2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story

horn4life

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That's his big problem.  Even folks of middling intelligence understand in a hostage situation, who the hostage-taker is.

Trump is the terrorist has put a gun to the head of the Federal government, its employees, and everyone who depends on a functioning government, and said "gimme this thing that I want or I'll kill you."

And we've got the biggest pussies in the world, the GOP, telling us "OH LAWD JUST GIVE HIM WHAT HE WANTS!" 

And of course, we have the Trumpkins who -- like in any other case of nutbar zealot terrorism -- are the folks who sympathize with the jihadist.  That's our dynamic: the terrorist, his supporters, and the gutless cowards who want to negotiate with the terrorist.

And the Dems, who say "fuck that shit, you hurt people, it's on you.  We aren't going to reward and encourage future terrorism."  Which is the only right answer here.  Yes, people are going to suffer.  Badly.  That's what terrorists do.  The proper response is to then eliminate the fuck out of the terrorist movement.  This is a relatively long game.  The Dems need to play for the ultimate win, not the short term pain relief.

Speed4.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bolverk said:

Imagine being the DoT HR employee forced to work without pay to generate and pass out zero dollar paystubs to other employees.

The 21st century's response Death of a Salesman is somewhere in this.

Yeah but there are dynamics to consider.
This shutdown is a defensive move by Trump to buy time.
According to the polling, the Republicans aren’t taking the bulk of the political hit. In fact, they’re in third place when it comes to assigning blame.  
Most people are blaming Trump 51%+
The Cult45 clowns are blaming democrats 32%
Around 10% are blaming Republicans.
The thing to ponder is why aren’t the Republicans protecting Trump from hanging himself? 
Yeah, they’re blaming the democrats as usual but they’re not pushing Trump to just end this and claim victory like he very well could.  Why? 
The democrats aren’t gaining anything from this shutdown either.

10% blames -congressional- Republicans. The public fully IDs the Republican brand with Trump now. . And worse for them, the cross tabs sorta indicate to me that the 10% who blame congressional Republicans heavily include the 15ish % of Republicans who disapprove of Trump.

8 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The public blames Trump/Republicans 61% to 32% Democrats.

From a purely political standpoint, this couldn't be going any better for Democrats.

That really is a brutal margin.  I'd be curious to see what polling on past shutdowns shows -- I would surmise that in most of them, the margin of voter blame was much closer.

And, it tells you something about his core support: the masses who will blame the Dems for everything, no matter what, looks to range around 31-35% in every poll I've seen, from the start of the shutdown to now.  But understand -- no matter what happens, those people will never, ever budge.  Trump could shut down the government until Congress passes a law making every major league sports team change its name to "The Fighting Trumps," and 31-35% of the people would conclude that any refusal to do so is all on the Dems.

24 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

From a purely political standpoint, this couldn't be going any better for Democrats.

Yeah, just like Kavanaugh right?  

Less than a third of the country wanted Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court by the end. 

Big win for the democrats right?

Secret service is not being paid.  This seems like a real good strategy.

WASHINGTON – The men and women trained to sacrifice their own lives to protect Donald Trump’s have now missed a half month’s pay, thanks to the partial government shutdown the president bullied and blundered his way into over a border wall he had originally promised Mexico would pay for.

Trump, who claims a net worth of billions of dollars and used to pay his private security guard nearly $300,000 a year, does not appear to have taken any action to help Secret Service agents with mortgage, rent or day-to-day living expenses.

Like hundreds of thousands of other federal workers, the 7,000 employees of the Secret Service, including the protective details for Trump and his family as well as uniformed agents who guard the White House, were scheduled to be paid on Friday. It would have been the first paycheck of the new year, and the first after the holiday gift-giving season.

“These are the people who are closest to him and clearly put their lives on the line for him every single day,” said Rick Tyler, a Republican political consultant who worked on the campaign of rival GOP candidate Ted Cruz in the 2016 GOP primaries. “He has demonstrated no empathy for them over this situation.”

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-secret-service-paychecks-shutdown_us_5c390c8be4b0922a21d4ed8a

My bride finally hit the metaphorical wall, so to speak.

Because this was payday, and there was no direct deposit.  

Up until this afternoon, she had been doing fine, from a mental perspective.  She knew there was a shutdown, and she dutifully went to work each day, including this one, as scheduled.  But since she came home from work, she's in a different place.  Between her alternatively asking me for reassurance things are going to be fine, lashing out at President Shitstain and Team R, and worrying about bills/groceries/house payment, things have been kind of frazzled.

Edited by Francisco 2.0

42 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Up until this afternoon, she had been doing fine, from a mental perspective.  She knew there was a shutdown, and she dutifully went to work each day, including this one, as scheduled.  But since she came home from work, she's in a different place.  Between her alternatively asking me for reassurance things are going to be fine, lashing out at President Shitstain and Team R, and worrying about bills/groceries/house payment, things have been kind of frazzled.

