2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story

horn4life

you know, i think it is the rank dishonesty that bothers me. 

everyone knows that a wall is impossible in texas, aside from places like el paso. trump is stuck on his wall, instead of meaningful comprehensive border security. 

there will be no wall, and everyone knows it. it's the stupidest political football i've ever seen.

• Like 1

I know we laugh and see all this as horseshit but the GOP is going all out active measures here which is really scary.  They are using every trick in the book on their most potent political issue (immigration) to protect this treasonous piece of shit and hurt a million of Americans. 

But haha because we all think they’re going to fall on their faces...

Don’t be so sure. The democrats aren’t built to fight this way.  They think the Republicans will just self destruct and they’ve been wrong every time going back to the 2016 election.

The democrats need to grab the microphones and cameras with both hands and attack McConnell for not taking a vote NOW.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

When I'm in the Valley on business, I'll stop by in Edinburgh to see family and friends and then head to McAllen for work or get hotel room, etc.  And I do know that a border wall would help with the setting southern sun.  It's always in my eyes as I drive due South.  Trump's plan would make sure that those last 15-20 bright minutes of awkwardness would have the bothersome sun blocked out by the wall.  I mean, I don't drive West much down in the Valley, but this would certainly help with that pesky setting sun in the south.

Praise Be...

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I know we laugh and see all this as horseshit but the GOP is going all out active measures here which is really scary.  They are using every trick in the book on their most potent political issue (immigration) to protect this treasonous piece of shit and hurt a million of Americans. 

But haha because we all think they’re going to fall on their faces...

Don’t be so sure. The democrats aren’t built to fight this way.  They think the Republicans will just self destruct and they’ve been wrong every time going back to the election.

The democrats need to grab the microphones and cameras with both hands and attack McConnell for not taking a vote NOW.

don't be such a pantywaist.  this isn't some psychological judo move.  this is the death rattle of a terrible idea.

To me the thing that I think is most telling is Mitch McConnell is NOWHERE TO BE SEEN?  Hasn't said a word on camera, not one. I think that we should take McCarthy's advice and put camera's in the negotiations.  Nancy pointed out the President was being dishonest and deceptive in his justification for the wall, and this upset McCarthy. It's all because AS A PARTY the GOP have become a group will embrace lies, to advance a political agenda.  Because the facts simply cannot be addressed by the President. It's like the guy on Jerry Springer who insists to his wife that there is no way in hell that lady's baby is his!  "i never even touched her! he strongly says! 😉 Then the DNA comes back and the gig is up...

Politically it's never good to hang your hat on something that only 25% of the country is in favor of, holding hostage of federal employees and other vulnerable groups.  It's especially bad to hang your hat on a policy based on lies that only 25% of the people support.  Especially when you say you will be "proud" to shut down the government to get what tyou want.  ESPECIALLY when you controlled all three branches of government for two fucking years!!!!!

Edited by horn4life

28 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

hey, pence, make sure you say "humanitarian and security crisis on our southern border" three times!

At least Bush/Cheney had multiple cabinet members making the rounds through the media repeating the "We don't want the smoking gun to be a mushroom cloud" mantra. It seems like Pence is doing the work of three people delivering the administration talking points. I don't know if there are any news channels he hasn't been on beating the "crisis!" drum. 

28 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Its bullshit and transparent that they are trying to trick the optics as a wall is border security and border security is a wall. I doubt the Dems would say no to funding for border security. 

this is a really good point that is not talked about more.  the dems are willing to fund border security, have said so countless times in the last month, but funding for drones, more personnel, more scanning equipment, etc.  the things on the list the border patrol sent congress of things they wanted.  the wall wasn't in the top 10, so shouldn't be prioritized that way as far as funding goes.

3 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Politically it's never good to hang your hat on something that only 25% of the country is in favor of

220px-Associate_Justice_Brett_Kavanaugh_

This is about holding on and consolidating power.  

It was Kavanaugh yesterday, a bullshit border Wall today.

This is, “How far will you go for Dear Leader?” 

