2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story

horn4life

12 hours ago, Mole said:

You all are giving Senate Republicans too much of a pass by focusing on the Turtle.

Lets be intellectually honest here. If the same bill actually came up for vote again, it would be something way less than 100-0. They’d lose a lot of votes trying to override a veto. Going against the vague list of grievances that is Trumpism has consequences. Loyalty to is the only coherent part of the ideology.

I suspect that there aren’t enough votes to turn on Trump but I haven’t really thought through any individual senator’s situation. Lots of senators would risk getting primaried and lose to the Trumpkin. The assumption that it would easily pass isn’t grounded in reality and assumes way too much courage and character for most of the senate.

Thats's one way to look at it.  Turtle boy is taking the heat for the Senate R's because.... well, he can and because he feasts on human blood, it doesn't matter to him.  Being from Kentucky, with a median education level of 5th grade has it's benefits, I suppose.

or

McConnell was taking the heat for Senate R's in the beginning when it was a cute symbolic shutdown over a weekend.  Now, there are rumblings that there are several R's who would flip including the usual cast of furrowed brow characters.  Could the D's get 4 such R's.... maybe in states whereby they're facing in extraordinarily difficult time with Moderates like Cory Gardner, Thom Tillis or Susan Collins.  What about newly elected resistance Republicans, like Romney, who have 6 years and can do the calculus and understand the percentages Trumpkins caring about a decision 5 years before campaign season are miniscule.   While this may have started as cover for the GOP Senators, I think this could be much more of cover for Trump.  Mitch doesn't want to have a vote because he knows it's the first step in eventually running up the white flag.  Trump may veto the bill and that would be an epic blight on his resume'.... for the quarter whipping the economy in to more disarray.  A lot of red numbers.  A lot of pissed off farmers and public corridor workers.  By the time this got back to the Senate for a veto vote, the canvas could look much different in a week or two.  Why open Pandora's box if you're Mitch?  Right now... he's in control.  If he allows it to go to vote, he loses his grip on the situation. 

It's a game of chicken right now..... who will blink?  The Dems have the overall momentum right now as the country is holding Trump responsible, but they also are known to capitulate because of those ole' bleeding hearts. 

Let's play a game.... if the clean CR bill went to a vote tomorrow in the Senate, what would be the count?

14 hours ago, bolverk said:

I realize I'm 7 hours late in responding to this according to Surly time. It was a busy day, so please forgive me. AfD's base is in the former East Germany that we had no control over in reforming. The former West Germany remains pretty dang liberal and accepting to immigrants by European standards.

Quick CSB: I, along with about 30 other Texas Tceh undergrads who were also studying German (my minor), spent the summer of 1993 living with families in a small East German farm village of about 800 called Wust (near Tangermunde, Magdeburg and Rathenow) as part of a German language program. Mind you, this was only a 2-3 years after the formal process of reunification.

Our particular village was really open to our presence likely because we spent so much money buying their beer and they were still desperately poor by Western standards. Plus, we were living among them and they were just as fascinated by us as we were by them. However, there was a neighboring village where a group of teenage boys had ALREADY established a Nazi-type attitude, which the local teenagers in Wust later had to explain to us.

Anyway, one night shortly after our arrival, everyone between the ages of 15-25 were at the community center next to the soccer fields drinking, carrying on, having a good time when the other neighboring village dudes (whom we hadn't previously met) showed up. They seemed pleasant enough to us at first - granted we were 95% Anglo - and we all drank and spoke in the best German we could muster along a long table with benched seating.

Now, I missed the signal that warranted it, but after a couple hours, they all stood up in unison at the table, clicked their heels, gave the Nazi salute, shouted out a vigorous Sieg Heil, and promptly left. We were all completely stunned and were like "WTF?" Of course, only after they left, did the locals tell us they had all been worried at the arrival of the others because they knew full well that they had shown up to cause trouble. Apparently, they ended up liking us though.

