CoTA sounds like it sucks

Updawg

35 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah my bad, I didn't mean to paint every contractor with the same brush.  But also don't want to call out specific, politically connected ones either.  I learned that lesson the hard way in Chicago labor trucking.  

That sounds scary. Did they send Rocko to 'have a chat' with you?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, wood said:

So, there's a thread about this in the Austin reddit, where COTA threads typically fizzle and die. This one is booming, and there's a guy in there who helped build that drainage system  and more. He just confirmed (again) what I've already been told by a few people - that the ACO drain maintenance was indeed cancelled by COTA (Bobby), against the advice of the engineers and even COTA employees at the time (one of whom I know personally), and that led to these problems. 

Yeah, I believe it. Our local municipality did like zero storm drain maintenance for like ever, then a bunch of the systems failed and it became a big to do. Now storm water here  is basically hysteria and we are all paying the price.

My point though is if the slabs are on piers or pilings, those should be way deeper than any water issues. I suppose the hydraulic force could be floating the slabs off the piles though. Shitty situation all around.

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Yeah, I believe it. Our local municipality did like zero storm drain maintenance for like ever, then a bunch of the systems failed and it became a big to do. Now storm water here  is basically hysteria and we are all paying the price.

My point though is if the slabs are on piers or pilings, those should be way deeper than any water issues. I suppose the hydraulic force could be floating the slabs off the piles though. Shitty situation all around.

Yeah I remember there was a big article about all the piers they installed. I think it mentioned how deep they went. I'll see if I can find it again. They may have even been floating piers, which seems like a bad idea out there.

I just found this basic article, but I think there's another one out there with more detail. Here they say they don't know if they went to bedrock or used spread footings. I know the guy that wrote this. He's a dipshit.

https://www.theaustingrandprix.com/news/2011/12/22/december-construction-analysis-of-circuit-of-the-americas.html

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 hours ago, G650 said:

Dude used a lot of words to not say anything lol.

Yeah remember back when we were still getting approvals from the City Council and Will Buxton started interviewing people at bars and restaurants in Montreal about the Austin race? That was my idea. I texted him and his crazy-eyes sister about it beforehand. They didn't reply, so I figured they missed the texts or just didn't wanna do it or whatever. Next thing I see is them on TV with Buxton extolling the virtues of F1 etc. They played it up on the website they were running at the time as if it was all their idea. Never even said thanks.

2012.11.16-BIG+TIME+BASH-0219.jpg?format

• Haha 1

So ...

COTA chairman: If there are parts to the F1 track that need to be fixed, we'll do it   ...   https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/motorsports/2023/10/25/cota-track-austin-f1-max-verstappen-circuit-of-the-americas-bobby-epstein/71318358007/

First off, I love how he says "IF"  the track needs fixing, as if there's some doubt. He's said he'd fix it many times before. You've all seen the results of those 'fixes'. 

Then there's this: The author says there that ...

Circuit of the Americas draws $19 million from the state big events fund to help stage the USGP. Gov. Greg Abbott recently cut COTA's take from roughly $25 million.

Eh, no. Not true. COTA received about $38 Million from the State of Texas for the 2022 USGP. They've asked for about $38 Million more for this year's race. I've looked all the way back to 2012, and the least COTA has received from the State is about $23 Million in 2015 ($19.6M state share). So they did receive under $20M one time, eight years ago, but that's not what they receive every year.

It's only gone up since then, dramatically. COTA has received more than $350 Million so far since 2012. About $300 Million for F1 races, and about $50 Million for MotoGP. And they've received more for smaller races over the years as well. The last 3 annual subsidy payments to COTA for F1 alone have averaged about $33 Million.

There's also been no recent cut by the Governor. He cut it for 2015, and since then it has skyrocketed.

Do reporters ever do their homework any more? Well, no. Not many at least. And this is how Epstein continues to spread his misinformation. He drops nuggets like this, but doesn't allow them to quote him saying it.  He does it over and over and over, because the typical 'journalist' these days is lazy as fuck, probably not all that sharp to begin with, and loves the intoxicating access.

Edited by wood
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

19 minutes ago, utee94 said:

In the olden days you could report errors like that to the editor.  

