2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story

horn4life

Just now, GSU&UT said:

This freaked me the fuck out yesterday when I read it. This can't mean there's zero safety inspections happening on planes right now, can it?

airlines have their own mechanics and inspectors.

faa is there for oversight

i'm sure everything is fine though, and the airlines can be completely trusted without oversight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, hayden_horn said:

airlines have their own mechanics and inspectors.

faa is there for oversight

i'm sure everything is fine though, and the airlines can be completely trusted without oversight.

Okay, so basically "the market will decide" logic which was pointed out earlier. Ugh

1 minute ago, GSU&UT said:

This freaked me the fuck out yesterday when I read it. This can't mean there's zero safety inspections happening on planes right now, can it?

The airlines perform their own inspections, but the FAA double checks their work. I think that's correct anyway.

Just now, Chad Fuck said:

Yup. 

Fly and make money or, keep that jet on the ground at thousands of dollars lost per hour?  I mean, it's probably alright, right?  

http://fortune.com/2018/11/16/boeing-sued-lion-air-737-crash/

I have faith that the profit motive will take a back seat to the public good during these trying times.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Did the old ABIA thread make it over here from the old site? Because I've got a flight next Friday and am going to need on the ground updates as that gets closer.

I fly every week.  will likely post angry updates here next week when shit goes sideways. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

In case anyone is wondering, 

HOW THIS ENDS:

1. Trump orders McConnell to reopen government 

2. Mutiny in the Senate

Order your Bakker buckets now.

the senate won't mutiny. trump has them by the balls.

(hint: russian nra money)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Until enough people start feeling pain that the Senate Republicans cave and override Trump's veto.  A couple more weeks at the earliest, most likely.

And if they do, he spills the beans on all of them.

Of course, that's going to happen anyhow.  They just don't realize it yet.

Everything Trump touches dies.

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Until enough people start feeling pain that the Senate Republicans cave and override Trump's veto.  A couple more weeks at the earliest, most likely.

Notice that Democrats are not under any pressure to cave.

That tells you all you need to know about who is winning this politically.

8 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

Any guesses on how much longer this goes? Furloughed fed here. 

Until there are large impacts on big businesses, i.e. gop's base/corporate donors.  Once air travel grinds to a halt, companies can't go to court, etc. McConnell will probably have to act. Although,  he hasn't acted in a sane way in 2 years so who the fuck knows.

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Notice that Democrats are not under any pressure to cave.

That tells you all you need to know about who is winning this politically.

The democrats still have to deal with it, they have to act like they’re doing everything they can.

This sucks up a lot of energy that’s not focusing on the treason. 

Net win for Trump

I guess this is appropriate. SIAP.

$20 million raised in GoFundMe for Trump border wall to be refunded

Brian Kolfage, the veteran who created the account last month, originally pledged that “every single penny” would be refunded if the original goal had not been met. He updated the page on Friday, saying that the federal government would not be able to accept the $20 million soon.

While Kolfage said money donated to the original campaign would go to the government to fund a border wall, he wrote Friday that he has since formed a nonprofit corporation in Florida named “We Build the Wall, Inc.” to receive the GoFundMe contributions.

Since the original intent of the campaign’s promise has changed, GoFundMe said in a statement that the more than 337,000 people who donated will receive a refund.

This Kolfage guy is amazing. I'm sorry that you got 3 limbs blown off, but that doesn't allow you to be a con artist the rest of your life because of it. He also has another website, https://www.fight4freespeech.com/, that he started because he was upset over a private company shutting down some of his accounts. I just love how all sorts of people pop up these days to separate people from their money. It's like modern day snake oil salesmen.

Edit: And I forgot this is the same dude that apparently stole money destined for a veteran mentorship program. This guy is a regular 1 armed bandit.

Edited by relapse98
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Because it's politics. You are looking at it through the same lenses.

Yeah but there are dynamics to consider.

This shutdown is a defensive move by Trump to buy time.

According to the polling, the Republicans aren’t taking the bulk of the political hit. In fact, they’re in third place when it comes to assigning blame.  