My point is that eastern Germany was and still is broken from a social perspective and that the Nazi scourge was never really eradicated in the East as it had been in the West. Just food for thought.

So the East Germans are like the Confederate Lost Cause defenders here? Seems about right.

37 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

I don't believe that's true. I do believe congress could work together, cobble together a bill that could pass both houses with a veto proof majority and send it to the idiot, let him veto it, override that veto and voila.

So yeah, do your job, turtle. If the orange retard won't lead, pull your head out of your shell and be a leader.

Never gonna happen.

I'd really like Nancy and the House to announce that they are going to work around the hamberderler in the white house and work with the senate to come up with a bicameral bill that is veto proof and then create a committee or something, invite the senate and then dare them to not work together with the house.

Where the fuck is our modern day Barbara Jordan?

1 minute ago, relapse98 said:

I'd really like Nancy and the House to announce that they are going to work around the hamberderler in the white house and work with the senate to come up with a bicameral bill that is veto proof and then create a committee or something, invite the senate and then dare them to not work together with the house.

Gotta get around Mitch too.  So.... Hamburglar and Grimace.

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

AOC.

Drops mic.

3 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

AOC.

Eh. Listen to Barbara Jordan speak. People were drawn to her and she could get them past their differences. There was something about what she said and how she said it that had some sort of magic. AOC.. man, I just don't get that vibe, AT ALL, from her.

Edited by relapse98

Eh. Listen to Barbara Jordan speak. People were drawn to her could get over differences. There was something about what she said and how she said it that had some sort of magic. AOC.. man, I just don't get that vibe, AT ALL, from her.

Check thy sarcasm meter Sir Broseefus.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Trump probably thinks bi-cameral is a gay arab.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Trump probably thinks bi-cameral is a gay arab.  

"L0ok, I haven't spoken to Trump about it, but I'm pretty sure it's not gay if Putin doesn't nut in his tiny anus mouth. He's not bicameral, he's married to Melania." - Huckabeef Sandwich

Edited by Js1

14 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Given that Nancy and the House already passed the identical bill to what passed the Senate 100-0, what sort of "bicameral bill" are you envisioning?

1 minute ago, lemonlime said:

Given that Nancy and the House already passed the identical bill to what passed the Senate 100-0, what sort of "bicameral bill" are you envisioning?

Beats me, I guess they have their reasons for not pressuring the turtle in bringing the bill up for a vote. So get their input on what it would take to get them to vote for it, again. Currently they are all being shielded by one person and don't really have to take a stand. So invite them into a discussion and get it recorded that more than McConnell don't want to discuss - if they don't come.

6 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Beats me, I guess they have their reasons for not pressuring the turtle in bringing the bill up for a vote. So get their input on what it would take to get them to vote for it, again. Currently they are all being shielded by one person and don't really have to take a stand. So invite them into a discussion and get it recorded that more than McConnell don't want to discuss - if they don't come.

Most of their reasons for pressuring turtle boy into a vote have to do with party allegiance and the fear of political blowback from Trump, which could be getting primary'd.  In other words, a lot of fear.  They're a fragile bunch.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UncleCharlie said:

All because 30% of our country is scared of anyone darker than Powder.  Seriously Cheeto, you fear a coup from the MSM, you might get one from your military.

Or, as I saw a thread on an article yesterday:

"It's their own fault, they joined the easy branch". And that was from an Army Veteran. It's great when Vets don't even stick up for currently serving guys.

6 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Or, as I saw a thread on an article yesterday:

"It's their own fault, they joined the easy branch". And that was from an Army Veteran. It's great when Vets don't even stick up for currently serving guys.

Vets won't even stick up for other vets from their own service if they dare speak out against the cheeto. 

I was in a meeting today with a boomer saying he hopes Trump holds his ground and then went on to note how the airports are less safe.  

I told him, you know if something goes horribly wrong it’s going to be Trump’s fault, right? 

He agreed and then went on to tell me 9/11 was an inside job by the Bush Administration. 

