Cool Pictures of Music Icons

dcbc

I thought some would appreciate this. I was at Kirk West studio in Macon yesterday and bought a few signed originals. This one is a promotional shot for Alvarez guitars he shot on a Hasselblad. Which is the only picture I’m aware of where he is actually holding an Alvarez. Of course he would have posed with a cigar box guitar if the money was right. He is sporting a pair of Lucchese boots as well.

IMG_5230.jpeg

Johnny..

IMG_5233.jpeg

Billy..

IMG_5231.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2024 at 7:52 AM, 59 Burst said:

Forgot one. Greg with his Hammond B3. 

IMG_5234.jpeg

Fucking legend.  

Also, a train wreck.  

Chaz Bono told a great story about Cher sending Greg to him up at school, when he was a her (Chastity).  Greg found the school, and then couldn't find the house.  They drive around Malibu for an hour or two looking for the house and can't find it.  Greg says fuck it, and finds a restaurant with a bar (Velvet Turtle, IIRC).  After drinking for a few hours, Greg mentions to another guy at the bar that he's lost.   They guy's a local, says "I know where you live, follow me".  The guy leads them home with Greg fairly lit, and Cher's waiting in the driveway, fuming, like Suzie Green. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The Vaughan / Stones relationship was an interesting one. SRV played the Continental from '80 until early '83 and one of his later shows was filmed. A few months later Jagger was at Manor Downs and runs into SRV's manager (Chesley Millikin). Jagger openly laments about the lack of "competent" blues guitarists in the world. Millikin gets Jagger a tape of the Continental show and it ends up in Watts' hands. He's astonished and the Stones fly up Double Trouble to NYC where the latter does a gig at a trendy place called Danceteria on West 21st Street. The Stones, Johnnie Winter, Andy Warhol and others were in attendance, not surprisingly blown away by the show. 

While big fans, Jagger and the Stones ultimately pass on signing SRV to their own record label as "blues records just don't sell well enough". 

image.png.351d28e9ad1df2d72aba21e2f18be171.png

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

The Vaughan / Stones relationship was an interesting one. SRV played the Continental from '80 until early '83 and one of his later shows was filmed. A few months later Jagger was at Manor Downs and runs into SRV's manager (Chesley Millikin). Jagger openly laments about the lack of "competent" blues guitarists in the world. Millikin gets Jagger a tape of the Continental show and it ends up in Watts' hands. He's astonished and the Stones fly up Double Trouble to NYC where the latter does a gig at a trendy place called Danceteria on West 21st Street. The Stones, Johnnie Winter, Andy Warhol and others were in attendance, not surprisingly blown away by the show. 

While big fans, Jagger and the Stones ultimately pass on signing SRV to their own record label as "blues records just don't sell well enough". 

Yup, but they stayed connected.  Witness Ronnie Wood & others checking out an early Arc Angels show at Steamboat.  

On 7/19/2024 at 12:56 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I didn't realize until recently how often various Stones were hanging out in Austin in the 80s and 90s.  Double Trouble, Arc Angels, Ian Mclagan, they were all a magnet for those guys.

that was easily peak Austin 

• Hook 'Em 2