So...about Charlie Strong at USF...

horn_of_the_morning

4 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Exactly.  No idea if he's a good guy.

I do know he might be the dumbest bastard to ever coach a p5 school.  If he's not, it does not take long to call roll.

It would actually make for a good thread, the "worst college football coaches in history". Rolling it around, Mensa might make the list, but for all Mensa's bullshit, CS soars in the stupidity quota. There might be worse coaches, but I can't think of any who were as stupid. I mean, just idiotically stupid and there have been some real idiots in college head coaching. 

Edited by BurntEyes
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Herman was average to above average.  He is not anywhere near a worst coach in history.  His tenure at Texas wasn't spectacular.  But he went 4-0 in bowl games and finished ranked 3 times in four seasons, including a top 10 finish.  He was 32-18 at Texas and 22-13 in conference play (with winning seasons in conference every year).  He also went 22-4 at UH and finished #8 in the country.

He just does not belong in the conversation as even a bad coach.  We wanted better, rightfully.  He was never going to get us into a playoff and his recruiting was trending down. His turtling against teams we were a lot better than drove me nuts.

Firing him was the right thing. But his tenure was nothing like the embarrassment and disaster of Charlie Strong.  

We see Mensa's tenure at Texas differently. Many could and would argue he's a bad coach. 

W 32 - L 18 

Last I checked below a C average is not good.

But this is an argument for the Worst Coaches in College Football History thread rather than we all agree CS is an absolute idiot thread 

4 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

If anyone thinks Tom Herman is anywhere close to the worst coach in history, even just Texas history you simply do not watch a lot of football. 

It would actually make for a good thread, the "worst college football coaches in history". Rolling it around, Mensa might make the list, but for all Mensa's bullshit, CS soars in the stupidity quota.

Many could and would argue he's a bad coach. 

Edited by BurntEyes

5 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

We see Mensa's tenure at Texas differently. Many could and would argue he's a bad coach. 

W 32 - L 18 

But this is an argument for the Worst Coaches in College Football History thread rather than we all agree CS is an absolute idiot thread 

Not pining for Herman here, but I'd just like to pop in and say context matters. 

Equating a below .700 winning percentage to a below C academic average is idiotic, even for Surly. 

A below C average in academics is not good.

A below C average as a College Football Head Coach over 10 years and 100 games means you're eligible for the hall of fame (Hall of Fame requires at least a .600 winning percentage over 10 years and 100 games)

I'd say Herman was a mostly average, sometimes above average coach on the field and a terrible coach off the field.

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

It would actually make for a good thread, the "worst college football coaches in history". Rolling it around, Mensa might make the list, but for all Mensa's bullshit, CS soars in the stupidity quota. There might be worse coaches, but I can't think of any who were as stupid. I mean, just idiotically stupid and there have been some real idiots in college head coaching. 

3 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

It would actually make for a good thread, the "worst college football coaches in history". Rolling it around, Mensa might make the list, but for all Mensa's bullshit, CS soars in the stupidity quota.

Many could and would argue he's a bad coach. 

Arguing that Tom Herman is a bad coach is a weird hill to die upon. You can't really believe that, right? I can't stand the guy and I am glad he's gone, but @Frank Drebin's already done a good job of addressing why he doesn't fall into the category of "bad coach" much less "worst coaches in history".

We don't need to look very far to find proper candidates for "worst coaches in history". Texas has had a few doozies. Ed Price, Chuckles, and Jack Chevigny all can easily be argued in favor of being bucketed into the "worst coaches in college football history" list. 

I agree that that is a thread waiting to be created because there is some genuinely hilarious shit out there about some of the disasters that could be named in that thread. And interesting things as well, I guess. Jack Chevigny, I've known of for years, but I didn't look him up until today when I was trying to recall his name. He died as a marine corps officer on the first day of the battle of Iwo Jima (a really, really bad hill to die upon). RIP. Never coached again after being fired at Texas and was also the guy who scored the winning touchdown in the "win one for the Gipper" game at ND vs Army.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Chevigny

• Hook 'Em 2

Sigh, I don't think he's the worst coach in Texas football history.

I don't think he's one of the worst coaches all time.

You could argue he's a good coach, a mediocre coach, and maybe not a bad coach.

Surly wins again, and my bias against that idiot and an off hand comment that he might be considered, MIGHT was taken to an extreme. That's the Surly way 

I think he's a bad coach but not one of the worst all time. Once again it's important to point out, I'm apt to go full regard and it's best for everyone if we all recognize that reality.

Can we get back to shitting on Chucky Fingers and start a Worst Coaches of All-Time thread?

Edited by BurntEyes
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Go watch the Maryland and WV games again. Herman sucked and recruiting turned to hot garbage at the end. Max Merrill 

Hard for me to say someone that finished ranked 3 out of 4 years at Texas with a top 10 finish and finished #8 in the country at UH after whipping the shit out of Bob Stoops and Jimbo Fisher "sucked" as a head coach.