I then said, “Yeah, I’ve got to go.”

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

75-25 it passes or something like that I'd speculate. 

This seems like a lot. Maybe you’re right, I haven’t thought through or seen a breakdown of likely votes, but it still seems like a lot to me. Specifically, this would be a vote to override a veto, which could be seen as a fundamental rejection of Trumpism and Trump himself. This is the signature vague grievance of the Trump movement. Among Trumpkin acquaintances, I’ve seen more support for the wall, whatever that actually means, than any other issue. Those who support the wall are pretty motivated. On the other hand, those who are against the wall are mostly against this particular pointless exercise, not walls in general. It’s bound to be less motivating.

You’re way more optimistic than me, because I don’t think we have that many R senators with that kind of sense of public service to stand up to Trump. I wrote my senators last week telling them to grow a pair and that this is their fault, but I also waste my time on other ways as well.

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

It’s not like the coast guard has any work related to border security or immigration enforcement, so fuck ‘em. Right?

(loud whisper: this isn’t about “border security”)

It’s just the coasties. Hardly anyone even bothers to play their song on Veterans Day. No one even knows the words or recognizes the tune to Semper Parallelogram anyway.

8 minutes ago, Mole said:

This seems like a lot. 

They couldn’t get all the Republicans on board before the shutdown.  A handful of them were already saying NO to the 5.7 billion wall money before the shutdown. 

The truth is no one really wants to fund the wall except a few kooks in the house. 

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

They couldn’t get all the Republicans on board before the shutdown.  A handful of them were already saying NO to the 5.7 billion wall money before the shutdown. 

The truth is no one really wants to fund the wall except a few kooks in the house. 

There's a reason why the immigration hardliners won't trade the wall for DACA:  They know it's bullshit.  They are holding out DACA for legal immigration reductions. Nobody gives a shit about the wall except Trump.

This will go on until McConnell becomes legitimately worried about his majority in the 2020 elections. What amount of economic pain and suffering that will take, I don't know.  Is it O'Hare being shut down due to a TSA sick out?  Or do we need this thing to drag us into a recession?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

This will go on until McConnell becomes legitimately worried about his majority in the 2020 elections. What amount of economic pain and suffering that will take, I don't know.  Is it O'Hare being shut down due to a TSA sick out?  Or do we need this thing to drag us into a recession?

Mutiny in the Senate is how this ends.  

I honestly don't know.  We are in uncharted territory right now.

You've got roughly 800,000 American's, plus untold number of contractors, not being paid right now.  That lack of pay is going to start rippling through communities.  At some point, Mt. Sen. Steve Daines (which has a ton of feds) is going to start yelling at McConnell.  With the Senators from WY, ID, WV, right on his heels.

Then at the end of February, food stamps will stop.  And I'm sure the IRS people they call back without pay are really going to work hard to turn around tax returns.

Edited by Bateshorn

7 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

So what are the rules with replacing Senate majority leader mid session?   Is the turtle guaranteed the position  for the full year or can he be voted out at anytime?  Wishful thinking I know but just wondering if it’s possible 

i have to wonder if there are good policy reasons for having a legislative body able to be paralyzed by its leadership.

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Whitman said:

Not obtuse, just pointing out that people like to play with or omit words.   You did here too when you left out the word "THIS" before senate.  And now that Trump won't support it, I don't know what the vote would be.  Parties seem to stick together for good or bad.

Screen-Shot-2019-01-14-at-4-08-17-PM.png

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

What could possibly go wrong when you don't pay the troops? It's probably happened tons of times throughout history and nothing ever came of it. 

7 minutes ago, Mole said:

Fake news.

• Like 1

From my understanding McConnell is pretty much not removable as leader.  It’s legally possible because they set their own rules, but incredibly unlikely.

However, if GOP Senators really wanted to push McConnell, they could start publicly calling him out or step down if it got bad enough. 

That’s an insanely long way away though, almost unimaginable.

• Pancho changed the title to 2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story