Most people are blaming Trump 51%+

The Cult45 clowns are blaming democrats 32%

Around 10% are blaming Republicans.

The thing to ponder is why aren’t the Republicans protecting Trump from hanging himself? 

Yeah, they’re blaming the democrats as usual but they’re not pushing Trump to just end this and claim victory like he very well could.  Why? 

The democrats aren’t gaining anything from this shutdown either.

3 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Lawdy.  The marks are begging the cons to fleece them.  

What a world.

And again, when all of the rubble settles, it may be that my greatest regret is that I didn't dispense with all of my morality and decency and just jump on board the train of fleecing these idiots BLIND.  My MS-13 insurance, all that stuff.....there's millions to be made off of these idiots.  It's getting harder and harder to justify NOT fleecing them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And again, when all of the rubble settles, it may be that my greatest regret is that I didn't dispense with all of my morality and decency and just jump on board the train of fleecing these idiots BLIND.  My MS-13 insurance, all that stuff.....there's millions to be made off of these idiots.  It's getting harder and harder to justify NOT fleecing them.

Except for my bleeding heart and guilty conscience, I'd agree with you.

So the 1 armed wall dude. It's also interesting to me that he formed a 501c4 and not a 501c3.

I'm sure that was on purpose because 501c4s can:

may further its exempt purposes through lobbying as its primary activity without jeopardizing its exempt status

I think this guy might be a con artist. Just a hunch. Hopefully he doesn't have Kobach handling information.

• Like 1

The good thing about Justin Amash, whether you agree with him or not, is that he uses social media platforms in attempt to provide a transparent rationale for his votes. In this case I don't agree with his take, but at least he is out there communicating his rationale. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 2

So I assume in some past shutdowns they did not receive back pay for furloughed time?

I agree that agree that with his quick analysis, it appears bad policy, but if he could at least point out 1 single time where they were did not receive back pay.. they maybe he has a point. Everyone knows that everyone eventually has always (please look that up but I'm 99% certain on that, I'd like to be proven wrong so we all know) gotten back pay - so we are already operating under the assumption that each time we shut down the government, everyone gets paid in the end - its just sucks ass until then.

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

The good thing about Justin Amash, whether you agree with him or not, is that he uses social media platforms in attempt to provide a transparent rationale for his votes. In this case I don't agree with his take, but at least he is out there communicating his rationale. 

lmao there is no way that federal employee back pay is in the top 100 considerations (if there even were that many) that drove previous shut downs of the government.  That is total horseshit.  

31 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

My personal favorite. Dan Bongino's "Patriot Pantry", for when Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez turns your local grocery store into a human trafficking distribution center. 

DwaqI-GUYAAbN6y.jpg

Just now, retread said:

He's saving us from raping and pillaging by the browns.

Well, actually, with the various people not being paid - federal prison guards, TSA, Coast Guard, ATF, FBI, US Marshals, DEA... he doesn't seem to be trying very hard to keep us safe.

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

So, what has Donald Trump offered in these negotiations?

That's his big problem.  Even folks of middling intelligence understand in a hostage situation, who the hostage-taker is.

Trump is the terrorist has put a gun to the head of the Federal government, its employees, and everyone who depends on a functioning government, and said "gimme this thing that I want or I'll kill you."

And we've got the biggest pussies in the world, the GOP, telling us "OH LAWD JUST GIVE HIM WHAT HE WANTS!" 

And of course, we have the Trumpkins who -- like in any other case of nutbar zealot terrorism -- are the folks who sympathize with the jihadist.  That's our dynamic: the terrorist, his supporters, and the gutless cowards who want to negotiate with the terrorist.

And the Dems, who say "fuck that shit, you hurt people, it's on you.  We aren't going to reward and encourage future terrorism."  Which is the only right answer here.  Yes, people are going to suffer.  Badly.  That's what terrorists do.  The proper response is to then eliminate the fuck out of the terrorist movement.  This is a relatively long game.  The Dems need to play for the ultimate win, not the short term pain relief.

• Like 4