

Since you went to every away game in 2005, I’m 99.999% sure you’ve seen me. I was also there, and I don’t blend. When Texas stopped USC on 4th down, I told my now ex-wife and our friends who came from PA for the game that Texas just won. On 4th and 5, as soon as Rucker followed Selvin about two steps off the edge, I said “Touchdown.” And it was. 

IMG_6248.gif

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, closetojumping said:

It was 59.  In fact, some affectionately refer to 59 yards of offense as "1 Watson" in homage to the brilliance of OC Shawn Watson.

I was self-loathing enough to go back and remind myself of the game.  Texas's only scoring drive was a 44 yard drive that finished with a 9 yard TD run by Swoopes.  Even with that run, Swoopes ended the game with -32 yards on 5 rushes.  His overall offensive net was 25 yards though, given his 57 passing yards on 13-25 passing (1 INT).  

If you want to punish yourself further, here's the box score.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Texas_Bowl

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

I try not to literally hate anyone, but I genuinely hate Charlie Strong, Steve Patterson, and Tom Herman. 

I know none of you have the capacity to feel sorry for Strong--nor should you--but the last few minutes and aftermath of that Kansas game is still one of the saddest, surreal things I've witnessed in high-level sports. Millions of people just watched a coach's funeral on national television, and he and the players (who loved Charlie, but still played like shit for him) 100% realized it in the moment.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Oh yeah, lots of speeches about heart, immeasurables, and want-to.  Zero discussion of Xs and Os, form tackling, clock management, or anything else specifically related to football.

Charlie's a good guy, but Charlie and cameras go together like Charlie and head coaching at major programs.

Strong is a loser millionaire , like several others, created at the University of Texas Millionaire Loser Factory.

He is a floating turd ball, , that you keep flushing, but still hangs around.

Edited by El Squared

22 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Oh yeah, lots of speeches about heart, immeasurables, and want-to.  Zero discussion of Xs and Os, form tackling, clock management, or anything else specifically related to football.

Charlie's a good guy, but Charlie and cameras go together like Charlie and head coaching at major programs.

You know him? How do you know he's a good guy?

Him fucking around on his wife with a booster's wife?

Him structuring and backloading his USF contract in bad faith in a way to deliberately fuck over Texas?

1 hour ago, boilerhorn said:

It was 59.  In fact, some affectionately refer to 59 yards of offense as "1 Watson" in homage to the brilliance of OC Shawn Watson.

I was self-loathing enough to go back and remind myself of the game.  Texas's only scoring drive was a 44 yard drive that finished with a 9 yard TD run by Swoopes.  Even with that run, Swoopes ended the game with -32 yards on 5 rushes.  His overall offensive net was 25 yards though, given his 57 passing yards on 13-25 passing (1 INT).  

If you want to punish yourself further, here's the box score.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Texas_Bowl

We had rented out one of the suites and had about 20 people in it. Next to us on one side was a group of Arkansas fans who had done the same. Everyone minded everyone's own business until late in the 4th. With a few minutes left in the game and plenty of booze now in their bloodstream, the Arkansas hillbillies decided to start talking shit. We jawed back a little and then they kept running their mouths, mostly thoughtlessly with comments like "Texas sucks" and "Fuck Texas". 

My little brother had finally had enough and gave them a dismissive hand gesture waving them off and said, paraphrasing,  "We're Texas. We're mediocre now but we'll be back on top soon. You're Arkansas, you're mediocre forever! This is your biggest game in years and it's at a shitty bowl game against a .500 team, you fucking hillbillies. It's pathetic."

With that, the Arkansas folks shut up and went back to minding their own business. It was a fun and bittersweet moment, and looking back, it still is. I didn't think Strong was going to make it, but I didn't think it would be almost a decade before Texas was discussed in the national title picture again. Good lord. 

39 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Ian Boyd on EGAT this morning: “I would hire Strong back as recruiting coordinator.”

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

Ian Boyd is the Charlie Strong of football analysts. 

• Hook 'Em 3