It's the Statesman so it wouldn't matter or change anything, but you could at least contact them.

Nowadays, eh..

Yep. They still don't care either way. My buddy shamed Lyttle yesterday on the twitter. Didn't we used to call him Kirk Bohls Jr, or something like that?

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

PSA...Lone Star Le Mans general admission tickets at COTA weekend of September 1 are on sale for $20 until 1 AM tomorrow. GA for three days that are priced at $69 usually.  Just picked up a couple.  

Anyone been to a WEC race at COTA and have any tips?  I've been to a couple F1 practices/races there and sat at turn 12.  This time I may try the GA section at turn 1 depending on attendance and how early I get there.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, MadTrapper said:

PSA...Lone Star Le Mans general admission tickets at COTA weekend of September 1 are on sale for $20 until 1 AM tomorrow. GA for three days that are priced at $69 usually.  Just picked up a couple.  

Anyone been to a WEC race at COTA and have any tips?  I've been to a couple F1 practices/races there and sat at turn 12.  This time I may try the GA section at turn 1 depending on attendance and how early I get there.

was there in 2020.  sit wherever you want, and move around because it's 6 hours and that's a long time.  bring earplugs if you want to be in the main grandstand, the LMP2 cars and GTLM cars were loud back then, that won't be any different (and the cadillac is loud too).  back half of the track was closed.

is there a promo code i didn't get?  only seeing the $69 tickets.

Edited by elfenix

17 minutes ago, elfenix said:

was there in 2020.  sit wherever you want, and move around because it's 6 hours and that's a long time.  bring earplugs if you want to be in the main grandstand, the LMP2 cars and GTLM cars were loud back then, that won't be any different (and the cadillac is loud too).  back half of the track was closed.

is there a promo code i didn't get?  only seeing the $69 tickets.

Sorry, code is 49HOURSONLY.  But not too much time left. My bad 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/15/2024 at 8:48 PM, MadTrapper said:

Yeah, don't ever go to a race at COTA in September. I was there when they had their only other WEC race in September, late September iirc. It was hot as fuck. Ant Davidson drove in that race and said not long ago that it was easily the hottest race he'd ever driven. "Dangerously hot", iirc. And this one will likely be hotter.

I'll probably go, but I doubt I'll get there before late afternoon.

• Hook 'Em 1

For sure.  I feel for the drivers and wish they'd hold this and the US GP no earlier than mid-to-late October. Need more shade for the fans, too, for races basically at the tail end of summer. 

Have just casually followed WEC and will be my first actual race to attend. 

2 hours ago, MadTrapper said:

For sure.  I feel for the drivers and wish they'd hold this and the US GP no earlier than mid-to-late October. Need more shade for the fans, too, for races basically at the tail end of summer. 

Have just casually followed WEC and will be my first actual race to attend. 

Yeah the extreme lack of shade/shelter out there is probably its biggest problem for attendees.

• 3 weeks later...

Can't find it anywhere, so asking here. 

What time is the LeMans race on Sunday 9/1?  And how will it be broadcast.  No way I'm taking the kids out there in my health, but would love to watch it with them on TV for a bit.  Thanks.

On 8/4/2024 at 12:39 PM, YGIFS said:

Can't find it anywhere, so asking here. 

What time is the LeMans race on Sunday 9/1?  And how will it be broadcast.  No way I'm taking the kids out there in my health, but would love to watch it with them on TV for a bit.  Thanks.

I think it's at 1PM, til 7. Crazy that they aren't using any nighttime hours. Gon' be hot AF. I think it's on Max, but not sure.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Updawg said:

That’s what I figured.

I went once when they had it until like 10pm. It rained hard that afternoon. I had a blast. It was fun watching all the classes race at night

Yep. It was awesome. Endurance racing should always be a day/night affair, imho. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I got a text about some more COTA resurfacing yesterday but haven't had a chance to go take a look yet. Will be out there in a couple of weeks for WEC. Good to see they finally paid some attention to the front straight. It's bumpy af. I see they're doing T1 again, too. That'll be at least the 3rd or 4th time. 