It’s a loyalty test for a President that’s facing an insurmountable mountain of legal problems. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Its bullshit and transparent that they are trying to trick the optics as a wall is border security and border security is a wall. I doubt the Dems would say no to funding for border security. 

They already made an offer for $1+ Billion for border security. Trump rejected it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

220px-Associate_Justice_Brett_Kavanaugh_

This is about holding on and consolidating power.  

It was Kavanaugh yesterday, a bullshit border Wall today.

This is, “How far will you go for Dear Leader?” 

It’s a loyalty test for a President that’s facing an insurmountable mountain of legal problems. 

This reminds me a lot of their pushing Kavanaugh through but the Dems actually have power here. They better use it. 

I just sent this email to Cornin through his website (i.e., it will go straight into a trash bin):

As a Texas resident and voter I urge you to force a vote on the previously senate approved by acclamation resolution to reopen the federal  government that was approved by the HR last week (or a similar bill if they are not identical).    Hundreds of thousands of Americans are being harmed by the current shutdown, and important services are not being performed.  There is no need for these services to go undone and workers to lose pay in order to address the President's demand for border wall funding.  

I doubt it will make any difference, but I will be sending the same note to Cruz as well.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Couldn't we cover like 3 miles of border wall just using Kavanaugh's calendars?  

Trump could accept any offer already put in front of him and declare via tweet to his followers that he got his wall. And they'd believe him. If Limbaugh or Coulter tried to call him out, he could cut their legs off by declaring them Fake News. If challenged, I'd bet they'd go along and push his message. 

1 minute ago, DDD Dad said:

I just sent this email to Cornin through his website (i.e., it will go straight into a trash bin):

I doubt it will make any difference, but I will be sending the same note to Cruz as well.  

yeah, i am going to pen a rather critical message to cornyn's office. he knows texas and texans, and he knows a fucking wall is unreasonable. but he's just toeing the party line, because he's a coward. he's representing republicans first and texas second, and that's shameful.

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

I was flying this week, as I do almost every week, and I thanked the folks at the checkpoint for working, and told them I appreciated that they were showing up not knowing when they get paid next. One guy told me that he did know, because he also drives for Uber and will be doubling his time on that until he gets a new  full time job, because even though he needs the benefits, he can't make it if he misses a paycheck.

8 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Thank you for contacting the Office of Senator Ted Cruz. We are proud to represent the Lone Star State and appreciate hearing from you.

Your request will be processed as quickly as possible, but should you require more immediate assistance, please feel free to call either our office in Austin, TX, (512) 916-5834 or Washington, D.C., (202) 224-5922.

In case you'd like to call his office, here are his numbers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The democrats are fucking up by not screaming from the rooftops to get McConnell to take a vote.

They should be running all over the media saying, “Why doesn’t Mitch take the vote?  Who does the Senate work for, Trump or the American people?  Why won’t Mitch let our democracy work like it’s supposed to?”

Democrats suck at political warfare 

Honestly, they are probably doing it right.

Last night, Schumer fired one helluva shot across the bow of the SS Trump in his speech - he put this squarely on Trump, and today, Trump squarely owned it.

Now Trump is intent on driving the SS Trump straight into an iceberg.

The Democrats should throw out some measured/restrained speeches, and then get the hell out of Trump's way.  He will damage himself more than any Democrat can.

What a wasted opportunity.  How hard would it have been for Pelosi or Schumer just to say: "Mr. President, if you feel immigration is a crisis so great that you must shut down the government, I suggest you start by addressing the hundreds of illegal immigrants you employ through the Trump Organization, Mar a Lago and other business interests which you refuse to divest yourself from.  Apparently the crisis is not so dire that you refuse to continue to illegally profit from it."

I'd have said it to his ugly orange face.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Honestly, they are probably doing it right.

Last night, Schumer fired one helluva shot across the bow of the SS Trump in his speech - he put this squarely on Trump, and today, Trump squarely owned it.

Now Trump is intent on driving the SS Trump straight into an iceberg.

The Democrats should throw out some measured/restrained speeches, and then get the hell out of Trump's way.  He will damage himself more than any Democrat can.