She should call her mom for support

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

the comments are nearly universal condemnation, with an occasional maga idiot saying "build the wall now!"

it's actually kind of stunning how these guys are misreading this situation and completely capitulating to the orange hobgoblin

This whole thread is worth a read

But these stand out:

• Like 1

He may have played the timing right? Mueller report comes out early spring. Potential impeachment hearings in the House summer to early fall. Senate does not vote to convict. That would mean a full year before the '20 election. In today's 15 minute news cycles, that would be long forgotten by the time of the election. 

And if it weren't forgotten, it would remembered fondly by the 40% as that time when Cheeto gave it to the Ds.

Edited by retread

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

I can think of 32 ways how it could be going better. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

26 minutes ago, retread said:

He may have played the timing right? Mueller report comes out early spring. Potential impeachment hearings in the House summer to early fall. Senate does not vote to convict. That would mean a full year before the '20 election. In today's 15 minute news cycles, that would be long forgotten by the time of the election. 

And if it weren't forgotten, it would remembered fondly by the 40% as that time when Cheeto gave it to the Ds.

If the Senate let him off, he would be even more unhinged over the next 22 months or so.   He’s scared right now.  Really scared.  

Even if the Senate lets him off the hook, he and his family can’t avoid state charges. 

And every Dem running against an incumbent Republican Senator who defended Trump is going to focus their campaign around reminding voters of that fact.  Some states, the R might weather that storm, but nobody outside of Mueller and Co. knows right now just how bad the final report will be, and nobody knows how far and wide the state stuff is going to end up being.  

I’m sorry your wife is having to go through this.

Please tell her a stranger from Alabama wishes her the best and is very thankful for her and other hardworking and dedicated government employees who are continuing to do their jobs for our country despite being unpaid and being used as political pawns by the manbaby currently staining our White House.

I wish I could send her a virtual glass of wine!
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If the Senate let him off, he would be even more unhinged over the next 22 months or so.   He’s scared right now.  Really scared.  

Even if the Senate lets him off the hook, he and his family can’t avoid state charges. 

And every Dem running against an incumbent Republican Senator who defended Trump is going to focus their campaign around reminding voters of that fact.  Some states, the R might weather that storm, but nobody outside of Mueller and Co. knows right now just how bad the final report will be, and nobody knows how far and wide the state stuff is going to end up being.  

I know two things are going to freak him out. Jr. getting indicted, and SDNY waiting outside the WH gates if he loses the '20 election.

3 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Benedict Mitch doesn’t know what to do and even if he did would be too much of a coward to do it. He will go down in history way worse than trump. Imagine that. Not a good look.

Oh and the republicans are busy destroying themselves. Good. Keep it up,assholes. 

He’s not a coward. That would mean he knows what the right thing to do is and would in some way like to do it, but is too weak to do so because of some external reason.

Mitch doesn’t give two shits about doing the right thing. Mitch is straight fucking evil and loves being evil.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

He’s not a coward. That would mean he knows what the right thing to do is and would in some way like to do it, but is too weak to do so because of some external reason.

Mitch doesn’t give two shits about doing the right thing. Mitch is straight fucking evil and loves being evil.

Disagree. He’s smart enough to know what is going on, but he’s been blackmailed like Nancy graham and feels he has no choice.

The Russians know what they’re doing . They could probably blackmail you if they felt like it.

4 minutes ago, RayDog said:

The feds owe DC 5 million on their water bill so DC is contemplating shutting off the water to the White House  when they Are 30 days past due.

I can't wait for that morning crapper tweet.

Time to declare a national emergency to turn the water back on.

not to mention that the secret service wouldn’t allow it.  There must be fire sprinkler systems in the WH. 

9 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Disagree. He’s smart enough to know what is going on, but he’s been blackmailed like Nancy graham and feels he has no choice.

The Russians know what they’re doing . They could probably blackmail you if they felt like it.

It’s far more likely that they are just corrupted by our dysfunctional partisan politics and personal list for power. It doesn’t always have to be Russia. 

13 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

It’s far more likely that they are just corrupted by our dysfunctional partisan politics and personal list for power. It doesn’t always have to be Russia. 

Now that is some both sides equally bad that I can enjoy with me morning breakfast!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

Now that is some both sides equally bad that I can enjoy with me morning breakfast!

Enjoy a bit of reality with breakafast. If you just have to have a side of Russia with it, I recommend frying up some syrniki. 

Edited by Anastasis

23 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Enjoy a bit of reality with breakafast. If you just have to have a side of Russia with it, I recommend frying up some syrniki. 

The reality is that Russia is actually on the menu.  As a main course option.  The fact that it is a reasonably available choice should furrow your brow.  

• Pancho changed the title to 2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story