Strong sucked.  McWilliams sucked.  I look at Herman about like Mackovic.  Both did some things at Texas.  Mackovic had two conference titles and finished ranked half his years but sucked in bowl games and had a losing season.  Herman finished ranked 3/4 of his years and won the Sugar Bowl and all other bowls and never had losing seasons.

Both needed to go.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Hard for me to say someone that finished ranked 3 out of 4 years at Texas with a top 10 finish and finished #8 in the country at UH after whipping the shit out of Bob Stoops and Jimbo Fisher "sucked" as a head coach.

Strong sucked.  McWilliams sucked.  I look at Herman about like Mackovic.  Both did some things at Texas.  Mackovic had two conference titles and finished ranked half his years but sucked in bowl games and had a losing season.  Herman finished ranked 3/4 of his years and won the Sugar Bowl and all other bowls and never had losing seasons.

Both needed to go.

Mackovic is a decent analog for Herman, I guess. One thing that benefits Herman in these discussions is that he got fired at the right time. The 2021 team was going to be bad no matter what and his recruiting was nearing collapse. The advent of the portal as we know it was just occurring. He was disliked by his players on top of flailing in recruiting. I think he was headed towards insane disaster if no one had intervened. I could see 3-9/2-10 instead of 5-7.

One thing I really like about Twelve Win Theven is that the players like the guy. Even if he stumbles again, I would be kind of stunned by some sort of mass exodus. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Herman is a better-than-average coach.  He's good enough to look good against the University of Houston's schedule, and not good enough to keep from getting exposed against the University of Texas's schedule.  And he's a smug prick.  I think that last part paired with the just-okay performance is what most of us hated about him.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, closetojumping said:

Mackovic is a decent analog for Herman, I guess. One thing that benefits Herman in these discussions is that he got fired at the right time. The 2021 team was going to be bad no matter what and his recruiting was nearing collapse. The advent of the portal as we know it was just occurring. He was disliked by his players on top of flailing in recruiting. I think he was headed towards insane disaster if no one had intervened. I could see 3-9/2-10 instead of 5-7.

One thing I really like about Twelve Win Theven is that the players like the guy. Even if he stumbles again, I would be kind of stunned by some sort of mass exodus. 

Absolutely agree about Herman and 2021. If he wasn't an unlikeable ass, he probably gets 2021.  And then his record looks far worse. 

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Herman is a better-than-average coach.  He's good enough to look good against the University of Houston's schedule, and not good enough to keep from getting exposed against the University of Texas's schedule.  And he's a smug prick.  I think that last part paired with the just-okay performance is what most of us hated about him.

Yeah.. I don't want to go full regard again but since the parallels between Herman and Mackovic have already been draw... they both shared that same smug, arrogant asshole aspect. Based on folks I knew that played for Mackovic and what I've only heard through 3rd parties, most players couldn't stand either. Mackovic, I was told, was low energy, boring and an asshole which a pretty special combination.

To keep it on track, neither were as dumb as CS decline a foul.

Edited by BurntEyes

25 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Well, all that and the recent burn marks he left in my mind may have made me lean heavily towards him sucking as an HC. 

But seriously, is there a bigger idiot in college football history than Charles imma kick off twice? I'm asking for the laughs. I want to believe.

Edited by BurntEyes

On 8/27/2024 at 1:54 PM, Red Five said:

I can give you details of every game from seasons 25+ years ago. I remember basically nothing from the Strong years. Like if you asked me if we won or lost the Baylor game in 2015, I would have no idea. 

Yeah I just remember getting fucked by Cal running the ball all over us.

Generally tuned out after that. 

• Rage+1 2

On 8/27/2024 at 2:11 PM, Thatguy said:

Just going to try and slip that in eh?

lol just saying

They weren't going out there trying to find a the best color commentator. They were trying to find a colored commentator. They got rid of RG3 and had to hire another black dude to replace him. Like if Beth Mowins got hit by lighting like we are all praying for, we would get another terrible woman commentator because they are more obsessed with the color of someone's skin (or whether or not they have a sack) than the content of their character. 

I hope he turtle necks the fuck of ESPN and does well, who knows, he may be aight.

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

If anyone thinks Tom Herman is anywhere close to the worst coach in history, even just Texas history you simply do not watch a lot of football. 

Maybe not worst but god damn he was very frustrating.

He would find something that works then go away from it.

He would slam the QB into the LOS every 3rd and 4th down like a goddamn caveman. 

His scheme while at Texas needed a hero runner QB and he fucking just jammed Sam in that role even though Sam wasn't fucking Greg Ward Jr. at all. 

3 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Maybe not worst but god damn he was very frustrating.

He would find something that works then go away from it.

He would slam the QB into the LOS every 3rd and 4th down like a goddamn caveman. 

His scheme while at Texas needed a hero runner QB and he fucking just jammed Sam in that role even though Sam wasn't fucking Greg Ward Jr. at all. 

At least he had a QB sneak in the game plan. 