No, Hugo is right. Once Trump has a heart attack and dies or is impeached and removed or loses reelection, the GOP's message will be that he was an aberration and that they had nothing to do with him. The Dems don't need to be arguing against Trump on this shit anymore. Trump himself knows he's fucked himself six ways from Sunday. The Dems need to be hanging this around the GOP's neck every time they speak. Everyone but his base knows that Trump is a big stupid racist sundowning toddler, but there are plenty of people who will easily ignore the fact that the Senate GOP could have stopped this shit at any moment by holding a vote on a bill they'd already unanimously passed. McConnell loves that the Dems are focusing on Trump right now.

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

No, Hugo is right. Once Trump has a heart attack and dies or is impeached and removed or loses reelection, the GOP's message will be that he was an aberration and that they had nothing to do with him. The Dems don't need to be arguing against Trump on this shit anymore. Trump himself knows he's fucked himself six ways from Sunday. The Dems need to be hanging this around the GOP's neck every time they speak. Everyone but his base knows that Trump is a big stupid racist sundowning toddler, but there are plenty of people who will easily ignore the fact that the Senate GOP could have stopped this shit at any moment by holding a vote on a bill they'd already unanimously passed. McConnell loves that the Dems are focusing on Trump right now.

there's a reason that the republican cadre with pence di dnot include mcconnell. that cat is keeping a lowass profile.

So he's screaming about security at the border, meanwhile he's refusing to pay the Coast Guard, TSA, Air Traffic Controllers, Federal Prison staff, etc.

Nothing says "I care about security" like not paying the folks keeping us safe.

Edited by DixonHur

Thank you for contacting Senator John Cornyn's office. If you need immediate assistance regarding an urgent or time sensitive matter you are personally experiencing with a federal agency, please call my Dallas office at (972) 239-1310. If you are seeking information or services from my offices that are NOT related to my Legislative duties, please visit my “For Texans" section for more information. Warmest Regards, Senator John Cornyn

Here's Cornyn's phone number if you'd like to voice your thoughts to his office.

• Like 2

I'm having trouble finding any way this ends well for the president or the GOP.  The base will of course blame the Dems, because they are fucking idiots, but the rest of the public seems to be seeing this.  Even the ones who weren't paying attention seem to be perking up.

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

To me the thing that I think is most telling is Mitch McConnell is NOWHERE TO BE SEEN?  Hasn't said a word on camera, not one. I think that we should take McCarthy's advice and put camera's in the negotiations.  Nancy pointed out the President was being dishonest and deceptive in his justification for the wall, and this upset McCarthy. It's all because AS A PARTY the GOP have become a group will embrace lies, to advance a political agenda.  Because the facts simply cannot be addressed by the President. It's like the guy on Jerry Springer who insists to his wife that there is no way in hell that lady's baby is his!  "i never even touched her! he strongly says! 😉 Then the DNA comes back and the gig is up...

Politically it's never good to hang your hat on something that only 25% of the country is in favor of, holding hostage of federal employees and other vulnerable groups.  It's especially bad to hang your hat on a policy based on lies that only 25% of the people support.  Especially when you say you will be "proud" to shut down the government to get what tyou want.  ESPECIALLY when you controlled all three branches of government for two fucking years!!!!!

He spoke today (1:00 mark of below video). Not spotted in anywhere in the video was his backbone. 

43 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I'm having trouble finding any way this ends well for the president or the GOP

The Trump experiment was never going to end well for anyone because it’s based in naked nihilism.  We’re at the beginning of the end now and the only question is how much institutional and physical destruction are the GOP/Trumpkins willing to tolerate before they hit the exit ramp?

It appears they’re willing to ride all the way off the cliff with Trump and not afraid to take an endless amount of innocent bystanders with them. 

The catastrophe is all but inevitable, the consequences are uncertain. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

14 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Why in the fuck would the Democrats do that when they have a federal court order preserving DACA?

Democrats should counter with Medicare for all, Warren anti-corruption legislation, net-neutrality, legalization of marijuana, Trump’s tax returns, protection for Mueller investigation, and a pony in exchange for $25B wall.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1