They've never actually resurfaced the whole thing, so I doubt this will be a full resurface, either. I think they're also doing the back straight and T18-19. This is the first time they've laid down new tarmac between the T20 exit and the T1 braking zone.

got-to-visit-cota-today-v0-0ibf1qg2h5hd1

got-to-visit-cota-today-v0-hohqy9g2h5hd1

got-to-visit-cota-today-v0-rju4heg2h5hd1

Edited by wood

I'm not sure what the problem is?  I'm sure the drivers will get a kick out of it.

It's not like everyone doesn't already play up the Texas thing.  Buying boots, cowboy hats, eating steaks and BBQ, riding horses in the paddock. :)

I put a topper on my 10 year old 4x4 Taco, ever so slightly bigger set of Michelins, and replaced broken fog lights with LEDs.  Will that count?? I think that will count.

The drivers can prep for the race by opening the sliding windows in the bed with no AC.

In case any of you want a USGP 3-day GA pass, I just saw this at Costco. $35 cheaper than ordering from COTA, and there are no Ticketmaster fees, so you'll save about $80 or so vs buying from COTA. 

20240820_132540.jpg

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My kid is out at COTA right now for WEC practice. He said everything from T3 to about T15 is closed to the fans. Not the first time we've seen this kind of thing here, but closing off half the track to paying customers for an FIA world championship series is just sooooo COTA.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

So in addition to closing at least half of the track, apparently COTA also kicked paying customers out of the T15 GS because there was a concert coming up in the Amphitheater. Can't have any freeloadin' race fans hearing a note or two of the concert without paying!

Just another in a long list of giant middle fingers COTA has given to racing fans.

Edited by wood

Hey has anyone ever been to Cars and Coffee at COTA?  My son is 14 now and starting to get into cars.  There are a couple of nearby car meets I've taken him to, but I'm curious if COTA gets more cars?  And also, since it's free and unregulated parking, does it become a total cluster?  Or are there just not enough spectators to make it bad?

5 hours ago, utee94 said:

Hey has anyone ever been to Cars and Coffee at COTA?  My son is 14 now and starting to get into cars.  There are a couple of nearby car meets I've taken him to, but I'm curious if COTA gets more cars?  And also, since it's free and unregulated parking, does it become a total cluster?  Or are there just not enough spectators to make it bad?

My 18 yo goes and has always liked it until the last time, when he said the cars were pretty meh and it's mostly the same cars over and over.. He says you have to park in Lot C and walk or shuttle over to Lot A. He said it's not usually too crowded.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, wood said:

My 18 yo goes and has always liked it until the last time, when he said the cars were pretty meh and it's mostly the same cars over and over.. He says you hav to park in Lot C and walk or shuttle over to Lot A. He said it's not usually too crowded.

Awesome thanks.  Even  a "poor" showing out there is probably more, and cooler, cars than he's seen when I've taken him to the local meet-ups at the nearby stop-n-rob, so I'm guessing at least one trip would probably be worth it.

The map shows spectator parking in Lot F with the actual "car show" in Lot H (which is where we used to park long long ago, before we started camping out there in Lot N).

bb078a207ac8d2e62c05f8964958901c-2024%20Cars%20and%20Coffee%20Map.jpg

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, wood said:

My 18 yo goes and has always liked it until the last time, when he said the cars were pretty meh and it's mostly the same cars over and over.. He says you have to park in Lot C and walk or shuttle over to Lot A. He said it's not usually too crowded.

Oh one other question-- Is there a suggested time to get out there that would give us the chance at seeing the greatest number of cars?  I'd imagine not everyone gets there first-thing and stays the whole time.

25 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Oh one other question-- Is there a suggested time to get out there that would give us the chance at seeing the greatest number of cars?  I'd imagine not everyone gets there first-thing and stays the whole time.

He said there are usually the most cars earlier on and people tend to leave little by little after that.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, utee94 said:

Agreed with everything posted above.  Earlier tends to be better, as folks start to disappear as it heats up.

For exotics: just about any event/show at Petrol Lounge is amazing.

For us, COTA is a bit far for a car show, so we tend to check out Pistons in the Park...good size show as well.

• Hook 'Em 1