• Rage+1 2

3 hours ago, 6th Street said:

spacer.png

Fuck Herman but this I think was the blowU game and we were genuinely getting fucked so hard by the refs I understand him crying like a bitch on the sidelines. He should've gone out and get bumped by the ref like Strong 

44 minutes ago, AustinHorn said:

Worst HC of all time? Kevin Steele says hello. 

The game ending blunder against UNLV is something I think about once a week.  It's glorious.

"Establishing an attitude" was his excuse after the game.  

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I know none of you have the capacity to feel sorry for Strong--nor should you--but the last few minutes and aftermath of that Kansas game is still one of the saddest, surreal things I've witnessed in high-level sports. Millions of people just watched a coach's funeral on national television, and he and the players (who loved Charlie, but still played like shit for him) 100% realized it in the moment.

Hate is a strong word, but I dislike him very much. He wasn't this saint people made him out to be. He was fucking his friend's wife, he made the absolute dumbest decisions I've ever witnessed in any sport, and he got paid handsomely for it. Fuck that guy. He hired the worst staff in college sports. He had the money and resources and couldn't even memorize his zip code and didn't even know who Vince Young and Colt Mccoy were. He didn't even bother knowing his own players names, either. He's a fucking moron who's made more money than this entire board put together. Just unbelievable at how dumb he is. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

I know none of you have the capacity to feel sorry for Strong--nor should you--but the last few minutes and aftermath of that Kansas game is still one of the saddest, surreal things I've witnessed in high-level sports. Millions of people just watched a coach's funeral on national television, and he and the players (who loved Charlie, but still played like shit for him) 100% realized it in the moment.

Craziest thing I’ve ever seen.

10 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

Herman was average to above average.  He is not anywhere near a worst coach in history.  His tenure at Texas wasn't spectacular.  But he went 4-0 in bowl games and finished ranked 3 times in four seasons, including a top 10 finish.  He was 32-18 at Texas and 22-13 in conference play (with winning seasons in conference every year).  He also went 22-4 at UH and finished #8 in the country.

He just does not belong in the conversation as even a bad coach.  We wanted better, rightfully.  He was never going to get us into a playoff and his recruiting was trending down. His turtling against teams we were a lot better than drove me nuts.

Firing him was the right thing. But his tenure was nothing like the embarrassment and disaster of Charlie Strong.  

Very well stated. The fact that people try to compare Strong to him is puzzling.

Strong was an absolute fucking moron with shitty results on the field.

Herman was a fucking asshole with reasonable results on the field. I agree with CTJ’s point that Herman’s firing saved him from the embarrassment of 2021 and thus make his record better than it would have been. I also agree it was time to move on (mostly because his recruiting was tanking, BADLY.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

Hate is a strong word, but I dislike him very much. He wasn't this saint people made him out to be. He was fucking his friend's wife, he made the absolute dumbest decisions I've ever witnessed in any sport, and he got paid handsomely for it. Fuck that guy. He hired the worst staff in college sports. He had the money and resources and couldn't even memorize his zip code and didn't even know who Vince Young and Colt Mccoy were. He didn't even bother knowing his own players names, either. He's a fucking moron who's made more money than this entire board put together. Just unbelievable at how dumb he is. 

I don't know. We have a lot of nurses around here.

• Haha 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

On 8/29/2024 at 7:20 AM, Frank Drebin said:

You know him? How do you know he's a good guy?

Him fucking around on his wife with a booster's wife?

Him structuring and backloading his USF contract in bad faith in a way to deliberately fuck over Texas?

You can’t pin the last point on him, it was actually smart to get Texas to foot the bill… which tells me it wasn’t Chuckle’s idea. Must have been his agent or USF.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

Very well stated. The fact that people try to compare Strong to him is puzzling.

Strong was an absolute fucking moron with shitty results on the field.

Herman was a fucking asshole with reasonable results on the field. I agree with CTJ’s point that Herman’s firing saved him from the embarrassment of 2021 and thus make his record better than it would have been. I also agree it was time to move on (mostly because his recruiting was tanking, BADLY.

The only reason they should even be brought up in the same conversation is that they were both post Mack Brown. 

Thats it. 

Charlie was so historically bad, no one really compares 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I want to apologize to all Texas fans that they replaced me with this guy.

You look at this guy over here and it's just all about the tradition of he couldn't put all the BBs back in the box. 

Soon as I seent this picture, I started hearing the Benny Hill Yakety-sax theme.

26 minutes ago, mdmost said:

You look at this guy over here and it's just all about the tradition of he couldn't put all the BBs back in the box. 

did he get pointy finger reduction surgery?

2 hours ago, gofuckyourself said:

He's calling the Mack Brown North Carolina Tarheels vs North Carolina Central game this weekend.

So nobody was brave enough to tune in to Charlie the first couple weeks?

No updates?

There's this. He's not particularly notable, or terrible. But pretty hard to understand at times.

Cringeworthy

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

C’mon Bianco. I hope you intentionally left out “250” or another large number between “favorite” and “people”.